ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early look at 8 player next year

Nov 6, 2013
I know we have not even finished the year and the championship game should be very good with two excellent teams. With that said. We will see new additions to 8 player this year and obviously new districts coming out across the board. Anyone want to take their shots at new district sin 8 player? Teams to beat in 2014? Some food for thought is all, have at it and let's see what shakes out!!

Originally posted by player97:

If Turkey Valley drops to 8 man they will be a force.
Turkey Valley has the numbers. They went from 126 last year to 104 this year. Good size drop. They do lose a lot of seniors so being "a force" not sure on that one.

Teams to watch in 2014- MMC, ExiraEHK, Wayne, CAM, Boyer Valley, CRB, HLV, Fremont Mills, Northwood-Kensett and Nishnabota...
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/20 12:27 PM by basketball777

Turkey Valley will make the move, it is done. BEDS will fluctuate up/down slightly but they will be playing 8 player next year. They lose a good group of seniors but still some talent in the junior class and freshman class. People are excited about the opportunities. To say they will be force might be a stretch at this point with some good teams in Northeast Iowa.
They have been in the playoffs five years in a row but that means nothing and the quality of teams in Northeast Iowa is good. Should be interesting.

Guessing District 8 will add East Mills and West Harrison to fill the spots vacated by Corning and Villiscal.

And Westwood Sloan filling in for West Harrison in District 7

Yes that means both East Mills and Westwood Sloan would both move to 8 man from class A. But both schools enrollments should meet 8 man requirements.

Southwest Valley should move to Class 1A. Or maybe even 2A

Anyone else in northeast Iowa moving to 8 player? Hate to use the famous word "rumor" but heard that Postville would like to make the move if possible but they would have to project BEDS lower than what the currently have now.

Originally posted by basketball777:

Originally posted by player97:

If Turkey Valley drops to 8 man they will be a force.
Turkey Valley has the numbers. They went from 126 last year to 104 this year. Good size drop. They do lose a lot of seniors so being "a force" not sure on that one.

Teams to watch in 2014- MMC, ExiraEHK, Wayne, CAM, Boyer Valley, CRB, HLV, Fremont Mills, Northwood-Kensett and Nishnabota...
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/20 12:27 PM by basketball777
If by teams to watch, you mean just interesting, I agree. But Wayne is going to take a big step back as they lose a very strong group of seniors.

QB/S Dillon Lain (excellent on both sides of the ball)
LB C.D. Kunzie (didn't play until the end of the year, but he made a big impact and was our best defensive player when healthy)
WR/CB Trent Carpenter (there's no one really even in line to step in at this spot. Trent was a pretty unique athlete at Wayne)
WR/CB Ethan Horton (didn't make a big impact on offense, but he was very stout against the run off the edge)
OL/DL Evan Sinclair (best guy up front on both sides of the ball, or at least the most consistent)
TE/DE Tyler Jamieson (really came on in the second half of the year as a receiver)

They'll still have RB Clayton Kiefer for another year, which nearly any team in the state would be happy to claim, IMO. But they have to figure out how to maintain some degree of the balance they had this year, or he's going to find fewer holes next season.

Biased of course but I think Northwood-Kensett will be very good. I am pretty sure they will be in 8 man the next 2 year cycle. BEDS one year will be above and one year below the 115. After that there BEDS project to be back up in the 130's so they would be back in 11 man even if the 8 man qualifier was higher. I think they would be in 11 man now if all their classes weren't so female heavy.

If Northwood knows they are going to be over, why are they staying in 8-man? Their numbers are not bad, they have some very good players, and they are going to be over 115....so why 8-man? When Northwood used to have 50 players out playing class A they didn't seem to mind blowing out teams with less than 20 players. Just curious why this is okay with some that seem to have such a problem with Don Bosco.
This post was edited on 11/20 8:29 PM by NEHTrojan

I think Bosco will surprise a lot of people next year. They have many underclassmen that have seen valuable time on the feild this year, and will be ready to step up next year. They have a good group of lineman, and several kids that will open eyes at the skilled positions.

Originally posted by gonorse92:
Turkey Valley will make the move, it is done. BEDS will fluctuate up/down slightly but they will be playing 8 player next year. They lose a good group of seniors but still some talent in the junior class and freshman class. People are excited about the opportunities. To say they will be force might be a stretch at this point with some good teams in Northeast Iowa.
They have been in the playoffs five years in a row but that means nothing and the quality of teams in Northeast Iowa is good. Should be interesting.
You better hope they don't make some sort of run next year, or people will say, having made the playoffs 5 years straight, they shouldn't have dropped down.

As for N-K, I think its more about how many boys are in high school. Out of 120 kids I think they have 50 boys. They have a decent participation rate but that still is maybe 25 boys out. When you field a JV team that takes away a minimum of 11 players because I think you can only play 5 quarters a week. That leaves 14 boys tops for a Friday game. Then that JV game day it is hard to get anything done with 14 practicing. They also don't want to be going back and forth between 8 and 11 man every two years. If they stay 8 man next cycle it keeps some consistency in what they are coaching if that makes sense. As far as comparing to Don Bosco, the difference is N-K projects to have around 25 players for the next 5 or so years where Bosco has 40 some out. That's a pretty good difference. As far as N-K not afraid to blow out teams that have 20 kids out, I have seen most there games for 15 plus years and I don't recall any teams with 20 players or below unless it was NEH(did N-K every play them). Besides, our coach does everything he can not to embarrass any opponent no matter how bad they are.

Yes, NEH and NK used to play. I know coach Capatanni does a great job and this was not a slam on him. I thought your numbers were a little higher than 25.

Probably right. They should be okay but the transition and learning curve will interesting. They had about 33 kids on the roster 9-12 and next year should have 35ish. From what I saw the JV this year was comprised of mainly freshmen and they only had one sophomore out for football. But as I said many good teams in northeast Iowa and no matter what the IAHSAA does with districts it will be very competitive in the area.

Biased of course, but HLV should be a top ten team next season. I think they're a year away from being a serious championship contender but I hope I'm wrong!

There is no rule on the number of quarters per week. The rule is 4 quarters per day if the player is playing two games on the same day. This rule is mostly for bigger schools that schedule freshman/sophomore/JV double headers where there may be a rare instance of a kid playing two.

The other rule is 14 games per year JV and Varsity combined. (Excludes Playoffs) If your team gets up 35, and then the player enters it does not count as a game (they have to come out if the margin falls back down I believe). Also, if a player plays only special teams it does not count as a game. These cases still count as quarters if the player was playing two games in the same day for some reason.

I beg forgiveness if this has been included in other threads. Who currently is in 8 player that will be moving up to 11? By the way what a great championship game today. Congratulations to both teams on a great game and congrats to Don Bosco on a great comeback. That was good football on both sides-no doubt.

Class A Fan 06,

You say that "out of 120 kids I think they have 50 boys". N-K has a 116 BEDS score. Does that mean N-K's senior class has 4 students in it?

You say that N-K projects to have 25 students playing football over the next five years. N-K has 28 players listed on quickstats. Only one of those students is a Freshman. Most teams generally have high participation from their Freshman class. Does N-K only have one Freshman out for football? I would venture to say they have more, which would put them closer to 35 players. They lose 7 seniors. If 0 new Freshman go out next year 3 students would have to quit football to put you at the 25 person roster.

***Typo Edited
This post was edited on 11/22 8:03 AM by StayLow6

Fremont-Mills is a team that should be in the top 10 preseason rankings. Shared the district 8 title this past year and doesn't graduate a single player. They played a bunch of young players and they have a great strength and conditioning program so they will be bigger and stronger come next year. They'll be a force.

Stay Low, my numbers were meant to be 9th-11th. N-K's "roster" is generally seniors thru sophmores unless a freshman is physically ready to play. I think they had 6 freshman so the full roster would be 33. 3 of the listed players did not participate all year due to injury. Take always them and the freshman and that's why I have been saying around 25. They will lose more seniors than freshman coming in so they will be around that number again. N-K will not play freshman unless they are extremely talented and physically ready to play.

I'm predicting MMC will at least make a trip to the dome and wouldn't be surprised if they win it all next season. Lots of returning players and they have some good kids that didn't see tons of playing time this season. Look for kids like Ben Specht and others to really step up next year as up and coming contributors. If D1 stays the same 2-4 will be between HLP, River Valley and RSM. RSM will be an improved team, HLP has some good kids back with the dynamic VanIperen and River Valley has quite a few returning juniors that are very talented as well as a few talented sophomores and freshman that should be ready to help contribute. MMC will just be head and shoulders better than the rest of the district.

District 2 I'm not really sure what to expect. I know both district 1 & 2 lose quite a load of really good players with most that have been starters or key contributors since their freshman and sophomore years.

District 2 fans what do you see happening? NF and WBM will be losing quite a bit.

Who knows what the districts will look like next season but GTRA will be a fore to be reckoned with. I feel like if their offense was different they would have better this season. They have a good group of kids there that will make some noise

I beg forgiveness if this has been included in other threads. Who currently is in 8 player that will be moving up to 11? By the way what a great championship game today. Congratulations to both teams on a great game and congrats to Don Bosco on a great comeback. That was good football on both sides-no doubt.
Southwest Valley is obviously. That's the only one I know that is set in stone. Not sure how all the numbers will play out.

Thanks for the insight, Class A Fan.

Most 8 man teams do not get to automatically discount their freshman and injured players from their overall total. Just in case you were not aware of that.

District 1
MMC loses Spieler, Jackson and Theisen. Will be very hard to replace them. Spielers lil bro will pry step in and play QB. They will be a very good running team and great on defense, will be making another run at returning to the dome.

RV loses Riedamann and almost everyone else. Dont think they have anyone to fill in at QB to run this offense. My quess is we will see a brand new offense compared to what we have seen the past 3 years.

RU I did not get a chance to watch them this season but I know they lose some key players but have alot returning as well. Should finish 2 or 3 in the district I would think.

RStM return QB and Conover, they will be able to put up some points. Not sure on anything else.

KP and HLP both have alot returning and will be in the playoff mix.

District 2
NF loses all 8 starters on both sides of the ball. But that happened in 2011 as well and were district champs that year. Coach Wilken always does a great job of reloading and not rebuilding. They have a lot of young talent with potential coming back. It will all depend on how much work they want to put into the off season.

WBM loses all their athletes. But return a couple of very big and good lineman. Cole Banwart 6'4 245 lbs will be a beast the next 2 seasons. Not sure on how good their young players are but looking at their roster they have a bunch of young familiar names coming up. Fehr, Ruppert, Banwart, Dalhauser, Knobloch, Grimm. I'm sure they will be fine.

GTRA loses 9 seniors not sure what they have to replace them. They have the Girres brothers coming back and they will be tough to stop. I would put them in the top 2 if district 2 stayed the same.

North Iowa gets Paulson back. If he can stay healthy they will always be a tough game.

NEH loses everyone.

River Valley should go with Fitch at QB. Knows the offense and runs well. Not like Brennan as far as lateral quickness but may very well throw the ball better and has size and athletic ability. Most likely the same offense but a little more I formation double tight looks. Watch out for RSM...I can't wait to get out and watch more football whether it's 8 or 11 man ball. Looking forward to getting out and observing area teams. MMC will be very good.

I see Luke has Fremont-Mills ranked #1 on Twitter in his Pre-Season rankings for next year. Thoughts? I would say that its a little pre-mature for a team that didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs. Spencer Phillips is a stud, but still, with East Mills joining that district next year, they may not even make it out of their own district alive.

Anyone know the rest of preseason rankings? I cannot find on Luke's Twitter. Don Bosco would certainly have to be top ten. Football season seems so far away!!!

Anyone know the rest of preseason rankings? I cannot find on Luke's Twitter. Don Bosco would certainly have to be top ten. Football season seems so far away!!!
Next season will be here before we know it!

Originally posted by Jayhawkin:
I see Luke has Fremont-Mills ranked #1 on Twitter in his Pre-Season rankings for next year. Thoughts? I would say that its a little pre-mature for a team that didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs. Spencer Phillips is a stud, but still, with East Mills joining that district next year, they may not even make it out of their own district alive.
Well, they don't graduate a single player who got significant time and like i said above these kids have a great work out program and a nice facility. Many of the key players were underclassmen and Phillips is a rock to build the team around. I don't even think East Mills dropping down will compete with F-M (EM loses a ton to graduation). Will F-M be #1? I dont know, but it's also tough to argue it. They can (and will) only get better by next year.

When you say a nice facility are you insinuating that you have a nice weight room, practice field, game field? Although that is beneficial for any program I don't see why that would help Fremont-Mills with having the #1 ranking. I do not have a problem with them being number one either, should be a strong team next season.

West Bend has a very good sophomore class and some talented freshmen. Jeff Riesenberg as a freshman had two big interceptions in the play off game from Spieler while covering a great tight end in Peterson from MMC.

In Jv I believe they only gave up 12 points and beat Newell's JV like 36-6. They will be very tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT