ADVERTISEMENT

West Central

Jan 24, 2006
How are the teams looking this year?

DMC will be down this year. Zimmer and Anderson are finally graduated after what seems like years and years of having to watch them play (they were good but glad to see them go)! I don't think they have much left after those two do they?

Panorama will be tough as always. I dont know much about who they have coming up, but best coach in the conference so they will always be tough.

Van Meter will be a team to watch!

Any other ideas out there.

Having seen some of these teams over the last few years, one thing is clear...the Panorama coach is the real deal. He does his research, he scouts, and his game strategy seems to work almost every time.

Last year he took a group of girls that wasn't his most talented group but found a way for them to overachieve.

This year the race comes down to three teams. Van Meter seems poised to win conference with a solid group of juniors and a ton of motivation to overcome several years of Panorama and DMC dominance. This group seems to play well together. They may lack a big size post, but they seem to get it done anyway.

Panorama has to replace 4 starters. A tough job, but if anyone can do it, the Panorama coach can. They seem to have some young talent that will have an impact. I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to win the WC.

DM Christian graduated a 4 year starter in Zimmer and a three year starter and all-stater in Anderson (and yes, it did seem like they were there forever). They have three returning starters. Do they lack depth? Do they lack chemistry? Time will tell.

I hope some of the other teams find a way to rise up this year...ie...Ogden maybe. It gets old getting beat by the same teams each year.

My prediction:

1. Van Meter
2. DM Christian
3. Panorama

I like the prediction Hawkeye Swarm.

Van Meter has some leaders back and will be ready to win. DM Christian will obviously be lacking some after their two big losses. Panorama always has the next ready to step in. I've heard of some grumblings comeing from DM Christian. Anyone know if any of the rumors are true? It is always intersting as a fan to sit back and watch teams play. I enjoy it more now that I don't have any kids in the mix anymore.

My Prediction:
1. Van Meter
2. Panorama
3. DM Christian
I think there might be a team who can challenge DM Christian for this 3rd spot, I just don't know who it would be. Or do they just get it by default as there just isn't much talent beyond these top 3 teams?

At VM, we always heard about grumblings coming from DM Christian. I just heard about alot of issues going on at the school. Wondering if any of them are true. Is it true they have another coaching change? I also heard they had a couple players quit right before the season begain.

Don't know about the DMC rumors but this is the year for someone other than Panorama to grab the outright title....they lost a bunch of seniors and only have 1 returning senior on this year's team. Have heard the freshman and sophomore classes are pretty talented but may take some time to gel. I'd agree with Van Meter as the favorite.

I agree. But if the Union wants to "protect" its rankings, it could keep I35 (#7 as of today) and Central Decatur (#9) together to guarantee that one of the higher rated teams gets to state instead of two lower ranked teams (DMC #10) and VM #12). Given that earlier loss to Van Meter by such a large margin, you have to wonder why I35 is ranked ahead of DMC, whose only loss is to the #11 team in 4A by one point.

Well they did keep I-35 and Central Decatur together, and sent Panorama down that way instead of Van Meter or DM Christian. Van Meter and DMC were also split up, so the West Central conference could potentially have 3 teams at state, although none will be favored to get there.

Karma bit DMC on the a** Tuesday night. Head coach decides not to go the traditional route of starting seniors on senior night because he wants to beat Van Meter for outright conference championship....

Oops....VM 48 DMC 38.....

Karma bit DMC on the a** Tuesday night. Head coach decides not to go the traditional route of starting seniors on senior night because he wants to beat Van Meter for outright conference championship....

Oops....VM 48 DMC 38.....

Personally I see no problem with the head coach making a decision like this. I believe the overwhelming majority of coaches would have done the same thing given that Van Meter was gunning for a portion of the title.

And Maybe, just maybe that decision was made easier by the fact that Christian has their final home game against Madrid tonight in which they can start all the seniors. But by all means don't let all the facts and the full set of circumstances get in the way of your rant.

Personally I see no problem with the head coach making a decision like this. I believe the overwhelming majority of coaches would have done the same thing given that Van Meter was gunning for a portion of the title.

And Maybe, just maybe that decision was made easier by the fact that Christian has their final home game against Madrid tonight in which they can start all the seniors. But by all means don't let all the facts and the full set of circumstances get in the way of your rant.

Wow...didn't know that qualified as a rant! Thanks for the props!

And why don't you share with us what "all the facts and full set of circumstances" are...

I'll hang up and listen....

Interesting decision by the dmc coaching staff. We were happy to help them out with some karma. My guess (and I will admit this is just a guess) is that the majority of coaches would go the traditional route of starting seniors on senior night no matter who they are playing. I'm sure the A.D. had some words with their coaches or at least I would hope he or she did. But I will end with this...Thank you dmc coaches for the poor decision and for letting us help with the karma! And people say god doesn't care about the outcome of basketball games...

Interesting decision by the dmc coaching staff. We were happy to help them out with some karma. My guess (and I will admit this is just a guess) is that the majority of coaches would go the traditional route of starting seniors on senior night no matter who they are playing. I'm sure the A.D. had some words with their coaches or at least I would hope he or she did. But I will end with this...Thank you dmc coaches for the poor decision and for letting us help with the karma! And people say god doesn't care about the outcome of basketball games...

Bulldog10,

Earlier this year when Christian beat Van Meter I thought it was an interesting decision for Van Meter to become emotionally distraught and receive two technical fouls in the game, one of which was obtained by the head coach. I'm sure Christian was happy to help them out with some karma. My guess (and I will admit this is just a guess) is that the majority of coaches would go the traditional route of not losing their cool and earning a technical foul no matter who they are playing. I'm sure the Van Meter A.D. had some strong words with their coaches or at least I would hope he or she did (Oh, wait, isn't the A.D. the head coach? If so, maybe someone else high up at Van Meter can have some strong words with the coach.)

But I will end with this...I expect Christian thanks the Van Meter coaches for the poor decision of earning a technical foul and for letting them help Van Meter with the Karma! And people say God doesn't care about the outcome of a basketball game.

Oh...one more thing Bulldog10, you started this thread by saying "DMC will be down this year." and "I don't think they have much left..." and that "Van Meter will be a team to watch!"
So...after Christian is hit hard by graduation, it looks like Christian, who according to you didn't "have much left" managed to obtain a co-championship with your team...the "team to watch".

Karma...it can be a tough thing.

Well written Hoopster! I didnt realize I had such a strong following. It is good to have you join our thread and join the Rivals site. Welcome.

I have to say Panorama by a slight edge, only because Van Meter has a tougher road. Pekin has some nice wins on their resume.

Things are playing out pretty much as I spoke of in the 2A regional breakdown thread.

Panorama beats I-35 and now plays Central Decatur to go to state.

Van Meter plays Pekin. Tough one to breakdown.

DMC plays Manson in what is probably one of the better teams in 2a. They took #1 Poky to OT. DMC just beat South Central Calhoun. Calhoun was fresh off a win against IKM. IKM beat Panorama by 12 earlier this year. The reason I bring this up is that Panorama would probably be the 5th best team in that region. Which again illustrates how good of a draw they got to play I-35 and Central Decatur.

Come Monday, it is very possible that Van Meter and DMC, both of whom beat Panorama twice, do not make it to state, while Panorama does make it.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
question: would you rather go to state by winning a weak region and get beat by 30 in the first round of the state tournament OR lose a close regional final to a team that wins at least one game at state.

Tough losses for all WCAC teams. Looks like Karma won out for both DMC and VM. I wonder if their HC will think about the senior night decision?

Last edited:
Reactions: GoHawks2009
How do the teams look for next year? Any coaching changes? Van Meter obviously will be the favorite to win conference again (this time out right!).

Tough losses for all WCAC teams. Looks like Karma won out for both DMC and VM. I wonder if their HC will think about the senior night decision?

Hey Bulldog,

I see you edited your post and removed the last two sentences about the coaches. Thought better of it did you?

Nah, I just found out my answer and wanted to narrow down the focus of my question. Again, welcome to our thread. It is good to have you following.

Did you have an answer to contribute?

question: would you rather go to state by winning a weak region and get beat by 30 in the first round of the state tournament OR lose a close regional final to a team that wins at least one game at state.

Make it to state, no doubt.

Make it to state, no doubt.
Had the chance to play Panorama's 8th grade in a tourney this year- that is going to be a nice team...they have a really good post player. I don't know what they have around them for talent- but that group is tough. Dan Druivenga is one of the best- never hurts to have a great coach.

Should be competitive at the top of the conference again next year. Van meter looks to be the early favorite, panorama returns all but one of its top players and DMC will be strong again if a couple of its tall underclassmen improve. WCV also was much improved and returns a lot of its top players.

Looks like VM is the team to beat; they are in the driver's seat at least. Next week with be huge with two games vs. Panorama.

I'm still waiting for Hoopster2009 to enlighten us with all things dmc. What's going on with your team Hoopster? Will there be another coaching change...isn't it about time for one again? Any new transfers coming in? Got any other ideas on Karma?

Haven't been following things as closely this year but I did just notice that a young Panorama team beat a veteran, senior dominant Van Meter team a few night ago in Van Meter. Then last night I see Panorama did it again to Van Meter in Panora. Both games in OT. Sound like two really good games.

Van Meter had to be the heavy favorite for the conference title and now they most likely will settle for second place. I see they will most likely play in the district final as well.

Panorama's coach is one hell of coach. We will see it he can pull it off a third time.

He often takes younger, less experienced coaches to the woodshed.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Well looks like Panorama wrapped up another conference title. Pretty incredible really with no seniors on the team. The regional tournament will be interesting with them, Van Meter and Des Moines Christian all battling it out.

Boom! We will take the State Tournament. Wish it could have been a more perfect world, where we got the Conference as well.

It was awesome to see dm c finish 3rd. Go Bulldogs.

So does that make DMC Urbandale West?

Was talking to a person the other day about this as I haven't been following the WCAC closely this year.

The ironic thing about this is that I've personally heard Van Meter people openly criticize Des Moines Christian of recruiting. The are probably like every school in that they'd welcome athletes on board. But for Van Meter people to make mention of that is hypocritical.

2 of Van Meter's best 3 players in the last 6 years transferred from a 5A metro school district.

Based on articles I've read and from looking at Quik Stats, one of those transfers completely bailed them out against Panorama to make it to state. The player led Van Meter in scoring in that game and was the difference maker. Without her, Van Meter is still trying to make it back to state for the first time since 2001.

It sounds like the WCAC was way down this year. A young Panorama team, a down Des Moines Christian team and several average to below average teams. The region that Van Meter won was basically conference teams so they benefited from a weak region. The person I talked to said Van Meter has no post play so I expect they will be an early exit at state.

Based on a look of Quik Stats, Van Meter and DMC are hit hard by graduation so next year it looks like Panorama will be the top dog. Of course, maybe Van Meter or DMC will get some transfers in again. Time will tell.

10 girls for DMC saw the court in their last game vs Van Meter. 8 of those girls have attended DMC since at least 6th grade. One, Van Soelen, transferred in in Jr High when her family moved to the metro from California and only one, Rosener, transferred in during HS (freshman year). So 1/10 could potentially be called a "recruit". How about you Van Meter?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT