ADVERTISEMENT

Should the boys in Boone ban dunking?

ghost80

Varsity
Feb 24, 2009
Whether endorsed by the coach or not there seems to a growing rule among players of "not on me" when it comes to dunking.

I realize that due to athletes getting bigger and stronger there are more hoopsters dunking than ever but with the defenders also getting bigger, stronger (and seemingly more aggressive) is the best way to curb potentially serious injury to take dunking out of the sport? While there are more kids dunking most still lack a lot of experience and slow up the play which give defenders too much time to come in and try to break it up.

A few years back there were rule changes about putting hands on a players from behind going up being an automatic T. I've seen it called a very few times but it hasn't really done much because officials are unwilling to call it. So once again....is the best way to protect the players (including the ones creating the contact) to ban dunking altogether?

This post was edited on 2/26 6:44 AM by ghost80

Umm no. A few isolated incidents don't merit banning a normal part of the game. If it is a statewide "problem" then there should be stricter penalties for flagrant fouls. If kids are fouling kids within the rules of the game while they dunk then I don't know what else can be done.

With some of the backwards rules in the state, maybe we just should be glad that dunking is allowed.

Ban dunking and do participation ribbons instead of having championships. Might as well wussify it all the way if we're going to ban dunking.
chairshot.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/26 9:37 AM by jasonrann

Dumb idea. Its a big momentum changer in a game and would totally ruin it. Honestly I have went to a lot of games in my life just to see a dunk!

No. You shouldn't ban dunking, but you also shouldn't criticize kids for fouling on would-be dunks. Basketball is a contact sport. If they keep making rules solely based on eliminating injuries (this goes for HS, College, NBA) the game will be weak here. Injuries are part of the game (a bad part, but a part) and that's all there is to it. Also, changing the rules so much is going to harm the players. If Prep Iowa kids can't dunk, that is going to harm them down the road against kids from other states that can dunk, and if Prep Iowa kids can't get in the way of dunks, that will hurt them down the road as well.

This is the dumbest post I've ever seen... Try going to a different state and post this on their high school basketball thread.
roll.r191677.gif

Iowa should not prohibit dunking. I agree with previous posters, we've already got too many backward rules in Iowa. Dunking is part of basketball.

I see your point on a potential rule, but prohibiting dunking isn't the way to go.

If any rule is made, how about being more liberal with the fouls that are made when a guy is in the air (whether it being a dunk or a layup)? Don't just call a foul....make it a flagrant, intentional or just flat out kick the player out of the game for fouling hard when a player is in the air. This would obviously be at the discretion of the officials, but that could be something the IAHSAA makes it a point of emphasis at the beginning of the year.

How can you start penalizing guys that foul hard if they are going for ball? Lets just make it Iowa Flag Basketball

I would like to also ban post ups. I would also like to make all contact a foul. Widen the rim by 2 inches. Move the 3pt line to the FT line. Make the old 3pt line a 5pt line. Lower the basket 2ft so we can tease all the dunkers other there.

If we can't beat teams athletically then we can be the best free throw shooting state in the country.

Question:
Was dunking allowed back when basketball was invented? The game we have in place now, varies widely from what the intended game was supposed to be. perhaps eliminating dunking would move us closer to the game the way its SUPPOSED to be played.

Dribbling wasn't allowed in the original rules of basketball, should we ban that too? And goal tending was legal, allow that?

Maybe just continue to allow dunking, shall we?

Originally posted by h2p42:
Dumb idea. Its a big momentum changer in a game and would totally ruin it. Honestly I have went to a lot of games in my life just to see a dunk!
Dunking wasn't allowed until around 1978-79. i don't want it banned, but if a dunk is a major momentum changer in a game, you have a very weak minded team to begin with. Is the dunk still such a rare thing that it's still considered a novelty almost 40 years after in was reinstated. Silliness

Originally posted by Spook 78:

Question:
Was dunking allowed back when basketball was invented? The game we have in place now, varies widely from what the intended game was supposed to be. perhaps eliminating dunking would move us closer to the game the way its SUPPOSED to be played.
Seriously?
You probably hate the forward pass in football too.

maybe todays game should be called dribbleball then. cuz it isn't basketball.
there has been many many rule changes over the years. changing it once again to not allowing dunks is really nothing more than what we have been doing yearly (and on every level) which is change the game.

Originally posted by mtdew_fever:
I see your point on a potential rule, but prohibiting dunking isn't the way to go.

If any rule is made, how about being more liberal with the fouls that are made when a guy is in the air (whether it being a dunk or a layup)? Don't just call a foul....make it a flagrant, intentional or just flat out kick the player out of the game for fouling hard when a player is in the air. This would obviously be at the discretion of the officials, but that could be something the IAHSAA makes it a point of emphasis at the beginning of the year.
This makes sense to me. Banning the dunk would certainly not ruin the game nor prevent Iowa players from playing the next level. That's just ridiculous..the game has become primarily dribble drive penetration and three point shooting anyway. I'm not in favor of banning dunking, but it seems to be the fans, not the players who are more in awe of it. Most players and teams view it as rather ho hum.

Originally posted by Saywhat2:

Dunking wasn't allowed until around 1978-79. i don't want it banned, but if a dunk is a major momentum changer in a game, you have a very weak minded team to begin with. Is the dunk still such a rare thing that it's still considered a novelty almost 40 years after in was reinstated. Silliness
I want to know what high school games you are going to that they are throwing dunks down all the time. It very much is a momentum changer regardless of how it effects the other team, for the team that has a dunk it fires the players and crowd up and they get a brief momentum spike. A good team won't really let it effect the outcome of the game though.

Originally posted by sarcastico:

I want to know what high school games you are going to that they are throwing dunks down all the time. It very much is a momentum changer regardless of how it effects the other team, for the team that has a dunk it fires the players and crowd up and they get a brief momentum spike. A good team won't really let it effect the outcome of the game though.
To that point, I went to roughly 30 varsity games this year, most of them my son's games but a few others as well. One of his teammates had about 15 dunks this year. Those were the only dunks I saw all year in games.

Heck, I've seen Patrick McCaffery dunk more, in person, than every HS player not named Bryce Kemp and I've seen Pat play twice.

Originally posted by sarcastico:

Who cares how many dunks there are. It's not a novelty..its two points. It happens In high school quite a bit. I have yet to see any team get rattled by a dunk. Not any team worth it's salt anyway. All this emphasis on dunking is a joke. Like I said if your team can't handle getting dunked on you're not very good anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT