ADVERTISEMENT

Siouxland Conference

Jan 8, 2018
Who is the team to beat this year? I know teams like Sheldon and Sioux Center have lost quality players but was wondering which teams are the favorite this year to go thru the rugged Siouxland. Maybe Vander Hoops has some input he can share

IMO, the top tier will be George-Little Rock, Sioux Center, and Rock Valley.
Boyden-Hull will get better all year long, but not a good year to move up to 2A for them.
Sheldon lost a ton and will struggle, but I'd put them, Sibley-Ocheydan, & West Lyon in the middle, with the rest in the bottom tier.

Cade Bleeker from Sioux Center might be the best player in the league and will carry them.
GLR has a bunch of good scorers, but I worry about their depth (a lot smaller school than the others). BH knocked them off already
Rock Valley will play physical ball (often at the expense of good basketball), but I think losing the big post player from last year will let them pick up the tempo & they'll run teams into the ground. Really dangerous if they can hit from the perimeter.
3 conference losses could still win it

Reactions: yNOTskers
How much size does Boyden-Hull have?

IMO, the top tier will be George-Little Rock, Sioux Center, and Rock Valley.
Boyden-Hull will get better all year long, but not a good year to move up to 2A for them.
Sheldon lost a ton and will struggle, but I'd put them, Sibley-Ocheydan, & West Lyon in the middle, with the rest in the bottom tier.

Cade Bleeker from Sioux Center might be the best player in the league and will carry them.
GLR has a bunch of good scorers, but I worry about their depth (a lot smaller school than the others). BH knocked them off already
Rock Valley will play physical ball (often at the expense of good basketball), but I think losing the big post player from last year will let them pick up the tempo & they'll run teams into the ground. Really dangerous if they can hit from the perimeter.
3 conference losses could still win it

I'm not sure that the Siouxland has a headliner this year but they have alot of quality teams. Even teams like Sibley Ocheyedan are better this year. Central Lyon is probably the one outlier that will struggle.

Top Level:

GLR
Boyden Hull
Sioux Center
Rock Valley (beat up)

Middle Level:

MOC
Okoboji
Sibley Ocheyedan
West Lyon
Sheldon

Bottom Level

Central Lyon

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Wow, Boyden-Hull takes care of West Lyon by 31!

I really thought it would be a closer game than that.

Boyden-Hull beats Rock Valley by double digits. The Comets appear to be the favorite right now, although I realize it is still early.

NW Iowa is going to be nuts during the postseason. West Sioux and Boyden-Hull have both made the jump to 2A this season. You will have those two teams, plus Western, Sioux Center, Unity, and West Lyon potentially in one pod for districts. GLR and South O'Brien will likely battle for the right to go to state because there doesn't seem to by anyone else in that part of the state to challenge them. I would say GLR has the edge to make it back for the second year in a row. I could see Sheldon, S-O, and Okoboji going east during districts to team up with maybe ELC, Emmetsburg, and Cherokee. There will be a couple of quality teams not making to the Well in 2A from NW Iowa.

Happens all around the state every year...
Really? Where are these other areas where that happens every year?

NW IA isn't dominant in every sport, but small school hoops is one where they are year after year. I can't think of another county where it happens annually.

Reactions: iowalongs230
I think he reinjured a leg injury during practice.
A couple others still rehabbing football injuries as well.
Look for RV to make a run at the conference title yet.

Hopefully he won't be out for long. Maybe after Christmas break he will be back? Just a great athlete and competitor.

JT did come back on Tuesday and looks like he played a nice game. Very close game they had with S-O.

Boyden-Hull still trucking along with a blow out win over Sheldon.

It will be interesting to see how they matchup vs Western Christian come tournament time.

Standings thru 1st Half of Conference action
BH 9-0 9-0
GLR 8-1 10-1
RV 6-3 7-3
Sioux Center 6-3 6-3
Moc-Fv 5-4 5-5
S-O 4-5 6-5
OK 3-6 4-8
WL 3-6 3-7
Sh 1-8 1-8
CL 0-9 2-9

Should be interesting 2nd time thru.

I think GLR will get Boyden-Hull when they come to George. Should be a great game. Could be a potential tie for the conference title. We'll see how the schedule plays out. But, those two are the best in the conference. RV needs to keep getting consistent play from their guards. SC will need Bleeker to go off in the second half of the season to hope for a deep run.

I've seen all of the top Siouxland teams play at least once & I think the entire conference is down quite a bit this year.
B-H is good, but well below some of their better teams & they don't play anybody good non-conference, so hard to determine how they'll stack up against West Sioux and Western.

G-LR has the best chance of getting to Des Moines in 1A.

Big win for Boyden-Hull over George-Little Rock last night 62-48.
Should lock up the Siouxland title for them.
Rare to go undefeated (maybe those dominant Rock Valley teams a few years back?)

Don't be surprised to see both of these teams at the Well this year.

Big win for Boyden-Hull over George-Little Rock last night 62-48.
Should lock up the Siouxland title for them.
Rare to go undefeated (maybe those dominant Rock Valley teams a few years back?)

Don't be surprised to see both of these teams at the Well this year.
Is there a replay of that game that you can watch on line?

I listened to it on the radio last night. Did GLR have an off night shooting or was it more about the strengths of BH?

Even those dominant Rock Valley teams didn’t go undefeated. It’s also been a long time since Boyden Hull has won the conference outright.

According to the Siouxland website, these were the undefeated teams in league play (double round-robin era, 1989-present):
2012 - MOC-FV
2006 - MOC-FV
1996 - MOC-FV
1993 - Boyden-Hull

I listened to it on the radio last night. Did GLR have an off night shooting or was it more about the strengths of BH?
According to quick stats looks as GLR was 17-62 from the field and I read in the paper they 10-33 from the paint. I would say it was a combination of a cold shooting night and BH just being really good.

According to quick stats looks as GLR was 17-62 from the field and I read in the paper they 10-33 from the paint. I would say it was a combination of a cold shooting night and BH just being really good.
Opposing team shoots 27% from the field and you only win by 14??? That's some bad basketball all around.

Opposing team shoots 27% from the field and you only win by 14??? That's some bad basketball all around.
Easy to say if you weren’t there. Pretty much every shot was contested by one player if not two in the post. The refs let them play pretty physical so some shots that were missed could have been fouls. The last quarter BH was up by around 18 and we’re only worried about keeping the ball out of GLR hands. Say what you want about the stats but it was not bad basketball.

Thought I would mention BH is one one the top 3 pt shooting teams in the state per Quitstats.

Easy to say if you weren’t there. Pretty much every shot was contested by one player if not two in the post. The refs let them play pretty physical so some shots that were missed could have been fouls. The last quarter BH was up by around 18 and we’re only worried about keeping the ball out of GLR hands. Say what you want about the stats but it was not bad basketball.

If you have seen any of these 2 teams all season long the last words I would describe them by would be “bad basketball”.

A few updates.

Looks like in spite of 2 late season losses, Boyden-Hull still won the conference outright.

Top freshman - Okoboji's Lorenzen was really good. How tall is he?

A few updates.

Looks like in spite of 2 late season losses, Boyden-Hull still won the conference outright.

Top freshman - Okoboji's Lorenzen was really good. How tall is he?

Top freshman:

Tanner Te Slaa BH
Jaxon Meyer WL
Lucas Lorenzen Boji

History would argue against your statement.

We shall see come next month.

QUOTE="Hawk2015, post: 169779, member: 8730"]Two overated NW Iowa teams, just an educated guess and pretty safe assumption on my part.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: NWIA_hoops
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT