ADVERTISEMENT

Small town Iowa is starting to get fed up with Grandview...

It's a broken system but don't count on it to be fixed. The association doesn't care, nor do they listen to their member schools. It covers basically every girls and boys sport, and will only continue to get worse.

Irresponsible reporting to repeat rumors like that.
'Do they recruit? Some say yes' Do they offer jobs to parents? Some say yes'.

Some say yes? What kind of journalism is that? How about some facts?

Grandview is a special situation, and I don't agree with what they are doing.

But, the vast majority of private schools, do not 'recruit' or offer 'free tuition' or 'jobs'. They have a strong culture of participation, hard work and high expectations that exist from elementary school on up. Couple that with better access to training and resources along with more disposable income and you see what we have today.

The Illinois multiplier is for all non boundary schools, public and private. It appears that Grandwview is doing the things that private schools are consistently accused of doing. Does one school cause the rules to be revisited? Odd that the writer didn’t mention the failed multipliers or the lack of change in championships won by private schools.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Is it true that Grandview doesn’t even have a JV squad?

It appears, according to quikstats, that they don’t field a baseball or golf teams, and have very little participation in track. I was surprised to see most of their basketball players listed on their football roster.

Bias and inaccuracies aside, the heart or spirit of the article likely rings true for the small Iowa communities that run into the situations referenced. I think we can all see the article's point.

Having said that, what doesn't seem to ever be addressed is, it's assumed removing the private school from their bracket would've automatically sent the small public Iowa school to state.

There is never discussion about how it's possible they could simply run into another small Iowa public school having a great season, and have their dream season end at the same place.

Instead of GVC insert Alburnett or a Montezuma. It's not a guarantee Mormon Trail would beat either of those teams to make state. Mormon Trail could still have the same disappointment.

The Illinois multiplier is for all non boundary schools, public and private. It appears that Grandwview is doing the things that private schools are consistently accused of doing. Does one school cause the rules to be revisited? Odd that the writer didn’t mention the failed multipliers or the lack of change in championships won by private schools.

So private schools in other states receive a multiplier, play up classes, and still have success? And you think that is a failure of the multipliers?

The problem with a multiplier is that you punish 90% of the schools with weak or so-so teams to get the 10% or fewer competitive teams into a higher class. Didn't something like 6 private schools lose in the first round? It's definitely a 1A and 2A problem. There are no private schools left in the 3A and 4A tourney. And public power Iowa City West, with 40% of their starting lineup being transfers, is out.

Last edited:
We lost to GVC by 21, we beat Waterloo Christian by 26. So just being a private school is the problem? A private school in our conference couldn't even field a team for the 2nd straight season. Waterloo Christian's lone win came against another private school, Cedar Valley Christian, who didn't win a game.

I don't have a problem with the idea of moving a team up if they have continued success at a certain level, but I'm not sure how a multiplier is going to help schools like WCS, CVC, Valley Lutheran or an Iowa Christian Academy (who is in the DSM area, went 0-17 and got destroyed in half their games).

So private schools in other states receive a multiplier, play up classes, and still have success? And you think that is a failure of the multipliers?

Ahhh, the generality approach. The specifics have been laid out here before. Failure or success is determined by what your expected outcome is. If it is to limit the amount of championships then the enrollment multiplier has had some issues. Would a multiplier just prompt the private schools to up their recruiting budget? Not sure how it can go above ‘unlimited’ but according to some they would. o_O

By and large, I think the whole recruiting thing has been a little overblown prior to what GVC is doing in basketball. It is perfectly within someone like Gavin Williams' right to go across town and play for Dowling. Some may not like it, but it is what it is. Dowling is a business, and in the capitalistic society we live in, its just gonna happen. And I know some will say " YOU'RE WRONG" but I am about 99% sure there are no private schools giving actual "athletic" scholarships. They are giving out need based scholarships, and I know from just simply reading some school's information that you can make as much as $75-$80k today and still qualify for some financial need at area private schools...thank you STO money....

Now, what the newest basketball academy is doing on the east side of Des Moines is a whole different kettle of fish. They aren't just taking some underprivledged youth from somewhere in Iowa and bringing them in to play basketball; it is out and out blatent "recruiting" with the sole intent of improving the player's skill and improving the team as a whole. It's no different than any of the prep academies in other parts of the country, but the difference is that GVC is still playing in the IHSAA; those others are not. If GVC wants to continue to bring in foreign born athletes that are there more for basketball than a christian education, then stop competing in the IHSAA, or have two teams. Let the Stubbs family run the "academy" team and travel around the country, and have someone else coach a HS team. That would go a long way to solving at least a big part of this issue.

And Cheer Hawks strikes again! I’m looking at starting a company but need someone skilled in research to compete. I can tell your research is second to none, so I’d like you to come work for us. Clearly you know how to research facts and leave out your biases. Please come work for us.

GVC situation is an embarrassment. Private Schools need to have there own class for State tourney play. To many issues with multipliers and moving up a class. The private schools that suck now will still suck in the new division. Let the privileged private schools who claim there is no advantage fight it out for one title. What’s happening in 1a with GVC and coach Stubbs is an embarrassment. The Iowa Athletic Association is an embarrassment for letting this happen. The true spirit of the game has been destroyed. I hope the coaching staff and GVC supporters are proud of these hollow championships. You deserve all of the negative press and feelings showered your way. Some day when you look back at this situation I hope you realize that your actions were pathetic. For now enjoy your victory.

Don't blame GVC on private schools. Any school could become a national (or international) basketball academy if they wanted to.

Reactions: Saywhat2
GVC situation is an embarrassment. Private Schools need to have there own class for State tourney play. To many issues with multipliers and moving up a class. The private schools that suck now will still suck in the new division. Let the privileged private schools who claim there is no advantage fight it out for one title. What’s happening in 1a with GVC and coach Stubbs is an embarrassment. The Iowa Athletic Association is an embarrassment for letting this happen. The true spirit of the game has been destroyed. I hope the coaching staff and GVC supporters are proud of these hollow championships. You deserve all of the negative press and feelings showered your way. Some day when you look back at this situation I hope you realize that your actions were pathetic. For now enjoy your victory.

I don’t think that honest private school supporters claim there is no advantage.

So the honest ones should start there own division. Girls have 5 classes. Make it 5 for both. 4 public and one private. If they want a small and large division that would be fine.

Reactions: LAK26
I would love to know the view of the Administration and Board of Directors at these schools? I believe the school can choose to play up a class or two sometime before the season starts. The kids and coaches play within the boundaries of the school.We are quick to attack the state, the players and the coaches.

On a related, but also side note-ICA closed at the semester, 1/2 the kids went to other schools and 1/2 went to GVC, where the state allowed them to keep playing as ICA.

I am not sure what that means, so tough to respond to, those were just facts to add to the conversation. I would love to reply to that post, but the statement is just to ambiguous.

Schools can also choose not to share sports with neighboring communities and play in smaller classes, but they don't. Why?

Because they are winning and don't want that to change.

I would love to know the view of the Administration and Board of Directors at these schools? I believe the school can choose to play up a class or two sometime before the season starts. The kids and coaches play within the boundaries of the school.We are quick to attack the state, the players and the coaches.

On a related, but also side note-ICA closed at the semester, 1/2 the kids went to other schools and 1/2 went to GVC, where the state allowed them to keep playing as ICA.

Yes, because not a one of them would have made it off the bench at GVC

Cheer hawks. You may be critical if you want to. I’m just merely pointing out that you seem to have something against this team/coach. You always attack them.

Please explain

Boyden Hull and Rock Valley choose to combine to play football, but not basketball. This, despite reportedly having over '100 kids' out for football. They could easily each field their own class 1A team, but they don't because they prefer the success they enjoy as a combined team.

Boyden Hull and Rock Valley choose to combine to play football, but not basketball. This, despite reportedly having over '100 kids' out for football. They could easily each field their own class 1A team, but they don't because they prefer the success they enjoy as a combined team.
Do you really think that is the only reason they stay combined?

Don't blame GVC on private schools. Any school could become a national (or international) basketball academy if they wanted to.

Exactly. Sigourney tried to do it with with international (foreign exchange students) from the Czech Republic. Twice. Supposedly not realizing they played on the Czech Republic national basketball team. Yeah right. They did win maybe their only conference championship with one of them. The second time, the coaches in the league had had enough. Refused to put the kid on the all conference team. Haven’t done it since. Hmmmm?

Were you as worked up after the 2014 and 2015 1a state tournaments when no private schools were even in the field? If not..why not? What about back in the day when Palmer won three straight? Or past dominance by western Iowa public schools? I’ll agree with the GVC situation. But they are not representative of private schools. Privileged private schools? That’s funny. They operate on a smaller budget than public schools. I doubt if the kids who played against them will ever have the bitterness you do. And I’m no fan of GVC or their coach but you need to get a grip.

Exactly. Sigourney tried to do it with with international (foreign exchange students) from the Czech Republic. Twice. Supposedly not realizing they played on the Czech Republic national basketball team. Yeah right. They did win maybe their only conference championship with one of them. The second time, the coaches in the league had had enough. Refused to put the kid on the all conference team. Haven’t done it since. Hmmmm?

There have to be other factors involved as well. I can't imagine being upset enough over all-conference selection, or lack thereof, to shutdown a foreign exchange student pipeline.

If people dont like what Grand View is doing....then dont schedule them for a game in any sport.

They arent in a conference, so tough to get games to play.

Reactions: topcoach23
The problem with a multiplier is that you punish 90% of the schools with weak or so-so teams to get the 10% or fewer competitive teams into a higher class. Didn't something like 6 private schools lose in the first round? It's definitely a 1A and 2A problem. There are no private schools left in the 3A and 4A tourney. And public power Iowa City West, with 40% of their starting lineup being transfers, is out.

90% of private schools do not have "weak or so-so teams."

3A WAS dominated by private schools for a good what? Five years? And one of those private schools (Xavier) had multiple transfers from 4A schools. No clue on Wahlert as I didn't see the private school problem until just a few years ago.

The multiplier doesn't have to be huge. 1.5 or 1.75 is fine. Wouldn't even bump up each private school.

Think of it as a middle ground. I hear more and more people saying to just make the private schools play in their own class. I completely disagree with that idea, but if you keep letting the privates dominate, eventually there are going to be more people who think that way. Put in a multiplier.

Does anyone know what Grandview will look like next year? I noticed all 5 of their starters at the state tournament were seniors. Was this a flash in the pan run or will they continue to bring kids in from all over the globe?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT