ADVERTISEMENT

When and where is State Soccer Tournament?

Franko_74

Freshman
Mar 17, 2004
I checked www.iahsaa.org but they only have the substate list and nothing on the state tournament.

Thanks in advance.

June 4, 5, 6 at Cownie Soccer Complex in Des Moines, there is a contingency plan if Cownie's fields aren't playable but would still be in metro Des Moines area, and currently games are being played out there, so I assume the fields should be ready for state.

They used to be held in Muscatine at a Complex with much nicer field than in Des Moines, however, Des Moines politics usually gets their way

cool.gif

Hey NHS, is Cownie still under construction? Didn't they do some work there last year? I've never been there, how do those fields compare with Muscatine?

I was out there in Spring for soccer games and the fields need work. The stadium field looked ok but that is about it. The Crownie fields do not compare at all (even prior to the flood) to the Muscatine fields.

For soccer sake, let the boys go back to Muscatine to play State this year. It is well worth the trip.

We don't need to have this discussion again. State soccer is centrally located for the sake of the entire state. Thus not having to make western teams travel 6+ hours to get to Muscatine regardless of the fields. Come tourney time, Cownie has always held its ground and provided for an awesome tournament. The complex is FAR superior to Muscatine's in terms of hosting a state tournament. Not to mention all of the surrounding Des Moines businesses/hotels that benefit from the tournaments held in Des Moines.

Oh, and the wonderful odor out at the Muscatine fields is just amazing.

I believe what they are doing is taking the fields and fixing them 4 at a time, so there should be fields set and ready for the state tournament. They also took this opportunity to improve the drainage with the fields, which was much needed. As far as the complex itself and the location, it is far superior to Muscatine, outside of some logistical things with getting into the parking lot. They've made a lot of improvements with scoreboards at all tournament fields, and they add more each year, the stadium field is a great environment.
As far as playing surface, it doesn't match Muscatine, but it isn't that far off either, I'll be interested to see how it looks this year as we haven't been out there yet. The grounds crew for the Iowa Cubs helps with Cownie now.

Sounds like both of you have not had a chance to go out there recently and check out the fields.

If you can, please do and let us know what they look like. June is around the corner. Thanks.

We've played there, fields are great, I like the complex itself better at Cownie though. Playing surface is adequate at Cownie, but the atmosphere is important for the event as well, and in general it is easier for fans of all teams to get to Des Moines in a central location.

In other words, Norwalk and the Des Moines schools love the Home Field advantage, even though the Muscatine Complex is FAR, FAR, FAR and away SUPERIOR to Cownie.

chairshot.gif

Home field advantages don't mean squat. Grass is grass. Norwalk doesn't even play on a regulation size field. Most of the Des Moines area schools that are worth anything play on artificial turf so you really have no business making that statement.

Not to mention that the crowds really don't large enough to make any sort of factor in "home court" play. Soccer is soccer. Usually the better team wins regardless of where they play.
This post was edited on 5/8 7:26 PM by 4_1A_2_Nv

Oh sheeeeeeesh, Norwalk.

Every sport.......even Soccer. Home Field advantage and the ability to get more support, ie fans at the games, especially tournament games makes a BIG, BIG difference.

Try to take off your rose colored, Des Moines or Norwalk jaundiced glasses, oncce in a while.
3dgrin.gif

Here's the announcement about where HS State will be played and it is not at James Cownie due to poor field conditions... seeing the fields this early spring, it was not a pretty picture.
http://www.iahsaa.org/soccer/Soc09changerelease.pdf

I think Muscatine fields are ready to go though and with the low fan turn out described above, let's head south to Muscatine. :)

Too bad..pretty nice complex from what I saw last year. Basketball, football, and track are set in stone in regards to state every year, but it might be a neat idea to rotate soccer's state tournament from season to season.

So they are going to play these games on artificial turf fields? That is a huge advantage for those teams who play on that surface for all of their home games! How many schools play on turf?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT