West Lyon
Central Lyon
GLR
Boyden-Hull
MOC-FV
Sibley-O
Okoboji

4-8 Could be mixed any way I believe

This looks close. I think the top 4 in the conference are on a different level than the rest. With that said 1-8 are all solid teams. The Siouxland is tough.

West Lyon is the team that has shown the most improvement so far this season IMO. Very fast, athletic and strong.

Looks like the Siouxland is going to be crazy competitive this year. Sheldon, Sioux Center, Rock Valley, Boyden-Hull, West Lyon, and even George-Little Rock all look like they have very solid teams. Surprised to see MOC struggle out the gates a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get better as the year goes on. One thing is for sure these teams will all be battle tested and ready for post season play.

So what is going on with MOC? I haven't seen them play at all this year but they seem to be just horrible looking at their scores. They have had some down years before but even then they still competed. I can't remember them ever being this bad.

I have seen multiple games in the siouxland this year and just a couple of MOC games and they graduated a bunch of seniors last year so that's always difficult...on top of that their two best returning players were a freshman PG that transferred because his dad took the HC job at Ankeny high school and then their leading returning scorer in the post from last year broke his foot and won't play a min the entire year because of surgery. They have one great player that's a combo post forward that can play inside and out. Other than that they don't have one player that would start for any of the top 5 siouxland teams this year. It's actually amazing that they have had a few wins and some close ones as they are probably way worse than their record. Seems like it's just a combination of bad luck with losing the two best returning players and just an outlier of a year to me.

Reactions: sarcastico
Through 1/14
Sheldon 9-1
Rock Valley 8-2
West Lyon 7-3
Sioux Center 7-3
George-LR 6-4
Boyden-Hull 5-5
Central Lyon 3-7
MOC-FV 3-7
Okoboji 2-8
Sibley-Och. 0-10

Tuesday 1/17
Sheldon at Sioux Center; MOC-FV at West Lyon; Rock Valley at George-LR; Boyden-Hull at Okoboji; Sibley-Och at Central Lyon

Friday 1/20
Rock Valley at Sheldon; West Lyon at Sibley-Och; Okoboji at Sioux Center; George-LR at Central Lyon; MOC-FV at Boyden-Hull

Reactions: mtdew_fever
1/17 Scores:
Sioux Center 63, Sheldon 46
West Lyon 82, MOC-FV 47
Boyden-Hull 79, Okoboji 51
Central Lyon 74, Sibley-Och 73 (ot)
Rock Valley 64, George-LR 61

Last edited:
Friday 1/20 Schedule:
Rock Valley (9-2) at Sheldon (9-2)
Okoboji (2-9) at Sioux Center (8-3)
West Lyon (8-3) at Sibley-Och (0-11)
George-LR (6-5) at Central Lyon (4-7)
MOC-FV (3-8) at Boyden-Hull (6-5)

Unity stuns Sioux Center last night after SC had just spanked Sheldon on Tuesday!

I think Coach Warner @ Unity is getting the most out of his team right now, with big wins over Boyden Hull and Sioux Center (and played Western close for 4 qtrs.).

Unity stuns Sioux Center last night after SC had just spanked Sheldon on Tuesday!

I think Coach Warner @ Unity is getting the most out of his team right now, with big wins over Boyden Hull and Sioux Center (and played Western close for 4 qtrs.).
I see they play Remsen St.Mary's tonight. Any insight on that match up?

I see they play Remsen St.Mary's tonight. Any insight on that match up?
The way they're playing, I'll take Unity by 10.
Remsen St Mary's is decent, but has played an incredibly weak schedule.

The War Eagle conference is always pretty weak & it will come down to these 2 or Hinton for the title.

Boyden hull played TERRIBLE against unity and that is their own faults. I did not think unity was that great that night and and last nights game against Sioux Center surprised me quite a bit. The only thing I can think would be last night was one of those "let down games" after a huge win against conference leader Sheldon, you struggle at home against Unity. Not saying unity is bad by any means, but last night is further proof that you can't take a night off in this corner of the state because you will get beat by anybody on any night. Kudos to unity. Maybe they can make an already brutal 2A district even more brutal with Western, Sioux center, rock valley, Sheldon, west Lyon, and unity all currently being in BCMoore's top 18 in 2A. That's ridiculous.

Reactions: VanderHoops
Friday 1/20 Scores:
Rock Valley 61, Sheldon 43
West Lyon 82, Sibley-Och. 48
Sioux Center 86, Okoboji 78
George-LR 55, Central Lyon 53
Boyden-Hull 76, MOC-FV 63

Standings
Rock Valley 10-2
Sheldon 9-3
West Lyon 9-3
Sioux Center 9-3
George-LR 7-5
Boyden-Hull 7-5
Central Lyon 4-8
MOC-FV 3-9
Okoboji 2-10
Sibley-Och. 0-12

Remaining HTH between Top 4
Jan 31 - Rock Valley at West Lyon
Feb 7 - Boyden-Hull at Rock Valley; West Lyon at Sioux Center
Feb 10 - Sheldon at West Lyon

Boyden Hull's last three games are against West Lyon, Rock Valley, and Sioux Center--they might have something to say with which team wins the Siouxland this year even though they aren't in the title chase mix. With all that, it's Rock Valley's title to lose.

RV is the team to beat, that is for sure, from what I heard they were lucky to leave GLR with a win last week and now have a chance to take control of the conference

Jan. 27 Scores
Sioux Center 73, Sibley-Ocheyedan 58
Rock Valley 72, Okoboji 58
Sheldon 68, MOC-FV 42
West Lyon 65, Central Lyon 54
Boyden-Hull 53, George-LR 52

Jan. 31 Schedule
Rock Valley (11-2) at West Lyon (11-3)
Sioux Center (11-3) at George-LR (7-7)
Sheldon (10-3) at Sibley-Ocheyedan (0-13)
Central Lyon (4-9) at Boyden-Hull (8-5)
Okoboji (2-11) at MOC-FV (3-11)

Jan. 31 Scores
West Lyon 67, Rock Valley 65 (OT)
Sioux Center 78, George-LR 62
Sheldon 72, Sibley-Ocheyedan 32
Boyden-Hull 81, Central Lyon 76
MOC-FV 78, Okoboji 75

Feb. 2 Schedule
Boyden-Hull (9-5) at Sibley-Ocheyedan (0-14)
non-conference: Harris-LP at Okoboji; Unity at Rock Valley

Feb. 3 Schedule
MOC-FV (4-11) at Rock Valley (11-3)
Sioux Center (12-3) at Central Lyon (4-10)
Boyden-Hull at West Lyon (12-3)
George-LR (7-8) at Sheldon (11-3)
Sibley-Ocheyedan at Okoboji (2-12)

Feb. 3 Scores
Rock Valley 61, MOC-FV 41
Sioux Center 69, Central Lyon 46
Sheldon 73, George-LR 58
Okoboji 57, Sibley-Ocheyedan 53
West Lyon 66, Boyden-Hull 56

Updated Standings
West Lyon 13-3
Sioux Center 13-3
Rock Valley 12-3
Sheldon 12-3
Boyden-Hull 10-6
George-LR 7-9
Central Lyon 4-11
MOC-FV 4-12
Okoboji 3-12
Sibley-Och. 0-16

Feb. 3 Scores
Rock Valley 61, MOC-FV 41
Sioux Center 69, Central Lyon 46
Sheldon 73, George-LR 58
Okoboji 57, Sibley-Ocheyedan 53
West Lyon 66, Boyden-Hull 56

Updated Standings
West Lyon 13-3
Sioux Center 13-3
Rock Valley 12-3
Sheldon 12-3
Boyden-Hull 10-6
George-LR 7-9
Central Lyon 4-11
MOC-FV 4-12
Okoboji 3-12
Sibley-Och. 0-16

Wow. The Siouxland is ridiculous this year.

What's left:
West Lyon: @SC Sheldon
Sioux Center:
WL @ Boyden-Hull
Rock Valley: Central Lyon Boyden-Hull Sibley-Ocheydan
Sheldon: @Okoboji Cent Lyon @ West Lyon

IMO, it will take 15-3 record to win the title
RV has the easiest path.
Will come down to who's hot down the stretch

Last edited:
The storm a couple of weeks ago made this week crazy. Last week of the regular season, and two of the top 4 teams now have to play 3 conference games.

Rock Valley plays Mon, Tue, Thu
Sheldon plays Mon, Tue, Fri

On paper, Rock Valley is looking at 15-3.

West Lyon at Sioux Center on Tuesday is likely an elimination game for the conference crown.
Sheldon at West Lyon on Friday may mean a co-championship for the winner.

Feb. 6 Scores
MOC-FV 83, Sibley-Ocheyedan 62
Rock Valley 62, Central Lyon 56
Sheldon 71, Okoboji 69 (F/OT) -- GW at the buzzer

Last edited:
Updated Standings
West Lyon 13-3
Rock Valley 13-3
Sioux Center 13-3
Sheldon 13-3
Boyden-Hull 10-6
George-LR 7-9
MOC-FV 5-12
Central Lyon 4-12
Okoboji 3-13
Sibley-Ocheyedan 0-17

Feb. 7 Schedule
West Lyon at Sioux Center [video link]
Boyden-Hull at Rock Valley [video link]
Central Lyon at Sheldon [audio link]
George-LR at Okoboji

Last edited:
The Siouxland is tough this year! The four at the top are all state caliber teams, but only one will get the opportunity to go. Outside of Sibley, every team is competitive. Boyden Hull, GLR, and Central Lyon all have a chance to make a run in 1A.

Should be a great night of hoops tonight.

West Lyon @ Sioux Center will be the big one. Both teams have great guards and are athletic.

Boyden Hull @ Rock Valley will be interesting. Boyden Hull will need to find a way to rebound inside with the big size disadvantage. BH will have to shoot it well to have a chance. Not sure if we will see Vant Hul back for RV.

Central Lyon @ Sheldon - CL played RV tough. It will be interesting to see if they can do the same tonight. Will this be a night where Sheldon is lights out shooting or another 1-21 night from 3?

Fun week in the Siouxland!!

WL @ SC- Title Game. The last time these 2 played WL seemed to be the more physical team and got to the free throw line more than SC. This seems to be SC's weakness this year as they are not a very physical team, especially on the perimeter. Sioux Center shot about 8% less than their season average of 39.2% behind the arc the 1st time these 2 played. Was this due to tougher guard defense by WL or was it just a rare off night from 3 by SC? BC Moore has SC as a 2.7 point favorite at home tonight but I would say this game is a toss up. Who wants the Siouxland Title more?

BH @RV-Home court advantage? BH has been hot from 3 the last 3 games shooting 40% behind the arc. They're averaging 26 rebounds the last 3 games. BH shot similar vs RV the first game shooting 36% from 3. Rock Valley is coming into tonight's game shooting 30% from 3 with only 24 attempts the last 3 games. They were only 3/15 from 3 the first time these two played. The big number here is rebounds. RV only out rebounded BH by 2 in the first game, but is averaging 36 rebounds a game the last 3 games vs BH's 26 rebounds a game the last 3 outings. BC Moore has RV the 6 point favorite and I think that is pretty accurate. RV by 6 at home.

Reactions: usfhawk
Boyden Hull's last three games are against West Lyon, Rock Valley, and Sioux Center--they might have something to say with which team wins the Siouxland this year even though they aren't in the title chase mix. With all that, it's Rock Valley's title to lose.
I still think Boyden Hull is going to spoil the party for a couple of these teams. Whoever can beat BH, wins the Siouxland! Doomsday scenario...Tonight look for BH to (mild) upset RV and Sx Ctr to beat WL. Sheldon will beat CL, leaving the Orabs and Warriors at 3 losses and WL and RV with 4. Don't worry, because Friday WL beats Sheldon, RV beats Sibley, and Boyden Hull beats Sx Ctr, and we end up with a 4 way tie! Francis will have the comets ready, they are gearing up for tournaments. Not sure if they are state caliber but like every other season-i wouldn't want to play them this time of year.

Feb. 7 Scores
West Lyon 75, Sioux Center 70
Boyden-Hull 73, Rock Valley 68
Sheldon 72, Central Lyon 45
George-LR 79, Okoboji 75 (OT)

Last edited:
Remaining Schedule
[Thu.] Rock Valley (13-4) at Sibley-Ocheyedan (0-17)
Sheldon (14-3) at West Lyon (14-3)
Sioux Center (13-4) at Boyden-Hull (11-6)
MOC-FV (5-12) at George-LR (8-9)
Central Lyon (4-13) at Okoboji (3-14)

Last edited:
Remaining Schedule
[Thu.] Rock Valley (13-4) at Sibley-Ocheyedan (0-17)
Sheldon (14-3) at West Lyon (14-3)
Sioux Center (13-4) at Boyden-Hull (11-6)
MOC-FV (5-12) at George-LR (8-9)
Central Lyon (4-13) at Okoboji (3-14)
West Lyon doesn't want to share the title!

Looking back to the last time these two played Sheldon shot 68% from the field and 53% from 3 with 10 made 3's while West Lyon was only 36% from the field and 43% behind the arc with 11 made 3's. Sheldon out rebounded WL 28 to 19. The X-factor the last time these two played was Tyler Merley scoring 17 points with 5 3's. He's averaging 6.9 a game with 1.7 made 3's a game right now and I don't think he plays like this again. The likelihood of Sheldon shooting 70% on the road is also very rare so I'll take WL at home to win the conference championship Friday night and watch out for these guys in the tournament. WL is heating up after taking care of SC by 5 last night with 10 wins in a row. I think they're poised to give RV and Western more than they can handle.

Looking back to the last time these two played Sheldon shot 68% from the field and 53% from 3 with 10 made 3's while West Lyon was only 36% from the field and 43% behind the arc with 11 made 3's. Sheldon out rebounded WL 28 to 19. The X-factor the last time these two played was Tyler Merley scoring 17 points with 5 3's. He's averaging 6.9 a game with 1.7 made 3's a game right now and I don't think he plays like this again. The likelihood of Sheldon shooting 70% on the road is also very rare so I'll take WL at home to win the conference championship Friday night and watch out for these guys in the tournament. WL is heating up after taking care of SC by 5 last night with 10 wins in a row. I think they're poised to give RV and Western more than they can handle.

Merley hit five 3s last night against Central Lyon, I think he'll be OK Friday night. IF Sheldon brings the same energy they did last time they'll win by 15. It will be close, but I just don't see WL having an answer for sheldon's inside game. Sheldon by 5. PS. this corner of the state will still run through WC, and I don't see any of the Siouxland 2A teams at the same level as the Wolfpack right now.

I was at the 1st Sheldon vs West Lyon game. I walked out saying that is Sheldon can continue to play close to that level they are a state tournament team. I havent seen them play since, but it seems that they have not been able to match that level since that game. My opinion is simply based on scores that i see.

I am anticipating a great game. Should be a fun game with 2 teams that can make a deep postseason run

I was at the 1st Sheldon vs West Lyon game. I walked out saying that is Sheldon can continue to play close to that level they are a state tournament team. I havent seen them play since, but it seems that they have not been able to match that level since that game. My opinion is simply based on scores that i see.

I am anticipating a great game. Should be a fun game with 2 teams that can make a deep postseason run

West Lyon by 6 or 8. #Sharpie

Decided to check out the football teammates BoydenHull/RockValley square off in their basketball rivalry last night. The kid who broke his leg in the football championship got an honorary "start" and both crowds loved it.

Great atmosphere. Gym was 90% full with a few spots open way up top in balcony. Crowds were into it. Coaches were getting after it. Players were battling. The game had 2 officials because the 3rd got injured in the girls game. I don't have an official boxscore so forgive me but.....
The Solberg kid and their point guard for BH sat most of the first half with foul trouble. BH went to a very unorthodox lineup in the 2nd quarter. RV made an early run and then the Rens kid kind of took over. Heard on the radio afterwards, he was 4-4 from 3 with 18 points JUST in the 2nd period. BH led at half and led by 13 at the end of the 3rd. I thought BH got timid in the final quarter instead of attacking, and that allowed RV to get back in it. I figured RV would make a run at some point. The game was down to 3 I believe but BH sealed it with free throws. BH will have to correct that in tournament time, and RV absolutely can not allow themselves to get down by 13 points going into tournaments.

I wish I had a box score to see what the rebounding total was. I'm sure RV won that battle and with Taylor that's expected. I'm guessing Taylor had around 25 points? But more interesting was the Schaffer kid for BH had at least 18 points maybe even 24, and was zero afraid to take to Taylor and that was pretty crazy to watch, beings Taylor has about 7-8 inches on him. Between that and BH's 3's that was the biggest key. I'm gonna guess BH was 8-14 from 3 with the Rens kid being 6-8 from 3. Seems like BH has really brought it in the big games this year, but sometimes struggles against teams in the lower echelon of the conference. They will need to bring it from here on out starting with Sioux center this Friday and then right into tournaments. If anyone thinks a district with Central Lyon, George, and South Obrien is easy, you're nuts. Rock valley has a brutal district and substate and will need to be on top of their game against WL and then Western. I feel bad for all 4 of those teams: WL, Sheldon, SCenter, and Rock Valley. And Unity! At LEAST 2, MAYBE 3 from district 1 and 2 could do damage in Des Moines, guaranteed. Unfortunately only one makes it and I still feel that will be Western, but on any given night anything can happen.

Which Siouxland 2A school stands to have the best chance at knocking off Western Christian in the District/Substate?

Along with West Lyon, Unity, Rock Valley and Sheldon....then you add in a pretty good Pocahontas team and it is by far the toughest bracket in 2A.

Which Siouxland 2A school stands to have the best chance at knocking off Western Christian in the District/Substate?

Along with West Lyon, Unity, Rock Valley and Sheldon....then you add in a pretty good Pocahontas team and it is by far the toughest bracket in 2A.
Poky has the impressive record but would be .500 team at best in Siouxland conference. Weak schedule = early exit in tournaments

I would have to say the best team to knock off Western, might be West Lyon, they are big, strong, physical and deep. Their halfcourt offense is a question mark, but if they can get scoring out of anyone besides Heyer and Meyer, it will make them that much more difficult.

Rock Valley, I believe can defend Western and make life hard on them, but I just don't think RV can score enough to beat Western. Rock Valley really struggles to make shots outside the lane and I think this will be their undoing in the postseason.

Sheldon I believe can match up with Western, but I think they are a year away yet. Van Marel, Boehave, and Klienhessilink are good, but pretty much thats all that Sheldon has besides Merley making some shots from the outside.

Sioux Center is the scariest team of the bunch, but I think you don't know what Sioux Center team will show up. They can be real good and struggle at times. Arends, Bleeker, Van Beek, Vietor, Zeutenhorst, are all good, but something just seems to be missing from their squard, not sure what it is, but they just don't seem to have it.

When all is said and done I believe Western will come out of the district/substate, but it really is too bad because I believe acouple of these teams would place at state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT