ADVERTISEMENT

RPI in lower classes

The reason one district in A only had five teams is because Grand View Christian decided to drop football in the middle of the two-year cycle. I take your point, and I agree one size doesn’t fit all, but it wasn’t the state’s fault that district had just five teams this year.

Reactions: franky1967
I would suggest that for RPI purposes, they adjust a difference in classification by two wins per class. If a 2A team plays a 5-4 3A team, they get credit for a game against a 7-2 2A team. Or if they play a 5-4 A team (2 classes down), they get credit for a game against a 1-8 2A team. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a BETTER representation of the strength of a team's opponents. It would make creating the RPI ranking more complex, but it's not a difficult fix for anyone who knows how to use Excel, and those can be entered before the season begins with no need for weekly readjustments to program.

I'm also curious about what the IHSAA will do with 4A districts next round when the new Waukee high school comes into existence in year 2.

I'm also curious about what the IHSAA will do with 4A districts next round when the new Waukee high school comes into existence in year 2.
Was not aware of this and not sure how Waukee is planning on transitioning into the new district. If like the IC Liberty model, it could be several years before the district is at 4A enrollment level.

When Ankeny and Centennial split, they were both 4A right away, and I believe Waukee currently has a higher enrollment at the HS than when Ankeny split, so I would guess that both Waukee schools will be 4A immediately.

When Ankeny and Centennial split, they were both 4A right away, and I believe Waukee currently has a higher enrollment at the HS than when Ankeny split, so I would guess that both Waukee schools will be 4A immediately.
This. They will both be 4A. They are already split for 9th grade, with one being pretty strong and the other not very good.

I believe that happened when Centennial opened. One year, a district had just 5 teams. The next year there were six with the addition of Centennial. That first year, it was Top 4 that made playoffs (32 qualifiers) and Mason City got in at 1-8. They won 1 district game and that earned them a playoff spot.

I believe that happened when Centennial opened. One year, a district had just 5 teams. The next year there were six with the addition of Centennial. That first year, it was Top 4 that made playoffs (32 qualifiers) and Mason City got in at 1-8. They won 1 district game and that earned them a playoff spot.
I talked to someone that would know, and that's what they will do with the new Waukee high school. There will be an open spot in one 4A district the first year, and the other 5 teams will have a week 0 game.

So does that mean someone will drop down to 3A next year? I think Burlington and Des Moines Hoover are at the bottom of the 4A beds.

So does that mean someone will drop down to 3A next year? I think Burlington and Des Moines Hoover are at the bottom of the 4A beds.

I doubt it. I would be willing to bet that the IAHSAA will push 4A back to 48 teams (After Waukee Northwest opens in 2021) Plus Iowa City Liberty is already 4A by BEDS numbers, so they should be up by next year as well.

If you look at the most recent BEDS (and save a spot for Waukee NW) expanding 4A back to 48 would add 2 good teams (North Scott and Lewis Central) and 4 really bad teams (DM Hoover, Burlington, Waterloo East, and Clinton). I think this factors in and they don't expand back to 48. Keeping it at 42 adds Waukee NW and Iowa City Liberty while dropping Burlington and DM Hoover. 4A becomes slightly more competitive that way.

If you look at the most recent BEDS (and save a spot for Waukee NW) expanding 4A back to 48 would add 2 good teams (North Scott and Lewis Central) and 4 really bad teams (DM Hoover, Burlington, Waterloo East, and Clinton). I think this factors in and they don't expand back to 48. Keeping it at 42 adds Waukee NW and Iowa City Liberty while dropping Burlington and DM Hoover. 4A becomes slightly more competitive that way.
Waterloo East will not survive in 4A Football, it will ruin any progress they made this year

Reactions: mthawkeyes
If anything, 4A should get smaller or they need a 5A. Why does Boone not look at what is happening to 4A football and do something about it? When there are 93-7 and 90-0 games and they'll be huge playoff blowouts, something needs to change.

Reactions: areukiddingme
When do any changes to classification, district alignment and play off format get released by the state? When do schedules get determined?

When do any changes to classification, district alignment, and playoff format get released by the state? When do schedules get determined?

Last time around the IHSAA announced the changes to the class format in late October 2017 and then released all team schedules and district assignments in late March 2018.

As stated above, in early spring of 20 we should know the new districts and schedules...barring any major changes from the IHSAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT