ADVERTISEMENT

Snub's Week 6 2A Rankings

Sep 13, 2019
Week 6 Rankings
1. (LW:2) Southeast Valley (5-0)
2. (LW:1) Esterville Lincoln Central (3-2)
3. (LW:3)Waukon (4-1)
4. (LW:5) West Lyon (2-3)
5. (LW:7) OAGBIG (4-1)
6. (LW:6) CLGLR (2-3)
7. (LW:5) Spirit Lake (4-1)
8. (LW:8)West Marshall (4-1)
9. (LW:9) Williamsburg (2-3)
10. (LW:NR) NFV (4-1)

Other teams to consider:
Greene County
Monticello
Iowa Falls Alden
Mid Prairie
Clarion Goldfield Dows
Clear Lake

Greene County is a top 10 team...heck they might be a top 5 team!! Just my opinion :)
They have been on fire lately and have a lot of weapons. Their defense hasn't given up a TD in regulation since the 1st half of week 1!!

They just beat a solid Clarinda team (who has a D1 lineman and state high jump champion at WR) 41-0 on the road and it was 35-0 at half. Yes I know Clarinda is 1-4 but look who their losses are to...all really good teams (Creston, Underwood, Treynor, and GC).

Greene County is a top 10 team...heck they might be a top 5 team!! Just my opinion :)
They have been on fire lately and have a lot of weapons. Their defense hasn't given up a TD in regulation since the 1st half of week 1!!

They just beat a solid Clarinda team (who has a D1 lineman and state high jump champion at WR) 41-0 on the road and it was 35-0 at half. Yes I know Clarinda is 1-4 but look who their losses are to...all really good teams (Creston, Underwood, Treynor, and GC).
The AP poll and BCMoore both agree with your assessment.
AP #8 Greene County
BCMoore #1 Greene County

Didn’t they lose to an unranked 1A ACGC team?

It looks like ACGC is 5-0 and the loss was in overtime. BC Moore is having a brutal time with 2A this years predictions and its lovely to watch
A compilation of scores is meaningless for a variety of reasons. Apparently even his original compilation of scores must have had issues. The original ranking posted on Saturday had Estherville #1 and SEV #2. Can't remember where Greene County was at. Coincidently Moore's old list was still up at the time the OP created his list which could explain his lack of love for GC.....originally Moore didn't give them as much love either.

With 5 classes and 3 ND games there are more games being played out of class. In GC case at this time that would be 2 District - 3 ND. They lost in OT to a good 1A. beat another decent 1A by 10, and then totally smoked (62-0) 4A Perry.....probably one of the worst athletic programs in the state...all classes. At the end of the day how do you put that into a 2A ranking by doing nothing but compiling scores? You can't.

Since the rankings are nothing but a foundation of compiled scores/records here is another factor which in my opinion is changing partially due to the continued increase in two ways. It is the philosophy of the coach. Some coaches want to stand on the throat. Others (especially with more 2 ways) are finding themselves pulling back on the reigns and intentionally killing clock on games they are in control instead of trying to score more points. Classic example would be SEV 24-14 win over Estherville. That game was not as close as that 10 point margin in the scores of both. SEV intentionally started run only after going up by 17 and allowed Estherville to stack the box and stop them....especially when they still managed a couple first down per possession. Estherville on the other hand scored their 2nd touchdown with only a minute left. Had the coach decided to continue that game in the same manner after they went up 24-7 the final score (and possibly Moore rankings) would have likely been different.

Couple weeks SEV plays at Spirit Lake. Depending on what route taken it is 116-127 miles. Sad to see that much travel with GC sitting as a neighbor. It would be nice if Moore's 1 and 2 could play a game on the field especially since they sit next to each other. (FTR I think the AP has GC about right at #8).

Last edited:
The AP poll and BCMoore both agree with your assessment.
AP #8 Greene County
BCMoore #1 Greene County
Not sure what the difference between Max Preps compilation ratings are and Moore's but over the years I've found Max Preps to more closely match what happens on the actual playing field. Max Preps has GC #10.

I don't get too hung up on polls because in the end they don't really matter unless it's an RPI situation or something like that. I was just stating that Greene County is a top 10 caliber team, which I think they definitely are!!

Was ELC missing Zavion McCurrian in their game against SEV? I don't see his name anywhere in the stats on VB. He seems like one of their very best players.

Reactions: ghost80
I don't get too hung up on polls because in the end they don't really matter unless it's an RPI situation or something like that. I was just stating that Greene County is a top 10 caliber team, which I think they definitely are!!

Was ELC missing Zavion McCurrian in their game against SEV? I don't see his name anywhere in the stats on VB. He seems like one of their very best players.
Agreed on ratings. Only reason I keep tossing out the shortcomings of Moore is invariably it seems like every year there are people tossing out using them as a source for determining playoff spots and rankings. Not a good move.

Totally agree GC deserves to be in the Top 10. It will all get sorted out later. Example would be the team they lost to ACGC. They are unbeaten but where they are at in the 1A rankings does not matter.....they have to face Van Meter at the end of regular season. That will determine how good they are on the field.....not in some half baked ranking system.

ELC was short. That also points out another shortcoming of a system like Moore. How do you account for a player who is injured or not playing for another reason but will return. How can you honestly start your ranking season by factoring in last season with no accounting for who graduated, moved, or is not participating this year? I don't think either side showed anything close to everything Friday night and the real match between those two could easily be yet to come.

Yeah Zavion McMurran didn't get to play.

I noticed this under the playoffs assignment section in the playoff manual:

"When a district champion plays a district fourth place team, the district champion will be the home team.

When a district runner-up plays a district third place team, the district runner-up will be the home team."

Does this mean that all district champs are playing 4 seeds and 2s vs 3s? I didn't see any other language about how it set up.

"When a district champion plays a district fourth place team, the district champion will be the home team.

When a district runner-up plays a district third place team, the district runner-up will be the home team."

Does this mean that all district champs are playing 4 seeds and 2s vs 3s? I didn't see any other language about how it set up.
That’s the way it should be. Easier than trying to seed every team.

Reactions: ghost80
Agreed on ratings. Only reason I keep tossing out the shortcomings of Moore is invariably it seems like every year there are people tossing out using them as a source for determining playoff spots and rankings. Not a good move.

Totally agree GC deserves to be in the Top 10. It will all get sorted out later. Example would be the team they lost to ACGC. They are unbeaten but where they are at in the 1A rankings does not matter.....they have to face Van Meter at the end of regular season. That will determine how good they are on the field.....not in some half baked ranking system.

ELC was short. That also points out another shortcoming of a system like Moore. How do you account for a player who is injured or not playing for another reason but will return. How can you honestly start your ranking season by factoring in last season with no accounting for who graduated, moved, or is not participating this year? I don't think either side showed anything close to everything Friday night and the real match between those two could easily be yet to come.

So no ratings or rankings?

First round is easy to figure out. Districts will probably pair up. What no one has an answer to is what happens beyond that?

First round is easy to figure out. Districts will probably pair up. What no one has an answer to is what happens beyond that?
I still think in round one there will be some district champs playing their own districts #4. Some of these teams are so far away from others!

Clarinda is like 2+ hours away from any other playoff team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT