ADVERTISEMENT

State Champs

2A Either WDM Dowling or Ankeny
1A--why are you asking--you know the answer--
I heard next year Xavier is going to be 2A...

dowling, ankeny, and valley have the means to win it all but don't you think there are any east sides schools (MVC & MAC) that also have a good chance of winning state?

Bettendorf undefeated except for a tie to IC Regina and #1 in the state, will certainly have a good chance of winning it. They are the #1 seed too. I'm sure Frosty will tell that IC West has a good chance too and I could see them as well.

^ Disagree ^

I think both Ankeny and Bettendorf are capable of winning, but Valley and Dowling have too much talent to overlook them. I hope to see Bett/Dowling/Valley/Ankeny in the semis. The last 4 games of the 2A season should see the top 4 teams in them.

I dnt think valley and dowling have much of a chance.they rnt nearly as strong as past years and this is the best ankeny team ive seen in awhile

2A - i'd have to say that valley is just inconsistent. when they get on a streak, they play very well. dowling has one of the better stacked squads in the state. they just don't seem to play well at times. just because they have lost a few games doesnt mean you can count them out. remember, this is the returning 1st/2nd places teams that are being given no chance to win.

1A - I have seen via box scores, that in the last 2 games that Xavier has played, they have been scored on. I dont know much about Solon or Mt. Vernon, but i can assure you that Norwalk has some definate offensive threats. however i do remember last year [ personally :\ ] that Xavier's defense was stellar.

norwalk's only losses come from johnston 2-1, and perry 2-1. should be a close battle but dont count norwalk out. they have a couple kids that can play..if u know what i mean..

its funny being an outsider and listening to these boards and the way people talk up norwalk...when was their last state title?

You are correct that Xaiver has been scored on the last couple of games (e.g. Mt. Vernon and Solon) but I know that their defenese have been injured during these games. I believe Alex Wynne (solid defender) has been out and Jay Peterson (another defender) has been playing with injuries. If Xaiver gets Alex back, this will be good boost to their defense. Still counting on Xaiver to win it but it could be close.

66isualum-

Norwalk is not being talked up at all. it is only reality that they have been at the level to play for the championship. within the last 5 years, norwalk has had 5 consecutive LHC conference titles and with waukee and pella being in the LHC that is pretty good by my book. both waukee and pella have been in state and been very successful. not to mention the 4 state appearences [including this years] and 2 of the 3 previous years were 2nd place finishes losing to Cedar Rapids Xavier.

its not about talking up a team. its about whether or not there is a team in the state that can knock off probably the most successful high school soccer program. Norwalk/xavier has been a battle the last few years and this might be the year that it goes in favor of the warriors.

and to top it off, i think the only team in the tournament that can beat xavier is norwalk and thats been the truth the last 4 years.

realistically
2a- I think Bettendorf
1a- Xavier

Hopefully Norwalk, but until Xavier gets beat, I'll pick them every year.
This post was edited on 5/28 4:35 PM by nhswarriors06if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ya it seems like all you hear about is norwalk its startin to get old. just sayin
This post was edited on 5/28 5:21 PM by FriedChicken09if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

hey BETT people...do not get mad at me...if you guys win great...BUT....

Bettendorf only played MAC teams and the MAC teams were not good this year...so IDK why you are thinking that you are going to win State...
You know what???Cedar Falls and CR Kennedy made it to State...that says it all...you do not need to be special to get to state....

other than MAC...
they played Waukee...solid win, but in a tournament....
IC West was dominating the game when BETT got a pk...it seems like BETT always get a break...with referees....
IC City...Bett did not know how to play them.....city was playing three freshman and a sophmore in the back... and still BETT got out play many times and out coached the whole game...only the help of the referee made BETT win the game...

My prediction....BETT won't won...why???
well..
1)Bett is a 70%Football team 30%soccer team...as soon as the other teams can match up Bett's physical abilities....NO MORE BETT......you'll see...

2)The referees will not be from the quad city areas...(there are no worse refereees in Iowa than the quad city area refs..(well, wait...they are good for BETT)..

3)to get to the final....If they play IC West, they might have some chances...few...but some...
but if they play Dowling...I just do not think so...Dowling can keep the ball on the ground...beat players 1v1..they have a big and fast guy in the back....and good forwards...Bett defense won't be able to handle it...
if I am wrong I'll eat my words...but I know I won't...

4)if BETT does well and beat these teams...they would still need to play Ankeny or Valley...really...BETT ...not this year...or next year...

again...you guys are going to find out that all those calls that refs make for you at home...are not going to be there...and then you are going to see how much it sucks when a ref is againts you...

good luck to everyone

So you say that Bettendorf got outplayed against ICW and IC High and still won, that sounds good to me. You just downplayed all of their key wins because it was in a tournament(don't how that can be considered bad) and because of the refs. They went through their entire schedule without a loss, how many teams in 2A can say that? Umm...none other than Bettendorf and don't give me excuses about their schedule being too easy. People make the same argument in other sports about the MAC and the MAC team ends up doing pretty well, one example Bettendorf at state basketball, who took down two teams in the 'powerful' MVC. And don't talk about refs because it makes you look like a whiner. If you don't want refs making bad PKs, then don't allow players to get behind your defense or get into the box, it's as simple as that or better put don't give the ref a chance to make a call like that.

I'm not saying you're wrong that Bettendorf won't win, because there are a lot of talented teams, but making excuses about refs calls is ridiculous and is one of my biggest pet peeves is when people come straight from a soccer, football or basketball game and the first thing they do is come straight to this webstite and rant and rave about how the officating was terrible. You lost get over it, the better team won and you can't deal with it, so you have to find excuses.

Also, to your point about 70% football players and 30% soccer players, who cares about that. So they try a spring sport to keep their conditioning up. A lot of other schools' best athletes go on to run track, but at Bettendorf the majority of the best athletes that go out for a spring sport go out for soccer. Tavian Banks,Tim Jackson, Pat Angerer and now Sandeman. I'd say Colin Sandeman is a pretty darn good soccer player for a football player. He played as a sophomore on the state runner-up team that was loaded with talent, took a year off for college recruiting and now is scoring 1 or 2 goals a game. When you have the Gatorade Player of the Year in Charlie Schwartz he's going to make a lot of players better.

DogPound, don't give any credibility to Bald-A-Hole by responding, I think he is FrostyMitchell with a new screenname. Let's just let this weekend happen and see who prevails, and I believe it will be either Bett, Ankeny or Valley. It is kind of hard to gauge how good Bett is when they haven't played a ton of good teams even though they spanked ICW 3 - 0 and Waukee 5 - 0. Should be a great weekend of soccer, good luck to all...
This post was edited on 5/29 1:06 PM by HawkeyeDennyif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Originally posted by 4_1A_2_Nv:
66isualum-

Norwalk is not being talked up at all. it is only reality that they have been at the level to play for the championship. within the last 5 years, norwalk has had 5 consecutive LHC conference titles and with waukee and pella being in the LHC that is pretty good by my book. both waukee and pella have been in state and been very successful. not to mention the 4 state appearences [including this years] and 2 of the 3 previous years were 2nd place finishes losing to Cedar Rapids Xavier.

its not about talking up a team. its about whether or not there is a team in the state that can knock off probably the most successful high school soccer program. Norwalk/xavier has been a battle the last few years and this might be the year that it goes in favor of the warriors.

and to top it off, i think the only team in the tournament that can beat xavier is norwalk and thats been the truth the last 4 years.
I would let it go, but as an unbiased player and spectator, i feel this should be pointed out.

First of all, you saying "Norwalk is not being talked up at all" is stupid. Go back, review your own post in this and in every other thread you and all your other groupies post in, and find one of them that does not consist of the words "Norwalk" or "Warriors", and i will be ecstatic. From the way it looks on here, you ride your home team way to much and need to begin to realize that there are other schools out there that can compete also. Norwalk is not the only place on earth, but you probably haven't experienced that because you haven't graduated yet and are part of the team, or still are a good fan of norwalk soccer. Either way, realize that other schools are competing, and a little unbiased posts from you would bring norwalk a long way on these forums to actually being liked by other schools and visitors.

Second off, I will admit that 5 consecutive conference titles is a good ammount of titles, but take a look at the teams that you've had to play to attain those. Granted, Waukee is good, but they were not part of the conference this year so that only leaves pella (who is decent), for norwalk to beat. Now being a player/fan of norwalk soccer, i'm sure you know the rest of the scores of norwalks games and can realize my point of why should you brag about beating teams in the LHC?

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion of norwalk being a good team, but people hate norwalk because kids like YOU ride the name "Norwalk Warriors" too much, and need to learn to think before you post. The players have proved themselves to be "good", maybe you all should take part in being "mature".
This post was edited on 5/29 2:19 PM by soccergod14if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

When and where is the 2a final? What team does the Creighton Recruit play for? Just for another opinion, Dowling looks tough.

Originally posted by husker_4 life:
When and where is the 2a final? What team does the Creighton Recruit play for? Just for another opinion, Dowling looks tough.
The Creighton recruit (Tucker Sidlinger SP?) does not play high school soccer however goes to Cedar Rapids Jefferson i believe, correct me if i'm wrong. The 2a final is on saturday at 3 p.m. i believe to answer your question.
This post was edited on 5/29 6:38 PM by Warrior Saluteif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

i think that the favorite this year in 2a will most likely be Bett, Dowling, Ankeny and Valley. But with this said there is a chance that some teams get upset. I do not know if a team does but there are teams that may come into the state tournament over confident over there opponet who has nothing to lose. I think this year in soccer a team from the CIML will win. Just because the bigger fields play advantage to soccer players instead of football players and the CIML teams seem to have more soccer players on their teams compared to other schools. Just my opinion though.

Actualy Tucker is playing for the Menace PDL team now and is thus ineligible to play HS anyway

So Bett beats Waukee 5-0. Big deal. Hoover beat them 3-0 and I'm pretty sure they never got top ten recognition (though maybe deserving). That really is a highlighted when over a team making its 2a debut. Maybe if Bett stepped up and decided to mix it up and play in tournies to get more games (13 games heading in to state?) they would be more challenged, or in this case, respected. Other than the IC victory earlier in the season, Bett had no notable wins whatsoever.

Bett lost 4 games due to weather at the Wat West tourney, but that isn't a tough tourney. I agree they need to play more Central Iowa teams, even though ICW has been there arch-nemesis at state losing to them 2 of the last 3 years after playing them in the regular season.

Good. Hoover had a good season, especially considering the lack of respect they normally get. Didn't they also only lose like 4-5 games?

i think it was 4.2 to ankeny and 1 each to sep and dowling.3rd year in a row they played very well and were given little respect

I found out that hoover lost to Ankeny twice, one being in tournament play, as well as the losses to Dowling and SEP. That brings the record to somewhere close to 14-4 counting substate, right? Pretty close to the records of state competitive teams. Its kind of wierd to see some opinions towards teams change throughout the season. Kind of like Ankeny who I'm sure noone would have predicted to be in the 2a finals 5-6 games. Or ICW who was completely and utterly overlooked in the state tournament. The speculations will make an interesting season next year.

why is it that people think that Hoover is a ghetto school?

It's barely within the city limits of Des Moines. It is VERY close to the boundary line between Des Moines and Urbandale to the west as well as the northern boundary line between Des Moines and Johnston. The general attendance area of Hoover isn't really ghetto either. I think I heard somewhere the southern boundary was Hickman Road, the eastern boundary was 30th street, the northern boundary is the northern boundary of the Des Moines Schools and the western boundary is the western boundary of the Des Moines Schools.

That said what is it that makes everybody think that Hoover is ghetto?
This post was edited on 6/4 6:12 PM by DSManif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

most likely the amount of diversity i would say.theres a lot of minorities at hoover.that and that in the past there have been "gang wars" so to speak and people have a tendency to associate fights with ghetto people.but its in a nice neighborhood so people should get rid of that image.

and yes that record sounds pretty close to right
This post was edited on 6/4 9:58 PM by baseballballaif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

you ever been to a Hoover sporting event? I'm not going to say anything with racial discrimination. It is a very diverse school. Just a couple years ago, there was a huge fight among Hoover fans and Roosevelt fans at a basketball game, where students beat up a cop and broke the cops nose. I dont know what ethnicity of people those were, it doesnt matter. The school is quite..."ghetto" if you ask me.

nhswarriors06: if i recall correctly, the fight 2 years ago at hoover was between roosevelt fans and only them. yes it was at hoover but no it didnt involve the hoover fans in the actual brawl. maybe that goes to show how roosevelt is... lol.. just kidding.

Back on topic now...

Predictions-

2A:

Ankeny 2 [misel with a goal]
Iowa City West 0

1A:

Norwalk 3 [eric may scores 2 and cummings has the third]
Denison-Schleswig 0

ya, i remember that now. either way, Hoover has some problems when it comes to discipline. As does numerous other schools in Des Moines and Iowa, its to be expected though, high school students do stupid things.

Prediction
2a- Iowa City West, 2-1 over Ankeny. Just got a hunch they'll win.
1a- Norwalk 2-0 over Denison.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT