ADVERTISEMENT

SE Football

Originally posted by WadeWubben:

Hard to start talking how great you are when, according to your own coaches, you haven't played anybody yet.
Didn't Coach Tighe say before the play-offs that this was "their easiest path to the dome"? Given the awful teams St. Ed's has played to this point- I would think you'd have to reserve judgment until they play somebody who is on their level.
Nvm, saw the quote. But still it's not either/or if you're replacing "best" with "easiest".

Yes, Tighe may be speaking confidently of his team, but the fact he is stating is that there is no A-P or E'burg this year.....because they're that team, at least in terms of record and ranking. Only undefeated team. True. Playing as good as any SE team has in his career. True.

He's saying that this is their best chance because he feels like his team is playing good enough to beat the teams they face. That's pretty straight forward. It's not really disrespect. If anything, Tighe is complimenting the efforts of his team. Of course they expect to play in the dome, just as every other playoff qualifier does. But being the lone unbeaten and highest ranked team among them brings a certain added expectation with it to follow through and achieve that goal.

Would you rather Tighe say that he's worried about looking over his shoulder at each opponent he'll face in the playoffs? I'd say that's one area where he isn't like Kirk Ferentz (suggested by CP84).

I doubt you were saying that at Manson. And there's a difference between having respect for your opponent and still believing you are/can be the better team, and putting the fear of God into your players regarding their next opponent.
This post was edited on 11/8 5:13 PM by DarkThunder#61

Originally posted by hawks127:

Originally posted by trout_king15:

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:

Originally posted by CP84:
Originally posted by cowpie57:
Where would you rank this years St Edmond team amongst some of the other best teams in the schools history?

IMO
1)2008
2)2011
3)2005
4)2012
5)2013
6)2006
Understanding that the 2011 SE team played in 2A, I still don't see this years' defense giving up 42 points to that West Marshall team.
It's impossible to tell, but I'm pretty sure that West Marshall team has at least three guys that play D1 now. However, if this team wins tomorrow then there shouldn't be much of an argument left.

This post was edited on 11/7 11:33 PM by trout_king15
Where?....
Two Ferches and Tysen Streeter are at Iowa State.

This post was edited on 11/8 11:04 AM by trout_king15
Iowa State is D1? Fooled me
That explains why we haven't heard about them.
tongue.r191677.gif

Max Preps uses a computer model and has SE ranked in the top 20 in the state out of all classes which indicates that the class 1A being down argument doesn't carry a lot of water especially given that data factors in non division opponents from outside the class. SE is ranked #12 behind Pella. By comparison Regina is #5 behind Dowling, Valley, Heelan and Ames.

2011 SE was ranked 38 in the state, 2008 SE 41 and 2005 SE 22 at the end of the season.

This post was edited on 11/8 4:59 PM by CP84

It is the easiest route to the dome for St. Edmond in quite some time. Both AP and Emmetsburg are down and Manson is in your district. You gotta feel pretty good about your chances.

Originally posted by CP84:
Originally posted by hawk44ever:
He wasn't slapping down anybody but the districts are easier than they have been in a long time. In 2008, SE was #3 in state, Eburg was #2 and A-P was #1. That is a loaded quarterfinal.

This post was edited on 11/8 3:51 PM by hawk44ever
Out of curiosity what was the BCMoore rankings for the top 5 going into state, which is usually a better measure than the Register rankings which base on record? By the end of the year West Lyon probably had to be considered pretty solid. After a fairly slow start they had a great finish to the season and had the closest game with E-berg in the finals.
This post was edited on 11/8 4:37 PM by CP84
Week 9-
1. E'burg (9-0)
2. A-P (9-0)
3. West Lyon (8-1)
4. CBSA (8-1)
5. H-M-S (8-1)

Bonus: 6. Nashua-Plainfield (6-3) 7. St. Edmond (8-1)

Playoff 1st Rd- No change
Playoff 2nd Rd- SE and N-P flip-flopped, no change in top 5

Final rankings- West Branch (11-2, semifinalist) jumped to #5, bumped H-M-S and SE down one.

How does that mean that 1a isn't down? 1a is significantly down this year. Get over it.
Because the facts just don't show that to be the case. I think a lot of people, as I once thought thought too, see AP and E-berg down so they assume the whole class is significantly down. In 2008 you also didn't have Regina in 1A. The 2013 Regina team is better than either E-Berg or AP from '08 unless you really believe West Lyon '08 would hold Regina to 3 points.

Class 1A teams in state comprehensive ranking top 50:

2008: E-Berg #6, AP #15, West Lyon #22, Saint Albert #33, SE #41, HMS #46, West Branch #47 (7 teams is top 50)

2013: Regina #5, SE #12, South Winneshiek #25, S. O'Brien #28, Maquoketa Valley #29, N Fayette #35, Wilton #36, DNH #39, Van Meter #43, Manson #45, Clayton Ridge #49 (11 teams in the top 50)

So is the whole state of Iowa down too?

2008 might have had a harder road to state but they played in a much weaker class.

If Saint Eds wins tonight they'll have 4 wins over top 50 teams (includes Garrigan #33).

This post was edited on 11/8 6:02 PM by CP84

Can't let Wade's post go unanswered.
Hard to start talking how great you are when, according to your own coaches, you haven't played anybody yet.
Didn't Coach Tighe say before the play-offs that this was "their easiest path to the dome"? Given the awful teams St. Ed's has played to this point- I would think you'd have to reserve judgment until they play somebody who is on their level.

First of all, none of the coaches, including Coach Tighe, ever said we haven't played anyone yet. Ask anyone close to the SE football program and they will tell you how good Manson is and how fortunate we were to win the game on Monday. Manson completely dominated play at the line of scrimmage for the first 3 quarters. This is one of the best Manson teams I have seen in 15 years. Big, strong and athletic at almost every position. Good teams find a way to win and that is what SE did Monday.

Secondly, nobody ever said how great we are. This post was to rank the best SE football teams in the past 8 years. A friendly discussion by mostly SE alum or SE fans. A discussion that many high school football fans, parents and former players have when they reunite. Iowa Preps just allows a forum to do it online. These guys aren't bragging about how great they are, rather just reliving some memories and comparing the pros and cons of teams of the past. I imagine a similar discussion is had in Manson and many other communities by former players.

Finally, at 83 years of age Coach Tighe might not always use the most politically correct statement but he meant no disrespect to Manson or any of the other teams we have played. He's a class act and as a former coach, I would bet there are times you said something that didn't quite come out the way you wanted.

Good luck to SE tonight and congrats to Manson on a great season. I for one would not want to play you guys again.

I hate to discredit your post sehoopsfan, but SE is pretty great and Manson was the third best team in a district that was mediocre at best.

Originally posted by captainamerica18:
I hate to discredit your post sehoopsfan, but SE is pretty great and Manson was the third best team in a district that was mediocre at best.
Oh well.

Just an impressive effort by the Gaels tonight. They weren't gonna be denied. South O'Brien had their shots early, but credit Coach Schomberg and his bend-don't break defense
tongue.r191677.gif
as the Gaels rose to the occasion every time.

SO got a break on a running into the punter call that kept their drive alive. They went fast on offense out of their I-form and marched down inside the 20, but the Gaels were able to force 4th down, and the Wolverines elected for the points, settling for 3.

On the very next possession Vinnie Harvey fumbled on just the second play to give SO the short field, but SE forced another 3 and out and this time Schwebach's 31-yd try was no good short.

It was evident early that the Gaels could potentially have a big night on the ground when super sophomore T.J. O'Tool rumbled 63 yds for a score on the 2nd play from scrimmage for SE. O'Tool finished with over 200 yds and 2 TDs on the ground.

Harvey, himself racked up just over 190 yds and 4 TDs, which solidifies him as the top touchdown scorer in school history. (holds records for single season-32, and career rushing TDs-41, and total TDs scored-41...as a fullback)

South O'Brien was a physical team and gets off the ball fast. But they were much smaller than MNW and it served as something of a reprieve for the Gaels in the way they were able to control the LOS for the most part on both sides. SO had their times, particularly in the 2nd qtr where they were stuffing the Gaels, but SE clearly made the proper adjustments at halftime as they came out and marched right down the field for a score to start the 3rd.

The Wolverines did rush for over 250 total yards as they accumulated yards at times between the 20s, but that SE defense stiffened and made plays when they needed to. Two prime examples were first in the 2nd qtr, SO had the ball inside the 20, Nieman took a carry falling towards the 11 and was stripped from behind and the ball flew backwards about 5 yds into the waiting arms of Chad Remsburg of SE. That was the first of two fumbles by the Wolverines in a matter of minutes; the other on an ensuing punt return.
Then later in the game, as SO was trying to finally reach the endzone and getting some good yards per play, Puhrmann fired a desperation heave that was intercepted by Zach Gailey. It's the 4th game SE has kept an opponent out of the endzone. They've held 9 of their 12 opponents to a single score or less.

I do not care what other people say. This is the best st. Ed's team period. NoSE team has done what this team has done.. It does not matter who they have or have not played, this team has gotten it done.. A lot of people talk about coach t. He deserves a lot of credit but SE has some very fine and dedicated coaches. Hats off to the Gaels.

Did anyone expect to see a mercy rule in this SE/SOB game? Sure glad SE beat Manson. It could have been Manson going to the dome.

After watching that game last night, I think it's safe to say this team is the best to ever play at SE. In the big games they have played this year, they have won and, for the most part, won convincingly. This is something that past SE teams have failed to do. Their defense really doesn't have any holes in it and they really get after it and their backfield and line are just as good as any team that we've had in the past. Go Gaels on Saturday!

After watching that game last night, I think it's safe to say this team is the best to ever play at SE. In the big games they have played this year, they have won and, for the most part, won convincingly. This is something that past SE teams have failed to do. Their defense really doesn't have any holes in it and they really get after it and their backfield and line are just as good as any team that we've had in the past. Go Gaels on Saturday!
Other people can argue about that and what constitutes being the best, but how about this angle: most successful team in school history

I've lost track of the number of firsts and records broken by this year's team, and they still have a chance to add onto their chapter in the program's history.

This question can/will never be answered. They will never line up against each other, so who knows. This team has accomplished something no other team has, that is a fact. What impresses me even more about this accomplishment is that of the 22 starting positions on Def and Off, 16 of those players were not at those positions as starters last year. WOW!! Go get em fellas.

Yes, the question will never be answered. But this forum was made to discuss opinions on the best teams at se. Guess no one wanted to speak up...

Yes, the question will never be answered. But this forum was made to discuss opinions on the best teams at se. Guess no one wanted to speak up...
Since you twisted my arm enough I'll throw this out there looking at the 4 teams we discussed the most:

1) 2013
2) 2008
3) 2005
4) 2011
This post was edited on 11/11 1:52 PM by CP84

No debate at all. If you think that since this years st eds team is ranked by bcmoore as one of the top teams in all classes, that they would actually beat most of those 2a, 3a, and 4a teams that they're ranked ahead of, then well I guess I think you are one crazy person.

Originally posted by hawks127:
2A > 1A and there is no debate.
You know I agree with you, but there's an argument to be made for the fact that a number of those teams SE faced when they were in 2A back then have also dropped to 1A.

Interesting note, SE has faced Emmetsburg in three different playoff classes (3A, 2A, 1A).

As for 2A > 1A, it's all relative, as the saying goes. This year's MNW team was probably one of their best of the past decade.

I hope to God Vogter has enough sense to not make a blanket statement that 2A is always better than 1A. The teams that were 2A may have been better, maybe not. If they were, it wasn't because they were in 2A. Cmon man.

To all my friends down in FD, is there a changing of the guard at Saint Edmond? Is the basketball school becoming a football school?

I don't think there is a changing of the guard at Saint Edmond. Saint Edmond has had a solid football program since Dick Tighe took over the program from Anliker in 2002. What has happened is the route the Dome has gotten easier. AP and Emmetsburg don't have the football programs that they once had. Basketball is still "King" at Saint Edmond, but there are some big questions to answer in this year's team.

Originally posted by GoingDeep410:
I don't think there is a changing of the guard at Saint Edmond. Saint Edmond has had a solid football program since Dick Tighe took over the program from Anliker in 2002. What has happened is the route the Dome has gotten easier. AP and Emmetsburg don't have the football programs that they once had. Basketball is still "King" at Saint Edmond, but there are some big questions to answer in this year's team.
Why do you keep bringing up AP? They were in SE's same region (playoffs) for 2 years. ('08, '09)

They've had nothing to do with SE since they played in '08.

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:

Originally posted by GoingDeep410:
Why do you keep bringing up AP? They were in SE's same region (playoffs) for 2 years. ('08, '09)

They've had nothing to do with SE since they played in '08.
Also, the comprehensive all class ranking has more 1A teams in the top 50 than 2008 did. People are often driven by subjective analysis and assume that since AP and E-berg are down this year the whole class is easier. It's easily proven not to be the case.

Not sure how much stock should be placed in these comprehensive rankings. It's pretty tacit that as the class gets bigger the competition increases tremendously. While the top team in 1a may very well be able to compete in other classes, the talent (by definition) is just deeper when you have more students. Essentially, The 4th and 5th best teams in a 2a district are usually on a totally different level than the 2nd and 3rd best teams in 1a. At lest that is what most "football people" have concluded after years of experience.

Let's take a look at this. This year Sioux Central will be playing Kuemper in the 2A state semifinal game. Sioux Central is 10-2 this year. One of their losses came to South Obrien, whom St. Eds beat 42-3. If you are saying that St. Eds couldn't compete you are foolish.

SE is clearly a top team in 1a. My point is that if you were to take the middle 50% of teams in each class, I believe there would be stark differences in the quality.

I would hope that tighe would let someone else take over next year since he finnally nade it to the championship game! It is kind of sad that someone his age needs to keep coaching this long!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT