ADVERTISEMENT

Wahlert transfer

Feb 25, 2018
Wahlert Catholic just had two brothers move into Dubuque that are Basketball players. They are from Roselle New Jersey, went to Roselle Catholic. Dad just got transfered to John Deere's in Dubuque. Clifford Omoruyi 6'11 230 and Jyare Omoruyi 6'6 200. This should make Wahlert a threat to win it all next year.

Wahlert Catholic just had two brothers move into Dubuque that are Basketball players. They are from Roselle New Jersey, went to Roselle Catholic. Dad just got transfered to John Deere's in Dubuque. Clifford Omoruyi 6'11 230 and Jyare Omoruyi 6'6 200. This should make Wahlert a threat to win it all next year.

Not sure where you received this information from but it's the furthest thing from the truth.

Not sure where you received this information from but it's the furthest thing from the truth.
His Father is already in Dubuqe and working at John Deere's, just because he isn't at Wahlert yet (per his Father telling co-workers about his son's) doesn't mean he isn't transfering.

No local buzz about this. May be a rumor or wishful thinking. With four starters returning anyway, WHS would challenge Oskaloosa.

EastIowaHawk, no clue what you see on the Wahlert roster that makes you think they will be notably better next year. Seems like they will still lack a bigman, there alone 2 or 3 bigmen. Top to bottom, bad chemistry on the court and at times awful shot selection. Just not that much talent in the school right now. Maybe the sophomore class by the time they are seniors. Maybe.

Wow - so returning a first team all MVC and third team all state kid, a second team all MVC kid and returning the top three leading scorers is bad chemistry (all scoring in double figures in the MVC as juniors) and not much talent. Sounds like quite an expert on Wahlert basketball to me.

Sorry Schock44, if you spend some time looking over these pages, you will see EastIowa and I talk about DBQ area sports a fair amount. We often disagree, but never does it become personal. No idea why you both took offense and responded so....sarcastically? Angrily? People can offer thoughts without it needing to take offense.

Regarding the expertise question. Yes, I am. At least, I've played, officiated and coached a variety of sports including basketball for a number of years. But here, let me help you out.

Wahlert last season 2018/2019:
10-12 FG% 41.2% 249 Assists / 238 Turnovers

Wahlert 2017/2018 season:
8-14 FG% 42.7% 254 Assists/ 306 Turnovers

Wahlert 1016/2017 season:
7-16 FG% 39.6% N/A

Note several issues: First, the record improved +1 and +2 wins. Not a rapid improvement. This year included several last second wins, which wonderful to watch, but are also more-or-less random. That means, team could have easily remained 8-14, but even at 10-12 I question the improvement. Also, note that using Quikstat Data the average 3A team shot 43.1% with a StDev of 4.1 which means Wahlert was about 1/2 StDev below the average shooting team in the conference. That is, what people cite as the team strength (shooting) is actually BELOW average in 3A.

That obviously begs the question, why is Wahlert shooting so poor? 2 answers: 1. Lack of a bigman this year. Replacing Bandy with.......? Forces too much parameter action and teams can easily scout and defend. Watch a Wahlert game and you're struck by the number of strange turnovers 30 feet from the bucket. That's typical of pressure on the guards without a low-post release. 2. Poor shot selection. Given what I saw, the shooting issues are a structural problem with the offence and talent mix.

This brings us to next year. As I said in my original post, I don't see a bigman in the development process that will solve the size problem. Thus the same physical challenge is there. Mobile bigmen have killed Wahlert for a while now. I don't see that changing.

Two final comments. First, all MVC or All-State is not very relevant to the overall quality of the team. The Duax boys over at Hempstead have been all-everything and, I believe, only one of their teams has made it to state during the 5 brothers careers. Second, the chemistry problems on Wahlert are well known in the basketball community around here. I could go into detail, but this is a public forum. God love people who can coach people with an attitude, I know I refuse to.

Just got back from a business trip and read my post further back in this thread. I was referencing/basing my comments on the "wishful thinking" comment I made about a possible transfer, and should the transfer ever occur I would think that the Golden Eagles would surely contend with Osky (whom they beat on a neutral court two years ago). Otherwise, the majority of the comments made above about Wahlert not having a true center and average (or at least undersized) front court are sadly true. I'd argue about the chemistry problem comment, because the four kids back next year (which includes late season starter Lucas Topping, 6-4 if he stands on his toes) have played together since 2nd grade in Dubuque. Unfortunately, like in every city with multiple teams, folks have opinions about the various teams and their chemistry. Like makelovenotwar states, I don't want to make any comments on a public forum, but all the local and state teams I follow have their own cases of drama and variable chemistries and personalities, and observers can interpret or misinterpret things differently at times. There is no more stable team than Wahlert, as far as kids sticking with the program. My idea of success for Wahlert, the smallest school in the rugged 16-team MVC, is close to .500. Next year they could go above that. Senior has a very strong incoming junior class with talented guards, and they should be very competitive. Hemstead always seems to have incoming talent from the middle schools, particularly Jefferson. And Western Dubuque has shown they can play with most teams. And I'm not going to say anything about the Barnstormer tragedy, which has affected so many kids from so many schools.

Last edited:
Just got back from a business trip and read my post further back in this thread. I was referencing/basing my comments on the "wishful thinking" comment I made about a possible transfer, and should the transfer ever occur I would think that the Golden Eagles would surely contend with Osky (whom they beat on a neutral court two years ago). Otherwise, the majority of the comments made above about Wahlert not having a true center and average (or at least undersized) front court are sadly true. I'd argue about the chemistry problem comment, because the four kids back next year (which includes late season starter Lucas Topping, 6-4 if he stands on his toes) have played together since 2nd grade in Dubuque. Unfortunately, like in every city with multiple teams, folks have opinions about the various teams and their chemistry. Like makelovenotwar states, I don't want to make any comments on a public forum, but all the local and state teams I follow have their own cases of drama and variable chemistries, and observers can interpret or misinterpret things differently at times. There is no more stable team than Wahlert, as far as kids sticking with the program. My idea of success for Wahlert, the smallest school in the rugged 16-team MVC, is close to .500. Next year they could go above that. Senior has a very strong incoming junior class with talented guards, and they should be very competitive. Hemstead always seems to have incoming talent from the middle schools, particularly Jefferson.

Always enjoy your comments EIH. I agree, a team like Wahlert with 4 starters returning and lots of experience will have a good chance to make a run this year. Especially if they were to get a transfer of that caliber...anyone could make a run in Iowa with a kid that has a Kentucky offer. Eastern Iowa will be loaded once again in 3A especially since it looks like Western Dubuque will be 3A this coming season. They return pretty much the whole team. Wahlert, WD, Marion, Xavier, Assumption, Waverly is always around. Lots of talent, although I think Norwalk will be the team to beat...and that team is Osky has a decent player

Thanks, Hawki45. I tell you, I was soo impressed with Born from Norwalk in the tourney. That kid is really a gamer.

Always enjoy your comments EIH. I agree, a team like Wahlert with 4 starters returning and lots of experience will have a good chance to make a run this year. Especially if they were to get a transfer of that caliber...anyone could make a run in Iowa with a kid that has a Kentucky offer. Eastern Iowa will be loaded once again in 3A especially since it looks like Western Dubuque will be 3A this coming season. They return pretty much the whole team. Wahlert, WD, Marion, Xavier, Assumption, Waverly is always around. Lots of talent, although I think Norwalk will be the team to beat...and that team is Osky has a decent player
I think that for 3A from the Eastern side, it will be Wahlert or Xavier that make it to state of the teams you list out. Wahlert has one of the best senior backcourts in the state(Schock and Schmitt are legit) and one of the top veteran coaches in Tom English...they are always a threat even when the regular season record isn't great. Xavier has a skilled senior class and a potential superstar big in Jaylon Moses...if Moses elevates his game substantially, this could be a team that could not only get to state but get hot and have a chance to win it. Assumption will be down and Waverly will be ok. Don't sleep on Mt. Vernon either...Kutcher is a very talented scorer and Ed Timm can game plan with the best of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT