ADVERTISEMENT

What would you do? What is a fair punishment...

maxstabs13

All District
Aug 20, 2005
Your leading scorer, second leading rebounder, and highest shooting percentage on the team gets pulled over and faces a list of problems and charges. Expired Driver's License, No Insurance, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Possession Under Legal Age, Seatbelt Violation, and lastly Possession with Intent to Deliver(Felony charge).

This is a current situation that happened in the last month and I will tell everyone how it played out next week after some people have had a chance to respond.

I would allow whatever school code of conduct policy is in place to take its course first.

A couple of things come into play here. I agree if the coach does not have a policy on this (I do) then you have to look to the school code of conduct. In my case, my players are held to a higher standard and they know it. You still need to wait for the "legal" side of it to finish, but if the accused is not contesting the charges, that will change things.

My rules state (no matter who it is) instant suspension until the legal side is taken care of. If we as coaches do not stand by our standards and beliefs, the players will push every boundary and you'll be fighting that over and over.

My 2 cents...

I agree, school code of conduct or if coach has his only policy then he needs to go by that. Same punishment for entire team. If he'd suspend the 12th guy on the bench for 10 games, he should do it for his "star" player as well. I'm not saying 10 games is what he should get or is getting, just using that as an example.

That would be immediate suspension under our school code of conduct that every athlete and parent signs before each season

You owe me 5,000 pushups and 1,000 suicides by Friday

hqdefault.jpg

If it seems credible, immediate suspension from team. This isn't being late for practice. Being on a team is a privilege, not a right. Most coaches I know are even stricter than the school policy. Sorry, young man. Your season is over.

Reactions: CBCrusader1994
Immediate suspension until legal issue is resolved. As EastIowaHawk says, athletics are a privilege, not a right. Additionally, this situation probably becomes a distraction if student is allowed to continue in any way.

Reactions: dilbert27
Not only would suspending the kid be the right thing to do it would probably be of most benefit to the kid himself. He obviously has much bigger things to worry about then basketball. Taking some time off from the sport to get his life straightened out should be the priority here.

Reactions: ustabe
Get ready for your next season son basketball is done!
Things like this send people to jail. Intent to Deliver!!
Absolutely has to be done for the season. Sorry hard lesson to learn.

I am sure it is all just a big misunderstanding and it's easy to explain.....definitely not fault of his own.

Ha!

Yeah, I'd agree. Most team/school policies will have that kid on the sidelines for the rest of the year. It sounds like the kid might have some issues to get taken care of.

As a parent of three former high school athletes and now college athletes they would all agree the discipline at home would be nothing compared to the school's. I will say yes I am old school and 51 yrs old. So many would or may think I would be to harsh.

First penalty would be probably done for the season as for as playing BUT you will be at every practice and help on the scout team. At games you may go with the team if the coach allows you. You will dress nicely and you will help get water and towels for your teammates. Or any other things the coach needs done.

You will address your coach, your athletic director and school board and apologize for the embarrassment you have brought to the school and the athletic program. You will also do this to your teammates as well. No one person is bigger than the team.

High School athletes/students whether they grasp it or not are role models to children that are younger then them. I know when I grew up I idolized the players i watched, maybe some looked up to me, I know my kids had their idols/favs and the last few years I know my children were looked upon as role models. I have always preached what you do off the court is looked upon just as much as what you do on the athletic fields.

Todays kids and adults must be accountable for their actions. Society has become to soft in not only the discipline but also in not following thru with it. Too many times lets a 2 week grounding becomes 1 week for example.

With all this being done above, the school, the athletic dept, and parents must also come together and make this a moment to rehab or educate the "allegedly accused"/guilty. Make this a life lesson and make it a community wide known issue. Too many times the public wants things kept private and brushed under the rug. For others to learn from this mistake or choice they must be made aware and educated.

Adults its our job to help raise all children and do the best we can by teaching right from wrong. Accountability seems to be lost or ignored thing anymore.

Stepping off the soapbox now

As a parent of three former high school athletes and now college athletes they would all agree the discipline at home would be nothing compared to the school's. I will say yes I am old school and 51 yrs old. So many would or may think I would be to harsh.

First penalty would be probably done for the season as for as playing BUT you will be at every practice and help on the scout team. At games you may go with the team if the coach allows you. You will dress nicely and you will help get water and towels for your teammates. Or any other things the coach needs done.

You will address your coach, your athletic director and school board and apologize for the embarrassment you have brought to the school and the athletic program. You will also do this to your teammates as well. No one person is bigger than the team.

High School athletes/students whether they grasp it or not are role models to children that are younger then them. I know when I grew up I idolized the players i watched, maybe some looked up to me, I know my kids had their idols/favs and the last few years I know my children were looked upon as role models. I have always preached what you do off the court is looked upon just as much as what you do on the athletic fields.

Todays kids and adults must be accountable for their actions. Society has become to soft in not only the discipline but also in not following thru with it. Too many times lets a 2 week grounding becomes 1 week for example.

With all this being done above, the school, the athletic dept, and parents must also come together and make this a moment to rehab or educate the "allegedly accused"/guilty. Make this a life lesson and make it a community wide known issue. Too many times the public wants things kept private and brushed under the rug. For others to learn from this mistake or choice they must be made aware and educated.

Adults its our job to help raise all children and do the best we can by teaching right from wrong. Accountability seems to be lost or ignored thing anymore.

Stepping off the soapbox now

AMEN!

Turn to the CoC. With there being a felony on the table this kid should be done... period.

If not the school needs to reevaluate their CoC.

Seat belt and insurance I would not do anything as I view them as either being stupid and the insurance may well be parents' fault. Expired licence is a personal responsibility issue and would have consequences such as no play until he has updated his license. The drug stuff is big time no-no. Off the team for at least the season. If I had the discretion, I would require drug tests as a condition of readmission next season. Drugs and athletics is way, way too dangerous. Both the kid's ability to hurt himself and his ability to harm someone else while chemically altered. Potential liability is huge.

Curious to read where case comes from. I am hearing rumors around town here.

Reactions: aheyn297
The problem is the felony and drug Paraphernalia charges.. I could not let this pass. I would release the kid from the team but would try to help him get help if he were receptive to that. Either way coaches and players are representatives of not only the school but they are representatives to each other. It is really a sad situation all around.

It was Davenport Central. 4A school that was ranked at the time of his suspension. I'm not sure if it was verified, but rumor was the School District policy required only a 1 game suspension for all those charges. The kid received 2 game suspension. He missed the Bettendorf and North Scott games. He returned for the Clinton game, which they would likely have lost without him as he scored 19 in the game. You can figure it out from quikstats who it is... Search his name on google to get the arrest report.

To me it looks awful on the district and other coaches were irrate. The fact kids have to sit out a season simply from transferring from one school to another, but you can have felony charges and only get 2 games is a joke.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Athletics are a privilege and not a right. Athletes should be ineligible to play until their legal situation works itself out. IMO the shame is on Davenport Central for allowing a charged felon to continue to be playing if the legal situation isn't resolved.

A 2 game suspension is only possibly enough If the felony is gone and the other charged have been been cleared. Has that been done? He is 18 and its time for him to start taking responsibility of his own actions.

Unless there is information that we are unaware of 2 games seems light. I always assumed at a minimum it is a 1/3 of a season for issues of this nature. I have seen kids that were at a party and not drinking but alcohol was there get a 1/3 season suspension. Are the other details?

Legally, the school can't go beyond it's own Board Approved Code of Conduct. And, you have to differentiate between a case where charges are pending and him being convicted of a felony. Now, the coach always has discretion to "punish" as he sees fit. However, there is more to punishment than suspensions. The kid may be running until he pukes each morning at 5:00. He may be doing coach-imposed service hours, etc. You have to weigh each situation: does he have a record of behavior issues? First offense? And, as educators, what is the balance between basketball being a (or THE) vehicle to actually help him improve himself going forward? Does eliminating basketball eliminate the best chance for him to be succesfull in society, or does eliminating bball serve as the best motivator? These are not cut-and-dry questions applicable to all cases.

If that's their School policy a two game suspension quite frankly that's embarrassing as a school… Someone should be calling the school board on that ,that's ridiculous

It says specifically in the Davenport Community School- Good Conduct rule that it is a 1/3 season suspension for first offense. Half season for second. Done for the third. "Possession, use, or purchase of illegal drugs or the unauthorized possession, use or purchase of otherwise lawful drugs."

Since he self reported within 48 hours the administration is allowed to lower the suspension to 1 playing date.

When I initially read this story I assumed it was from Dubuque there has been a series of odd stories like this over the past few years.

A while back it was Wahlert that had a drinking incident during football season with a star basketball player. As ghost80 above notes, the private schools always have some parent threatening trouble with their precious child being held responsible; this is what happened here. Interesting side note, while Daddy got what he wanted--no consequences, after all, the kid was not in Dubuque when he was drinking--the other parents were shocked and this really hurt the resulting basketball season as well as basically ending the football coaches career. Short-term kid got to play. Long-term, parent and leadership were eventually held to task.

Last year is was Hempstead with a series of domestic violence cases against a basketball player. The kid was charged (public case, in the paper), suspended, back on team, violated a no contact, suspended, back on team violated another no contact, suspended....Kept going on an on. Like Wahlert case, the long-term implication seems different as this has really harmed the program. Realize, DBQ has semi-open enrollment and a private school option. The school lost athletes over this.

Hearing rumors of trouble over at DBQ Senior, but can't verify so I will leave details out.

When I initially read this story I assumed it was from Dubuque there has been a series of odd stories like this over the past few years.

A while back it was Wahlert that had a drinking incident during football season with a star basketball player. As ghost80 above notes, the private schools always have some parent threatening trouble with their precious child being held responsible; this is what happened here. Interesting side note, while Daddy got what he wanted--no consequences, after all, the kid was not in Dubuque when he was drinking--the other parents were shocked and this really hurt the resulting basketball season as well as basically ending the football coaches career. Short-term kid got to play. Long-term, parent and leadership were eventually held to task.

Last year is was Hempstead with a series of domestic violence cases against a basketball player. The kid was charged (public case, in the paper), suspended, back on team, violated a no contact, suspended, back on team violated another no contact, suspended....Kept going on an on. Like Wahlert case, the long-term implication seems different as this has really harmed the program. Realize, DBQ has semi-open enrollment and a private school option. The school lost athletes over this.

Hearing rumors of trouble over at DBQ Senior, but can't verify so I will leave details out.
Your rumors about DBQ are not unfounded ....check quikstats and you can figure it out

Before this gets out of hand regarding the suspended Senior player. He got in a fight on a city bus. School District policy is 5 games. Coach Eimers suspended him 10. Coach Eimers also dismissed his 2nd leading scorer from the team coming into this school year for shoplifting. The kid is now playing at a prep school in Florida. This kid's brother is one of the top 7th graders in the state. His mom just moved him to Hempstead's district.

There should have been people fired last year for what was allowed to happen at Hempstead. I don't know how anyone could let their kids go to that school after the principal and coach tried brushing things under the rug.

Before this gets out of hand regarding the suspended Senior player. He got in a fight on a city bus. School District policy is 5 games. Coach Eimers suspended him 10. Coach Eimers also dismissed his 2nd leading scorer from the team coming into this school year for shoplifting. The kid is now playing at a prep school in Florida. This kid's brother is one of the top 7th graders in the state. His mom just moved him to Hempstead's district.

There should have been people fired last year for what was allowed to happen at Hempstead. I don't know how anyone could let their kids go to that school after the principal and coach tried brushing things under the rug.

How did the coach get away with doubling the school district penalty?

The kid was in minor trouble before. Nothing like drugs... Prankster types of things in the classroom. He comes from a tough environment and he needs to realize what a privilege HS sports are to be a part of.

I really don't know if coaches in Dubuque can set their own penalty or not. Coach Eimers has always had strict rules in place for character all the way back to the Marcus Washington teams of 8 years ago.

The kid can take it two ways. He can either learn from the mistake(s) and try to improve or he can go the wrong way. Hopefully having to sit on the bench these 10 games opened his eyes and mind.

There was nothing "brushed under the rug" at Hempstead last year. The kid was suspended last year, given an opportunity to earn his way back, and then eventually kicked off.

As a comparison to the situation at Central... The second leading scorer for West was suspended 1 game for a fight in school... So, you get 2 games for a felony charge among other charges... 1 game for in school fight... Miss the whole season for transferring schools for environment improvement and safety reasons.

That is what I have learned this year from what has happened in Davenport.

Bottom line blame the schools for lack of discipline or whatever your view is. Where the heck are the parents? I have no idea how many of the people who have commented on this thread are parents. But if you are what kind of standards do you have in your home?? What kind of role model are you? We can all point fingers at the schools, but its our job to raise our kids with values and morals. Not the schools.

We want the kids to be accountable then we as adults need to be accountable in our parenting roles. Which includes the disciplining our kids.

Bottom line blame the schools for lack of discipline or whatever your view is. Where the heck are the parents? I have no idea how many of the people who have commented on this thread are parents. But if you are what kind of standards do you have in your home?? What kind of role model are you? We can all point fingers at the schools, but its our job to raise our kids with values and morals. Not the schools.

We want the kids to be accountable then we as adults need to be accountable in our parenting roles. Which includes the disciplining our kids.

I am fairly certain that if any of my children were involved in a situation similar to this how many games they were going to miss would be the least of their worries.

Reactions: IASOONER
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT