Final rankings for teams that made state-
1. Ankeny
2. Kennedy
3. Fort Dodge
4. Dowling
5. Valley
6. Iowa City West
8. Linn-Mar

Kinda odd that you've got the 3rd and 4th ranked and 5th and 6th ranked teams facing off in the 1st round. Should be a lot of good games though.

Don't be surprised to see Valley and Dowling advance. The CIML is, hands down, significantly tougher than Mississippi Valley.

The CIML is better than the MVC at baseball this year, but not by that much. Linn-Mar, Kennedy, and City West can hold their own against any team in the state.

Originally posted by RoseBowlB0und:
The ciml has absolutely no respect for the eastern side of the state.

I wonder if the CIML winning 15 of the last 17 4A state titles has anything to do with that?

The CIML is a little better this year at the Top, but I take the MVC if I want balance top to bottom.

North, Hoover, Ames, and Lincoln(After June 11th) were really bad baseball teams this year.

W'loo West, East, and CR Wash were all bad, but West and Wash at least challenged some of the top teams. Lincoln beat Dowling early on, but that was before June 11th.

Ankeny hasn't seen any MVC teams other than 6-33 Waterloo West.
Dowling hasn't played any MVC teams.
Valley barely beat 9-30 CR Wash early on, beat IC West in a tournament ICW 3rd or 4th best pitcher for both teams.

CIML is only 10-6 against the MVC and none of the match-ups were really notable since none of them involved both teams Ace Pitchers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on what I know and have seen based on scores. Ankeny, Kennedy, and Fort Dodge are a step above the others. Mainly because most if not all teams throw the top pitcher for the first game of every doubleheader. Those 3 teams haven't lost the 1st game of a doubleheader all season.

Dowling Lost to Lincoln, Ankeny(Twice in Game 1/Once swept), and SEP swept them as well.
Valley was beat Twice by Fort Dodge in Game 1.
IC West needs the offense to be clicking to have a shot as they were beat Game 1 by Kennedy and swept by an average at best CR Jefferson team.
Linn Mar was beat by 5 teams in Game 1 and swept Twice(Pleasant Valley and North Scott).

Davenport North has been beaten on several occasions in Game 1, but when Fries pitches they have beaten some pretty good teams and should have won some others. Games he started... IC High(Win), Clinton(5IP 1H 1BB 6K... Lost 5-3), PV(Win), Burlington(Game 2-Win), Bettendorf(Game 2-Win), PV(Districts-Win), Bettendorf(Districts-Win)

Fries- He came in as a relief pitcher and lost to Dav West. He has 3 games of 10+ K's(IC High 12, Burlington 10, Bettendorf-Substate 10) . I assume he is good at catching the corners on some umpires strike zones, because he has 6 K's or less in all other games.

They may give Ankeny an issue if Ankeny doesn't get to Fries early.

Ill say this, dont be suprised to see Fort Dodge make an extremely poor showing. They didnt impress while beating Valley either time. Valley absolutely beat themselves both those games.

Hey RoseBowl, that is part of the game...if u play bad defense and kick the ball around, then u do not deserve to win. Just because you are good offensively doesn't mean you are a good team.

Pitching and defense is the name of the game come tourny time....offense is just icing on the cake.

Ill say this, dont be suprised to see Fort Dodge make an extremely poor showing. They didnt impress while beating Valley either time. Valley absolutely beat themselves both those games.

Agreed. Fort Dodge is waaaay overrated. Don't be surprised if LeWarne holds them scoreless.

Fort Dodge goes one and done.

And Fries is going to have his hands full. We played Ankeny and I guarantee Davenport North hasn't seen an offensive line-up like Ankeny's; punishing (one through nine).

Originally posted by maxstabs13:

IC West needs the offense to be clicking to have a shot as they were beat Game 1 by Kennedy
Actually IC West won the first game of that doubleheader, quikstats has the order wrong.

This post was edited on 7/23 4:04 PM by Stonesthatroll

This is funny because if I remember right....Fort Dodge beat both Valley (2-2) and Dowling (1-0)this year.

This post was edited on 7/23 4:05 PM by Johnny2hotty

This post was edited on 7/23 4:06 PM by Johnny2hotty

Somebody is bitter, perhaps?
smokin.r191677.gif

Bitter? no. Just upset Valley lost to an inferior team twice.

About the Ankeny game, davenport has a shot if fries can throw his off speed for strikes. Ankeny sits dead red and it will be an adjustment playing on a bigger field for the hawks.

If were looking for common teams for the two (Ankeny and North) both played Muscatine this year. Muscatine beat Ankeny and Muscatine went 1-1 vs Davenport North.

Obviously this means nothing, but is something fun for a message board to see.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, however, baseball-for quite some time now-is a numbers game. How can you statistically argue that FD is an inferior team than Valley when they have split this year? FD won the conference and beat a Dowling team that Valley lost to. I am not saying FD is better, but inferior is not accurate.

IMO, The larger field plays right into Ankeny's strength ... power (certainly did earlier in the year when they beat Waukee at Principal Park; lots of balls over Waukee outfielder's heads).

Interestingly, Ankeny played 24 home games. Their opponents hit ONE home run on that "little league" field you reference.

I guess I'm saying, even if the size of the field compromises Ankeny's offense, their opponents don't seem to score much ... anywhere.

FD Way over rated?? They won 34 games, won their conference and have been to state many times recently. Look for them to win both of their games on their side of the bracket. It might be a stretch for them to win all 3 tho. Fort Dodge is the real deal.

The CIML Iowa was down this year. Mason City dropped off a cliff, Valley, desperately, missed Stagg and FD really was significantly better last year (no one close to Peters, Arends, Lombard, etc. on this year's team). Quite sure Dowling's

LeWarne will shut them down. (Low scoring affair, however.)

Bitter? no. Just upset Valley lost to an inferior team twice.

About the Ankeny game, davenport has a shot if fries can throw his off speed for strikes. Ankeny sits dead red and it will be an adjustment playing on a bigger field for the hawks.
Nah no it's okay. I know where you're coming from. Don't have to hide your association.

We get it. You didn't like Valley losing to Fort Dodge.

Valley also lost to Waukee once and FD swept them. Lost both your games against Dowling, lost 11-1 to Johnston and even lost to Des Moines East.

So yeah I think we can definitely take your subjective word for it that Valley is a superior team to Fort Dodge.
noidea.gif

This post was edited on 7/25 6:53 PM by DarkThunder#61

Originally posted by Tear Lake:

The CIML Iowa was down this year. Mason City dropped off a cliff, Valley, desperately, missed Stagg and FD really was significantly better last year (no one close to Peters, Arends, Lombard, etc. on this year's team). Quite sure Dowling's

LeWarne will shut them down. (Low scoring affair, however.)
You being quite sure seems to be about as reliable as a coin flip into a pool of coins.

Valley has "Superior" talent??? SS can't make a throw to 2nd, 2nd baseman does get the out at 2-but blows a taylor made dp, left fielder over runs a routine basehit. Come on, Polly did make a nice throw to get the runner at home in the 6th. Hardly superior team.

Interesting that Dowling starts their #2 on the mound tonight.

I hope Dowling's coaching staff isn't overconfident.

So I did some quick research on 4A teams at state since 2005 and here's the overview:

Champions:

2005- Valley

2006- Valley

2007- Urbandale

2008- Johnston

2009- Sioux City North

2010- CR Kennedy

2011- Dowling

In total, 26 4A teams have reached state since 2005, which I believe is a little over 54% of the teams that played in 4A in that time span. Was this year the first they've only had the top 40?

Cedar Rapids Kennedy leads all teams in that span, as they made their 6th appearance at state today defeating Linn-Mar 13-1 to advance to the semifinals. They lost to Valley in the Finals in 2006 and the only year they missed playing in Des Moines was in 2009. (CR Washington represented the area that year)

Dowling and Iowa City West are making their 4th straight trips to the state tournament. West was defeated by Valley today while defending state champion Dowling is currently facing Fort Dodge.

This was the first year in this time frame that West has not advanced to at least the semifinals at state. They settled for silver in 2009 and 2010.

Fort Dodge and Ankeny joined Iowa City West as the only 4A teams with 5 state tourney appearances since 2005, just one behind CR Kennedy.

Ankeny finished 2nd in 2005 and advanced to the semifinals earlier today with a win over Davenport North.

Fort Dodge has reached the semifinals in '07, '09, and '11.

Dowling and Davenport Central are next in line with 4 state tournament appearances since 2005. Central was a semifinalist in 2006 and a runner-up in 2007.

IC West leads all teams with 4 semifinals appearances (or winning at least one game at state). CR Kennedy, Mason City and Fort Dodge are next with 3 semifinals appearances. Mason City lost to Dowling last year in the Finals while Fort Dodge hasn't reached the championship round since 1989 (they lost to Dowling, 8-5.....of course the last meeting at state between the two was in 2009, a nail-biting 4-2 win by FD)

*- CR Kennedy and Fort Dodge joined West as both advanced to the semifinals with opening round victories yesterday and today, respectively. Kennedy and Fort Dodge now play for a spot in the finals.

Valley is making their first state tournament appearance (3rd since 2005) since 2006 when they won the title.

And for the 8 teams at state here is the total number of state appearances in their schools' history:

Ankeny- 11th, (1st in 1992; 2nd in 1993, 1999, 2005)

CR Kennedy- 14th (1st in 2010; 2nd in 1969, 2002, 2006)

Dav. North- 2nd

Dowling- 16th (1st in 1988, 1989, 1999, 2001, 2011; 2nd in 1981)

Fort Dodge- 13th (1st in 1969; 2nd in 1989)

IC West- 7th (2nd in 2009, 2010)

Linn-Mar- 4th

Valley- 12th (1st in 1955, 1995, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)

Other notes:

-Valley now has 20 wins at state, which moves them into a tie for 3rd on the all-time charts

-Dowling is tied for 2nd with Mason City Newman for most state tournament appearances (16)
This post was edited on 7/26 12:15 PM by DarkThunder#61

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:
So I did some quick research on 4A teams at state since 2005 and here's the overview:

Champions:

2005- Valley

2006- Valley

2007- Urbandale

2008- Johnston

2009- Sioux City North

2010- CR Kennedy

2011- Dowling

In total, 26 4A teams have reached state since 2005, which I believe is a little over 54% of the teams that played in 4A in that time span. Was this year the first they've only had the top 40?

Cedar Rapids Kennedy leads all teams in that span, as they made their 6th appearance at state today bowing out against Linn-Mar in the qtrs (Linn-Mar's first-ever state tournament victory). They lost to Valley in the Finals in 2006 and the only year they missed playing in Des Moines was in 2009. (CR Washington represented the area that year)

Dowling and Iowa City West are making their 4th straight trips to the state tournament. West was defeated by Valley today while defending state champion Dowling is currently facing Fort Dodge.

This was the first year in this time frame that West has not advanced to at least the semifinals at state. They settled for silver in 2009 and 2010.

Fort Dodge and Ankeny joined Iowa City West as the only 4A teams with 5 state tourney appearances since 2005, just one behind CR Kennedy.

Ankeny finished 2nd in 2005 and advanced to the semifinals earlier today with a win over Davenport North.

Fort Dodge has reached the semifinals in '07, '09, and '11.

Dowling and Davenport Central are next in line with 4 state tournament appearances since 2005. Central was a semifinalist in 2006 and a runner-up in 2007.

IC West leads all teams with 4 semifinals appearances (or winning at least one game at state). CR Kennedy, Mason City and Fort Dodge are next with 3 semifinals appearances. Mason City lost to Dowling last year in the Finals while Fort Dodge hasn't reached the championship round since 1989 (they lost to Dowling, 8-5.....of course the last meeting at state between the two was in 2009, a nail-biting 4-2 win by FD)

Valley is making their first state tournament appearance (3rd since 2005) since 2006 when they won the title.

And for the 8 teams at state here is the total number of state appearances in their schools' history:

Ankeny- 11th, (1st in 1992; 2nd in 1993, 1999, 2005)

CR Kennedy- 14th (1st in 2010; 2nd in 1969, 2002, 2006)

Dav. North- 2nd

Dowling- 16th (1st in 1988, 1989, 1999, 2001, 2011; 2nd in 1981)

Fort Dodge- 13th (1st in 1969; 2nd in 1989)

IC West- 7th (2nd in 2009, 2010)

Linn-Mar- 4th

Valley- 12th (1st in 1955, 1995, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006)

Other notes:

-Valley now has 20 wins at state, which moves them into a tie for 3rd on the all-time charts

-Dowling is tied for 2nd with Mason City Newman for most state tournament appearances (16)
Good work, CRK won that game 13-1 though.

Originally posted by Tear Lake:

Interesting that Dowling starts their #2 on the mound tonight.

I hope Dowling's coaching staff isn't overconfident.
As a bit of an insider, I think Dowling has 4-5 guys they feel pretty comfortable with. They really don't have a clear #1. Technically, you'd probably call Reinhart their #4/5 guy. But he is getting Division 1 looks as a junior. And his stuff is possibly the best of the bunch.

Whoops. I'll fix that. I think they had the score mixed up on the website last night.

Fort Dodge rallies with 2 runs in the bottom of the 7th without surrendering an out to defeat Dowling 5-4, and advance to the semifinals for the 4th time under Coach Elsbecker.

FD got a 1-0 lead after the 1st inning before a rain delay forced the game to resume play at 10 this morning.

The Dodgers will now face CR Kennedy for a spot in the finals.

I watched the games yesterday and the warm ups/1st inning of WDMD and FD. I don't know who was hating on FD, but they have OF's with great arms and very solid defense. They may not have the best pitching, but the defense looks great.

Dowling on the other hand. The CF has a big arm but not distance judgment/accuracy. He missed the cutoff in every warm up throw and only connected on a dart to home from 10-15 feet into the outfield for his final throw. The Right Fielder had the best fielding of the OF's. The left fielder had an average arm and misjudged the ball in the warmup 2-3 times.

The RF error by Linn Mar didn't win or lose the game, but seemed to be the turning point in the game. Kennedy started hitting the ball like crazy after it and couldn't hit prior to it.

Originally posted by Saydel Rules:

Agreed. Fort Dodge is waaaay overrated. Don't be surprised if LeWarne holds them scoreless.

Fort Dodge goes one and done.
Hmmmm, no. No, I don't believe this is correct.

After watching these guys for 2 games now, this is the best product the largest school in the state can put out there?????

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT