ADVERTISEMENT

West Delaware Off-Season Football Q&A

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
We caught up with West Delaware head football coach Doug Winkowitsch and talked to him about his team, their off-season, and much more now!

How has the off-season been going for your team?
"Our off-season has been tremendous. I think it has been one of the best ones we've had. We have been working extremely hard. We have a lot of kids competing every day. We are excited. We lose a three year starter at tailback and some good kids on defense but we are still very optimistic."

What are the biggest question marks for the team?
"I think the key for us will be the second level on defense. We lost some really good linebacker. We know that there are some juniors and sophomores in the mix that need to improve and work extremely hard to fill in the key defensive spots."

What are the strengths of this team?
"I think we'll be pretty dynamic offensively. We got a couple of quarterbacks that are capable kids. We return three starters on the offensive line and two tremendous receivers. We feel pretty good. We got to make sure we can put the defense together."

What are your thoughts on the new district?
"I was really surprised that we weren't going north and playing the same old teams. I like it. It is nice to see new opponents and we are excited for the new challenge. I never thought we'd travel to Davenport to play football but it is closer than Crestwood. We are excited. Any time you can have a challenge it is a good opportunity."

How do you feel about two teams making the postseason in every district?
"Again, I was surprised that he state went to it. We have typically finished in the top two but you see a lot better football in weeks 7, 8, and 9 because teams are fighting for those last spots to get in. It will be interesting."

When replacing graduated athletes, how much does it help having an established program?
"I think what happens is that these kids don't want to be the team that is bad. It is almost like competing against last year's team. We got too fill spots but we don't want to be that team that doesn't succeed. The whole community is so supportive. They are all just football crazy and that helps us stay motivated all year round."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News