#6 Regina @ #5 Dike-NH
#3 Western Christian @ #7 West Lyon
#17 Aplington-Parkersburg @ #21 Osage
#16 Mediapolis @ #14 Sigourney-Keota

#19 South Hardin @ #16 North Linn
#25 Pella Christian @ #24 I-35
#12 Mt Ayr @ #13 ACGC

Games in bold will decide (help resolve) district championships

Mepo @ SK can be heard at www.thedogcast.com if interested on how that game is going. Kick off 7:30 moved JV game to before game

Here’s my shot at potential matchups through week 8 and another RPI release. I’m taking SK and I35 to win their districts in week 9.

District champs:
West Sioux
West Branch
Van Meter
DNH
SSC
Treynor
SK
Osage
I35

At-large:
Western Christian
West Lyon
Mount Ayr
Regina
Panorama
Underwood
North Linn

Potential matchups:
*Parentheses is where I think the nine district champs will finish in the final RPI. Obviously there will be at-large teams finishing ahead of district champs, but since they get to host, that’s how I think those 9 will finish.

I-35 (9) @ Van Meter (1)
Regina @ Osage (8)

Panorama @ DNH (4)
Western Christian @ SSC (5)

Underwood @ West Sioux (3)
West Lyon @ Treynor (6)

North Linn @ West Branch (2)
Mount Ayr @ SK (7)

Charles, those are pretty fair.

I could see Regina going to Van Meter in Rd 1 and Pella Christian (if they win) going to Osage.

Reactions: Charles86
Regina at SK and Mt. Ayr at Van Meter makes more sense geographically for the first round.

I completely agree geography wise. I just didn’t put Mount Ayr with VM bc of them being in the same district and I think the state wants to avoid those in the first round unless it’s a dire situation.

Charles, those are pretty fair.

I could see Regina going to Van Meter in Rd 1 and Pella Christian (if they win) going to Osage.

If RPI means anything (which the IHSAA says it does), they should not match up the 2 lowest RPI champions this year. They did that in 2018 with West Sioux and Treynor because WS was #9 and Treynor was #11 in the final RPI standings and Treynor (the lowest RPI champion in 2018) was much closer to WS than to Osage (the #8 last year).

This year, the lowest champion in the RPI rankings will most likely be #16. So again if RPI means anything, then the #16 seed (most likely the champion from either District 3 or 7) should be traveling to either the overall #1 or #2 seed in the first round.

It doesn't make much sense according to the RPI to match #14 or 15 vs. #16 in the 1st Round.

So whoever is the lowest RPI champion, I would expect them to have to travel to one of the top 2 seeded champions this year.

Reactions: Pinehawk
If RPI means anything (which the IHSAA says it does), they should not match up the 2 lowest RPI champions this year. They did that in 2018 with West Sioux and Treynor because WS was #9 and Treynor was #11 in the final RPI standings and Treynor (the lowest RPI champion in 2018) was much closer to WS than to Osage (the #8 last year).

This year, the lowest champion in the RPI rankings will most likely be #16. So again if RPI means anything, then the #16 seed (most likely the champion from either District 3 or 7) should be traveling to either the overall #1 or #2 seed in the first round.

It doesn't make much sense according to the RPI to match #14 or 15 vs. #16 in the 1st Round.

So whoever is the lowest RPI champion, I would expect them to have to travel to one of the top 2 seeded champions this year.

Which is why I have I35 going to top RPI Van Meter. But your point is a really good one.

Reactions: GitRDone_51
I think district champs get 1-9 seeds based on RPI then 10-16 seed at-large based on RPI
Even if it sets up a bunch of rematches 1st round?
Even if it's teams from opposite corners of the state?
Does #9 automatically play at 2nd lowest district champ?

I don't see it happening that way, but the protocol on the website is tough to determine, but could be interpreted that way.

Last edited:
District champions are 1-9 seeds. Last year the 9th seed (Pella Christian) went to 7th seed (Wilton ) for the first game. So it does not mean 8 versus 9 but 2 of the lower 3. Osage was 8 last year.
I would say the winner of Mepo/SK game will host the winner of the PC/I35 game. I would guess they will be put in with WB for the next game since they are rated that high.

Here’s my shot at potential matchups through week 8 and another RPI release. I’m taking SK and I35 to win their districts in week 9.

District champs:
West Sioux
West Branch
Van Meter
DNH
SSC
Treynor
SK
Osage
I35

At-large:
Western Christian
West Lyon
Mount Ayr
Regina
Panorama
Underwood
North Linn

Potential matchups:
*Parentheses is where I think the nine district champs will finish in the final RPI. Obviously there will be at-large teams finishing ahead of district champs, but since they get to host, that’s how I think those 9 will finish.

I-35 (9) @ Van Meter (1)
Regina @ Osage (8)

Panorama @ DNH (4)
Western Christian @ SSC (5)

Underwood @ West Sioux (3)
West Lyon @ Treynor (6)

North Linn @ West Branch (2)
Mount Ayr @ SK (7)
Pretty solid imo, only thing is of DNH and WC win, then it’s nearly a 4 hour drive for whoever they make travel but it may be impossible to keep a long drive at some point in the first two rounds with all the spread of teams.

Reactions: Charles86
Pretty solid imo, only thing is of DNH and WC win, then it’s nearly a 4 hour drive for whoever they make travel but it may be impossible to keep a long drive at some point in the first two rounds with all the spread of teams.

Yeah it’s a bit tough with the layout of some of the teams. I guess maybe you could have Western at West Sioux and then Underwood at SSC but I wanted to try and avoid at all costs having D1 with any rematches in the first round.

Yeah it’s a bit tough with the layout of some of the teams. I guess maybe you could have Western at West Sioux and then Underwood at SSC but I wanted to try and avoid at all costs having D1 with any rematches in the first round.
Or will ISHSAA quasi admit they f'd up the RPI concept and do what makes sense. There are still a significant number of records and RPI that aren't apple's to apple's. Not a regina person but if they remove xavier from the schedule with a marginal 1A, they move to the top of the RPI.

Personally think southwest and northwest AS A WHOLE (excluding WC and WL) are weak. Make everyone play all non district in the same class or better yet, have a multiplier. Long story short, I personally think the districts with the most qualifiers won't come out as the best districts in playoffs. And again the VM district sucks as I've called all year. ACGC was proven to be woeful, Mt. Ayr is not much better. Panorama...meh. they all played a bunch of average A school's and the RPI calc sucks in figuring that in accurately.

Or will ISHSAA quasi admit they f'd up the RPI concept and do what makes sense. There are still a significant number of records and RPI that aren't apple's to apple's. Not a regina person but if they remove xavier from the schedule with a marginal 1A, they move to the top of the RPI.

Personally think southwest and northwest AS A WHOLE (excluding WC and WL) are weak. Make everyone play all non district in the same class or better yet, have a multiplier. Long story short, I personally think the districts with the most qualifiers won't come out as the best districts in playoffs. And again the VM district sucks as I've called all year. ACGC was proven to be woeful, Mt. Ayr is not much better. Panorama...meh. they all played a bunch of average A school's and the RPI calc sucks in figuring that in accurately.
Having every team only play games in their class wouldn’t work regarding all sorts of rivalries. I think a multiplier would be best.

Reactions: WBBearsFollower

NW Iowa is weak? D1 is the best district in 1A and 2A.

Reactions: FootballFan1009
Always been flaws since the 70's. Every successful program has had those teams that could of won playoff games but got left out.

This is how I have it today. I put travel time. Avoided 1st round rematches. I don't like the West Lyon an Western Christian travel times, but in order to avoid rematches they have to travel.

1 Van Meter vs North Linn 16 2 hours 31 minutes
2 West Branch vs Regina 14 13 minutes
3 West Sioux vs Underwood 13 2 hours 19 minutes
4 DNH vs Panorama 11 2 hours 18 minutes
5 SCC vs Mt Ayr 15 2 hours 34 minutes
6 Treynor vs West Lyon 10 2 hours 56 minutes
7 SK vs PC 9 50 minutes
8 Osage vs Western Christian 12 3 hours 26 minutes

Reactions: Beaverball14
I think district champs get 1-9 seeds based on RPI then 10-16 seed at-large based on RPI

This was not the case last year. If you look at it, the IHSAA set up the brackets so there was at least a chance to follow the RPI in the quarterfinals. If you just take the RPI standings as they are and don't "re-rank" the district champions above the at-large qualifiers then #1 SCC vs. #9 West Sioux, #2 Bellevue vs. #8 PC, #3 I-35 vs. #6 DNH and #4 VM vs. #5 WB. Stayed pretty true to the rankings so a long answer to say I don't believe the re-rank the champions above the at-large qualifiers and I don't believe it says that anywhere in the post-season manual for determining pairings. It says they will stay "as close to a 'true' bracketing format using the RPI".

IHSAA Post-Season Manual - 1st Round Pairings:
  • District Champions have the opportunity to host
  • In Classes 3A, 2A, and 1A, one district champion with the lowest RPI will be a traveling team.
  • All attempts will be made to avoid champions and runner-ups from the same district playing in the first round.
  • Champions and additional qualifiers from the same district beside the runner-ups could be assigned to play each other in the first round.
  • Preset brackets will be made for the playoffs through the quarterfinals.
  • All attempts will be made to create as close to a “true” bracketing format using the RPI to seed to the first two rounds.
  • Geography will be the final factor when creating brackets.

This was not the case last year. If you look at it, the IHSAA set up the brackets so there was at least a chance to follow the RPI in the quarterfinals. If you just take the RPI standings as they are and don't "re-rank" the district champions above the at-large qualifiers then #1 SCC vs. #9 West Sioux, #2 Bellevue vs. #8 PC, #3 I-35 vs. #6 DNH and #4 VM vs. #5 WB. Stayed pretty true to the rankings so a long answer to say I don't believe the re-rank the champions above the at-large qualifiers and I don't believe it says that anywhere in the post-season manual for determining pairings. It says they will stay "as close to a 'true' bracketing format using the RPI".

IHSAA Post-Season Manual - 1st Round Pairings:
  • District Champions have the opportunity to host
  • In Classes 3A, 2A, and 1A, one district champion with the lowest RPI will be a traveling team.
  • All attempts will be made to avoid champions and runner-ups from the same district playing in the first round.
  • Champions and additional qualifiers from the same district beside the runner-ups could be assigned to play each other in the first round.
  • Preset brackets will be made for the playoffs through the quarterfinals.
  • All attempts will be made to create as close to a “true” bracketing format using the RPI to seed to the first two rounds.
  • Geography will be the final factor when creating brackets.
Think about it though ALL but one district champ gets a home game. So yes the top 8 seeds are district winners. If top 4 district winners advance they host a 2nd game. Each bracket of 4 has 4 teams ranked 1-4. Top 2 are district winners and host a 2nd round game based on that ranking. SO even though they will be the 15th and 16th highest RPI team the district 3 or 7 winner will host a 1st round game and will host a quarterfinal game if the #1 in their bracket loses. What they mean by a "true" bracket is having the Highest RPI ( I think will be West Lyon at 5) at large face the 3rd lowest RPI district champ (I have SK at 13). That won't happen with a 5 1/2 hour drive, so go to the next lowest which is treynor at 10. This is my reasoning for picking 1st round matchups. So even though it doesn't say they re-rank them they have too. It says brackets are made through the quarterfinals.

This is how I have it today. I put travel time. Avoided 1st round rematches. I don't like the West Lyon an Western Christian travel times, but in order to avoid rematches they have to travel.

__
3 West Sioux vs Underwood 13 2 hours 1 minutes
__
__
7 SK vs PC 9 50 minutes

How would those pairing be grouped into 4's? Like above?

Think about it though ALL but one district champ gets a home game. So yes the top 8 seeds are district winners. If top 4 district winners advance they host a 2nd game. Each bracket of 4 has 4 teams ranked 1-4. Top 2 are district winners and host a 2nd round game based on that ranking. SO even though they will be the 15th and 16th highest RPI team the district 3 or 7 winner will host a 1st round game and will host a quarterfinal game if the #1 in their bracket loses. What they mean by a "true" bracket is having the Highest RPI ( I think will be West Lyon at 5) at large face the 3rd lowest RPI district champ (I have SK at 13). That won't happen with a 5 1/2 hour drive, so go to the next lowest which is treynor at 10. This is my reasoning for picking 1st round matchups. So even though it doesn't say they re-rank them they have too. It says brackets are made through the quarterfinals.

You are talking about the two different things in the eyes of the IHSAA...pairs vs. site assignments.

The district winners (other than the lowest RPI district champion) get to host a 1st Round game...it does not mean they are the top 8 RPI "seeds".

For example, there is a good possibility that even if Western Christian wins tomorrow night, the top 4 in the RPI will be Van Meter, Western Christian, West Branch, and West Sioux, with DNH finishing in the #5 spot. (And even if you disagree with this and say WS will drop below DNH so the top 4 will all be district champions, let's just agree to disagree on this point for now.)

So West Sioux would be in the Top 4 and thus would HAVE to be in a different pod than VM, WC or WB, even though they are a district runner-up. But even though WS would be assigned to a pod away from the other Top 3 seeds, WS would have to travel to a District Champion even though they would be a lower seed than West Sioux...let's just say Treynor (who would be a lower seeded district champion). And let's just say WS beats Treynor in that 1st round game, then WS would get to host the Quarterfinal game no matter because they would be the highest remaining seed left in their pod what since they finished in the Top 4.

Again...from the IHSAA Post-Season Manual:
SITE ASSIGNMENTS
CLASSES 4-A, 3-A, 2-A, 1-A, A, 8-PLAYER
For the first round games:
  • The RPI at the end of week 9 will be used to determine site assignments for first round contests.
  • When a district champion plays a district champion, the district champion with the highest RPI will be the home team.
  • When a district champion plays an at-large qualifier, the district champion will be the home team.

For the quarterfinal-round games:
  • The RPI at the end of week 9 will be used to determine site assignments for quarterfinal round contests.

How would those pairing be grouped into 4's? Like above?
Thanks forgot to do that

7 SK vs PC 9 50 minutes

3 West Sioux vs Underwood 13 2 hours 19 minutes

You are talking about the two different things in the eyes of the IHSAA...pairs vs. site assignments.

The district winners (other than the lowest RPI district champion) get to host a 1st Round game...it does not mean they are the top 8 RPI "seeds".

For example, there is a good possibility that even if Western Christian wins tomorrow night, the top 4 in the RPI will be Van Meter, Western Christian, West Branch, and West Sioux, with DNH finishing in the #5 spot. (And even if you disagree with this and say WS will drop below DNH so the top 4 will all be district champions, let's just agree to disagree on this point for now.)

So West Sioux would be in the Top 4 and thus would HAVE to be in a different pod than VM, WC or WB, even though they are a district runner-up. But even though WS would be assigned to a pod away from the other Top 3 seeds, WS would have to travel to a District Champion even though they would be a lower seed than West Sioux...let's just say Treynor (who would be a lower seeded district champion). And let's just say WS beats Treynor in that 1st round game, then WS would get to host the Quarterfinal game no matter because they would be the highest remaining seed left in their pod what since they finished in the Top 4.

Again...from the IHSAA Post-Season Manual:
SITE ASSIGNMENTS
CLASSES 4-A, 3-A, 2-A, 1-A, A, 8-PLAYER
For the first round games:
  • The RPI at the end of week 9 will be used to determine site assignments for first round contests.
  • When a district champion plays a district champion, the district champion with the highest RPI will be the home team.
  • When a district champion plays an at-large qualifier, the district champion will be the home team.

For the quarterfinal-round games:
  • The RPI at the end of week 9 will be used to determine site assignments for quarterfinal round contests.

Which is all to just say that I simply don't believe they are going to pair up the two District Champions with the lowest RPIs this year. In the most likely scenarios left out there, it would mean the #15 seed would get to host the #16 seed according to the RPI. I just don't believe the IHSAA will do that nor do I think there is any type of bracketing for a 16 team tournament that ever pairs up the #15 vs. the #16 in the first round. In "true" bracketing, #1 vs. #16 and #2 vs. #15 if at all possible. That's all I'm saying after all that. Show me something that looks similar to that without rearranging the RPI standings as they are published by the IHSAA and I'll give that serious consideration.

If it were true seeding, the winner of SK and Mepo would be travelling to Dike or somewhere in NW Iowa. They're probably the 12/13 seed.

So far, SK's 4 out of district opponents have won 7 games......COMBINED. out of a possible 32. That's about as weak as it gets.

Reactions: Beaverball14
If it were true seeding, the winner of SK and Mepo would be travelling to Dike or somewhere in NW Iowa. They're probably the 12/13 seed.

So far, SK's 4 out of district opponents have won 7 games......COMBINED. out of a possible 32. That's about as weak as it gets.

Or Panorama (district runner-up) as the 6 or 7 goes to SK (district champion) as the 12 or 13...pretty close.

It is not going to be exactly true seeding but the IHSAA again has stated they will as close to "true" bracketing as they can. And with that said, again I just don't believe they will match up the #16 (which will be the lowest RPI district champion) with the #14 or #15. That just makes no sense in any type of bracketing situation.

"Personally think southwest and northwest AS A WHOLE (excluding WC and WL) are weak."

DCAHawk just poked the Bear

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT