Rise of the Private Schools

Class 1A for soccer:

Girls

AssumptionHeelanCBSAICRNevadaCPUWaterloo Columbus
--------------------------------------------

Boys

DyersvilleICRColumbusAssumptionHoly TrinityCPUNevadaIMS
-------------------------------------------

Class 2A is lead by Xavier in both boys and girls.

Private schools having a boundary would not result in a significant change in the attendees. Assumption could still have all of the Quad Cities, similarly Xavier would cover Cedar Rapids, Regina would cover Iowa City, etc... Closing OE would then force the situation you want in the publics and an appropriate multiplier can be added to the private schools. Until then, trying to create artificial boundaries for the private schools only would be unmanageable.

Originally posted by ORSKY1:

Private schools having a boundary would not result in a significant change in the attendees. Assumption could still have all of the Quad Cities, similarly Xavier would cover Cedar Rapids, Regina would cover Iowa City, etc... Closing OE would then force the situation you want in the publics and an appropriate multiplier can be added to the private schools. Until then, trying to create artificial boundaries for the private schools only would be unmanageable.
So preventing Davenport, Sioux City, Dubque and Council Bluff schools from not being able to take kids from out of state wouldn't impact them? What if ICR couldn't go take kids from outside of IC? Or Xavier couldn't take kids from outside of CR?

Why would it be unmanageable for private schools but it is for public?

Regina would still be in pretty good shape, it has been proven again and again that their reach isn't as great as people perceive it to be. I would think that schools that have large enough open enrollment numbers that it has to be capped might not want to get to deeply involved in this conversation, especially with baseball and SOFTball starting up soon.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:

Regina would still be in pretty good shape, it has been proven again and again that their reach isn't as great as people perceive it to be. I would think that schools that have large enough open enrollment numbers that it has to be capped might not want to get to deeply involved in this conversation, especially with baseball and SOFTball starting up soon.
Baseball has no kids that OE'd in and are starting or playing for that matter. SOFTball as you called it - I am guessing is in reference to the new coach (and only 1 OE from his former school).

Regina is pretty confied to SE JoCo (maybe a tadbit into Cedar) and IC. The ones that border other states would be impacted much greater.

There have been some OE's and "move" ins that have contributed in several sports including baseball. As far as softball you have possibly the premier coach in the state, he will have people follow him with no effort on his part. The down side is you will have to listen to the whispers, lies and accusations. As far as it being one move in it depends on the criteria because it was at least two.

OE filled up in the Kindergarten class... The upper class OE's aren't nearly as many. If you know of more than one that has moved into the district please elaborate on who (I Don't follow softball that closely).

In the past year - no OE has contributed in Baseball\football\basketball\track\wrestling\golf... in the past, yes there have been as with most any other school in the area (including ICR).

ICR doesn't have any OE since they are part of that evil empire private schools, their unlimited recruiting budget, new field turf stadium, new school buildings and being close to a metro area has led to many transfers and "move ins" that have helped their athletic programs........mmmmm...that doesn't sound much like ICR at all........who could it be????
wink.r191677.gif

ICR doesn't have any OE since they are part of that evil empire private schools, their unlimited recruiting budget, new field turf stadium, new school buildings and being close to a metro area has led to many transfers and "move ins" that have helped their athletic programs........mmmmm...that doesn't sound much like ICR at all........who could it be????
wink.r191677.gif
Both Solon and Clear Creek.

Close the open enrollment for publics and then you may have an argument for private school multiplier. As long as there is open enrollment leave the system alone. You can't manage every problem that can arise for both private and public when enrollement for public is open.
Is enrollment closed for private schools? Or can they take any and all that they want? OE does have a cap for public schools you know.

wink.r191677.gif

Oh is this charades!!?? Let me guess, let me guess!!!

horshack.gif

It's actually multiple schools, kind of fun to throw a broad generalization out there and have it apply everyone in that situation. Its getting me ready for this fall when the outrage begins anew.

Originally posted by meandmyshadow:
Close the open enrollment for publics and then you may have an argument for private school multiplier. As long as there is open enrollment leave the system alone. You can't manage every problem that can arise for both private and public when enrollement for public is open.
Is enrollment closed for private schools? Or can they take any and all that they want? OE does have a cap for public schools you know.
And you know that private schools have a tuition that is prohibitive for many families.
So, it's not really an even comparison.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:

And you know that private schools have a tuition that is prohibitive for many families.
So, it's not really an even comparison.
And you know that Private schools have "scholarships" for students that might not be able to afford the tuition...

and that open enrollment is free for all that do it.
As are the scholarships that the kids receive, those kids\families don't have to pay it back.

Bored now. It's getting petty.

"And you know that Private schools have "scholarships" for students that might not be able to afford the tuition... "

"As are the scholarships that the kids receive, those kids\families don't have to pay it back.

Bored now. It's getting petty."

I agree it does get boring when it gets petty like that......
3dgrin.r191677.gif

In most cases, I don't believe there is active recruiting going on, at least on the schools' parts. But on a peer-to-peer level, I'm sure there's a ton of it. I know in 1A, Martensdale-St. Marys (a public school) has brought in quite a few kids through open enrollment from places like Indianola, Winterset, and Lenox (the three players they brought in from those places were all 1st team all-staters at MSTM, a couple of them were two-time selections). Most of the kids they brought in played together for travel ball, so there was a lot of familiarity among the players, despite being from different schools. I would guess that similar scenarios play out at most of the schools accused of recruiting; that's especially plausible at metro area schools, where district lines are drawn arbitrarily rather than imposed by geography (non-metro schools). It's not a huge deal to switch from CR Kennedy to Xavier.

That said, I do think there are probably cases of true recruiting out there; IC Regina is one that immediately jumps to mind. IIRC, they pulled in several players from Mid-Prarie Wellman (a school 25 miles away from Iowa City) a few years ago, which really depleted what looked to be a pretty solid MPW team.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm not from the area, but that was a story I heard a couple years ago when I was up at the Dome watching the finals. I didn't catch any names, I just heard that several players made the move. If that's not the case, my apologies.

It's part of the problem when people make comments that have no basis in fact. I can't recall any players that transferred in from Mid Prairie. If it was a couple of years ago that would have been when 21 of the 24 starters had been at Regina since kindergarten. There was one post 7th grade transfer in and that was from West. The rumors will always be out there it would be nice if people used some actual facts when they jumped in on the subject.

Originally posted by tm3308:
I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm not from the area, but that was a story I heard a couple years ago when I was up at the Dome watching the finals. I didn't catch any names, I just heard that several players made the move. If that's not the case, my apologies.
And, this is the problem. People 'hear things' but don't have any details and it isn't true. But, they are happy to perpetuate the lie by passing it along.
I don't recall a single kid from Mid Prairie joining Regina.

TM,
How would you classify the four girls O/E to Solon from CCA "following" coach White to Solon?
Recruiting? Peer Presure? Parental Pressure? Has Solon gone private?
Would a college coach want kids like this in your college program?

Cyard - from the USAToday:

Walls is the second Clear Creek Amana coach to resign in a little more than a month. Hall of Fame softball coach Jim White, whose teams have won six state titles and more than 800 games, resigned after a dispute with the administration.

White took a similar position at rival Solon. The dispute spilled over into a contentious School Board meeting in which one board member resigned.

Walls referred to White's resignation, saying he did not expect to get any support from the administration considering what happened to the softball coach.

The entire thing really didn't sit well with many people.

Walls is the second Clear Creek Amana coach to resign in a little more than a month. Hall of Fame softball coach Jim White, whose teams have won six state titles and more than 800 games, resigned after a dispute with the administration.

White took a similar position at rival Solon. The dispute spilled over into a contentious School Board meeting in which one board member resigned.

Walls referred to White's resignation, saying he did not expect to get any support from the administration considering what happened to the softball coach.

Yet, if they'd have ended up at a private school you'd have called it 'recruiting'.

Originally posted by Pinehawk:

Yet, if they'd have ended up at a private school you'd have called it 'recruiting'.
If I knew the circumstances leading to the change - no I wouldn't call it recruiting. I will grant you an F.

if all four ended up at the same private school- would there be finger pointing? yes
but to a public, it is covered by "circumstances" In the event they all ended up at the same private I believe the "circumstances"would be lost in the SHADOWS (lol)

55% of Solon's starting lineup could be O/E. Counting one from Soph from IC distric that has been there.

Details, details, details, when a school that has one of the largest open enrollment populations describes it as "circumstances" and then when it occurs at a private it is "recruiting" seems pretty convenient to me.

Details, details, details, when a school that has one of the largest open enrollment populations describes it as "circumstances" and then when it occurs at a private it is "recruiting" seems pretty convenient to me.
So you are saying that it happens at private schools then? Thanks for finally agreeing!

Or are defining "it" as something different?

Please give a link to the OE numbers that shows the largest populations please, otherwise it is just heresay (if you want to talk details, then show details).

So you are saying that it happens at private schools then? Thanks for finally agreeing!

Or are defining "it" as something different?

Please give a link to the OE numbers that shows the largest populations please, otherwise it is just heresay (if you want to talk details, then show details).
The guy who claims 'recruiting' occurs but never has any details or facts...suddenly wants details and facts?
Well...that's a bit ironic.

Originally posted by cyard31:

if all four ended up at the same private school- would there be finger pointing? yes
but to a public, it is covered by "circumstances" In the event they all ended up at the same private I believe the "circumstances"would be lost in the SHADOWS (lol)

55% of Solon's starting lineup could be O/E. Counting one from Soph from IC distric that has been there.
Oh my you are smart enough to make a paronomasia! Good for you Cy!!

I guarantee you there would be finger pointing if they all ended up at a private school. If there were no circumstances that lead them to go there it would of course raise eyebrows. Can you tell me why Berkley Grimm went to Regina for his Sr year? If ICCSD doesn't get their boundaries straight you are "bound" to see more OE's to the surrounding school districts (and *gasp* possibly even some go to... private schools!).

Solon is in the top 14% of net gains from open enrollment, they rank 36th out of 348 schools with a net gain of 95 students,that ranks them just outside of the top 10% of net gains in students. Does that qualify as a detail? Would think that contains the softball transfers. As far as transfers and recruiting Solon should be one of the last schools to point fingers. As far as Grimm going to regina for his last two years you would need to ask his parents why he transferred. I am sure as one of 2 starters that year that didn't attend Regina through elementary school it was a transition for him.....wait was that another detail....dang I am beginning to like this stuff.

Edit for math error, they are actually right in the 10% range.

This post was edited on 5/28 10:06 PM by cidhawkeye

1) The Myth that schools like CR Xavier recruit? ...is a myth. public school jealousy

2) Many many Xavier students are legacies. They have one or two parents who attended CR LaSalle or CR Regis (CR Xavier's predecessors)

3) Many CR Xavier families are not upper-class financially, or even upper middle-class. They sacrifice greatly to send their kids to a Catholic school

4) It isn't a Catholic schools' fault---that some public schools suck at academics or athletics

5) Not only do Catholic school parents (homeowners) pay TUITION for their kids, the property taxes they pay subsidize public school education. Yes..they are double-dipped to care for your rotten kids

6) Many Catholic school kids paid their own tuition (Like me). That was my option,or attend the public school. I detasseled corn, had paper route, then a grocery store job to fund my high school education

7) Many Catholic kids are attending public school. Can I accuse public schools of recruiting?

So if you want to send your kid to Catholic school--make the sacrifice instead of whining, pissing, and moaning.

I think you should read all of the posts. My daughter went to private school as a senior, I have no problem with the private schools.

CID you should know better than anyone that "the Devil is in the details..." ;)

Pine you referenced the details - I asked for a link to his numbers for OE. Do I have data that shows private school enrollment vs location, of course not (that information is private from what I would gather). "Recruiting" data is impossible to gather as it happens behind the scenes, etc. If you deny that it happens then there is not much of anything anyone can do to change your mindset.

CID your open enrollment figures are great (do you have a link to them, I am just curious as to Solon's IN\OUT numbers vs others I know the town is growing and some had to OE just to get their kids into the school system and are moving in once they find a place to purchase). How many of those 95 play sports? What are the grade entries for those 95 (if they are mostly HS transfers then I would be curious as to why)? My guess is some of them do (without a doubt some of them came to Solon strictly for sports, much like some have gone to Regina for their athletic accomplishments) to say something other than that is just being ignorant 9from me or you).

It's mentioned that we would have to ask a students parents why he\she went to Regina as you are not sure, I would say the same for those that have OE'd to Solon or any other school. We can sit and make assumptions all day as to why one kid went to school X, but without talking to them we will never know.

Have a great summer!

You have never seen me claim Regina doesn't recruit. It it doesn't it ceases to exist as a school. The publics tend to be a little more targeted in their recruiting. They have a built in safety net. I know why Grimm went to Regina but it's not my place to share, it wasn't football, that was a bonus. As far as the Solon softball players they have their own reasons, over half the lineup OE? Privates would get some serious attention for that. The numbers are DOE, don't have the link right now. My thought is people should know their stuff before repeating misinformed, inaccurate stories. Also that Solon probably shouldn't point fingers at anyone, heck if Morris and Ashton hadn't left Regina that Solon team might have only been really good and not the dominant team they were.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT