ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers coming rolling in

Who is the kid Waukee got?

Dale Stout, he was teammates with Arland Bruce IV at Olathe North.

Valley was loaded before getting 5 transfers

Wait 5? Who are the others besides Rubley and Nelson?

I know two starters from Johnston last season transferred to WDMV, and two of Rubley's teammates were supposed to come with him, but it doesn't look like either of them did from what I saw and asked Coach Swenson a couple weeks ago.

Sounds like the only things standing between Valley adding to their trophy case is provable transfer compliance and COVID-19.

I wondered if this were the case, schools better think that decision through because it is fraught with potentially dangerous outcomes (refer to the IHSAA document on “General Transfer Rule on Athletic Eligibility”). All it would require is a disgruntled individual to launch a complaint about the legitimacy of the residency (probably not an issue with the 2-7 team but a championship contender?).
I understand the Rubley kid at Valley has moved here with his dad. I assume the other recent transfers to Ankeny and SE Polk are doing the same. Why do you think otherwise?

I understand the Rubley kid at Valley has moved here with his dad. I assume the other recent transfers to Ankeny and SE Polk are doing the same. Why do you think otherwise?
Have you read the IHSAA document cited above? Unless I’m mistaken, just physically moving doesn’t necessarily satisfy the requirements outlined in it. There’s also an “intent to make this your home” clause which I assume was to make the “temporary move” (with another permanent residency elsewhere) a prohibited event. But hey, I could be mistaken and perhaps all these recent transfers are “truly” wanting to be legitimate Hawkeyes.

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
Have you read the IHSAA document cited above? Unless I’m mistaken, just physically moving doesn’t necessarily satisfy the requirements outlined in it. There’s also an “intent to make this your home” clause which I assume was to make the “temporary move” (with another permanent residency elsewhere) a prohibited event. But hey, I could be mistaken and perhaps all these recent transfers are “truly” wanting to be legitimate Hawkeyes.

To make things "fair" to all teams, IHSAA should have allowed open enrollment for the year without the 90 day sit out period. That definitely would have evened the playing fields and it is basically what these out of state transfers are. From what I have read, it sounds like the Valley transfer is the most legit case of all of them, but that also may be a resource issue

I am no expert on the rules, but I think you are conflating two separate scenarios.

The general transfer rule is IHSAA Rule 36.15(3). A student who transfers from any school without a change in his or her parents residency is ineligible for 90 school days. In those situations, the student "intending to establish residency must show that the student is physically present in the district for the purpose of making a home and not solely for school or athletic purposes."
In other words, there has to be a non-school or sports reason why you are moving in with someone not your parents.

The rule, however, has a number of exceptions, the first of which deals with when a parent actually moves:

"a. Exceptions. The Executive Officer or Executive Board shall consider and apply the following exceptions in formally or informally ruling upon the eligibility of a transfer student and may make eligibility contingent upon proof that the student has been in attendance in the new school for at least ten school days: (1) Upon contemporaneous change in parental residence, a student is immediately eligible if the student transfers to the new district of residence or to an accredited nonpublic member or associate member school located in the new school district of residence."

So I think so long as a parent actually moves, a temporary move is perfectly acceptable. Would welcome any comments from someone who has seen the IHSAA actually apply any rule and deny eligibility.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Perhaps so, I guess I interpreted it as the “exceptions” pertain to the 90 day waiting period and don’t address the sentence: “Unless otherwise provided in these rules, a student intending to establish residency must show that the student is physically present in the district for the purpose of making a home and not solely for school or athletic purposes”.

Not to belabor but in the document GENERAL TRANSFER RULE ATHLETIC ELIGIBILITY (Is the student eligible as a result of a change in residence?). They state “The General Transfer Rule itself is concerned not JUST with the residence of the student, but a “change” in the residence, (I.e., does the family claim more than one residence and “this is not permitted as a tenant of statutory construction”.
In other words, if a family has a home in another state (and does not intend on selling it or perhaps a parent/sibling remains there until the conclusion of FB season) and student moves to IA (even with a parent), then it puts the IHSAA in the position to determine which is truly the family “home/residence”.
Again, I may be misreading.

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
I agree it is confusing, but it appears the IHSAA is allowing immediate eligibility if at least one parent moves. I assume most of these kids who had one parent move will transfer back to their home schools after the first semester.

I was told we had 5 transfers practice but after administration discussion, they’re all gone.

Not positive but had heard it was to error on the side of caution concerning residency requirements.

Well if they weren't going to meet the residency requirement it was never going to fly. Too bad.

Well if they weren't going to meet the residency requirement it was never going to fly. Too bad.
Well from what I’ve heard, there’s probably not much difference in what those kids families were going to do for establishing residency, than others in the similar situation.

I know there were 2 from Nazareth in Chicago. Anyone else?
I checked SEPs roster on quick stats yesterday and this morning. Yesterday i didn’t see either listed (may have missed them) today i see the receiver but not the lineman.

I know there were 2 from Nazareth in Chicago. Anyone else?
sounds like two from Nazareth ended up at SEP, heard there were some possible question with them living in a hotel, but sounds like they are playing tonight.

I really think the IHSAA and the school districts dropped the ball on this transfer issue, too bad for the teams playing by the rules

I am a central Iowa guy, but rooting for Bett this year, sounds like they win the integrity award this year

Last edited:
Reactions: Reasoned
sounds like two from Nazareth ended up at SEP, heard there were some possible question with them living in a hotel, but sounds like they are playing tonight.

I really think the IHSAA and the school districts dropped the ball on this transfer issue, too bad for the teams playing by the rules

I was just told at the Altoona Target, that one of the SEP transfers (no idea who, they didn't know name) had an address listed at one point for a house that isn't even built yet?!

What I saw regarding Illinois, at least - if the player moves to Iowa to live with an uncle or some other relative, then moves back to Illinois at the end of the year, he'd be ineligible to play spring sports.

If his parents (or one parent, I imagine) moved to Iowa for the fall, then moved back to Illinois, then he would be eligible to play in the spring.
Has to be a wife swap joke (tv show version) somewhere in all this mess. Lol

The valley/Dowling will be over by half, Dowling will be down this year and Valley was loaded before getting 5 transfers, which includes the best QB in the state

just thought this poorly aged post deserved a bump to the top of the thread for posterity sake... on second thought, I guess it was over by halftime 🤔

just thought this poorly aged post deserved a bump to the top of the thread for posterity sake... on second thought, I guess it was over by halftime 🤔
I'll own it, I can eat my crow. Had a knowledgeable, former coach, buddy at the game, he said two things, Dowlings DL is one of the best he has seen and Rubley is extremely overrated

Reactions: GoBigD6788
Didn’t see the game but a lot of pressure on a QB who’s not a dual threat (have no idea about Rubley’s skill set) will certainly humble their performance.

I'll own it, I can eat my crow. Had a knowledgeable, former coach, buddy at the game, he said two things, Dowlings DL is one of the best he has seen and Rubley is extremely overrated

Saw same sentiment by others in other posts/threads yours just one I saw and used. I’d put 99% of it on the offensive line not the QB. It’s always an easy cop out to call a highly rated person overrated when results don’t match expectations but this isn’t golf or a baseball pitcher. Valley would have lost that game with Tom Brady at QB and that’s not hyperbole.

Didn’t see the game but a lot of pressure on a QB who’s not a dual threat (have no idea about Rubley’s skill set) will certainly humble their performance.

it was the offensive line... he is plenty mobile, no QB can be a non-mobile, non-athlete, pure thrower in this era. The term dual threat has come to be used mostly when a guy is only D1 because of his athleticism and his passing ability is JUST good enough to get by. If you can throw like jake Rubley or jj McCarthy you are going to be called a pocket passer even though they are able to scramble and run also.

Another thing to keep in mind while I (and others) are calling out the valley offensive line... they are used to being primarily run blockers and that would be the emphasis of what they have been expected to do in the program as freshmen, sophomores, and even varsity. All of a sudden a new weapon showed up that you want to use to throw the ball and now they have to pass block. At the HS level any strong, tough kid can run block. Those are also important attributes as pass blockers but add in athleticism and more skill. They aren’t going to be good at it in 2-3 weeks of practice. And they might not even be the right personnel. The top 5 linemen you picked based on the old offense may not be your top 5 linemen for this offense. And even more difficult is the ability to switch back and forth between pass blocking which is more passive in nature and then flip the switch to come off the ball and run block aggressively.

Valley has a D1 RB, he only gained 113 yards (21 carries) against Roosevelt and 54 against Dowling (24 carries). Averaging less than 4 yards a carry. Even with Rubley, the Valley offense isn’t that different (scheme) than years past. Line is definitely the issue.

tit for tat

but at this point it doesn’t really matter because the poor IC kids have been hosed and won’t be playing anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT