ADVERTISEMENT

What conference race will be the most interesting to follow

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
What conference race will be the most interesting to follow during the rest of the year (ie: most questions for who will win)?

LAKES CONFERENCE:
3 way tie between teams that are all ranked in the top 5 statewide.
Western Christian-Spirit Lake-LeMars are 1-1 head to head with the home team winning big each time.
First team to win on the road will probably be conference champ.
1/23: LeMars @ Western
1/27: Western @ Spirit Lake
2/1: Spirit Lake @ LeMars

Spencer or Estherville have an outside chance of playing the spoiler.

Boyden Hull's upset of MOC really tightens up the Siouxland. Four teams within two games of the top spot as the second half of the conference schedule gets under way. Maybe not the glamour of the Lakes with 3 top five teams involved in the race, but the Siouxland, as always, will be exciting down the stretch.

Originally posted by Jay Banager:
Boyden Hull's upset of MOC really tightens up the Siouxland. Four teams within two games of the top spot as the second half of the conference schedule gets under way. Maybe not the glamour of the Lakes with 3 top five teams involved in the race, but the Siouxland, as always, will be exciting down the stretch.
Agree. Thought MOC would run away with it this year, but upset by BH & a scare for Central Lyon earlier.
Siouxland still has 2 of the top 1A schools (Central Lyon & Boyden-Hull), 2 good 2A schools (Sheldon & Sioux Center), plus a 3A contender in MOC.

Sioux Center is finally healthy, but I've heard they've got some internal strife going on. They still have the potential to beat any of the teams above them on a given night.

Still MOC's title to lose.

Originally posted by VanderHoops:

LAKES CONFERENCE:
3 way tie between teams that are all ranked in the top 5 statewide.
Western Christian-Spirit Lake-LeMars are 1-1 head to head with the home team winning big each time.
First team to win on the road will probably be conference champ.
1/23: LeMars @ Western
1/27: Western @ Spirit Lake
2/1: Spirit Lake @ LeMars

Spencer or Estherville have an outside chance of playing the spoiler.
This is just semantics, but I'm not sure you could qualify Spirit Lake's 9 point victory over Le Mars as "winning big", at least compared to the other two games you are talking about.

Hull Western Christian beat Spirit Lake at home by 37 in a game where there was little doubt from the opening tip.

Le Mars beat Western Christian by 19 at home in a game where LeMars led by 20+ most of the second half until subs came in.

In the Le Mars at Spirit Lake game, LeMars actually held the lead with a few minutes left in the game, and it was just a 3 point game with roughly a minute left before Spirit Lake hit 12 of 14 free throws down the final stretch. Spirit Lake ended up winning by a healthy score, but it definitely wasn't the same type of game as the other two.

Again, it is just semantics and it doesn't really matter, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

The Lakes Conference race will definitely be interesting from here on out. If I had to guess, I will say Western sweeps the rest of the season to take the conference crown with LeMars and Spirit Lake tying for second place at two losses each.

The Lakes will be fun to watch down the stretch. Might see all three of these teams in DM. Of course, if Western sweeps the other two, the winner of LeMars vs Spirit Lake would most likely have two losses and the loser would end up with three conference losses, barring any other upsets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT