ADVERTISEMENT

Why are the majority of Basketball topics "Off the Record?"

VanderHoops

Freshman
Feb 16, 2011
I get that the topics that require interviews/original content are in the premium forum.
But what's up with all the general hoops topics being restricted?
Especially topics that would benefit from a large number of views/comments (and maybe entice more to pay for full access?)

Last edited:
I get that the topics that require interviews/original content are in the premium forum.
But what's up with all the general hoops topics being restricted?
Especially topics that would benefit from a large number of views/comments (and maybe entice more to pay for full access?)
If people want to pay to subscribe, I am giving them a number of more reasons to do so. You basically want me to post all the stuff here and have nothing on the Off the Record board? The cost to subscribe is $9.95 and as most people that subscribe can attest, it is worth every penny and more. There is not a site on Rivals that produces more content.

.....You basically want me to post all the stuff here and have nothing on the Off the Record board?....
No, as I said in the original post, I expect those topics that required a lot of extra effort (top players, interviews, rankings, etc.) to be in the premium section.
But not topics like "Tuesday night Hawk-10 conference results" or something that would benefit from a lot of opinions like "Changes to the State Tourney format" or Threads that start with a question, "Who do you think....?"

Here's why I'm not a paid subscriber:
  • I usually just view for a little while leading into the state tourney to learn about teams that may be at state
  • I'm not into discussing Hawkeye/Cyclone issues and whatever Rivals.com covers (I actually don't quite get the Rivals-IowaPrep hierarchy structure, but would like a primer on it)
  • I did pay to join and found it incredibly cumbersome to UNsubscribe. It felt like a fruit of the month club that wouldn't let me leave.
  • I'm disheartened when I see the "Off the Record" topics have 0 or 1 reply on average.
  • I like the threads with many voices/opinions. It seems like the same few names on the premium threads.
Just like every other on-line forum (and now on-line newspapers), it's tough to walk the tightrope of free content to attract readers/contributors vs. coaxing more paid subscribers.
I really like visiting IowaPreps, but think withholding info isn't the way to gain contributors. Creating a busier forum and then dangling the carrot of premium content would be better.

Bottom line though: It's your sandbox, so you get to make the rules, & I'll continue to play by them

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like there is little I can do to get you to re-subscribe but I hope you will consider it at some point down the road. The more people that subscribe, the more time that can be spent on growing the site.

The posts on the Off the Record board have more to do with another selling point than anything as opposed to keeping away from readers here.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like there is little I can do to get you to re-subscribe but I hope you will consider it at some point down the road. The more people that subscribe, the more time that can be spent on growing the site.

The posts on the Off the Record board have more to do with another selling point than anything as opposed to keeping away from readers here.
If I stay an active poster, I'll definitely sign up.
But I'll still post in the public forums!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT