ADVERTISEMENT

Woodward Academy

SEP, while it may have started innocuous enough it quickly devolved into accusations of rule breaking, complaints of unfairness, and the clear connotation that these young men don't deserve to be playing at state because of their past. That is where I and others have taken offense. But to say those connotations were not a part of the original post is disingenuous indeed.

This year they are 16-7 in hoops. 5 schools beat them and no one was complaining bout this issues then.

2013-14 Season they went 4-15 and no one was complaining then

2012-13 season they went 10-14 and no one was complaining then

2011-12 season they went 14-9 and did not hear to many complaints.

2010-11 season 9-11

2009-10 season 11-9

2008-09 season 9-10

2007-08 season No team

73 wins 75 losses

FOOTBALL

2014 season went 1-8

2013 season went 1-8

2012 season went 4-5

2011 season went 3-6

2010 season went 4-5

2009 season No team

13 wins 32 losses

BASEBALL

2014 summer season 5-21

2013 summer season 4-25

2012 summer season 9-21

2011 summer season No Team

18 wins 67 losses

So what it boils down when everyone was beating them and kicking them while they were down and they were that so called easy win in sports everyone wanted them on the schedule.

But the tide has shifted they have won games and succeeded and now lets find a way to sabotage and complain about their success.

Pretty much the way society works anymore. Rather than celebrate ones success in life lets tear it down by any means possible. That is why people in todays world seem so bitter and not happy about life.

Congrats to Woodward Academy, great season. Wish you success at the Well and I hope it is spring board to greater things to come in life.

The naysayers can kiss your butts.

Originally posted by sarcastico:
SEP, while it may have started innocuous enough it quickly devolved into accusations of rule breaking, complaints of unfairness, and the clear connotation that these young men don't deserve to be playing at state because of their past. That is where I and others have taken offense. But to say those connotations were not a part of the original post is disingenuous indeed.
So you're saying they have not advantage having twice the number of boys as the teams they play going to state?

Or you would be ok with school adding on campus housing so kids you transfer there could play right of way because they moved to the school area?

Also, no one has answered if they know the internal rules for eligibility at WA? If not, they are just guessing at when they can play if they go there....if they have to meet high standards to even get to play there, that is great and would show how great it is they are at State by turning themselves around, meet high goals and get rewarded by playing basketball, and then getting extra reward by playing at state...but we just don't know...no one on here appears to have first hand knowledge of this

Basketball, apparently you haven't read my other posts in this thread. Or are just ignoring them so you can continue this ridiculous argument. I have said my piece, if you want to continue to go on complaining go right ahead.

IASOONER, great research, but they were not making it to state, the thread is based on making it to the state tournament, beat people all year long, but the goal is state......the research really does nothing......let them play the regular season all they want, i bet no one that they would make it to state so there was never an issue!

Also, see post below, have always been appreciate of what the kids will get out of this....

"So, we all agree that the success for WA is awesome for those kids, thoughts on a couple issues:

1) not all Iowa kids?

2) come from all size schools

3) size-they have 197 boys, if they had the equal # of girls, it would be 400 kids, a solid 3A, #1 seed AP, has 205 kids on Beds, so they have roughly, 102 boys to choose from!

I will be the first to say this can make a huge difference in the lives of these young men, and might be the most positive thing to happen to them in a long time! Possibly the kids from another school had worked very hard to make the state tournament;

Just looking for thoughts?"

Once again, it turns to name calling and accusing people of being against others.....

SEPAlum I was just stating that it seems no one really cared until they all of a sudden have had success. I am looking at their web page now and find some interesting things.

How many of todays kids in public school would enjoy this daily routine.

Daily Schedule
7:00 am - Wake-up/breakfast/hygiene
8:00 am - GGI
9:00am - 3:00pm - School (& Lunch)
3:15 pm - Campus Elective Time (Intramurals, art club, vocational program)
4:30 pm - Dinner
5:15 pm - Study Hall, Personal Development, Hygiene/Preparation time
6:15 pm -Skill development time (men's group, victim empathy, chemical awareness, thinking errors/patterns, emotional management)
8:00 pm - Snack time/Townhouse
9:15 pm - Lights out
Students at the Academy operate on a very structured, yet realistic schedule. They wake up at 7:00 am and begin their day w/breakfast and doing morning hygiene. At 8:00 am students begin GGI (Guided Group Interaction). This is one of the most sacred times on campus and promotes a high level of confrontation on "here and now" issues the students are dealing with. Following GGI, the students prepare for school and are dismissed to 1st period at 8:55am. During school time students are in accredited high school classes or working towards their GED.

Students also work on campus during this time if they have acquired their diploma or GED certification. School ends at 3pm and the students return to their dorms. From 3:15 pm until 4:30 pm students participate in our elective time on campus. During this time students can choose to participate in our Intramurals program, Art club or Vocational enhancement. All of our students will leave Woodward Academy with a Vocational portfolio containing certified hours of training in conflict resolution in the workplace, understanding of government, forms and applications, resume building, videotaped mock interviews, money management, and career building. Students then eat dinner from 4:30 pm until 5:15 pm at our campus dining area.

From 5:15 pm - 6:15 pm students are active in mandatory study time, personal development time or World of Work employment.

From 6:15 pm until 8:00 pm each evening, students are involved in skill development groups such as victim empathy, chemical awareness, men's group, emotional management, and thinking errors/patterns. From 8:00 pm until 9:15 pm students complete nighttime hygiene, have snacks and wrap up the day with Townhouse.

Found a blog from there website and two nice vids on the team by KCCI

http://wwacademy.blogspot.com

I have no dog in this fight at all just happy someone or some academy gave some young men a chance to turn their lives around. Now I hope they take full advantage of it.

Originally posted by sarcastico:
Basketball, apparently you haven't read my other posts in this thread. Or are just ignoring them so you can continue this ridiculous argument. I have said my piece, if you want to continue to go on complaining go right ahead.
But you don't answer the question people are raising....just complaining we are beating down some kids....are these question we should be asking or just let it go because its good for the kids...this appears to be a unique situation in the state and maybe no big deal....people just wonder if the difference in WA setup vs most school should be discussed....just sayin

In all reality, I hope they win at least there first game and get to play way into the week....tough task though...but the experience of state is awesome
party0002.r191677.gif

I did answer the question but you must have missed it. The perceived advantages of WA, ie. their all male student body, I believe are rendered neutral by the other great disadvantages they face that other schools do not. Disadvantages like never having played together before because of a fluctuating student body. Or not being able to devote themselves entirely to basketball. Or simply having to deal with a trouble passed and current behavior issues.

Let's be honest many schools have huge advantages over these kids due to their wealth and privilege. Being able to afford top notch basketball camps and training. Having positive role models and parents who have allowed them the opportunity to focus just on basketball and not have to worry about other life issues. Nobody complains about these advantages.

The reality is I am fine with asking the questions, but some in this thread have gone beyond that to flat out say they shouldn't be allowed to play in the postseason. This is not an athletic academy or anything like it and yet that seems to be the way same people are treating it. We have already seen that throughout the years they have actually struggled with athletics. They are not setting up some basketball powerhouse. They are kids trying to get their lives together and make something of themselves. I think the tone that developed in this thread trying to deprive them of any type of achievement is just wrong. They deserve to be at state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT