ADVERTISEMENT

Would be Final Point System Rankings

screwloose

Varsity
Sep 27, 2002
I was bored, so I went through the field of contenders, to see who would be playoff bound had the IHSAA stuck to the old point system. This is the system they used pre-RPI, pre- straight district finish, etc. Teams were given a specific number of points for wins and losses based on whether their opponent was a first-division team(winning record) or a second-division team(losing record). You were also penalized for playing an opponent below 4A.

Now I'm using the following assumptions for Week 9; C.F beats CRP, F.D beats MAR, SEP beats DMR, ANK beats SCE and all contenders win against non-contenders. On a side note, anybody else notice that there are no teams in 4A with a record of 4-4? Very strange.

Points, Team(Record) - Notes if any for tiebreaker
430, West Des Moines Valley(9-0)
425, Cedar Falls(9-0)
415, West Des Moines Dowling(8-1)
410, Ankeny Centennial(8-1)
405, Cedar Rapids Kennedy(8-1)
395, Southeast Polk(7-2)
385, Linn-Mar(7-2)
375, Ankeny(6-3) - better opponent's record, 48-33 to 46-35 over Waukee
375, Waukee(6-3) - better opponent's record, 46-35 to 35-46 over Bettendorf
375, Bettendorf(7-2)
370, Des Moines Roosevelt(6-3) - head-to-head victory over Fort Dodge
370, Fort Dodge(6-3)
365, Cedar Rapids Prairie(6-3) - better opponent's record, 45-36 to 39-42 over Urbandale after head-to-head win over Dubuque Senior
365, Urbandale(6-3)
365, Dubuque Senior(6-3)
360, Indianola(6-3)

355, Davenport North(6-3)
350, Johnston(5-4)
350, Sioux City East(6-3)
325, Marshalltown(5-4)

Aww, what the hell? I'll throw together an old school bracket also. Remember, back in the day, teams with the highest point totals received home field, not necessarily District or Conference champions.

] Indianola @ West Des Moines Valley
]----------]
] Waukee @ Ankeny
-------------------------]
] Urbandale @ Southeast Polk
]----------]
] Fort Dodge @ West Des Moines Dowling
----------------------------------------]
] Des Moines Roosevelt @ Ankeny Centennial
]----------]
] Cedar Rapids Prairie @ Cedar Rapids Kennedy
-------------------------]
] Bettendorf @ Linn-Mar
]----------]
] Dubuque Senior @ Cedar Falls

Reactions: CF_93
I was bored, so I went through the field of contenders, to see who would be playoff bound had the IHSAA stuck to the old point system. This is the system they used pre-RPI, pre- straight district finish, etc. Teams were given a specific number of points for wins and losses based on whether their opponent was a first-division team(winning record) or a second-division team(losing record). You were also penalized for playing an opponent below 4A.

Now I'm using the following assumptions for Week 9; C.F beats CRP, F.D beats MAR, SEP beats DMR, ANK beats SCE and all contenders win against non-contenders. On a side note, anybody else notice that there are no teams in 4A with a record of 4-4? Very strange.

Points, Team(Record) - Notes if any for tiebreaker
430, West Des Moines Valley(9-0)
425, Cedar Falls(9-0)
415, West Des Moines Dowling(8-1)
410, Ankeny Centennial(8-1)
405, Cedar Rapids Kennedy(8-1)
395, Southeast Polk(7-2)
385, Linn-Mar(7-2)
375, Ankeny(6-3) - better opponent's record, 48-33 to 46-35 over Waukee
375, Waukee(6-3) - better opponent's record, 46-35 to 35-46 over Bettendorf
375, Bettendorf(7-2)
370, Des Moines Roosevelt(6-3) - head-to-head victory over Fort Dodge
370, Fort Dodge(6-3)
365, Cedar Rapids Prairie(6-3) - better opponent's record, 45-36 to 39-42 over Urbandale after head-to-head win over Dubuque Senior
365, Urbandale(6-3)
365, Dubuque Senior(6-3)
360, Indianola(6-3)

355, Davenport North(6-3)
350, Johnston(5-4)
350, Sioux City East(6-3)
325, Marshalltown(5-4)
What I find interesting is Bettendorf not rated highly as I thought they would be even with 2 losses, it is just unusual

What I find interesting is Bettendorf not rated highly as I thought they would be even with 2 losses, it is just unusual
It has a lot to do with their opponents records. If you set aside the relative weakness of teams in their district (other CRK), their non-district opponents (other than CF), all have 3-5 records this year, which when compared to last year both ICW & PV made the playoffs, just bad “luck” of opponents off year. Their two losses were by 3 points to CF (which they led going into a 1 hour weather delay) and 10 points to CRK ( which they led 12-0 going into half time). I guess they need to figure out how to play a complete game.

It has a lot to do with their opponents records. If you set aside the relative weakness of teams in their district (other CRK), their non-district opponents (other than CF), all have 3-5 records this year, which when compared to last year both ICW & PV made the playoffs, just bad “luck” of opponents off year. Their two losses were by 3 points to CF (which they led going into a 1 hour weather delay) and 10 points to CRK ( which they led 12-0 going into half time). I guess they need to figure out how to play a complete game.
That could be, but I think Bettendorf does have a chance to move up some more.

I liked the number cruncher he is always pretty accurate

What were the old points?

Win vs Winning Record = 50
Win vs Losing Record = 45
Loss vs Winning Record = 30
Loss vs Losing Record = 25

Correct?

What were the old points?

Win vs Winning Record = 50
Win vs Losing Record = 45
Loss vs Winning Record = 30
Loss vs Losing Record = 25

Correct?

And take off 5 in each category for playing down a class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT