ADVERTISEMENT

Per Request- MY response to the INA Selections

Sep 24, 2016
I was asked yesterday (by Westside ) for a response to the INA Selections having known that I recently made my own selections from Central Iowa & West. I have included my entire list below so no one has to toggle back and forth between threads.

Once again some background on how I came up with my team. First off, I watched the majority of players on my list once if not multiple times, I would jot down notes on players during games knowing I planned on putting a list together post season. I also used Quik Stats primarily for validating what my eyes told me when watching players perform live. I talked to some coaches ( primarily assistant coaches) that I've meant and would causally ask about players they faced. I also viewed a computer player ranking system on twitter called "Power Ranking" to see how the computer formula ranked 4A players. Lastly I spent time viewing hudl comparing different player as I tried to narrow down my list.
Full disclosure, I have a lot of idle time and I love HS football so this became a time filler for me and my wife loved the fact that I had a hobby. All told I would guess putting together my list and writing the reasons for my selections took about 20 hours which may seem ridiculous to many readers however I was not going to publish something I could not support in my mind.

My thoughts on players:

Baugher & Riggs.
I had them both on my first team and so did the INA

Keough ( Dowling). Did not make any team, he is a junior and the INA picked Waggoner from Dowling, I get it and can live with it, big name player with tons of offers and a great player

Board (SE Polk)
Named to 3rd team by INA, I can live with that

Gaye (Hoover)
I would think he would be in the discussion for at least 3rd team. Overall team performance may have hurt him, I hope that's not the case

Graham ( Newton)
3rd team by INA, I can live with that

Morrison ( Waukee)
2nd Team INA, I can live with that

Manuel (Valley)
INA 3rd team, I can live with it

Rezek (Johnston)
I liked him and believe he should be in the consideration for at least 3rd team. Johnston was represented by the INA with 2 other players, this may have hurt his chances.

Gaye (Hoover) All around good player, put plays a tough spot with a lot of good athletes, I think he was overlooked

Theobald ( Lewis Central) State leader in TFL + Assisted TFL, Iowa Power Ranking rated #1 DE, IMO #1 or 2 best pass rusher I have seen. INA did not name him or any CBLC player on any team. INA totally messed this one up IMO

Offense
Evans (Ames)
I would have had him 2nd team, INA had him 3rd team. I would pick 2 QB's per team, INA picks 1

McElvain ( D.M. AL) What the hell? I don't know what to say other then "what the hell" I would like to write a whole paragraph but all I can say is "what the hell? how did this happen?

Baker (CBTJ) INA and I both had him 1st team

Murray (Dowling) INA and I both had him 1st team

Gates (Cent) INA 2nd Team, I can live with it

Jefferson ( Hoover) Both INA and I had him on 1st team

Ingoli (Dowling) INA 2nd team, ok with that

Mosley ( Fort Dodge) INA 2nd team, ok with that

Flemming (Lincoln) a lot of good receivers, should have been in the discussion for at least 3rd team

so what all this mean?
I think 2 players were totally overlooked ( McElavin and Theobald) the rest you can argue what team they belong on 1st, 2nd or 3rd team. Where I totally disagree with the INA, many of the players selected (Central and West) I didn't have anywhere on my list for consideration. Maybe I missed a few, but I did put a ton of time into my analysis, not sure how I could be that far off on so many.

I will close by saying this to the INA and it's only my opinion. If you can't take the time to have all voters meet face to face including invited coaches then do away with your All State Teams. This is not something that should be done on line, it;s not that easy. Your team of writers will take the time to travel and do it right, they also invest many hours covering games all year long, all will donate 1 more afternoon without complaint.

My Team ( posted earlier)

All State Defense (Central & West)

Colby Baugher (Ankeny)
I said this last year and it rings true again this season, Baugher is a "tackling machine" who ended this year top #5 Solo Tackles & Total Tackles and contributed 13.3 (TFL & Assisted TFL. The thing I remember about Baugher is how hard he pursues the ball. Baugher is tough nosed and plays bigger then his size, this kid will mix it up and never seems to take a play off. Baugher ended the regular season ranked #1 by the twitter "Power Ranking Site" at Inside Line Backer. Unfortunately Ankeny did not make the post season this year but it's not due to Baugher, the kid played his butt off and has earned a spot for the second year on my team.

Mitchell Riggs (Dowling) To me Riggs is the leader of the Dowling Defense. Like Baugher, he is another player that is all over the field. Riggs contributed with over 96 total tackles on the season. Once the play ends you can bet that Riggs will be in on the tackle. He was able to penetrate the backfield a lot from his LB position and ended the regular season with 10.5 (TFL & Assisted TFL) which is excellent considering limited playing time in the 2nd half of many games. The anchor of an outstanding defense that will challenge for another State Title. If he so desires he will play at the next level.

Jack Keough Dowling I'm sure I am going to get accused of loving Dowling, that's ok I'm a big boy and can handle it. Speaking of big tough guys what about Keough of Dowling, he has the size and speed and along with Riggs these 2 guys make it touch sledding up the middle. This junior contributed 66 total tackles and proved to be another guy that can penetrate the backfield, he ended up with an impressive 10(+) TFL & Assisted TFL. Not a lot of juniors make my list so congratulations Jack Keough on a superb junior year.

Nathan Newcomb (Johnston) Newcomb had an outstanding year on an excellent team. Check this out, the kid was Top 5 in the state ( TFL& Assisted TFL) and Ranked as the top Outside Linebacker in Iowa by "Power Ranking". I watched this young man play and was impressed with his closing speed and ball hawking skills. With another year to work on his frame and add some weight and muscle he will really be a force for Johnston next season. Also worth noting, Newcomb led a very good Johnston defense in tackles, not afraid to stick his nose into the line of fire. I look forward to watching your progress next season.

Luke Board (Southeast Polk) Another new comer to my team, Southeast Polk with the season they had is worthy of having representation on the defensive team. Board lead a very good defense with over 60 total tackles for the year and recorded 15 (+) TFL & Assisted TFL and with his spare time recorded a pick. I along with many will remember the battle between SEP & Valley, those who attended will tell you it was one of the most exciting games in the past 10 years. Board greatly contributed to SEP having a nice year and becoming a team with a stingy defense that no one wanted to face come playoff time. SEP and Board both proved to me they are top performers in 2017

Answer Gaye (Hoover) Let me tell you, this kid does it all. Hoover made some nice strides this season on both sides of the ball. The defense was led by Gaye who plays both the run and pass equally well. Check this out for a body of work, 78 total tackles, 6 TFL and throw in 2 sacks to round out one excellent year. Gaye also contributed on specials by returning punts. Guys like Gaye have laid the foundation for Hoover to build upon and become a force, Hoover without question has some very athletic players. Nice job Mr Gaye, now Hoover take it to the next level and make some noise.

Grayson Graham ( Newton) If you need someone covered is the guy you want, Graham has the size at 6-2 and very adequate cover speed. Check this out, Graham ended the season with 5 picks and 30 tackles but that's not all. This is what really impressed me, he totaled over a 100 yards once he picked the ball, that's 20 yards return with each pick. Hey you want a guy that can also take it to the house, Graham returned 2 of his 5 picks for TD's. Newton finished the year at 8-2, Graham without question was part of the reason why.

Dane Theobald (Lewis Central) Power, Speed and Intensity is how a coach described this dude. Ended the regular season at the top in 4A in (TFL & Assisted TFL) along with 45 tackles and 4 total sacks. Was a key component in 4A's Top Ranked Defense (points allowed per game). I got to see Theobald play twice this year, what's missing on the "Stats Sheet" is how many times he applied pressure and disrupted plays, ask Hoover or Valley. Oh by the way no rest for this guy, the games I watched he played both sides of the ball which is a bit unusual at the 4A level. Ranked at year end by Power Ranks as the #1 DE in 4A.

Jake Morrison (Waukee) This kid put up some very impressive stats this year, Morrison was near or at the top throughout the year in Sack. Morrison had a very well rounded year as he contributed with over 40 total tackles on the season along with 15 (TFL & Assisted TFL). Another guy that loves to get after it and apply pressure and it never stops. I would rank Morrison as one of the top 2-3 rush ends I've seen play over this year and last (Morrison, Theobald and Waggoner). Has a great frame with long arms that translate perfectly to the next level, just needs to add some body weight and strength. I was told by a local coach that this kid has tremendous upside, we'll all be watching you take the next step Great year individually and congratulations to Waukee on making another playoff appearance.

Nick Rezek (Johnston) Every team need to have a horse on your D-Line, viewers meet my horse "Mr. Rezek". What I like about Rezek is his ability to play inside when needed or line up on the edge and make a play. Was a run stopper with 25 solo tackles for the year and 36 total tackles. Every coach wants there O-Line to get penetration into the backfield, well Rezek was very successful recording 14 TFL which ranks him Top 15 in that category as well. Rezek joins fellow Johnston teammate Newcomb on my team which should not come as a surprise Johnston just completed a school record breaking season.

Sam Stevens (DSM Lincoln) I have to admit I have not seen Stevens play a down this year but I couldn't leave him off the list considering the numbers he put up. sorry, I am going strictly stats on this pick. Take note, 52 total tackles, 17 TFL& Assisted TFL and throw in 4 sacks on the season. Plus he tips the scale around 3 bills, so come along and join the team Sam Stevens.

Darius Manuel (Valley) Manuel is a player that doesn't have all the big numbers but the kid knows how to play the game. He is blessed with a great body and watching him play it quickly becomes obvious he's freaky football strong. With that said he did have a very respectable 28 tackles on the year with 9TFL & Assisted TFL and a sack. He does an excellent job against the run and O- tackles have a hard time with his punishing bull rush, he will defintely give you a headache by the end of the game. Key to Valley having another great season and very capable of playing at the next level.

So there you have it, my defensive team for 2017. I know I'm missing some great players which could be due to numerous reasons ( injury, lack of playing time, or my incompetency). I also want to point out again that I tend to reward good players on good teams... those teams are good for a reason or so is my belief. In any event feel free to add players with a little justification if possible.
Also lets get a list going from the east side

All State Offense ( Central & West)

Here is my All State Offensive Team Central & West (skilled players only) for 2017. I used the same criteria outlined above when picking the team. This year was especially difficult, so many excellent players at the same positions, I literally changed this 6 times over the past 2 weeks, that's why it's taken so long to get it out.

Also note that I am not comfortable picking an Offensive Line, it would be unfair to the players if I even attempted this. I would encourage others that may read this to list any offensive linemen you feel worthy. The same is true of Kickers and Punters.

Joe Evans (QB) Ames. The QB pick was a hard decision, I went back and forth between Evans & Jarrett of Hoover. I ended up picking Evans in part because he only threw 5 picks in 289 attempts. By the way he threw for over 2,400 yards and 25 TD’s as well. We had some guys this year that liked to fling the ball around, really made it fun to watch.

Willie McElvain (QB) DM AL. When I think about dual threat QB’s one name that quickly comes to mind is Willie. What I like about this kid is the completion rate (69%). He’s just not back there throwing the ball around! Like Evans, he only threw 5 picks on the year and added 30 TD’s which resulted in a QB rating of 174. Remember I said Willie could also hurt you with his feet, check it out, the guy ran for over a 1,000 yards as well. No way could I not have Willie on my team.

Cameron Baker (RB) CBTJ. Baker joins Theobald (Def Team) as my representatives from the West “Council Bluffs”. Baker has Power and Speed which guided him to over 1,800 yards on the season and 20 TD’s. Here is what really jumps out at you, the kid averaged 9 yards per touch, and yes you heard me right.

There must be something about Council Bluffs and wanting to play both ways, Baker and Theobald both play both ways (Offense and Defense) which is a bit unusual for 4A. So yes Mr. Baker is in excellent shape. Great season young man, look forward to watching you next year. What would he do if he was rested?

Jayson Murray (RB) Dowling Close to 2,000 yards, 8 yards a touch and 29 TD’s WOW! I got to watch this young man on a few different occasions and all I can say is “electrifying”. People know about his speed but what some underestimate is his power and ability to make people tackle air in space. Ok, I know he plays behind an OL that’s NFL size but this kid is still the real deal and deserves a spot on my team

Jensen Gates (RB) Ank Cent. Lightening in a bottle best describes this guy. I’m not sure what his 40 time is, but I can tell you he is “football fast”. The Cent offense was built for Gates, if you make the slightest error in judgement you can’t recover in time, he’s gone to the house. Gates only carried the ball 102 times yet ran for over close to 1,100 yards, folks that’s nearly 11 yards per touch. Great Season that resulted in a return trip to the Dome.

Note; It was hard as heck picking the QB and RB positions, so many quality backs this year. I want to mention some names that caused me migraines when picking this team. Guys you all had stellar years, congratulations.

Any of them could have easily been on this list; (Hildreth /Indianola, Nord/Johnston, Braden/PV, Perry/Waukee)

Jarreau Jefferson (Rec) Hoover. Let this sink in, every time he touched the ball this season it resulted in a positive gain of 22 yards, that’s remarkable! Jefferson is another guys that is “Football Fast” and extremely athletic. Close to 1,100 receiving yards on the year his longest 85 yards. I know that Jefferson played in a pass happy offense but he still needed to get open, he did this by running great routes and possessing well above average hands. Nice year Jarreau.

Sam Ingoli (Rec) Dowling. Every coach wants a receiver that has a nose for the End-Zone. Ingoli smells TD every time he touches the ball, he caught 13 TD’s on the season and did it with only 37 receptions. Like Jefferson, Ingoli had an unreal yards per reception (24 yards) and ended the season with over 900 yards and a state title. On a team that’s loaded with great players Ingoli may be an unsung hero, makes the most of every opportunity.

Trey Mosley (Rec) Fort Dodge. Hard not to have Trey on the team. He’s another guy that has a nose for the end-zone recording 11 TD’s on the season with breakaway speed (87 yard TD reception). What I like about Mosley is the combination of speed & excellent hands, he finds a way to get open and Evans delivers him the ball. One of 3 QB/Rec combinations that’s “Outstanding” (Ames, Hoover, DM Lincoln). We may not see this many outstanding duo’s for quite some time.

Vaughn Flemming (Rec) DM Lincoln. I broke the rules and added a receiver, no way could I leave out a guy that caught 78 passes on the year, that’s a career for most of us. Granted Flemming was in a pass happy offense but hey he made the most of it. Close to 1,100 yards on the year, 14 yard per catch and 8 TD’s.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving
DSM SF

Last edited:
A few comments.
First off totally impressed with the amount of time, energy and effort you put into developing this list. I'm in favor of having you do the entire state and using you for determining the official All-State Teams

Secondly I would like to respond to your comment and support your feelings regarding the players that were completely snubbed. Using your own words "what the hell" how could CBLC not have a player on the All State Team? I believe they ended the year with one of the top ranked defense in 4A, beat a very good Valley team in the playoffs yet can't get 1 player on all state?

I could go on all day about another local team CBSA but since this is a 4A post I will refrain.

I would once again like to applaud your work, your commitment and research is quite remarkable.

Reactions: falconfanx3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT