ADVERTISEMENT

Softball 2014

BND will be very tough again in 3A. Will have to replace pitching, but should have a ton of offense.

If Woodbury Central and Lawton-Bronson both end up ranked in the top 8 or 10 do you think there is a chance that the state will split them up? Since they are only five miles apart.

They didn't last year and we were ranked 16th and WC was ranked 5th.

This post was edited on 3/28 10:17 AM by Husker Dogg

Lot of good games already being played in this area. Both Fort Dodge and St. Edmond look to have solid teams again this year.

Fort Dodge, who will be in 4A this year, took a doubleheader from Ankeny Centennial and just beat top-ranked (3A) Sergeant Bluff-Luton and SC Heelan. 4A has some very good, traditionally strong squads, but with Fort Dodge moving down to 4A, they may be a contender as well.

St. Edmond, who is not ranked (yet), had a 6-2 lead on 4th ranked (1A) Newell-Fonda early before storms postponed the game to a later date. They also split tough contests with Woodbury Central and Lawton-Bronson yesterday. SE beat L-B 2-0, and had a 5-0 lead late before WC stormed back to win in extra innings. They also have a win over 13th ranked (3A) Iowa Falls-Alden.

I think all 3 of those teams could be contenders in 2A this season. We'll see if they end up in 7th ranked Des Moines Christian's region again. The two met in the regional final last year. DMC returns a number of their starters including their top pitcher.

I have a feeling once again we're gonna end up seeing a lot of very good matchups before the state tourney even rolls around.

Fort Dodge Public EASILY has to be the favorites in 4A, as they should be. They are the largest school in that class, have a ton of their lineup back, have tradition since Adams has been there, and they are steamrolling the competition so far.

Originally posted by Saints85:
Fort Dodge Public EASILY has to be the favorites in 4A, as they should be. They are the largest school in that class, have a ton of their lineup back, have tradition since Adams has been there, and they are steamrolling the competition so far.
I wouldn't say easily. Dallas Center-Grimes will likely have something to say about that, as they bring back nearly everyone from last year's championship squad. That's the matchup I expect to see in the 4A title game, though.

Anybody else surprise that the State put 5th rank CRX and 6th rank Davenport A in the same region?
Of course Solon doesn't have to play a rank team and they put 3 rank teams in region 5 and 7.

Softball is probably the one girls sport that doesn't try to split their regions up based on rankings so as to theoretically get the top 8 ranked teams ("8 best") to state.

Geography seems to still be the prevailing factor in the make up of their regions....although some will still probably argue that certain regions were more gift-wrapped than others.

Just saw that St. Edmond is gonna try to play 3 games in one day in an effort to make up conference games that were rained out before the season ends.

Of course these are all road games we're talking about, so they'll be going to 3 different towns in a single day to catch up on conference games.

They also have a 4th NCC game to make up and may do a double header sometime this week as well.

Originally posted by bigfridaynite:

Anybody else surprise that the State put 5th rank CRX and 6th rank Davenport A in the same region?
Of course Solon doesn't have to play a rank team and they put 3 rank teams in region 5 and 7.
Fort Dodge, Dallas Center Grimes and Solon are the only ranked teams in their Regions. The powers that be could have slipped Assumption or Xavier into Solon's region. Not sure of the "why" but would it have been any different if they had? No one else in the East Iowa area is ranked besides those 3 (4. Solon, 5. Xavier, 6. Assumption).

Originally posted by Vroom_C14:
Originally posted by bigfridaynite:

Fort Dodge, Dallas Center Grimes and Solon are the only ranked teams in their Regions. The powers that be could have slipped Assumption or Xavier into Solon's region. Not sure of the "why" but would it have been any different if they had? No one else in the East Iowa area is ranked besides those 3 (4. Solon, 5. Xavier, 6. Assumption).
Oh snap - North Scott is ranked now...that dropped Creston out of Region 7.

This post was edited on 7/9 3:23 PM by meandmyshadow

Originally posted by clone1215:

Any softball state qualifiers surprise anyone so far?
Marquette Catholic. I thought for sure that New London would get a rematch with Akron-Westfield in either the semis or finals in 1A.

Not really a surprise but there's not a single returning qualifier from last year's state tournament in Class 2A this year. AGWSR was the only one to return but they are now in 1A.

And not to complain because then I'd sound like all the NW Iowa boys basketball fans
tongue.r191677.gif
, but it's too bad either St. Edmond or Earlham had to end their season before the state tournament as those two really were top 5 teams in the class. But that's the way it works.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought Marquette wasn't a quality team. I just have that high an opinion of New London.

I have to think that one of the biggest surprises of the tournament is LeMars qualifying in Class 4A. If you remember back to last season, LeMars entered regionals with a 30-0 record and a #1 ranking in class 4A before being upset by an unranked Humboldt team. Well, the Lady Bulldogs turned the tide this last Tuesday, as they -- an unranked team -- took down the #2 team in the state in Fort Dodge at Fort Dodge to earn their first ever trip to the state tournament.

This came as such a huge surprise to the community as the team graduated most of their impressive team last season. They had many ups and downs this year, but they have come together when it matters.

Of course next up for LeMars is Paige Lowary and the defending champs #1 Dallas Center Grimes. Regardless of how this week turns out for the Bulldogs, the entire city of LeMars is ecstatic for these girls -- 5 of whom were on the volleyball team that qualified for state this past November for the first time since 1996.

Good luck to everyone this week!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT