ADVERTISEMENT

Well looks like the PAIRING PROBLEM was solved

WhiteShadowHoops

Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 18, 2014
Considering most of that thread was about how Central Lyon and Boyden Hull got screwed by being in the same district, turns out neither had to play each other. Why? Oh because South O'Brien beat both teams in consecutive games. Congrats South O'Brien. Would be nice to think maybe some South O'Brien saw some of this disregard on here for their program and used it as fuel. This is why the games are supposed to be played. Its not about the parents, fans, adults. Its about the kids. Don't forget that.

Everybody should be mad they had to be in the same district as South O'Brien then.

I completely agree! South O'Brien is playing well right now, but they have to get past Graettinger-Terril/Ruthven-Ayrshire is tough as well....and they have some size to go with it.

Originally posted by WhiteShadowHoops:
Considering most of that thread was about how Central Lyon and Boyden Hull got screwed by being in the same district, turns out neither had to play each other. Why? Oh because South O'Brien beat both teams in consecutive games. Congrats South O'Brien. Would be nice to think maybe some South O'Brien saw some of this disregard on here for their program and used it as fuel. This is why the games are supposed to be played. Its not about the parents, fans, adults. Its about the kids. Don't forget that.

SOB has been playing great since Christmas & after beating LeMars Gehlen for the 2nd time, no one was taking them lightly.

Good athletes, not a lot of size. Good scorers in Jalas & Struve. D forces a lot of turnovers.

This is the descendent of a really good hoops school from the 80's, Paullina, finally coming around again.

Sioux Center is still in it and has their Substate Final vs Western Christian. I like Sioux Center's coach and they have a lot of experience, but they really haven't played all that well this year.

Originally posted by VanderHoops:

SOB has been playing great since Christmas & after beating LeMars Gehlen for the 2nd time, no one was taking them lightly.

Good athletes, not a lot of size. Good scorers in Jalas & Struve. D forces a lot of turnovers.

This is the descendent of a really good hoops school from the 80's, Paullina, finally coming around again.
They don't really call it SOB, do they? That's unfortunate if they do! I think most of the pairing arguments were from Northwest Iowa in 3A, but I agree they were overblown.

Please refrain from calling them names the school deserves better
nerd.r191677.gif

In regards to South O'Brien, Paullina did have some really good teams in the 80's. Historically speaking....the old Calumet teams of the 1950's/1960's were the best as they were regularly at the state tournament. Calumet was a really small school then and eventually joined with Paullina.

Originally posted by VanderHoops:

When I lived in the area, Sheldon - South O'Brien wrestling went by Sheldon/SOS as their name. I was told SOS stood for South O'Brien School. But that could have changed.

Officially, they call it SOS instead of SOB. It has never been known as SOB by anyone other than students from other schools who think it is amusing.

Not that it really matter but a small history lesson mtdew...You are correct about Calumet being a powerhouse team in the 50's and early 60's. But they eventually merged with Sutherland back around 1962 or so. Paullina was a power house back in the late 60's/early 70's(The Neil Fegebank era) and again in like the early 80's(The Randy Krayenbrink era). Somewhere in the late 80's or early 90's Primghar and Paullina went together and a couple of years later Sutherland joined them to form South O'Brien. As someone else has said they abbreviate it as SOS(South O'Brien School). Paullina, Sutherland & Primghar were part of the old Sioux Valley Conference which had a remarkable run of teams from the conference making the state tournament in the late 60's thru the early 80's. ..Sutherland made it in 1967, Paullina in 1968,1969,1970 Alta in 1971, 1972 Aurelia in 1974 Alta in 1975 Aurelia in 1978 and Paullina in 1980, 1981, 1982. 16 years and 12 times a Sioux Valley Conference team made it to state. For a Class 1A conference quite an accomplishment. Paullina won championships in 68,69,70,81 & 82. Alta won it in 72 was 2nd in 71 and was 3rd in 75. Aurelia was 3rd in 78.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT