ADVERTISEMENT

Week zero

Week Zero is here!

The season kicks off Thursday with two 8-man match-ups. WACO hosts HLV and my Lions travel to Central City.

My Lions lost several skilled backs and an all-state lineman to graduation from last season's 8-1 squad. In terms of experience, the bulk of our linemen and LB's return and have been instrumental in leading the way back from the disappointment of failing to be included in the 2016 post-season.

We will have an almost entirely new line-up at the skill positions, but having several lop-sided scores in 2016 allowed many of them to see considerable playing time in varsity action. For most however, it will be their first experience when the outcome is still in question.

This is only LT's second season in 8-man, so I'm not that familiar with who has what coming back. I expect my Lions will be competitive every week, with the goal of being a post-season contender once again.

Stanton @ Ar-We-Va will feature 2 of the best WR's in 8-man win Johnson-Stanton and Schurke-AWV.

Game of the week CAM @ Lenox. Two teams that were close to being in the top 10. Also showcases one of the top WR's in CAM's Murphy and their athletic QB Hensley. Lenox has a solid core back, led by Still an up and coming QB.

I see Lone Tree edged Central City 26-18. Anyone check that game out?

I was there. My Lions had to replace virtually all of their skill position players this fall with a talented but mostly unproven group of newcomers. As could be expected, there is a lot of tweaking yet to be done. They moved the ball pretty well on the ground and tried to mix in the pass with middling results. The run defense was very good, but they got burned a couple of times on long balls for scores. Central City is a largely veteran unit that I suspect will fare better overall than last season's 3-6 record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT