7 At Large:

Western Christian
West Lyon
Regina
Panorama
Underwood
Mt Ayr
North Linn

Wow. That looks like a geographical nightmare for the IHSAA to figure out. Couldn't happen to a nicer group.

From that list the matchups could look like (projected seeding in parenthesis):

(5) West Lyon at (3) West Sioux
(6) Western Christian at (7) SCC

(8) Panorama at (10) Treynor
(16) Pella Christian at (13) SK

(15) AP at (4) Dike NH
(14) North Linn at (2) West Branch

(12) Mt Ayr at (9) Underwood
(10) Regina at (1) Van Meter

Playoff teams based upon rankings and predictions

9 District Champs:

West Sioux
SCC
AP
West Branch
SK
Dike NH
Pella Christian
Van Meter
Treynor

7 At Large:

Western Christian
West Lyon
Regina
Panorama
Underwood
Mt Ayr
North Linn

Agree with this list. But, i know nothing about Osage/AP. That could be a coin flip.

Reactions: GoEagles23
Does Unity Christian pull off the reverse miracle 5-4 at large bid? Their SOS is off the charts good. It will be really close.

Does Unity Christian pull off the reverse miracle 5-4 at large bid? Their SOS is off the charts good. It will be really close.

With the 2 district champs outside of the top 16 RPI there is nearly no chance for Unity to get in.

7 Western @ 3 West Sioux
5 West Lyon @ 6 SSC
___

9 Underwood @ 1 Van Meter
8 Panorama @ 10 Treynor
___

12 Mount Ayr @ 16 Pella Christian
13 Sigourney Keota @ 2 West Branch
___

11 Regina @ 4 Dike New Hartford
14 North Linn @ 15 AP

Last edited:
Will the state only make one district champion travel? Or is there the possibility more than one might have to travel?

Let me re-phrase that...can/would the state make more than one district champion travel?

Last edited:
Let me re-phrase that...can/would the state make more than one district champion travel?
I don't think so. I think the fact that the top 8 get home games comes higher in the rules than seeding by RPI or geographical considerations.

This is from the IAHSAA website

In Classes 3A, 2A, and 1A, one district champion with the lowest RPI will be a traveling team.

It looks like District 7 will have the lowest ranked RPI District winner with I-35 and Pella Christian both below District 3 winner AP/Osage

From the IAHSAA site:
"When a district champion plays an at-large qualifier, the district champion will be the home team."
"In Classes 3A, 2A, and 1A, one district champion with the lowest RPI will be a traveling team."

Second year in a row D7 comes down to I35 and PC. Last year the Roadrunners won at PC. Can the Eagles return the favor? Whoever wins will be on the road in the first round as the lowest RPI district champ.

My thoughts about this years playoffs is....I have no freaking idea. I’ve looked at 4-8 different options and I don’t like any of them. Good Luck to the gray hairs in boone, I’m sure they will screw it up.

Games of note for Week 9

#6 Regina @ #5 Dike-NH
#3 Western Christian @ #7 West Lyon
#17 Aplington-Parkersburg @ #21 Osage
#16 Mediapolis @ #14 Sigourney-Keota

#19 South Hardin @ #16 North Linn
#25 Pella Christian @ #24 I-35
#12 Mt Ayr @ #13 ACGC

Games in bold will decide (help resolve) district championships
Dike
Never seen either of these two play
No one cares... but AP
See above... but MDPO. Don't think either team is great.
See above but NL... good individual athletes on both teams
PC... neither team is good
My Ayr

Just generally not a fan of teams that exclusively rely on the run (SK and ACGC). They will get exposed by quality 1A teams. Having said that, their games could go either way this week since they are playing mediocre competition.

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
Games of note for Week 9

#6 Regina @ #5 Dike-NH
#3 Western Christian @ #7 West Lyon
#17 Aplington-Parkersburg @ #21 Osage
#16 Mediapolis @ #14 Sigourney-Keota

#19 South Hardin @ #16 North Linn
#25 Pella Christian @ #24 I-35
#12 Mt Ayr @ #13 ACGC

Games in bold will decide (help resolve) district championships
Dike will win by 17-21
Western Christian
I think Osage wins rather handily
Mediapolis
North Linn
PC
Mt Ayr

Wow. That looks like a geographical nightmare for the IHSAA to figure out. Couldn't happen to a nicer group.

From that list the matchups could look like (projected seeding in parenthesis):

(5) West Lyon at (3) West Sioux
(6) Western Christian at (7) SCC

(8) Panorama at (10) Treynor
(16) Pella Christian at (13) SK

(15) AP at (4) Dike NH
(14) North Linn at (2) West Branch

(12) Mt Ayr at (9) Underwood
(10) Regina at (1) Van Meter

If your seeding predictions are how everything shakes out, I think the state will need to figure out a way to not have four top ten seeded teams (two top five) in the same grouping. I know geography will play some roll, but I think they really need to try to avoid having (3) West Sioux playing (5) West Lyon first round

Also, need to avoid having two low seeded teams playing first round in (16) Pella Christian at (13) SK

7 Western @ 3 West Sioux
5 West Lyon @ 6 SSC
___

9 Underwood @ 1 Van Meter
8 Panorama @ 8 Panorama
___

12 Mount Ayr @ 16 Pella Christian
13 Sigourney Keota @ 2 West Branch
___

11 Regina @ 4 Dike New Hartford
14 North Linn @ 15 AP
Is that a guarantee victory USF?

If your seeding predictions are how everything shakes out, I think the state will need to figure out a way to not have four top ten seeded teams (two top five) in the same grouping. I know geography will play some roll, but I think they really need to try to avoid having (3) West Sioux playing (5) West Lyon first round

Also, need to avoid having two low seeded teams playing first round in (16) Pella Christian at (13) SK

Wouldn't be hard to seperate. Whoever the #2 seed is would travel to Treynor and #1 seed hosts Underwood while the #3 seed goes to SCC which will be the higher of the #1 seeds between SCC and Treynor. Limits travel to 120 miles or so and seperates the three teams in district 1 until at least the quarterfinals. Isn't the purpose of the RPI/playoffs to get the best teams to the Dome? Pretty hard to do that if all you are worried about is geography. Maybe D1 is as good as everyone says, maybe they aren't but sure seems unfair to make them all play each other again. The playoffs are supposed to be about playing teams you don't normally see and finding out how your area does against everyone else. I could see limiting travel if the games are on Monday yet but isn't that part of the reason they switched everything to Fridays. I'm sure the West Sioux boys will be ready to play anyone the state puts in front of them but the state does a terrible injustice to NW Iowa if those three teams are all placed together in my humble opinion. Let's let the kids figure it out on the field not let geography dictate who gets to Cedar Falls. Like I said maybe District 1 falls flat on it's face but let the boys decide. That's the way it should happen

Last edited:
D6 with 4 teams in the top 20 of the RPI. Looks like D6 and D1 may be the only Districts with 3 teams qualifying for the post season.

Wouldn't be hard to seperate. Whoever the #2 seed is would travel to Treynor and #1 seed hosts Underwood while the #3 seed goes to SCC which will be the higher of the #1 seeds between SCC and Treynor. Limits travel to 120 miles or so and seperates the three teams in district 1 until at least the quarterfinals. Isn't the purpose of the RPI/playoffs to get the best teams to the Dome? Pretty hard to do that if all you are worried about is geography. Maybe D1 is as good as everyone says, maybe they aren't but sure seems unfair to make them all play each other again. The playoffs are supposed to be about playing teams you don't normally see and finding out how your area does against everyone else. I could see limiting travel if the games are on Monday yet but isn't that part of the reason they switched everything to Fridays. I'm sure the West Sioux boys will be ready to play anyone the state puts in front of them but the state does a terrible injustice to NW Iowa if those three teams are all placed together in my humble opinion. Let's let the kids figure it out on the field not let geography dictate who gets to Cedar Falls. Like I said maybe District 1 falls flat on it's face but let the boys decide. That's the way it should happen

The issue with that scenario is who would be the other 2 in the pod with D1 #3 and SSC? Panorama and Van Meter? They were district champ and runner up from same district and cant play 1st round. The next closest team would probably be AP which is over 3.5 hours away.

I assume you are talking about Western @ West Lyon. I simply used bcmoore predictions to make seedings. And bcmoore predict West Lyon over Western.

Reactions: rk#5
The issue with that scenario is who would be the other 2 in the pod with D1 #3 and SSC? Panorama and Van Meter? They were district champ and runner up from same district and cant play 1st round. The next closest team would probably be AP which is over 3.5 hours away.
Correct however once you get to the quarterfinals there is almost always travel involved which goes back to my point of letting the kids decide not geography. That also assumes that the #3 seed defeats SCC and then they would be the one travelling. I bet if you would ask WL, WS, or Western if they were the #3 seed and got to play outside of their district but it meant they would have to potentially travel 3.5 hours to play in the quarterfinals they would jump at the chance to play outside their district and travel a long distance the next game if they won. So I guess I don't see the problem considering it would be the #3 seed in District 1 that would potentially be doing the travelling.

Maybe we need neutral site first round games...seed the participants by RPI and select a site half way between them...yes, I know that's tough to do with one week notice, but it doesn't have to be a select site, just a willing 1A or 1A with the right geography. So, West Lyon and Mepo can meet without concerns about geography ;-)

West Lyon is no stranger to neutral-site playoff games. Over the years, they've played early-round games at Emmetsburg (West Hancock), Denison (St. Albert), Sergeant Bluff (St. Albert twice), Sioux Center (MMC, Western Christian), Cherokee (Southern Cal), and Storm Lake (Logan-Magnolia).

Couldn't agree any more. If you are gonna use the RPI to determine seeding let your seeding determine the pairings, not geography.

Maybe we need neutral site first round games...seed the participants by RPI and select a site half way between them...yes, I know that's tough to do with one week notice, but it doesn't have to be a select site, just a willing 1A or 1A with the right geography. So, West Lyon and Mepo can meet without concerns about geography ;-)
I like the idea of neutral site games. My only stipulation would be that the field isn't truly halfway between the teams. I would like a situation where the higher seeded teams gets a shorter travel time than the lower seeded team, that way they still get some kind of "home field advantage" Maybe try to find something where the higher seeded team has 1/3 the travel time.

Couldn't agree any more. If you are gonna use the RPI to determine seeding let your seeding determine the pairings, not geography.
The BIG problem with neutral sites is:
  • Field conditions in November
  • Putting twice as many fans on the road during harvest/potential adverse weather.
  • Finding neutral sites that want to do it: takes a lot of volunteers to host 2 teams that no one local wants to watch, especially if their team is playing somewhere else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT