ADVERTISEMENT

State

May 8, 2013
What was most impressive this weekend? How about the 4:09 1600 time? Or maybe the weather? Or 13,000 fans a day?

I would suggest the collection of athletes from 2A WBND. Probably would have won an all classes meet.

I would suggest the collection of athletes from 2A WBND. Probably would have won an all classes meet.
. That might be a little over optimistic. I would say that in general, Iowa track and field athletes continue to impress. and the depth of great performances in all classes gets better and better. There is a reason many states are envious of the way Iowa runs its championship meet!

I sorted it all out. In all classes merged, West Burlington-Notre Dame would have had 69 points. Since only Waukee had more than that in the 4 class format, they are the only other team I needed to calculate to verify WBND won the merged meet. Waukee would have had 46 points.

While doing the merging, I noticed a few other top point getters, so I wanted to see their points as well.
1. WBND 69
2. Waukee 46
3. Dowling 42
4. Cedar Falls 37
5. Linn-Mar 35
6. Ames 28.5
7. CR Prairie 23
8. Gilbert 23 on the back of Pollard
9. Knoxville 22 points with top thrower getting 20 of them
10. Algona 17

If you think I missed someone, let me know and I check and then revise the list.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
. That might be a little over optimistic. I would say that in general, Iowa track and field athletes continue to impress. and the depth of great performances in all classes gets better and better. There is a reason many states are envious of the way Iowa runs its championship meet!

As a former track coach in Illinois, I came to the state meet to watch my nephew run and I did not like the way the meet was ran. The athletes in Iowa have to compete for three days compared to two in Illinois. No time in the season does any athlete in track have to compete at their highest level for three straight days (that is if they run multiple events). Because of this, you do not always get the best race on the final day. Also, in Illinois they recognize the kids (individually) after each event. They have a podium in the middle of the field that the athletes go to right after the event and are announced between races. It is a great moment for athletes, fans, and their families that the state of Iowa fails to recognize. Finally, I thought the announcer was great. He has a great passion for track and knows his sport. He would make it more of a moment if he announce "name is the state champion" in the event. It is a moment that the athletes, coaches, fans and families want to hear. I agree with you that the performances were great but I think some things need to accompany the performances.

I sorted it all out. In all classes merged, West Burlington-Notre Dame would have had 69 points. Since only Waukee had more than that in the 4 class format, they are the only other team I needed to calculate to verify WBND won the merged meet. Waukee would have had 46 points.

While doing the merging, I noticed a few other top point getters, so I wanted to see their points as well.
1. WBND 69
2. Waukee 46
3. Dowling 42
4. Cedar Falls 37
5. Linn-Mar 35
6. Ames 28.5
7. CR Prairie 23
8. Gilbert 23 on the back of Pollard
9. Knoxville 22 points with top thrower getting 20 of them
10. Algona 17

If you think I missed someone, let me know and I check and then revise the list.
Thanks for doing all that work. I never thought of scoring it out with all classes combined. Definitely a little surprise. I imagine they would of won any class if they placed them in 4A, 3A, or 1A. I think they would of scored close to 100 in 4A.

As a former track coach in Illinois, I came to the state meet to watch my nephew run and I did not like the way the meet was ran. The athletes in Iowa have to compete for three days compared to two in Illinois. No time in the season does any athlete in track have to compete at their highest level for three straight days (that is if they run multiple events). Because of this, you do not always get the best race on the final day. Also, in Illinois they recognize the kids (individually) after each event. They have a podium in the middle of the field that the athletes go to right after the event and are announced between races. It is a great moment for athletes, fans, and their families that the state of Iowa fails to recognize. Finally, I thought the announcer was great. He has a great passion for track and knows his sport. He would make it more of a moment if he announce "name is the state champion" in the event. It is a moment that the athletes, coaches, fans and families want to hear. I agree with you that the performances were great but I think some things need to accompany the performances.
Iowa State meet is great. The 3 days is tough. I think if they had lights they could get done in 2 days and maybe get rid of some of the pre-lims. Other than that the co-ed all classes together at same place in my opinion makes it the best.

Iowa State meet is great. The 3 days is tough. I think if they had lights they could get done in 2 days and maybe get rid of some of the pre-lims. Other than that the co-ed all classes together at same place in my opinion makes it the best.

A. They don't want it done in 2 days. They would lose out on 9,000 additional paying fans on the 3rd day.
B. They use lights for Drake Relays.

Thanks for doing all that work. I never thought of scoring it out with all classes combined. Definitely a little surprise. I imagine they would of won any class if they placed them in 4A, 3A, or 1A. I think they would of scored close to 100 in 4A.

Dumping just their results into the 4A meet only, they would get the following medalists.
HJ - 1st, 3rd-Tie (unknown on misses @ 6'8") - 15.5
LJ - 1st - 25.5
Discus - 7th - 27.5
100m - 1st, 7th - 39.5
200m - 1st, 4th - 54.5
400m - 5th-Tie (unknown thousandths) - 58
110H - 3rd - 64
400H - 1st - 74
4x1 - 2nd - 82
4x2 - 1st - 92 pts
Waukee had 83 pts, but they surely would have been dropped down in several events making it less close than it appears.

I think the 92 points would have been a 4A state record. I checked back to 2005 and Waukee's 83 this year was the biggest I found. It wasn't much time before that the scoring changed from 6 places to 8 places and 7pts for individual champs to 10 points, making previous years lower scoring, so it is unlikely older years had higher points.

Last edited:
Dumping just their results into the 4A meet only, they would get the following medalists.
HJ - 1st, 3rd-Tie (unknown on misses @ 6'8") - 15.5
LJ - 1st - 25.5
Discus - 7th - 27.5
100m - 5th - 31.5
200m - 1st, 4th - 46.5
400m - 5th-Tie (unknown thousandths) - 50
110H - 3rd - 56
400H - 1st - 66
4x1 - 2nd - 74
4x2 - 1st - 84 pts
Waukee had 83 pts, but they surely would have been dropped down in several events making it less close than it appears.

I think the 84 points would have been a 4A state record. I checked back to 2005 and Waukee's 83 this year was the biggest I found. It wasn't much time before that the scoring changed from 6 places to 8 places and 7pts for individual champs to 10 points, making previous years lower scoring, so it is unlikely older years had higher points.
Looks good but I think you left off:
1st in the 100 Trousil 10.9 you only counted their 2nd kid Williams

Ok I got a highlight

How about the determination of the young ladies who collapsed and kept going. I don't think people realize the body in that situation. They are as tough as any football player!!!
I also think back to all the bang bang races that where so close.
does anyone know off the top of their head what state records where broke on the girls side?
I was really impressed with the young ladies this weekend. I love the competiveness in those girls.
I think I saw a girl run like a 2:09 800m but don't remember what class or school

Looks good but I think you left off:
1st in the 100 Trousil 10.9 you only counted their 2nd kid Williams

Fixed it. It was in my spreadsheet, I just sorted that event wrong. I also don't take their prelim time, but rather their time in finals which is far more accurate considering prelims were held 6 hours apart.

Ok I got a highlight

How about the determination of the young ladies who collapsed and kept going. I don't think people realize the body in that situation. They are as tough as any football player!!!
I also think back to all the bang bang races that where so close.
does anyone know off the top of their head what state records where broke on the girls side?
I was really impressed with the young ladies this weekend. I love the competiveness in those girls.
I think I saw a girl run like a 2:09 800m but don't remember what class or school

On the girls side, Iowa All-time bests in the 4x200 by 2+ seconds and the Sprint Med for sure. Sprint Med was a 30 year old record anchored by future Olympian and current Drake head coach Natasha Kaiser.
The 2:10 800m was in class 3A. #2 all time in the 1500 and the state meet record by Jenks

A couple good observations Illinois Coach. The meet is pretty stretched out as it is and its always a point of contention to keep it moving along. Since going to the co-ed format about 11 years ago, they have avoided rain and weather delays which is amazing g in itself. With the weather we had Sunday, I can't imagine his much longer the meet could be drawn out if the stadium had to be cleared for lightning delays etc... The kids should be marched directly from the first ish line to an awards stand but did you happen to see the ridiculous display of dq's During many of the preliminary events? That could be a problem in the finals that would only take one occurrence to become a problem. The throws officials always do a great job of lining up and announcing finalists and recapping the final results after the competition. Not the same as in front of the whole stadium but it is in front of the people that care the most. If they went to 2/classes or separate genders that might work but I can tell you the Association and Union take. Lot of pride in having the large turnout at the gate which I'm sure goes into paying for use of the facilities and other expenses to have a top notch environment for the competition. I honestly think the current format is the primary reason the level of perfor.ances and depth of competition has improved a great deal over the last 10 years. Yes, there are still some things that could be tweaked but overall its a pretty impressive event.

A couple good observations Illinois Coach. The meet is pretty stretched out as it is and its always a point of contention to keep it moving along. Since going to the co-ed format about 11 years ago, they have avoided rain and weather delays which is amazing g in itself. With the weather we had Sunday, I can't imagine his much longer the meet could be drawn out if the stadium had to be cleared for lightning delays etc... The kids should be marched directly from the first ish line to an awards stand but did you happen to see the ridiculous display of dq's During many of the preliminary events? That could be a problem in the finals that would only take one occurrence to become a problem. The throws officials always do a great job of lining up and announcing finalists and recapping the final results after the competition. Not the same as in front of the whole stadium but it is in front of the people that care the most. If they went to 2/classes or separate genders that might work but I can tell you the Association and Union take. Lot of pride in having the large turnout at the gate which I'm sure goes into paying for use of the facilities and other expenses to have a top notch environment for the competition. I honestly think the current format is the primary reason the level of perfor.ances and depth of competition has improved a great deal over the last 10 years. Yes, there are still some things that could be tweaked but overall its a pretty impressive event.

I did not see a bunch of dqs in the prelims. I didn't get to see the throws but that is great the officials made the announcements there. I appreciate the responses from everyone. Some really good points were made. I think it is a great event and I do like the format but as everything it has to adapt.

In regards to the meet overall, the Class 4A 4x800 race with Ames breaking their own school's state record from the late 80's was pretty cool. I'd love to see the splits on that race.

In regards to the state meet. I like the 3 day event. With four classes and co-ed, it would be tough to squeeze in into a two day event.

In regards to the meet overall, the Class 4A 4x800 race with Ames breaking their own school's state record from the late 80's was pretty cool. I'd love to see the splits on that race.

In regards to the state meet. I like the 3 day event. With four classes and co-ed, it would be tough to squeeze in into a two day event.
Ya I might agree with Ames 4x800 as the single most impressive event.

I did not see a bunch of dqs in the prelims. I didn't get to see the throws but that is great the officials made the announcements there. I appreciate the responses from everyone. Some really good points were made. I think it is a great event and I do like the format but as everything it has to adapt.

4x100 - 1A & 4A girls had 11 DQs out of 48 teams. That included teams that posted times good enough to make finals (DSM Roosevelt and Iowa City High). Boys 1A & 4A added 6 more in the same prelims. The DQs were called for running on the lane line and/or getting the baton BEFORE the exchange zone.

In the morning session, only 2 DQs were called out of 96 squads.

4x100 - 1A & 4A girls had 11 DQs out of 48 teams. That included teams that posted times good enough to make finals (DSM Roosevelt and Iowa City High). Boys 1A & 4A added 6 more in the same prelims. The DQs were called for running on the lane line and/or getting the baton BEFORE the exchange zone.

In the morning session, only 2 DQs were called out of 96 squads.
How can that be possible? That many DQs Why the difference with the morning and afternoon?

I'm not contending that they (DQ's) weren't legit. I saw several right in front of me that should have been called and were. All I'm saying is that there would need to be a pause/delay between final results and identifying DQ's before presenting awards which would cause a pile up of athletes that need to get into cool-downs, ready for next events etc... especially at the end of the meet. Watch the state swim meets or wrestling meet to get an idea of how smooth things can run if everyone is patient but the track meet is fast and furious to get events done as efficiently as possible. Swimming, one class. Wrestling, 3 classes but the finals allow for time to present between weights which is cool. Cross Country has a good setup presenting awards by staggering them between/during other races, different dynamics there as well. The track meet would take a couple more hours just to make sure all awards were presented accurately for both genders and all 4 classes with longer delays between races but it could be done. I don't know anyone that wants a longer state track meet schedule. The track and field state championship meet is so much bigger than the other state competitions I don't know if it's possible to present awards to the athletes on the field as it's currently structured. It would be nice if they could figure out a way to do it though. Again, with just a couple classes or separate gender meets, it would be much easier but that's just not going to happen.

In regards to DQ's. How about in Class 2A 4X800 with KP-WC? Weren't they ready to win, but their anchor dropped the baton as he was crossing the finish line? Was he DQ's because he didn't go back to get it?

In regards to DQ's. How about in Class 2A 4X800 with KP-WC? Weren't they ready to win, but their anchor dropped the baton as he was crossing the finish line? Was he DQ's because he didn't go back to get it?

I saw the report on the news. TERRIBLE call. The meet official, Marty McHone of Gilbert, said they were not DQ'd since there was no malice intent, but rather they were recorded as a DNF. Apparently they would need to pick up the baton, return to the spot of the drop, and then finish the race.
Go to 1:40 - 1:50 in the video: http://www.kcrg.com/subject/sports/...o-winning-4x800-title-setting-record-20150521
It's actually hard to tell if the drop occurred before or after crossing the finish line.

If the 4x8 drop came after, then whey wasn't this 4x200 a DNF/DQ?
https://www.facebook.com/ankenyrpc/...1422567927897/858067494263397/?type=1&theater

Have to be West Burlington's Sophomore Isaiah Trousil for boys. 1st Place in 100m 200m 4x100 and 4x200. With the fastest times in 3 of the 4 events in all classes.

I think when thinking of most outstanding performer, one must also look at whether or not records were broken. A single mark in a specialty event, such as the boys 6'11" high jump or the girls discus would qualify.

But, I'd give the nod to Thomas Pollard or Ryan Schweizer on the boys side. Schweizer gets the pick due to his massive haul in points. But, both young men had dominating performances and both will very likely be All-Americans at some point. Trousil will not.

On the girls side, Stephanie Jenks for the same reasons. She's untouchable and even acknowledged by her opponents as the race being between the other 23 girls for 2nd. She is on the trajectory followed by Katie Flood and Shelby Houlihan that lead both of those women to NCAA titles.

Yes, they are all distance runners, but they are also running national elite performance marks. Heck, Steph Jenks blew away Yanek and Kleve who both finished in the top 25 of the national XC meet. That's how impressive she is. Pollard himself was a HS All-American and his 1600 is currently in the top 20 nationwide. Schweizer's 1:52 is the 7th fastest junior in the nation.

I'd like to see Jenks develop more speed before crowning her a national champion with the other two. Maybe in the steeple chase but not the 1500.

I'd like to see Jenks develop more speed before crowning her a national champion with the other two. Maybe in the steeple chase but not the 1500.

Actually, Jenks' 800m time is faster than Katie Flood ever ran in high school. Yet, I don't see Steph as an NCAA champion. Her room for future aerobic growth is so much smaller than Flood's + Houlihan's since she has been going strong with triathlon for nearly 10 years. She is already so much closer to her ceiling as an athlete than those other two. Lukas Verzbicas, the last sub-4 high school miler was a triathlete and he quit his college team frustrated with development.

I saw the report on the news. TERRIBLE call. The meet official, Marty McHone of Gilbert, said they were not DQ'd since there was no malice intent, but rather they were recorded as a DNF. Apparently they would need to pick up the baton, return to the spot of the drop, and then finish the race.
Go to 1:40 - 1:50 in the video: http://www.kcrg.com/subject/sports/...o-winning-4x800-title-setting-record-20150521
It's actually hard to tell if the drop occurred before or after crossing the finish line.

If the 4x8 drop came after, then whey wasn't this 4x200 a DNF/DQ?
https://www.facebook.com/ankenyrpc/...1422567927897/858067494263397/?type=1&theater

I was right above the finish line and agreed that it was difficult to tell whether the baton was dropped before or after the line. One would assume they went to the finish line camera for the determination. That would have been pretty clear, IMO. You don't get disqualified for dropping the baton AFTER the finish line unless it is determined you threw it intentionally (ie, anger, poor sportsmanship, showboating). The picture you showed of the kid losing the baton on the 4x2 when falling on the track would not be a DQ.

I was right above the finish line and agreed that it was difficult to tell whether the baton was dropped before or after the line. One would assume they went to the finish line camera for the determination. That would have been pretty clear, IMO. You don't get disqualified for dropping the baton AFTER the finish line unless it is determined you threw it intentionally (ie, anger, poor sportsmanship, showboating). The picture you showed of the kid losing the baton on the 4x2 when falling on the track would not be a DQ.

One should go to the $10 finish line photos station to review the evidence. I'm sure they made the official ruling, but it was not the right call. And, I think you missed the phrase "IF the 4x8 drop came after ..." when discussing the 4x2 picture.

I think when thinking of most outstanding performer, one must also look at whether or not records were broken. A single mark in a specialty event, such as the boys 6'11" high jump or the girls discus would qualify.

But, I'd give the nod to Thomas Pollard or Ryan Schweizer on the boys side. Schweizer gets the pick due to his massive haul in points. But, both young men had dominating performances and both will very likely be All-Americans at some point. Trousil will not.

On the girls side, Stephanie Jenks for the same reasons. She's untouchable and even acknowledged by her opponents as the race being between the other 23 girls for 2nd. She is on the trajectory followed by Katie Flood and Shelby Houlihan that lead both of those women to NCAA titles.

Yes, they are all distance runners, but they are also running national elite performance marks. Heck, Steph Jenks blew away Yanek and Kleve who both finished in the top 25 of the national XC meet. That's how impressive she is. Pollard himself was a HS All-American and his 1600 is currently in the top 20 nationwide. Schweizer's 1:52 is the 7th fastest junior in the nation.

Trousil broke the class 2A 200m record, that was 35yrs standing and 4X100m and 4x200m are also new state meet records.

Reactions: jhoff7
Trousil broke the class 2A 200m record, that was 35yrs standing and 4X100m and 4x200m are also new state meet records.
And if national rankings is the goal then giannentino is ranked in the top 10 nationally and will also go on to be an all-American, so he should be the top athlete.

I thought WB-ND as a whole was the most impressive thing at the state meet. How in the heck did they get this many gifted athletes all at the same time?? The high jumper is so danged impressive--really makes that tietjens guy from '81 that much more impressive. Did anyone ever see that guy jump? Could he do other events too??

Reactions: rcstewartjr
One should go to the $10 finish line photos station to review the evidence. I'm sure they made the official ruling, but it was not the right call. And, I think you missed the phrase "IF the 4x8 drop came after ..." when discussing the 4x2 picture.

How do you know it was not the right call? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just wondered if you had seen a photo of the finish. Folks around me were talking a lot about it when it happened and none of use could tell whether the drop came before or after the line. Unfortunate in any case for the young men involved.

How do you know it was not the right call? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just wondered if you had seen a photo of the finish. Folks around me were talking a lot about it when it happened and none of use could tell whether the drop came before or after the line. Unfortunate in any case for the young men involved.

The right call would have been to use personal judgment when dealing with teenagers. Officially, dropping before the finish line is a DNF, but an official using discretion "the right call" would have awarded them the win.

For example, presented with a similar scenario of a DQ vs officials discretion, the officials went ahead and let the Linn-Mar 4x100 relay back on the start line despite a false start. Linn-Mar went on to jump from 4th place to second place with the points their boys earned in that race.

Trousil's 200m in the prelims is the 19th fastest in state history. Without Trousil, they probably still win the 4x1 and 4x2.

Pollard's 1600m is the 2nd fastest in state history. Pollard's 3200 from state is #9 all-time. Though he already owns #1 all-time.

Giannettino's 6' 11" high jump is tied for 11th highest in state history. Though his 7'1" from Drake is tied for 5th. Giannettino has a bright future.

Schweizer's 800 at state is #15 in state history. Though his Drake time is #6. He also anchored the D-Med to the #3 fastest time in state history. He's also #16 in the 1600, #29 in the 3200. His wins contributed to 40 of Dowling's 52 points.

The right call would have been to use personal judgment when dealing with teenagers. Officially, dropping before the finish line is a DNF, but an official using discretion "the right call" would have awarded them the win.

For example, presented with a similar scenario of a DQ vs officials discretion, the officials went ahead and let the Linn-Mar 4x100 relay back on the start line despite a false start. Linn-Mar went on to jump from 4th place to second place with the points their boys earned in that race.
Linn-Mar was not a officials discretion. I was sitting right there and the kid false started due to many media photographers talking pictures at the sit mark. If it wasn't for a fan calling out the official to due the right thing Linn-Mar would've been DQ!

Linn-Mar was not a officials discretion. I was sitting right there and the kid false started due to many media photographers talking pictures at the sit mark. If it wasn't for a fan calling out the official to due the right thing Linn-Mar would've been DQ!

Exactly what I said. The officials decided to allow them to run after false starting. They did not have to listen to a fan voicing an informal protest. In that situation, they made the right call, but not the "by the book" call

The Kingsley deal is pretty clear cut. They obliviously looked at the finish lynx picture and he crossed the line without the baton. DNF There is no question whether he had the baton or not the video doesn't lie. I wish it would of never happened just like everyone else. Those 4 worked hard all year and won it fair and square and crushing a state record. Ya I guess they could of just closed their eyes and ignored it. That would of been pretty easy to do especially because it was so close. No one would of complained or cared or even noticed if it was ignored.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT