ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins Mr. Basketball

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
I think a healthy Cordell Pemsl will be hard to beat but Kriener will give him a run. Others?

There are an awfully lot of great players this year in Iowa, so it could come down to who wins a championship or makes a run in the tourney. Starting out, it could be Pemsl or Kriener, but certain players-- like Pemsl, Bohannon, McCaffery, PV's Carius, Waverly's Phyfe, etc. all play on loaded teams with lots of scorers beside themselves. Everybody in Wahlert's starting lineup could average in double figures, for example, just like Iowa City West could have four or five in double figures. Not to say that Kriener doesn't play with teammates who will put up big numbers, but Ryan will likely have a much higher scoring average than Pemsl, who will get fewer touches in a game. Like SC North's Tillo winning last year, it'll come down to which player was the strongest player on a very good team, and has the name recognition, and doesn't miss a lot of time with injury. Of course, I'm missing a lot of other names which don't come to me at this moment, like the star of Western Christian, Josh Van Lingen, etc. I'm sure others can add more names.

Last edited:
First off, Juniors are not allowed to win so you can cross Phyfe and McCaffery off that list.
I think it is Ryan Kriener, he is the best player in the state IMO.

First off, Juniors are not allowed to win so you can cross Phyfe and McCaffery off that list.
I think it is Ryan Kriener, he is the best player in the state IMO.
I think it may come down to who wins the 3A title. If RK can do that with Spirit Lake, then he gets it. I know that taking down Wahlert and a possible third straight title will not be easy.

I put in some top juniors because Luke did that for awhile last season. The winner will be a senior, and it should be limited to seniors. May the best player win it, whoever he turns out to be. If it is determined by who does the best in the tourney against each other, then I wish the refs would let them play. In last year's tourney---all classes-- there were so many ticky-tacky touch fouls on big men, that most were sitting for a good part of several games. The state needs to take a look at how refs call games in the tourney-- all classes. Also, injuries can affect who gets Mr. Basketball. I heard that Ryan Kriener played with a badly broken nose (I think) part of the year. I just hope that the state's top players can stay healthy this year.

There is tro ways to look at the argument on stats. It is true Pemsl plays on a loaded team and it will be hard to have big stats. But it also doesn't allow for as much double and triple teaming. The couple Spirit Lake games I saw last year teams were double and even triple teaming Kriener. Spirit Lake will be counting on sophomores to step up this year. Best 5 seniors are Bohannon, Wally Parks, Pemsl, Levi Jansen and Kriener. One of those should and will win it.

Left one name out. Josh Van Lingen. He is an amazing talent. He plays on a very good team with all 5 starters back. Lakes conference is loaded with Western, Spencer, Lemars and Spirit Lake.

Good job, go-hawks37. Waverly's Phyfe may not be a senior this year, but his team will be extremely tough to beat, and he will be a top (if not THE top) MB contender next year from the 3A ranks. (With 2017 4A Devonte Lane and Connor McCaffrey being on the same team, could that split some votes next year?) But--- getting ahead of ourselves.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT