ADVERTISEMENT

SE Football

I realize that cp3o,but like paterno and several other coaches,college,pro or high school,they should do the honorable thing and step aside and let someone else have a chance! That being said now would be a perfect time!!!!

Originally posted by warriors dad:
I realize that cp3o,but like paterno and several other coaches,college,pro or high school,they should do the honorable thing and step aside and let someone else have a chance! That being said now would be a perfect time!!!!
If someone builds a company up from the ground should they hand it off to somebody else just because they are at a high? How about an author that is old, but still one of the best at writing books? Should they quit just because they are on top? Especially if coaching is something they love. You retire to do things you love, if you're already doing them why retire? If he can still lead kids and make a difference in their lives on and off the field, then don't worry about him needing to step down. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

I would be shocked if he retired. His wife has passed, the only reason I can fathom is to go watch his son coach. I don't speak to Coach much, passing conversation, but I hope he stays and keeps getting SE 7+ wins a year. I can only hope that I can keep coaching as long as I WANT to. What about the kids? If he is the best thing for the KIDS shouldn't he be the one doing it? Quite possibly, that is why he is in the position he is in. He is doing it to help them accomplish THEIR goals, not him accomplishing his.

Originally posted by warriors dad:
I would hope that tighe would let someone else take over next year since he finnally nade it to the championship game! It is kind of sad that someone his age needs to keep coaching this long!
Trollin' ain't easy....

I know a few people said that they would hold off on comparing SE teams until the end of the season. Does anyone want to chip in now on their opinions of the best teams in school history? Not taking anything away from se but I still believe there have been better teams over the years, taking out the "this team was most successful so that means they are the best" card. Great season for the Gaels. Left their mark in school history for sure.

Originally posted by cowpie57:
I know a few people said that they would hold off on comparing SE teams until the end of the season. Does anyone want to chip in now on their opinions of the best teams in school history? Not taking anything away from se but I still believe there have been better teams over the years, taking out the "this team was most successful so that means they are the best" card. Great season for the Gaels. Left their mark in school history for sure.
I still don't know how this can be quantified. If SE played Regina close I'd say they were for sure but losing like that makes it more murky. It's hard enough to make that argument about two teams that haven't played during the same season. Would 2013 SE beat Wilton or NFV? At least in that case we have reasonable data to make some informed predictions but it's still a tough call at best. I'd say the 2013 team will be remembered as the best in the last decade until someone else makes the finals and accomplishes the same undefeated streak.

What I will say is that O'Toole will be considered the best running back at SE and Peed the best receiver in the last decade. It's just too bad they didn't have a few bigger guys up front and a QB like Engler. Engler to Peed with O'Toole running the ball would have been great to watch.

Again, I am not looking for a statistical reading, just an opinionated answer. I believe someone stated earlier on this thread that there is no way that this gaels defense would give up 42 points to a west marshall team in 2011, a statement that I still disagree with, especially after todays game. I have also heard that this Regina team is down from years past which would add to that belief.

Not sure how you can argue Regina is down. They've destroyed everyone including Solon who was a 3A semi finalist. This Regina team is better than that West Marshall team. I'd rank this SE team as the best. They beat several ranked teams (Manson, South OBrien, Van Meter and class A Garrigan). They only had one loss to a superb program.

I have many sources in Iowa City and they have told me that this is the weakest Regina team in the past 3 or 4 years. If I remember right, Im pretty sure DT brought it up earlier that this Regina team is down from years past also. I watched 1a football all year long and the quality of football just wasn't where it has been in the past. I still believe that a Ferch or a Wellick would eat up this years se's defense. From what I saw today, I would take many of the teams that took out st eds in the playoffs in the past over this years Regina team.

The AP and Eberg teams that beat SE when Engler played wouldn't hold a candle to this Regina team. Cook would have lit AP's defense up.

I would wait to crown O'Toole the best of the best, he has 2 years left. He is certainly very good but durability will be part of the overall game. We have had some realy good backs over the years and he is in good company. Peed is also a very good receiver but there have been other very good receivers- Condon, Baedke, J Flattery and all of them athletic like Peed. I played with all the above and all were different in strengths. I also played two years with Engler and he threw the best ball I have seen. It helps having his size and arm strength. I think next year looks good for the Gaels depending on strength of schools in district.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT