ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers coming rolling in

BandGetsToPlay

Freshman
Nov 3, 2002
Willys Pool Hall
Word from the coffee shop is both Valley and Dowling are getting 'transfers' in from out of state. One from Illinois and one from California...more to follow I am sure...b/c, you know, they want to play right away and not wait until December :D

Word from the coffee shop is both Valley and Dowling are getting 'transfers' in from out of state. One from Illinois and one from California...more to follow I am sure...b/c, you know, they want to play right away and not wait until December :D
Is it possible to play both seasons for these kids? Transfer here and then transfer back home?

Is it possible to play both seasons for these kids? Transfer here and then transfer back home?

What I saw regarding Illinois, at least - if the player moves to Iowa to live with an uncle or some other relative, then moves back to Illinois at the end of the year, he'd be ineligible to play spring sports.

If his parents (or one parent, I imagine) moved to Iowa for the fall, then moved back to Illinois, then he would be eligible to play in the spring.

Fascinating to know we have families willing (and able) to move half way across the country in order for Jr. to play HS football.

What I saw regarding Illinois, at least - if the player moves to Iowa to live with an uncle or some other relative, then moves back to Illinois at the end of the year, he'd be ineligible to play spring sports.

If his parents (or one parent, I imagine) moved to Iowa for the fall, then moved back to Illinois, then he would be eligible to play in the spring.

How could they prove who he lived with?

What team will be the biggest beneficiary, Bettendorf?
Well as of right now clearly Dowling (from the two athletes stories known to have actually transferred). Look, in order to become eligible right away it requires the student physically move into the district. Even though the IA QC metro schools are much closer to several larger IL QC metro schools, it still requires the student athlete/family move into the district. Most families don’t have the resources to maintain two residences (which given the short time involved having to sell a home or find a renter etc. is not practical and most leases are for 12 months). So even though transferring may sound alluring at first blush, most families will opt for Jr. to play in the spring...in my opinion...but we will know in a week or so.

Reactions: makelovenotwar
If these kids are planning to play in college this makes sense, especially if they are a power 5 type athlete, but really only if it is their senior year. If it was me, I would want schools to see my game film at the same time most other athletes will be playing.

It's very possible they move these signing dates back this year as campus visits are probably non existent until after the election do to the corona. But, as of now, the dates havent changed and plans need to be made with the information we have, not by what you think might happen. Early signing window is december 16th. Late signing window is February 3. If a player waited to play in the spring they might miss the boat as schools may fill their scholarships before the player even begins their senior season.

As of 4 days ago 6 states have pushed back the football season. If more states follow suit, it makes less and less sense to relocate to play fall football as enough athletes will be in your position it wont have that big of an impact as colleges may hold on to some scholarships until these spring seasons get played.

I must admit being a little surprised at the transfer interest but it is indeed happening, time will tell as to the impact.

Rumor is several larger capital city schools are advertising for a new position, Director of Athletic Recruiting...of course several already have it filled.

Any additional updates concerning pigskin carpetbaggers, schools chosen, talent?

Any additional updates concerning pigskin carpetbaggers, schools chosen, talent?

Sounds like WDSM Valley, Bett, and SEP are the big winners in the free agency market. Also sounds like DC, Ankeny, Waukee, and CCA all added an impact player each. Just the ones I have heard. Any heard of others?

Sounds like WDSM Valley, Bett, and SEP are the big winners in the free agency market. Also sounds like DC, Ankeny, Waukee, and CCA all added an impact player each. Just the ones I have heard. Any heard of others?
Ankeny might get more.

Other than the well publicized transfers to Valley (CA & CO) & Dowling (IL) where are these kids coming from?

So who do we have on the board so far? Quit holding secrets. Spill it.

Dowling Catholic
OL Domenic Virrelli (Illinois)

Valley
QB Jake Rubley (Colorado)
DB Landon Nelson (California)

Ankeny
ATH Arland Bruce IV (Kansas)

Southeast Polk
?

Bettendorf
?

Clear Creek-Amana
?

Also heard the kid who would have started QB at Valley has now transferred to Urbandale.

Okay, go

So who do we have on the board so far? Quit holding secrets. Spill it.

Dowling Catholic
OL Domenic Virrelli (Illinois)

Valley
QB Jake Rubley (Colorado)
DB Landon Nelson (California)

Ankeny
ATH Arland Bruce IV (Kansas)

Southeast Polk
?

Bettendorf
?

Clear Creek-Amana
?

Also heard the kid who would have started QB at Valley has now transferred to Urbandale.

Okay, go
CCA- a DL from IL
SEP-WR and OL from same school in IL as Dowling transfer

Valley, Ankeny and SEP have been taking transfers in a number of sports for years. If the kids want to transfer and follow the rules, more power to them. I am looking forward to the Dowling Valley game and see that Rubley kid play.

Valley, Ankeny and SEP have been taking transfers in a number of sports for years. If the kids want to transfer and follow the rules, more power to them. I am looking forward to the Dowling Valley game and see that Rubley kid play.
The valley/Dowling will be over by half, Dowling will be down this year and Valley was loaded before getting 5 transfers, which includes the best QB in the state

5 ringer transfers huh? Gee, if they do end up winning the state, (never thought I’d say this) kind of an empty way of ending Dowling’s streak...ehh, on second thought, what goes around...;)

And we poor East Siders get crumbs. As far as I know, there are “currently” no transfers in the QCA metro schools... 0.

The valley/Dowling will be over by half, Dowling will be down this year and Valley was loaded before getting 5 transfers, which includes the best QB in the state
Rubley is good, but Dowling is looking for payback for when his Uncle Terry led West Davenport to a championship over Dowling in 1974.

Here are the 2 to SEP that are from the same IL HS as Virelli to Dowling. This HS has now lost 7-8 players to Iowa, Indiana, and Florida.

Last edited:
Yeah well, assuming there is a season this year...perhaps the winner in 4A should be an asterisk.

I was wondering if someone would mention that. I see is teams not mentioning any Positive Coved cases and Football goes on.

It is a unusual year and it is what it is I guess.

So seriously, if a team wins it all (again assuming we get there) with a roster littered with interlopers, are you fine with that?

At the end of the day I suppose that’s true, if they follow the IHSAA (or district) rules for residency then they’re “compliant”...but is it ethical?

Seems kinda hollow to me.

Reactions: franky1967
I do think it sucks for those teams, but if families are legitimately moving then not much to get upset about.
From the stories I have heard from the CIML teams, families are not moving, kids just using addresses and living with new teammates. Sounds like many parents are not happy with coaches

From the stories I have heard from the CIML teams, families are not moving, kids just using addresses and living with new teammates. Sounds like many parents are not happy with coaches
I wondered if this were the case, schools better think that decision through because it is fraught with potentially dangerous outcomes (refer to the IHSAA document on “General Transfer Rule on Athletic Eligibility”). All it would require is a disgruntled individual to launch a complaint about the legitimacy of the residency (probably not an issue with the 2-7 team but a championship contender?).

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
ADVERTISEMENT