ADVERTISEMENT

State Tournament Officials

moondog24

Freshman
Oct 31, 2009
Having watched all three final games today as well as
many others throughout the week, I would say that the officials are
having a difficult time keeping up with the pace of many of the games.
They are out of position quite often and blow their whistles when their
is a little contact -- even if it has no bearing on the play. It seems
too often officials bail out an offensive player who initiates the
contact and throws up a wild shot -- it has to be frustrating for good
defensive players to be penalized in this manner.

Completely agree with you. Underneath the basket fouls were called by the official farest away not the one standing under the basket.

I didn't see the whole games for last night so don't want to speak towards them but the games I saw Monday-Friday the officiating was brutal. In the 2A championship game the WC girl took 2 steps and then came to a jump stop and THEN took another step and nothing called. Believe she got a layup out of it as well but not for sure. If I'm wrong I apalogize but would have to think that's a travel call even in the NBA. And this isn't an attack on WC at all so don't jump in and crucify me and think I'm saying you had help. WC was by far the best team in 2A and possibly the whole field and they dominated. They are good in every aspect of the game.

Easy on" by far the best team" LB battled back to five twice in the second half without their best player AND with 2 or 3 freshmen on the court at the same time. Not taking anything away from WC they are a very good team and they were the better team Friday night. But to say by far, apparently you didnt watch the game very well. Oh yeah wasn't it a freshmen who got wolterstorff (last years player of the year) her fourth foul in the third quarter.

Denver be careful how you word your statements.

By the way there must not be over the back fouls anymore. Every game I watched they called ticky tack shooting fouls and let them play extremely physical over the back fouls.

Originally posted by Husker Dogg:
Easy on" by far the best team" LB battled back to five twice in the second half without their best player AND with 2 or 3 freshmen on the court at the same time. Not taking anything away from WC they are a very good team and they were the better team Friday night. But to say by far, apparently you didnt watch the game very well. Oh yeah wasn't it a freshmen who got wolterstorff (last years player of the year) her fourth foul in the third quarter.

Denver be careful how you word your statements.

By the way there must not be over the back fouls anymore. Every game I watched they called ticky tack shooting fouls and let them play extremely physical over the back fouls.
Didn't mean to offend any LB people was just trying to keep wolfpack off my back.
wink.r191677.gif

i think generally speaking the boys officials are better. I would say that is definitely true during the season.

Usually it is the same crews. If you notice, a lot of the officials that did the Girls State Tournament are also doing the Boys state tournament.

Thats interesting someone would say they look better in the boys considering most of the officials at the boys tourney worked the girls tourney too. I was at most of the girls tourney and have watched a lot of the boys tourney online, I thought the officials this year were pretty good (not saying there weren't bad games or bad calls but overall they were pretty good).

The officials can be the same, however they don't officiate the same way in boys games. I believe officials let the boys play more. The same contact that they let go in a boys game would be called in a girls game. It brings so many more whistles and stops play.

Not sure about that. I watch basketball in a conference that does girl / boy doubleheaders where the refs to both games. Often times there are a lot less fouls called in the girls game that is just as physical as the boys. They let girls play just as much. Just my opinion though

I think there are officials that call girls and boys games differently on the same night in the same gym. Something that was a travel in the girls game is just an athletic move in the boys game. Something that is a pushing foul in the girls game is just good, physical defense in the boys game. A girl jumps straight up to pick a rebound off above an opponent and gets called for a foul, but a boy does the same thing 30 minutes later and he is a great leaper. Not sure why it happens, but it does. It's a bias on some unconscious level that will probably never go away. Another bias I've always wondered about here in Iowa is the girls always play first in the doubleheader thing. How has that been allowed to happen for so long? Again, on some level it is a message that the girls aren't as important or as good a draw or whatever as the boys.

I agree that some things are called differently but I don't see a big difference. I have coached girls and boys basketball and I would say most girls and girl's coaches like playing the early game in the DH. Not sure that is a big deal.

I never said I didn't like having the girls play first. I just think it's strange that in today's world of equality and political correctness that it's never even mentioned that maybe the boys should play first once in a while. I used to be in Wisconsin, where they don't play girl-boy doubleheaders, and the conference made a point of making sure there was an equal distribution between the girls and boys as to who got the Monday-Thursday slots and who got the Tuesday-Friday slots. Hey, at least they let their coaches stand up there.

I love that point. Don't understand why coaches can't stand up anymore. If there is a problem give them a T. Its so much easier to coach when standing.

And the players on the floor can't see the coach as well when he's seated on the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT