ADVERTISEMENT

West Lyon

IASPORT

Freshman
Aug 24, 2010
After watching 2 of there games and seeing a few games of the top 1A teams...I think West Lyon could be a top 3 team in class 1A.They are the obvious favorite in Class A but I think they could win it in class 1A.What do you guys think?

Good team, probably right that they could be ranked in top 5 in 1A. They could not beat Regina. Regina best team in 1A, 2A, and 3A.

Originally posted by privateer13:
Ya, no way do they even play with Regina.
Just curious, what makes Regina so much better than West Lyon? Talent? Depth? Coaching?

Both teams are amongst the best in their class.

This post was edited on 9/23 11:49 AM by usfhawk

I've seen the following teams so far this year: Sioux Center, CLGLR, RV/BH, Emmetsburg, and West Lyon. I'll see Spirit Lake this weekend. There is not a comparison on who the best team is. I would say West Lyon would be a top 4 team in Class A,1A, and 2A. Would they win it in those 3 classes? It then becomes about matchups. They are big, fast, talented, deep, experienced, and hungry. I definitely would travel to Iowa City to see them take on Regina.

Originally posted by privateer13:
Talent and more likely depth of talent. Both teams are well coached.
In normal years, the top 3 teams in class A and class 1A are very similar. Obviously 1A will have more depth and more quality teams due to higher enrollment numbers. Regina is somewhat of an outlier. They are viewed as alot better than
any other 1A or even A team. When comparing these two rosters, I think it is fair to say that Regina has alot more depth. With more depth comes more talent. With that said, West Lyon has some talent
of their own.

I'm confident it would be a competitive game.

With all due respect to West Lyon, I think Regina would beat them by at least three possessions.

If Iron Doc had a farm, he would bet it that West Lyon will be the 2013 Class A State Champs. Just sayin'

I would say it would be very difficult to beat West LYon by three scores because of their style. They are going to pound and take their 3 yards every play. If West Lyon doesn't win the A Champoinship this year, it is because of injury or some really outstanding coaching by the othe team. It is definetly theirs to lose.

I think the top 4 in class A are very good.

Monte
Wapsie
BGM
West Lyon

To me, all of these teams could compete in 1A. Class A playoffs will be a dogfight.

I would predict one of these 4 teams as the state champs, but not sure any of them stand out.

Didn't we crown West Lyon last year after they got on a roll and then Hinton got them in the playoffs. All respect to West Lyon but they have a tough schedule ahead of them especially the last 3 games of their district 1 schedule (Woodbury Central, us and Akron Westfield).

^^^^^ West lyon is the Team to Beat in the State this year.
If you think other, you are mistaken.

West Lyon has the easiest path to the finals.
None of the teams on that side are considered favorites,

The other side (east side} has many.
Theres BGM...my favorite to win it.
Theres little ole Wapsie Valley...5 State Championships in the past 25 years and still not enough respect.
GR is very solid and very underrated.Could be ......
Pekin has beaten......

Maybe its too early for all this. Just getting the jump on all the West side predijuce that starts around playoff time.

Hopefully we wont have to hear it this year.

Originally posted by IASPORT:

West Lyon has the easiest path to the finals.
None of the teams on that side are considered favorites,

The other side (east side} has many.
Theres BGM...my favorite to win it.
Theres little ole Wapsie Valley...5 State Championships in the past 25 years and still not enough respect.
GR is very solid and very underrated.Could be ......
Pekin has beaten......

Maybe its too early for all this. Just getting the jump on all the West side predijuce that starts around playoff time.

Hopefully we wont have to hear it this year.
Not sure I agree.

Not saying this means much, but here are the averaging rankings (bcmoore) of both sides of the bracket.

D1/D2/D7/D8

D3/D4/D5/D6

I agree that teams like BGM, Pekin, Wapsie Valley and Montezuma are very solid teams. But, just because not many people talk about AHST, AGWSR, East Mills, Lawton Bronson, Hinton, Bishop Garrigan does not make them any less of a team then the teams you mentioned. We could argue that these schools play better teams week in and week out.

There are 3 D3/D4/D5/D6 teams in bcmoores top 10 as opposed to 7 from D1/D2/D7/D8

Im not claiming any side is better than the other. But, WHOEVER wins the state title will have earned it.

West Lyon is hard to tell. The weakness defensively seems to be the passing defense. Offensively it seems to be the passing game as well.

1A has a team with nearly identical stats and strategy. With approximately the same schedule strength as well.

NFV and WL are essentially the same.

NFV 2913 rushing yards for 8.1 YPC 44 TD
WL 2667 rushing yards for 7.0 YPC 34 TD

NFV 28-55 665 passing yards 7TD 3INT
WL 25-53 537 8TD 1INT

NFV 10.5 Sacks 61TFL 8INT 6FR
WL 16 sacks 37TFL 10INT 14FR

WL has a big advantage in the kicking game. 37.7 Yards per punt to NFV 26.7. 3-3 FG with long of 51 to 0-0. 27-35 PAT to 19-31.

I would say NFV is slightly better on offense, but WL has a shutdown rushing defense and plays in good field position because they have a solid kicker/punter.

WL is a solid Top 5 in 1A and considering 2A and 3A are both down this year I am willing to say they would be Top 5 in those classes as well.

Teams I am confident are better than them are as follows...
Heelan
Waukon
Carroll Kuemper
I think a rematch with Sioux Center would be a battle. They have gotten better all year.
New Hampton
Possibly West Marshall
IC Regina
Possibly DNH
Possibly NFV
Healthy CBSA(No Culjat and WL would win easy)

There is a huge jump in talent and depth from A to 3A. I would say that the following teams would beat West Lyon from 3A.

Heelan
Boone
Clear Lake
Decorah
Pella
DCG
Harlan
Washington
Solon (I think they would give Regina a lot better game now)
Webster City
Spencer
Carroll
Creston
Williamsburg
Grinnell
Oskaloosa
Waverly Shellrock

2A would be

Keumper
Albia
New Hampton
Waukon
West Marshall

1A the only team I am sure would be West Lyon is Regina

Originally posted by PNation:
There is a huge jump in talent and depth from A to 3A. I would say that the following teams would beat West Lyon from 3A.

Heelan
Boone
Clear Lake
Decorah
Pella
DCG
Harlan
Washington
Solon (I think they would give Regina a lot better game now)
Webster City
Spencer
Carroll
Creston
Williamsburg
Grinnell
Oskaloosa
Waverly Shellrock

2A would be

Keumper
Albia
New Hampton
Waukon
West Marshall

1A the only team I am sure would be West Lyon is Regina
So stats from this year...
1A is 4-1 versus 3A teams this season.
3A Spencer 44 1A Emmetsburg 21
1A North Fayette Valley 61 3A Oelwein 0--- 8-0 3A Waukon won 56-0 on Oelwein... 8-0 3A Decorah won 63-0 on Oelwein
1A Council Bluff St. Albert 35 3A Council Bluff Lewis Central 28
1A Colfax Mingo 63 3A Saydel 47
1A Regina 38 3A Solon 0

1A is 24-19 this year against 2A...
Notable games...
1A South O'Brien 34 2A Sioux Center 26(6-2)
1A Manson NW Webster 27 2A South Central Calhoun 16(4-4... Losses include 5-3 3A Humboldt, 8-0 2A Carroll Kuemper, 7-1 2A Spirit Lake)---
1A Wilton 44 2A Louisa Muscatine 0(5-3)

Waukon is 2A not 3A and they beat South Winn (1A 6-2) 52-0. That's a pretty big margin when their other loss came by 10 to NFV. I'd be willing to say that West Lyon would make the championship game in class 1A without much of a problem. I'd call Regina the favorite, mainly because of the 50 game win streak, but they can still be beat. Everybody can be beat on a given night.

Maxtabs, I saw them play for the first time this season last week. I can also tell you that West Lyon could have named the score. It was 28-0 in the first quarter. They don't throw the ball much because they have 3 all state backs and a GREAT offensive line. Their QB is rating is one of the highest in the state. Snyder completed 5 of 7 passes that were all on a dime to his targets. They have 6'5", 6'4", 6"3, and a 5'11" burner for targets. Defensively, their pass rush is great and their lb's and secondary is very good against the run and pass. Woodbury Central was 0-15 before they completed a pass. Judging by the forums and stats, West Lyon rarely plays their starters in the 2nd half. I attend mostly 2A and 3A games. I saw 2 teams play(Sioux Center & CLGLR) that West Lyon beat handily and they are both very good teams. I'm not crowning them, but I've seen this West Lyon group since they were 7th graders and they can play football w/ anyone.

I don't know about playing with anyone but I think they would compete very well with Regina. I think they will win class A. Haven't seen them in person but watched their first game that was televised and they looked very impressive. They have also played a much tougher schedule than say a BGM who seems to be the team a lot of people are picking to win it all. I am just not convinced d6 is that strong. At the start of the year I thought it may be but just not sure anymore. BGM is very good but I just don't know how good compared to the other top teams. We will find out shortly.

west Lyon good but not that good. regina would roll west lyon. heck I think west lyon gets beat by someone before the dome this year.

they get all the talk but their whole side of the bracket is full of good teams.

Jbdomination Have you seen West Lyon play? I would guess that you are a high school kid from
lawton Bronson that has no clue. If you did you would know that before you talk trash about west Lyon maybe you should wait till you beat them one timel. We need to fix the problems that we have on our team.

Eagle. West Lyon played LB a couple weeks ago and rolled to an easy, 48-7 win, I believe.

LBDomination has No idea and just a Troll.

Please excuse any comments he makes.

West Lyon will not be touched this year.
Period.

Just like last year??? They were going to just steam roll last year when they came down from 1a and what happened? Exactly. Anyone can be beat and yes west Lyon is good very good but they are can be beat.

West Lyon is the real deal. I think the only team in 1A that could play with them is Regina. In 2A I don't think anyone except maybe Kuemper could give them much of a game. In 3A Heelan is obviously a very very good football team. Would love to see a 3 team shootout with West Lyon, Regina, and Heelan.

I don't think people are giving some of these other 1A teams enough credit. BGM, Wapsie, AGWSR, AHST, and others all can really play football. Again, whoever wins the title will have to earn it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT