ADVERTISEMENT

Why is State not on IHSSN or PBS?

c4cy21

Freshman
Feb 15, 2006
I have looked through the oncoming TV schedule and it says that state is only to be broadcast through Mediacom and on KCRG 9.2. Why did they decide to do it this way instead of everyone being able to watch it this year? Everyone could watch the tournament when it was on either Fox or PBS now it is on these stations that only a select group have. I myself have Directv so how can I watch it?

IHSSN owns the rights to all state championships, and apparently PBS either did not bid for or was not awarded the rights for wrestling (or any other sport, for that matter). So, state is on IHSSN, but PBS is not a rights holder this year.

From the link below, it looks like state will be on DirecTV in Des Moines, Davenport, and Sioux City, but not in Cedar Rapids, Mason City, or Omaha/Council Bluffs.

I assume that state will also be webcast on IHSSN's website, but not for sure on that one.

2012 IHSSN Broadcast Schedule

The problem is the media powers that be do not respect wrestling. Yet one more reason NOT to contribute to the PBS yearly fundraiser.

I could not agree more Iron Doc. It is a shame that wrestling does not get the same respect as the other sports. I know that wrestling is the biggest sport in Iowa bar none. Not sure why the TV stations do not get this.

IPTV didn't bid because IHSSN (basically the the Association and Union's own TV network) set the price so high that there's no way they can compete. My guess is that the state's Fox networks got tired of giving up their Saturday programming for the amount of return they were getting and told the State to take a hike.
As for not supporting IPTV, be really careful in what you say. We have had the State finals -- and live wrestling in general -- on TV for over 40 years largely because of IPTV. Bashing them because the IHSAA/IGHSAU decided to issue an IPO and become TV money-grubbers isn't their fault and they certainly don't deserve your bashing. You should know better than that, Doc.

They broadcast girls bball and volleyball that usually have few people other than parents in the gym. Why not wrestling at a loss like they must have for volleyball. Statewide they now have girls bball and boys bball the same night instead of sophomore and varsity boys bball together to try to get more fans in the stands for the girls and people still do not come early to watch the girls.

Originally posted by bett fan:
They broadcast girls bball and volleyball that usually have few people other than parents in the gym.
Game attendance has little bearing on broadcast decisions. IHSSN's revenue is driven by sponsors (see link below), who probably care more about being associated with a positive youth experience than how many people watch a particular event.
Why not wrestling at a loss like they must have for volleyball.
IHSSN sponsors don't choose which sports to support. For example, NAPA can't decide that it only wants to advertise for football and no other sports; it either sponsors IHSSN or it doesn't. Be thankful the IHSSN has this sort of sponsorship structure.
Statewide they now have girls bball and boys bball the same night instead of sophomore and varsity boys bball together to try to get more fans in the stands for the girls and people still do not come early to watch the girls.
What does this have to do with anything?

IHSSN Sponsors

Bett fan:
What on earth are you talking about? Smaller schools have been playing varsity girl-boy doubleheaders for 75 years and most of them are packed from start to finish. Just because it doesn't happen where you are doesn't mean it isn't popular. Same is the case for volleyball. Don't make blanket absolute statements when you don't know what you're talking about. It wasn't that long ago that the girls' tournament outdrew everything in the state, including wrestling.

Originally posted by Iron Doc:
The problem is the media powers that be do not respect wrestling. Yet one more reason NOT to contribute to the PBS yearly fundraiser.

That is very short sighted. IPTV would love to show this event but they can no longer afford to submit a winning bid due to deep budget cuts. College wrestling is on the ropes on IPTV and I don't think anyone here wants to see that coverage eliminated.

BTW, "Fox" as a network or even network of affiliates owned the rights to the State Wrestling Tournament. A few Fox stations around the state were affiliates for coverage. However, this year the Bud Shootout (Nascar...yeah I hate it, too) falls on the same night as the state tourney so the Fox affiliates that did carry the state tournament are contractually obligated to carry that event. Thus, it has moved to digital channels and the like.

State Volleyball has not been on IPTV for quite a few years, either. In recent years, State Volleyball and Basketball, as well as the State Wrestling finals, have been on KCWI 23 in the Des Moines TV market for both cable and satellite. Other parts of the state must not be making it available to all.

I'd prefer IPTV or one of the NBC, CBS or ABC affiliates provide the State Championships coverage if that meant it would be shown in HD. The picture quality on KCWI is not very good.

Originally posted by Ace0162:
I know that wrestling is the biggest sport in Iowa bar none. Not sure why the TV stations do not get this.

I would argue that football is the biggest sport in Iowa. Link or proof to show otherwise?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT