ADVERTISEMENT

Snub's Week 8 2A Rankings and Postseason Outlook

Sep 13, 2019
Week 8 Rankings:
1. Southeast Valley (7-0) (LW:1)
2. OAGBIG (6-1) (LW:5)
3. Esterville Lincoln Central (4-3) (LW:2)
4. West Lyon (5-2) (LW:4)
5. Waukon (6-1) (LW:3)
6. CLGLR (4-3) (LW:6)
7. Spirit Lake (5-2) (LW:7)
8. West Marshall (6-1) (LW:8)
9. Williamsburg (4-3) (LW:9)
10. NFV (6-1) (LW:10)

Others Looking In: Greene County, Clear Lake, Mid Prairie, Iowa Falls Alden, Unity Christian

My FINAL District Standing Predictions:
D1: 1. West Lyon 2. CLGLR 3. Unity Christian 4. Sheldon
D2: 1. Southeast Valley 2. OABCIG 3. ELC 4. Spirit Lake
D3: 1. Clear Lake 2. Osage 3. New Hampton 4. GHV
D4: 1. Waukon 2. NFV 3. Wahlert 4. Union
D5: 1. Monticello 2. Camanche 3. Northeast 4. West Liberty
D6: 1. Williamsburg 2. Mid Prairie 3. Davis County 4. Centerville
D7: 1. West Marshall 2. Iowa Falls Alden 3. PCM 4. Roland Story
D8: 1. Greene County 2. Clarinda 3. Red Oak 4. Clarke

Is Mid-Prairie out of the playoffs since they forfeited a game earlier this season?

Week 8 Rankings:
1. Southeast Valley (7-0) (LW:1)
2. OAGBIG (6-1) (LW:5)
3. Esterville Lincoln Central (4-3) (LW:2)
4. West Lyon (5-2) (LW:4)
5. Waukon (6-1) (LW:3)
6. CLGLR (4-3) (LW:6)
7. Spirit Lake (5-2) (LW:7)
8. West Marshall (6-1) (LW:8)
9. Williamsburg (4-3) (LW:9)
10. NFV (6-1) (LW:10)

Others Looking In: Greene County, Clear Lake, Mid Prairie, Iowa Falls Alden, Unity Christian

My FINAL District Standing Predictions:
D1: 1. West Lyon 2. CLGLR 3. Unity Christian 4. Sheldon
D2: 1. Southeast Valley 2. OABCIG 3. ELC 4. Spirit Lake
D3: 1. Clear Lake 2. Osage 3. New Hampton 4. GHV
D4: 1. Waukon 2. NFV 3. Wahlert 4. Union
D5: 1. Monticello 2. Camanche 3. Northeast 4. West Liberty
D6: 1. Williamsburg 2. Mid Prairie 3. Davis County 4. Centerville
D7: 1. West Marshall 2. Iowa Falls Alden 3. PCM 4. Roland Story
D8: 1. Greene County 2. Clarinda 3. Red Oak 4. Clarke
I'd give Green County more love but can see how they would be very difficult to rank...especially among their 2A peers.

On one hand in ND play they lost to a good unbeaten 1A (who has played a weak 1A schedule but must face Van Meter this week), win a fairly close game against a mediocre 1A, and finally blew out 4A Perry who could be the weakest team athletic program in the state....all classes.

Among their 2A peers they have dominated their soft schedule. Even this week they face Clarke. A team with a good record against a soft schedule and like Perry has a past as a poor athletic program.

How do you rank that?

Said it before but with SEV and GC being neighboring districts it would be nice to see GC dump Perry and play SEV.

You are what you eat and GC has eaten a lot of junk food this season. We will soon see how well this diet works late in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllStateSnub8
I'd give Green County more love but can see how they would be very difficult to rank...especially among their 2A peers.

On one hand in ND play they lost to a good unbeaten 1A (who has played a weak 1A schedule but must face Van Meter this week), win a fairly close game against a mediocre 1A, and finally blew out 4A Perry who could be the weakest team athletic program in the state....all classes.

Among their 2A peers they have dominated their soft schedule. Even this week they face Clarke. A team with a good record against a soft schedule and like Perry has a past as a poor athletic program.

How do you rank that?

Said it before but with SEV and GC being neighboring districts it would be nice to see GC dump Perry and play SEV.

You are what you eat and GC has eaten a lot of junk food this season. We will soon see how well this diet works late in the playoffs.
Again I don't get too wound up about rankings since it will all sort itself out....but I've watched most of GC's games this year and can tell you they are very good. Lot's of speed and weapons!!

They played a strong ACGC team in week 1, a team that runs the wishbone and is very experienced and they took them to OT. GC had some injuries and odd things happen in that game but they've improved a lot since then too!! Then 2 hours before their Carroll Kuemper game they had a player get life flighted from a car accident. It would be difficult for any team to play a game after that but they still won.

From what I've heard, I don't think they really like having to play Perry but since it's such an old rivalry they are almost forced to. It might be time to take a break from that rivalry for a while if they can, until Perry can field a somewhat competitive team again?? Playoffs start soon....I'm excited to see how things unfold!!

Again I don't get too wound up about rankings since it will all sort itself out....but I've watched most of GC's games this year and can tell you they are very good. Lot's of speed and weapons!!

They played a strong ACGC team in week 1, a team that runs the wishbone and is very experienced and they took them to OT. GC had some injuries and odd things happen in that game but they've improved a lot since then too!! Then 2 hours before their Carroll Kuemper game they had a player get life flighted from a car accident. It would be difficult for any team to play a game after that but they still won.

From what I've heard, I don't think they really like having to play Perry but since it's such an old rivalry they are almost forced to. It might be time to take a break from that rivalry for a while if they can, until Perry can field a somewhat competitive team again?? Playoffs start soon....I'm excited to see how things unfold!!
You seem to be familiar with the program so there are a few questions I wonder that perhaps you can help with. So far in district play GC has only allow 6 points and has continual clocked everyone. How much subbing in (and I'm not talking about a few players but entire offenses and defenses) has GC done? Even if the competition is so weak relative to GC, I'm surprised the coaches aren't at the last resort playing people out of position (safely) in order to create opportunities to extend playtime and allow more minutes for the starters and for development of the underclass non starters. Honestly have not seen a single game but on paper it gives the appearance of either A. Trying to run scoring margins up at the expense of playtime. or B. The district competition is extremely weak if the coaches cannot even intentionally extend play time.

There are times when it is a good thing to end a game early either by continual clock or by intentional running an offense designed to chew clock as opposed to score more points. I really question though for a program the value of actively seeking shortened play when every game is shortened. That can haunt teams in the playoff when the competition suddenly requires a full and hard played game.

If you happen to know I'd also be interest in the non varsity records of the GC program. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
The way I’ve seen Regina handle it, is that when they hit the running clock, or 35 point differential, is when they begin to sub in all the reserves.
It’s why you see a lot of 42-7 or 42-14 final scores. It’s great for both teams. Regina develops their underclassmen against varsity competition, and the other team gets to experience some success late in the game, and leave with some optimism and their head held high.
I think it is a much better approach that chasing stats and pounding a team 60-0. Which many teams and coaches choose to do. Probably costs them some ranking votes, and the computer punishes them for that approach. But, I think opposing coaches respect it.

The way I’ve seen Regina handle it, is that when they hit the running clock, or 35 point differential, is when they begin to sub in all the reserves.
It’s why you see a lot of 42-7 or 42-14 final scores. It’s great for both teams. Regina develops their underclassmen against varsity competition, and the other team gets to experience some success late in the game, and leave with some optimism and their head held high.
I think it is a much better approach that chasing stats and pounding a team 60-0. Which many teams and coaches choose to do. Probably costs them some ranking votes, and the computer punishes them for that approach. But, I think opposing coaches respect it.
Good coaching says screw the computer and does what is best for the team/program.

Real football is played on a field...not a computer.

This nailed it. I have watched all Waukon's football games over the last 6 or 7 years and they get continuous clock by the 3rd quarter a lot during the regular season. They pull their starters and the non starters play most of the second half in 6 or 7 games most years against the other team's starters. They usually give up a couple scores, but get valuable experience as they are probably going to be the starters next year. It also keeps your team healthy for the playoffs. It is really a win for everyone other than stat chasers. It is without a doubt how they seem to reload year after year. Conditioning come playoff time doesn't ever seem to be an issue either.

This nailed it. I have watched all Waukon's football games over the last 6 or 7 years and they get continuous clock by the 3rd quarter a lot during the regular season. They pull their starters and the non starters play most of the second half in 6 or 7 games most years against the other team's starters. They usually give up a couple scores, but get valuable experience as they are probably going to be the starters next year. It also keeps your team healthy for the playoffs. It is really a win for everyone other than stat chasers. It is without a doubt how they seem to reload year after year. Conditioning come playoff time doesn't ever seem to be an issue either.
The conditioning comes into play with the teams that more heavily 2 way......and it is amazing that with more minutes under their belt to develop how you can rotate more kids in and not play just 13-14 kids the whole game.

Been a few weeks since I've posted. I don't know why it has to be such a secret how playoffs will be paired up every year. Although I've kind of given up on trying to figure out how the state does things. Even the way they set up Districts this year has me scratching my head. Like how the heck did SEV end up in District 2. Would have been nice competitive wise to seem them in District 8 with Greene County. Travel wise would have made more sense as well. Reminds me of my days in high school CLGLR was in the same District as Missouri Valley. I'm sure those guys loved coming to Lyon and Sioux County every other week back then. Hopefully we find out late Friday night or Saturday morning how this is going to play out.

Reactions: MsideChief
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT