ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Players in the 2018 and 2019 Classes

Cheese2

Freshman
Apr 19, 2017
Who are the 5 best players in each of these classes in your opinion?
1. Weiskamp: Smooth wing with a pure jumper that can do it all, great length as well for the shooting guard.
2. Green: Sick pull up game, great passer, always seems to be a step ahead of whoever is guarding him.
3. Mims: Pure point that is a winner. Great at running a club and scoring when he needs to.
4. Brinkmeyer: Very athletic 4 with great bounce. Runs the floor really well for his size...huge upside.
5. Sturtz: Combo guard with great range and instincts. Love his game.

1. McCaffery: Long and very athletic. Extremely skilled wing with great feel and is an improving shooter. Best ball is definitely ahead of him.
2. Locure: Jet quick PG who is nearly impossible to guard. Great at getting to the rim and is a solid shooter as well.
3. Coburn: Big that is very skilled and athletic. Already has and SDSU offer.
4. Krogman: Long and physical post that is very skilled as well. Needs to develop into a knockdown 3 point shooter for next level.
5. Hillmer: Phenomenal PG instincts and great vision. Is so fundamentally sound, plays like a coaches kid should.

Thoughts?

There is a kid at Waukee and Davenport North that I saw this weekend that have a great case to be in the Top 5. Any time a Kansas scout is in the building you know someone has potential. It was either #25 for Waukee(Nathan Johnson) or #24 for Davenport North(Lacey Watson). Overall polished skill set from inside and outside for Nathan Johnson. Freakish athleticism for Lacey Watson.

The Justin Sharp Shootout shed a lot of light on talent in Iowa. Since 3 of the Final 4 teams were Iowa side and 10 of the Top 11 teams were Iowa. In a 32 team tournament that included 15 Illinois teams.

Cedar Falls won the Title over Pleasant Valley behind an incredible effort from AJ Green throughout. CF beat Bettendorf by 36(Without DJ Carton), Davenport Central by 8, West Delaware by 2, North Scott by 3, and Pleasant Valley by 13 to win the Title. Had the main player in Green and presumably the full team.

Pleasant Valley finished 2nd beating Rock Falls by 10, United Township by 28, Bettendorf by 10, Rock Island by 4, and losing to CF by 13 in the Title. Had the full team.

IC West and Moline were 2 teams with all the main players missing due to baseball, camps, and injuries. IC West won the first 2 without anyone notable and competed with Rock Island, beat Bettendorf, and lost to Waukee finishing 6th. Moline won its first and then got West Delaware and Davenport Central knocking them to the losers bracket quickly.

Waukee had tough games throughout. They got an easy one with IC High White who was 1-4 or 0-5 I believe. Then won a tough game against Davenport North 68-66 after trailing most of the game by 2-8 points. Followed that with North Scott in a hard fought loss. West Delaware in a tough win and finishing with a 5th place finish over IC West without 2 top players. They played without a 6'7 post.

North Scott brought home 4th place behind the efforts of Corvon Seales. They won by over Orion. Slipped past Stevenson and Waukee by 10. Lost a heart breaker to Cedar Falls. Lost another heart breaker to Rock Island. Had the full team or at least the main players.

Davenport North finished 4-1 in "9th place". After winning by 15 over a Taylorville(Finished 4-1 in the tournament) team that hadn't lost a summer game in 2 years and any game by more than 5 in that span. They got Waukee(Also 4-1) in a game that officiating took over calling 16 second half fouls on North and 5 on Waukee. North owned a 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. A turnover leading to a bucket, a questionable no call, and a charge led to a 6-0 Waukee run to finish. Losing 68-66. They finished the tournament in dominating fashion. Saturday beating Stevenson(3-2 with losses to North and North Scott) by 9. Then Davenport Central 69-49. Finishing with a Dunk Fest(6 dunks, 2 alley oops, and a off the backboard to himself dunk for Lacey Watson that rattled out) against CR Jefferson with an 85-57 win with the game being called with 2 minutes left due to score differential. The entire second half was 17+ lead and quickly back over 20 when starters were put in to build it up again. North played without its 6'11 Center.

The best Iowa players at the tournament in order:
AJ Green
Lacey Watson
Derek Krogmann
Nathan Johnson
Corvon Seales
DJ Carton
Brian Dayman
Carter Stevens

Reactions: Pinehawk
Excellent summary on the Sharp Shootout...always one of the best tournaments of the summer with great talent. Sound like last week was no different. Lacey Watson is a prospect I haven't heard a lot about yet. He sounds very intriguing. Are any of the in state D1s looking at him? How tall is he and what position does he play?

QUOTE="maxstabs13, post: 153951, member: 3058"]There is a kid at Waukee and Davenport North that I saw this weekend that have a great case to be in the Top 5. Any time a Kansas scout is in the building you know someone has potential. It was either #25 for Waukee(Nathan Johnson) or #24 for Davenport North(Lacey Watson). Overall polished skill set from inside and outside for Nathan Johnson. Freakish athleticism for Lacey Watson.

The Justin Sharp Shootout shed a lot of light on talent in Iowa. Since 3 of the Final 4 teams were Iowa side and 10 of the Top 11 teams were Iowa. In a 32 team tournament that included 15 Illinois teams.

Cedar Falls won the Title over Pleasant Valley behind an incredible effort from AJ Green throughout. CF beat Bettendorf by 36(Without DJ Carton), Davenport Central by 8, West Delaware by 2, North Scott by 3, and Pleasant Valley by 13 to win the Title. Had the main player in Green and presumably the full team.

Pleasant Valley finished 2nd beating Rock Falls by 10, United Township by 28, Bettendorf by 10, Rock Island by 4, and losing to CF by 13 in the Title. Had the full team.

IC West and Moline were 2 teams with all the main players missing due to baseball, camps, and injuries. IC West won the first 2 without anyone notable and competed with Rock Island, beat Bettendorf, and lost to Waukee finishing 6th. Moline won its first and then got West Delaware and Davenport Central knocking them to the losers bracket quickly.

Waukee had tough games throughout. They got an easy one with IC High White who was 1-4 or 0-5 I believe. Then won a tough game against Davenport North 68-66 after trailing most of the game by 2-8 points. Followed that with North Scott in a hard fought loss. West Delaware in a tough win and finishing with a 5th place finish over IC West without 2 top players. They played without a 6'7 post.

North Scott brought home 4th place behind the efforts of Corvon Seales. They won by over Orion. Slipped past Stevenson and Waukee by 10. Lost a heart breaker to Cedar Falls. Lost another heart breaker to Rock Island. Had the full team or at least the main players.

Davenport North finished 4-1 in "9th place". After winning by 15 over a Taylorville(Finished 4-1 in the tournament) team that hadn't lost a summer game in 2 years and any game by more than 5 in that span. They got Waukee(Also 4-1) in a game that officiating took over calling 16 second half fouls on North and 5 on Waukee. North owned a 4 point lead with 2 minutes left. A turnover leading to a bucket, a questionable no call, and a charge led to a 6-0 Waukee run to finish. Losing 68-66. They finished the tournament in dominating fashion. Saturday beating Stevenson(3-2 with losses to North and North Scott) by 9. Then Davenport Central 69-49. Finishing with a Dunk Fest(6 dunks, 2 alley oops, and a off the backboard to himself dunk for Lacey Watson that rattled out) against CR Jefferson with an 85-57 win with the game being called with 2 minutes left due to score differential. The entire second half was 17+ lead and quickly back over 20 when starters were put in to build it up again. North played without its 6'11 Center.

The best Iowa players at the tournament in order:
AJ Green
Lacey Watson
Derek Krogmann
Nathan Johnson
Corvon Seales
DJ Carton
Brian Dayman
Carter Stevens[/QUOTE]

That "Kansas scout" you're referring to was a parent of one of the players wearing Kansas gear because they're a fan. It's a quiet period, and coaches can't be at games or practices. Nathan Johnson is a low-major player, and Lacey Watson is maybe a mid-major talent if he stays out of trouble.

Watson was a Rock Island kid. Averaged about 20 per game as a sophomore. Got into some trouble junior year and was off Rock Island team as a result. Parents didn't agree with the decision based on the situation. Transferred in the spring to North and was not able or allowed to play last season. Then moved to Ohio to play prep school ball and decided to come back to Iowa. He is probably the best talent from the Quad Cities since Jerry Myles. Myles had a ton of trouble and transferred to 3 different schools and eventually didn't get to play college ball and has been in jail at least once in the past year. Watson doesn't have the attitude issues Myles had. His is more of a wrong crowd issue. If he can focus on basketball and school he is a solid kid and an exceptional talent. Given that he moved to Ohio and came back I don't know how his eligibility will work. He is a 6'5 1-4 position player. His shot is really high arc and a slow release so it looks weird but it goes in. Athletically is nearly impossible to match up with. Last month with an AAU team in Ohio he scored 50 in a game and 44 in the second half. At the Justin Sharp Shootout he probably averaged 20-25 on a team that has a few solid scoring options other than him. He is the type of player that is a difference between a Substate Final and a Semifinal. We will see if he can stay grounded and focused.

The Kansas shirt guy was recording, so that had me wondering. Other than that I only saw someone with a Coe College polo. May or may not have been a parent as well. Definitely could have been since Cedar Rapids had multiple schools there.

Reactions: Bulldog198240
That "Kansas scout" you're referring to was a parent of one of the players wearing Kansas gear because they're a fan. It's a quiet period, and coaches can't be at games or practices. Nathan Johnson is a low-major player, and Lacey Watson is maybe a mid-major talent if he stays out of trouble.

Mid Major as in Wes Washpun type otherwise he definitely plays the part of a high major. Especially if he plays how he did against Cedar Rapids Jefferson. He had 5 dunks(2 alley oops) by himself and missed an oop off the backboard to himself because it rattled out.

1. Wieskamp
2. Green
3. Brinkmeyer
4. Mims
5. Ingoli

2019- This class is loaded
1. McCaffery
2. Carton
3. Locure
4. Coburn
5. Krogman

1. Wieskamp
2. Green
3. Brinkmeyer
4. Mims
5. Ingoli

2019- This class is loaded
1. McCaffery
2. Carton
3. Locure
4. Coburn
5. Krogman

Not sold on Carton... He must have really showed out in Wisconsin. To me he's the 3rd or 4th best guard in the MAC alone. I would take Clay, Seales, and Taylor over him. Fitzpatrick and Tyson would be hard to pass on also. I look at Max Taylor and Corvon Seales they have better stats across the board, except Seales 59% FT. More points, higher %'s, more assists and they don't even play PG. I look at Clay and his %'s are lower, but he does everything for West. Without him they would be lucky to win. He creates all the offense because of his speed, so he takes a ton of tough shots and dishes out 5x the assists still.

Not sold on Carton... He must have really showed out in Wisconsin. To me he's the 3rd or 4th best guard in the MAC alone. I would take Clay, Seales, and Taylor over him. Fitzpatrick and Tyson would be hard to pass on also. I look at Max Taylor and Corvon Seales they have better stats across the board, except Seales 59% FT. More points, higher %'s, more assists and they don't even play PG. I look at Clay and his %'s are lower, but he does everything for West. Without him they would be lucky to win. He creates all the offense because of his speed, so he takes a ton of tough shots and dishes out 5x the assists still.
Carton is the real deal and is improving rapidly...Wisconsin doesn't just offer anyone and neither does Marquette. He projects as a top flight PG at the next level and has a lot of upside with his skill set and athleticism. Plus, surround him with some studs and look out! No knock on the other guards you mention, but do any of them have a single Power 5 offer?

Carton is the real deal and is improving rapidly...Wisconsin doesn't just offer anyone and neither does Marquette. He projects as a top flight PG at the next level and has a lot of upside with his skill set and athleticism. Plus, surround him with some studs and look out! No knock on the other guards you mention, but do any of them have a single Power 5 offer?

Nope none of them have power 5 offers... Brennan Cougill and Brady Ernst got power 5 offers and how did that pan out?

I'm not the only one who isn't a believer all the coaches that I've talked to were just as surprised he got offered. As were a few quad cities Twitter sports reporters. If he develops a consistent jumper I would have a little more confidence but as of now if you make him shoot beyond 16 feet he isn't consistent. Helps to be at Bettendorf following Nicholas Baer rising. If he was still at Geneseo where he is from he wouldn't be getting attention. Will Carius is the only power 5 talent I've seen with the grades to back it.

I'm not close to the situation but it has been said he isn't the best in the books. Wisconsin has academic standards as well, so he will need to have that straight also.

It's all based on potential and now every coach thinks they have to be the 1st to offer if a kid looks like he may pan out...and don't assume that the offer is even still there...they offer and pull these offers off the table all the time...there are at least 5 kids in 2018 class who had D1 offers after their sophomore years and now they have 0....I have never seen this kid play and hopefully if works out for him...but I too have heard from a lot of coaches that they don't see it...

Reactions: maxstabs13
Nope none of them have power 5 offers... Brennan Cougill and Brady Ernst got power 5 offers and how did that pan out?

I'm not the only one who isn't a believer all the coaches that I've talked to were just as surprised he got offered. As were a few quad cities Twitter sports reporters. If he develops a consistent jumper I would have a little more confidence but as of now if you make him shoot beyond 16 feet he isn't consistent. Helps to be at Bettendorf following Nicholas Baer rising. If he was still at Geneseo where he is from he wouldn't be getting attention. Will Carius is the only power 5 talent I've seen with the grades to back it.

I'm not close to the situation but it has been said he isn't the best in the books. Wisconsin has academic standards as well, so he will need to have that straight also.
I see your point, but Cougill and Ernst were big guys and big guys often don't pan out because they are offered based just on size. Carton is a guard with plus athleticism, a good handle, and an improving jumper. Power 5 offers normally don't come for point guards early unless they already have the game and the type of athleticism Carton possesses. Wisconsin isn't a program that needs to panic and make early offers as well...outside of Michigan State, no other program has probably been more consistent in the Big Ten than them over the last decade. A Wisconsin offer in my mind means substantially more than a lot of the others...they went to back to back Final Fours just a few years ago. This isn't North Dakota we are talking about:)

Not sure if this works or not, but sounds like Carton is having a good start to July. Expected to get a few more offers soon.

Also heard Mims from Cedar rapids xavier is heading to South Dakota State. Looks like a good fit for him.

July seems to be the big recruiting month, will be interested to see what happens with some other big names

A really quiet kid who hasn't realized his ability to take over a game that should move in that 2019 Top 5 is Dylan Peeters at Assumption. He continues to get taller and is adding muscle to his frame. He is a mismatch for pretty much anyone and his style is similar to Jared Uthoff. At 6'7 he is a quick wing and an improving shot blocker. His young brother Sean is very good as well. They were both private school kids who played in North Scott's feeder teams and decided on Assumption over North Scott. I think family tradition had something to do with it since Billy Daniel is a cousin and former 2 Time All Stater from Assumption.

A really quiet kid who hasn't realized his ability to take over a game that should move in that 2019 Top 5 is Dylan Peeters at Assumption. He continues to get taller and is adding muscle to his frame. He is a mismatch for pretty much anyone and his style is similar to Jared Uthoff. At 6'7 he is a quick wing and an improving shot blocker. His young brother Sean is very good as well. They were both private school kids who played in North Scott's feeder teams and decided on Assumption over North Scott. I think family tradition had something to do with it since Billy Daniel is a cousin and former 2 Time All Stater from Assumption.
Peters is good and I agree could develop into a legit D1 prospect...has the skill set, how is his motor? Does he compete like Daniel did? Corvon Seales has been tearing it up on the circuit this month...he is a really good defender and a talented scorer from the 2 guard spot. Should be a great year for the MAC this upcoming season!

Really impressive group of coaches watching DJ Carton. His shooting % doesn't seem to bother those coaches. I'm sure most people on this site know more than those guys though.

Really impressive group of coaches watching DJ Carton. His shooting % doesn't seem to bother those coaches. I'm sure most people on this site know more than those guys though.
Lol. He has done ok this month for being the 4th best guard in The MAC. Add a Nebraska offer to the list and more should follow...

Add Nebraska to the list. This kid might end up having some blue blood offers...could see a KU or UNC enter the picture at some point. It is safe to say he is the best talent in The MAC

Reactions: Hawki45
Lol. He has done ok this month for being the 4th best guard in The MAC. Add a Nebraska offer to the list and more should follow...

Add Nebraska to the list. This kid might end up having some blue blood offers...could see a KU or UNC enter the picture at some point. It is safe to say he is the best talent in The MAC

Better than Weiskamp??

Better than Weiskamp??
I forgot about Weiskamp, he isn't better right now but might have more upside than Joe at the next level. Joe is a prototypical 2 guard who is a phenomenal player/scorer. I will say that DJ's ability to create for others as a PG allows him to have a greater impact on how much better he can make others on his team. Has Weiskamp been to state yet? I know that isn't fair entirely, but he will need to prove his scoring big translates into wins at the HS level. I argue Green should get strong consideration for Mr. Basketball because he puts up not only great stats but wins more in a better conference...he led CF to state his sophomore year and will likely get them there again this year. Thoughts?

I forgot about Weiskamp, he isn't better right now but might have more upside than Joe at the next level. Joe is a prototypical 2 guard who is a phenomenal player/scorer. I will say that DJ's ability to create for others as a PG allows him to have a greater impact on how much better he can make others on his team. Has Weiskamp been to state yet? I know that isn't fair entirely, but he will need to prove his scoring big translates into wins at the HS level. I argue Green should get strong consideration for Mr. Basketball because he puts up not only great stats but wins more in a better conference...he led CF to state his sophomore year and will likely get them there again this year. Thoughts?
Carton with an Iowa offer now...this has escalated quickly. Where does he end up?

It would be nice to see a list of all Iowa kids with D1 offers...anybody have an idea on that?

It would be nice to see a list of all Iowa kids with D1 offers...anybody have an idea on that?

These are the ones that I know of....others?

AJ Green
Joe Weiskamp...Iowa
Matt Mims...South Dakota State
Corvon Seales
Elijah Hazekamp
Sam Ingoli
Cam Vanderzwaag
Blake Brinkmeyer

James Betz...UNI commit
Tyreke Locure
Owen Coburn...South Dakota State
Patrick McCaffrey
Trey Hutchenson
DJ Carton
Trayvon Williams

Xavier Foster

These are the ones that I know of....others?

AJ Green
Joe Weiskamp...Iowa
Matt Mims...South Dakota State
Corvon Seales
Elijah Hazekamp
Sam Ingoli
Cam Vanderzwaag
Blake Brinkmeyer

James Betz...UNI commit
Tyreke Locure
Owen Coburn...South Dakota State
Patrick McCaffrey
Trey Hutchenson
DJ Carton
Trayvon Williams

Xavier Foster

I don't know that any D1 offers will come his way, but Bettendorf having lost all of its main guys from last season and United Township(East Moline) having lost all of its stars except 1. Bettendorf convinced Devynn Wakefield to come to Bettendorf, so now they have Devynn Wakefield(East Moline). He visited Nebraska and meant with Time Miles.

I don't know that any D1 offers will come his way, but Bettendorf having lost all of its main guys from last season and United Township(East Moline) having lost all of its stars except 1. Bettendorf convinced Devynn Wakefield to come to Bettendorf, so now they have Devynn Wakefield(East Moline). He visited Nebraska and meant with Time Miles.
Carton and Wakefield...look out, Bettendorf will surround those two with tough well coached athletes and be very formidable in The MAC now. How is PV going to be this year? I know North Scott and Assumption will be tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT