ADVERTISEMENT

Which class of football will be the most interesting to watch towards?

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Take the bias out (which may be impossible) but which class will be the most interesting and dramatic to watch to see who wins the state title?

From the other thread, it seems most people are on board with the same team winning in 8, A, and 1A. And there's a pretty solid split of two teams for 2A and 3A. So, in my eyes, it seems 4A is the most wide open. Not sure that's true or not, but if it is, I think it would be the most interesting. Toss in the fact there's actually some universal crossover which hasn't happened forever. 4A is like a brand new entity.

I think 2A is pretty wide-open. You've got Cascade, North Fayette Valley, Clear Lake, and New Hampton as very strong contenders, and there are a few other schools who could make some noise. If you're going by what people are picking on this site, I haven't seen anyone predict any team besides Waukee or Dowling in 4A. Valley could be up there, but I'm not sold on them being championship caliber this year. The east side will likely be pretty weak again this year; Bettendorf and CR Washington look like the most likely to make it to the Dome, and I don't think either will be able to beat whoever comes out of the DSM metro.

I think Cascade is a popular pick in 2A because they're the most balanced offensively, but any of the other three schools I listed can beat them if they can get some stops and keep from falling behind by more than a touchdown.

I think 4A will be much more interesting than other classes this year. Of course, there will be story lines up to the Championship games in all classes, but the number of games in 4A that are "outside" of districts will mean that end of season matchups should be a bit more rationalized.

I do think that those who have tougher schedules will benefit.

8 Player will be much more interesting than most think. I dont expect Don Bosco to repeat at they lost a lot in Jake Hogan and some other skilled position seniors around him. Rest of the teams at the Dome in that class, only Exira-EHK really returns enough to make another run. Adair was hit hard, Newell too. Field is wide open in that class this year. A lot of good teams and a lot of unknown in teams that are traditionally good.

Originally posted by high90school:

8 Player will be much more interesting than most think. I dont expect Don Bosco to repeat at they lost a lot in Jake Hogan and some other skilled position seniors around him. Rest of the teams at the Dome in that class, only Exira-EHK really returns enough to make another run. Adair was hit hard, Newell too. Field is wide open in that class this year. A lot of good teams and a lot of unknown in teams that are traditionally good.
I'd agree with that. Fremont-Mills looks like the team to beat, but East Mills might have something to say about that. MMC brings back enough to be a real challenger, too. And as long as Peppers stays healthy, Exira will have a chance to beat anyone. Springville will be interesting to see; Nissen was great, but I think Cody Blake could have a breakout year now that he'll be the guy getting the bulk of the carries.

With all the teams moving down its got to be 2A and 3A....
Xavier and Wahlert to 3A and Assumption to 2A plus Williamsburg and Clear Lake it will be Very competitive..

I think that 3A will be really competitive with about ten teams vying for the top. If my alma mater goes over .500, I'll be ecstatic.

Here are the teams by class that I think have a legitimate shot at a state title (a shot, by no means are some of these a favorite, and in no particular order)

4A
Waukee
Dowling
Valley
IC West
Bettendorf
CR Wash

3A
Xavier
Assumption
Heelan
Harlan
West Delaware
Decorah
Waverly Shellrock
Solon
Dallas Center Grimes

2A
Clear Lake
Cascade
New Hampton
North Fayette Valley
Williamsburg
Spirit Lake
Kuemper

1A
Regina
West Lyon
Dike New Hartford
South Winn
Manson NW Webster

A
St. Albert
BGM
Wapsie
G-R
Garrigan
Maq Valley

Fremont Mills
EEHK
Janesville
Northwood Kensett
HLV
Newell Fonda

I am sure I missed an obvious one somewhere

Originally posted by PNation:
Here are the teams by class that I think have a legitimate shot at a state title (a shot, by no means are some of these a favorite, and in no particular order)

4A
Waukee
Dowling
Valley
IC West
Bettendorf
CR Wash

3A
Xavier
Assumption
Heelan
Harlan
West Delaware
Decorah
Waverly Shellrock
Solon
Dallas Center Grimes

2A
Clear Lake
Cascade
New Hampton
North Fayette Valley
Williamsburg
Spirit Lake
Kuemper

1A
Regina
West Lyon
Dike New Hartford
South Winn
Manson NW Webster
St. Edmond

A
St. Albert
BGM
Wapsie
G-R
Garrigan
Maq Valley

Fremont Mills
EEHK
Janesville
Northwood Kensett
HLV
Newell Fonda

I am sure I missed an obvious one somewhere
No, I think you got everyone.
smokin.r191677.gif

given the topic you give this thread is completely incomprehensible, I am unsure where to go.

But, in the end, 1A.

I keep seeing Dallas Center Grimes mentioned in threads like this and those that predict the district champions. Am I missing something? I have seen their underclassmen play throughout the years and they seem very average as a group. According to Quikstats they lose....................................
1. Their QB who threw all but one pass last year.
2. Their top three rushers.
3. Their leading wide receiver.
4. Their kicker and their punter.
5. Tackles: lose 5 out of top 6 and 8 out of top 11.

No disrespect intended but very few teams could lose that much talent and not have a big drop-off. Could predictors be living in 2013?

The big reason is that Harlan's not going to have the horses, either. This will probably be the worst team Bladt has had in a LONG time. Granted, he's set the bar extremely high; but this year's Harlan team is probably only going to be average or a little above average, too. So DC-G could have a chance to win the district, but nobody out of this district is likely to reach the Dome.

agree..i don,t see 2014 harlan team as a certifed threat for the dome in regards to what they having coming back this fall.....they don,t have the size or skilled players and have 15 positions to fill....coach bladt will field a competitive team in most games, got to give bladt some credit, but against the better ones, i don,t have a lot of hope.. last year, some didn,t give harlan much credit, but if it was not for helen, the dome was a real possiblity.. this year, nope

This post was edited on 8/15 3:48 AM by ronsss

The most interesting thing about 3A has got to be the new 3A privates who were previously 4A. It will definitely change the playoff picture for sure.

IMO the 3A Districts are really a case of haves and have nots. Some districts are absolutely stacked while other are pathetically weak. There could easily be a couple district champs that would take a 4 seed in another district.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT