ADVERTISEMENT

What is the best sub .500 team to make a run at state

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Chances are high that a sub .500 team will either make a run or come close to getting all the way to state. Which team best fits this bill?

Depends on how the season finishes out, but knowing the East side of the state I have to say Substate 3 and Substate 4 in 4A have teams that could surprise. Hempstead and Waterloo East will finish close to .500, but could move about the .500 mark in the coming weeks.

Substate 3 has a CR Kennedy that keeps looking better. A Waterloo East team that is making huge strides. East looked like an MVC bottom dweller and has turned into a mid-pack formidable team.

Substate 4 has Davenport North, which has beaten North Scott and held solid leads against Central and Hempstead earlier in the year and lost the games late. Then you have Hempstead who beat Western Dubuque at the beginning of the season, lost a tough one to Senior, and should be able to play with any team in that substate.

Oh and in Substate 5 PV got a great draw, but Bettendorf has been hitting its stride and they will likely finish slightly above .500. However, they should be a major threat to PV.

Don't know what's going on at Bettendorf, but I really thought they were going to have a pretty good team this year. Last year they came on strong at the end, and may do it again this year.

Don't know what's going on at Bettendorf, but I really thought they were going to have a pretty good team this year. Last year they came on strong at the end, and may do it again this year.

Yeah. I'm not sure either. I watched them against Galesburg at the Iowa/Illinois shootout and they looked like the best team at the shootout. I believe they are the most talented team in the MAC, but they sure don't play like it. I personally think the system that Bettendorf runs isn't beneficial to the skills of the players. They have a ton of length and great floor running athletes. They say the best coaches adjust to the players they have. I would be pressing and pushing with that team. Every player on that team can run the floor and they are about 10-11 guys deep in solid talent. The only person who couldn't handle a press is Kallenberger, but he barely plays anyways and football is his sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT