ADVERTISEMENT

Whining About Refs

WhiteShadowHoops

Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yawn. I have seen very few games in life whose outcomes were decided by refs. Part of playing team sports is adjusting to the elements of the EACH GAME INDIVIDUALLY. Bad teams make excuses. Good teams sometimes adjust. Great teams play great regardless of the elements. Get over it people.

Make your judgements/assessments on refs when you have no vested interest in the game. they are not nearly as bad as people think.

I look at it like this. When you have a vested interest there are going to be 3-5 calls that you want to go your way, 3-5 50-50 calls that could go either way. Most people will assess reffs based on these 6-10 calls in a game.

Yes, i do believe that their are not as many high quality refs as their used to be. I wont mention any names, but i struggle with the guys that have to make a call or 2 so that everyone knows they are there and reffing this game.

Lyon I get what you are saying. Therre are certainly those select refs who make the game more about them and what they know than about calling an honest game. Having said that, even those kinds of officials rarely, if ever, decide the outcomes of games.

Lyon makes a good point about being more critical with refs in which you have a vested interest in the game. Refs can certainly have an impact in deciding the game. Especially down the stretch or if they call fouls overly aggressively early on.

However, I ref in another sport and I can tell you that it is certainly a thankless job. And, that all sports struggle to bring in new refs. The pay is barely worth the time invested and certainly not worth getting yelled at by moms, dads, grandmas and grandpas. You need a thick skin and you do it for the love of the sport.

That isn't to say that criticism of refs isn't warranted at some times. Basketball has to be one of the toughest sports to ref due to the speed, level of subjectivity in some fouls and the proximity of the spectators and coaches. People would have a much different perspective if they ever gave it a try.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT