ADVERTISEMENT

WDM Soccer

Hawk31Eye

Freshman
Oct 9, 2007
Why are the WDM schools (Valley and Dowling) so good?

Heck of a game tonight, with Valley winning in the second overtime...2-1.

Valley beat Millard West today 2-0 which MIllard is ranked #5 in the nation, and #1 in the region, Valley looked good even after the rough game the night before against Dowling. The center midfield not sure his name scored the first goal against Dowling also scored the second goal against Millard great free kick.... Valley is going to be tough to beat this year

I believe you are speaking of Michael Thaden...the kid is a stud! He is coming off of a major groin injury that required surgery to fix in the winter and is still one of the best players in the state! I believe he is off to play at Drake next year.

Originally posted by Hawk31Eye:
Why are the WDM schools (Valley and Dowling) so good?
Two things -- tradition and club soccer.

Both teams have a lot of players who play year round. Also tradition and expectations play a major role. I watched Dowling lose in the state quarterfinals last year and everyone to a person on the team was disappointed in losing that early. That motivates players.
This post was edited on 4/22 6:22 PM by eyecy

You are exactly right. Club soccer requires money which both WDM schools have, and tradition. Valley has won the conference championship every year from 1985 until 2007, except for 1998. They were state champs in 96,97,2001, 2006. Valley soccer is taken very seriously and has some of the best tradition in any sport across the state.

Yeah, well you would have to say that Iowa City West's tradition recently, eclipses Valley's though......../

Let's See State Champs in 2000, 2003, 2005
State Runners Up 2004, 2006,and again in 2007

And with Iowa City West winning last year's Boys & Girls state Track titles, well, the comparison gets a little blurred.......
3dsmile.gif

I believe this is a soccer forum but if you would rather talk about other sports I believe Valley has won the all sports award the last four years in a row...... Nice try though Frosty

Bballerforlife:

'The All Sports Trophy'?????????? WTF?

Is that some award given out by the Des Moines Register to declare that WDM Valley is the 'Best school in West Des Moines?'

Yeah, I kind of thought so.........

Actually, i think Harlan might have won it a few years back too. And Norwalk placed like 4th or 5th overall in 2006 so no it doesnt just consider WDM or Des Moines schools.

'Actually, i think Harlan might have won it a few years back too. And Norwalk placed like 4th or 5th overall in 2006 so no it doesnt just consider WDM or Des Moines schools.'

Oh that explains it.......it's the most athletic school in western polk county.

lurk.gif

You might want to check your map on where Harlan is located. We didn't realize Polk County was 150 miles wide??????

It's based off a point system so good try again frosty... sorry to tell you but Iowa City West isn't the best school in the World which you make it sound like since you probably graduated from there five years ago

Bballer---- Let's see, you try to make your case for your little West Dez Moinez schools and I'll keep bettering what you have with what I.C. West has done. That sounds fine to me.

ic west cant better what valley has done in soccer, if you want to attack valley then go ahead and make yourself look even worse off than you already have

Varsity
Post #349
West Des Moines
MyFanPage
Add Buddy Re: WDM Soccer Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'ic west cant better what valley has done in soccer, if you want to attack valley then go ahead and make yourself look even worse off than you already have'

Actually, since year 2000, when I.C. West won its first title, IC West has been in the championship game almost every year. They are ALREADY besting your boys there at Valley. I hope that clears up the confusion for you.

cool.gif

Originally posted by FrostyMitchell:
Bballerforlife:

'The All Sports Trophy'?????????? WTF?

Is that some award given out by the Des Moines Register to declare that WDM Valley is the 'Best school in West Des Moines?'

Yeah, I kind of thought so.........

Frosty Mitchell, the All Sports Award is an award given by the DM Register for the best athletic program. There are three divisions: small school, medium school, and large school. You get 10 points for a state title, 8 points for a runner-up, 6 points for a third place, 5.5 points for a semi-final finish, 5 points for a 4th place finish, 4 points for a 5th place finish, 3 points for a 6th place finish, 2.5 points for a quarterfinal finish, 2 points for a 7th place finish, and 1 point for an 8th place finish. Here are the large school standings after the winter sports season:

1. Iowa City High 30.5
2. CR Washington 26.5
3. WDM Valley 25.5
4. Cedar Falls 25
5. Bettendorf 24.5
6. Johnston 20
6. Iowa City West 20
8. WDM Dowling 18.5
9. Ames 18
9. Pleasant Valley 18
11. Marshalltown 17
12. Linn-Mar 16.5
13. CR Kennedy 14
14. Ankeny 13.5
15. Waukee 13
16. Muscatine 12
17. DM Roosevelt 11.5
18. Ottumwa 9
19. Urbandale 8
19. Southeast Polk 8
19. Davenport Central 8
22. CR Jefferson 6
22. Mason City 6
24. CB Lincoln 5.5
25. Dubuque Hempstead 5
25. CR Prairie 5
25. Waterloo West 5
28. Dubuque Senior 3
28. North Scott 3
30. SC North 2.5
31. Clinton 2
32. CB Jefferson 1
33. DM Lincoln 0
33. DM East 0
33. DM Hoover 0
33. DM North 0
33. SC East 0
33. SC West 0
33. Fort Dodge 0
33. Waterloo East 0
33. Burlington 0
33. Davenport North 0
33. Davenport West 0

Frosty, looks like you got your wish. Valley isn't #1 and the top two schools are in the MVC.
This post was edited on 5/2 9:08 PM by DSMan
This post was edited on 5/2 9:09 PM by DSMan

Valley is almost guaranteed to win girls soccer, and at least a semi-final finish in boys soccer. Also, the softball and baseball teams are both pretty good, so expect some more points from them....

Hawk31Eye, dowling needs about 13.5 more points and we will have our highest finish in the all sports standings in six years. If we can make it to the first or second round of boys soccer at state, get in the top 3 in girls track, and make it to state in baseball we should do pretty good.

lets just wait and see what happens until playoff time, and i think these states below show that you are not besting valley, so i hope this helps you out.

Most Team Appearances
13 ? Bettendorf
12 ? Valley, West Des Moines
Most Team Victories in State Play:
22 ? Bettendorf
22 ? Valley, WDM
Most State Titles
4 ? Valley, WDM (S-96, S-97, S-2001, S-2006)
3 ? Xavier, Cedar Rapids (S-2004, S-2005, S-2006)
3 ? Bettendorf (S-95, S-99, S-2004)
3 ? Iowa City West (S-2000, S-2003, S-2005)
Schools With Most Championship Appearances
7 ? Valley, WDM (4 titles, 3 runners-up)
6 ? Bettendorf (3 titles, 3 runners-up)
National Championships
1 - Valley, WDM (S-1996)

In 1996 & 1997, when WDM won its first two........were there what...maybe 5 programs in the state of Iowa?

In THIS Century, clearly, Iowa City West has been the team to BEAT.

2000 Champions 2003, Champions, 2004 Runner Up 2005 champions, etc, etc.

And as far as your 'all sports' that is WHACKED. Hell, IC West won the Boys & Girls state track titles, last year.

Frosty, we realize that you guys have a really good soccer program. However, There's more to HS sports than soccer such as football, basketball, track, baseball, wrestling etc.

Scotty Waggonner scored three goals on Monday night...putting him at 22 for the season. He is on pace to set Dowling's career record for goals scored, but in one season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT