ADVERTISEMENT

Rise of the Private Schools

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
You have never seen me claim Regina doesn't recruit. It it doesn't it ceases to exist as a school. The publics tend to be a little more targeted in their recruiting. They have a built in safety net. I know why Grimm went to Regina but it's not my place to share, it wasn't football, that was a bonus. As far as the Solon softball players they have their own reasons, over half the lineup OE? Privates would get some serious attention for that. The numbers are DOE, don't have the link right now. My thought is people should know their stuff before repeating misinformed, inaccurate stories. Also that Solon probably shouldn't point fingers at anyone, heck if Morris and Ashton hadn't left Regina that Solon team might have only been really good and not the dominant team they were.
Iowa City WEST is notorious with recruiting wrestlers, and all the IC West kids in other sports who are eligible immediately even though their U of Iowa professor parents land here in August every year on a VISA--- makes no sense

Maybe the Iowa HS assoc should look into this situation. Sounds unfair to me

Those are "circumstances" and don't fall under the recruiting guidelines. Just ask some of the experts on this board.

You have never seen me claim Regina doesn't recruit. It it doesn't it ceases to exist as a school.
There are plenty of Catholic kids playing for public schools

All of those public schools should be accused of 'recruiting' kids away from Catholic schools, according to the logic in this thread

You have never seen me claim Regina doesn't recruit. It it doesn't it ceases to exist as a school. The publics tend to be a little more targeted in their recruiting. They have a built in safety net. I know why Grimm went to Regina but it's not my place to share, it wasn't football, that was a bonus. As far as the Solon softball players they have their own reasons, over half the lineup OE? Privates would get some serious attention for that. The numbers are DOE, don't have the link right now. My thought is people should know their stuff before repeating misinformed, inaccurate stories. Also that Solon probably shouldn't point fingers at anyone, heck if Morris and Ashton hadn't left Regina that Solon team might have only been really good and not the dominant team they were.
Ashton and Morris left for their own reasons - as you stated regarding Grimm, not my place to share. Any team with Morris would have been dominate while he played, he changed the game (ask Halsch I recall him telling me in Scheel's "thank god Morris is gone").

Over half the starters for Sball are OE? Where are you getting that info?

Catcher - Herdliska (lives in Solon has gone since K)
Pitcher - Ira (lives in Solon has gone since K)
3B - Misel (lives in Solon has gone since K)
OF - Rickels (lives in Solon has gone since K)
OF - Rickels (live in Solon has gone since 2 I think)
OF - Nearad (lives in Solon gone since 2 or 3 I think)
1B - Hinkel (lives in Solon has gone since k)
SS - CCA OE (Manderson I think is the name)
2B - CCA OE (could be switched with 1B but I think she plays 2B)

Not really half there slick.

Last knights vs Epworth Western Dubuque
Winning Pitcher Hochsteler CCA O/E (just became eligible to play because of late O/E)
SS Madsen IC district was at O/E to CCA now to Solon -- again "circumstances"
CF Ogden O/E from IC to CCA now O/E to Solon. circumstances??
& with Bevins O/E CCA .

& IRA does not live in Solon O/E'd since K --- Lives in same sub-division as McSweeney (Solon AD) wonder if she was "recruited" or O/E'd because of "circumstances"???

Hinkels attended Northwest jr hi --- not sure on this one they might have moved to Solon.
that "could" make five

How far into North Liberty does the Solon school district extend? Nice job on your info shadow, looks like this new guy has the facts on the matter.

Originally posted by cyard31:

Last knights vs Epworth Western Dubuque
Winning Pitcher Hochsteler CCA O/E (just became eligible to play because of late O/E)
SS Madsen IC district was at O/E to CCA now to Solon -- again "circumstances"
CF Ogden O/E from IC to CCA now O/E to Solon. circumstances??
& with Bevins O/E CCA .

& IRA does not live in Solon O/E'd since K --- Lives in same sub-division as McSweeney (Solon AD) wonder if she was "recruited" or O/E'd because of "circumstances"???

Hinkels attended Northwest jr hi --- not sure on this one they might have moved to Solon.
that "could" make five
Me thinks that Cid and Cy are the same person..
smokin.r191677.gif
but I will play along.

My list was from the other night vs Highland. So Hochsteler wasn't playing so I missed that one (and I don't really follow Sball), I mentioned Madsen already and Ogden (2b from where I saw vs Highland or could have been a sub). Not sure who Bevins is, maybe she played 2B instead of Ogden the other night.

You can throw the "circumstances" around all you want to make youself feel good (sounds like ICR kids have had "circumstances" as well). Ira has gone to Solon since K so she is out of the mix, looks like down to 4 that "could" start from CCA.

Listening to the board meeting from May it sounds like Solon's OE is capped in the K-4 grades as they have the largest numbers of new comers (taking a page from ICR in recruiting them young).

In case you are curious - the lastest OE students from the May report: 7 OE's all 4th grade and under (and from some towns farther away than IC as they OE to get into school and the parents then try to find housing before the school year starts - market right now for housing is crazy).

Lastly - have a great summer. Talk to you next fall.
This post was edited on 6/6 12:30 PM by meandmyshadow

just makes me wonder what "circumstances"(ah what a feeling) could come up that they could be OE'd at yet another school next year. Ask yourself, Is it possible? Yes

Just to clarify your reasoning-- so if a kid would have started k @ a private,. they then are not counted in the OE'd equation? IE: IRA @ Solon
Very Slick, Slick

I believe my original post was about OE not just CCA OE, whether you claim Ira as an OE the reality is she is. Think Hinkels may be as well. So that makes it just over 1/2 so I may have been spot on. No need to apologize. I thought OE was capped for K-4 but that is all that is OE. Coach White had no issues getting his young kids OE. See you in the fall.

Coach White did a nice job of taking kids from ICW while at CCA and I guessing that's one of the things Solon like about him.Just a matter of time and this will really pickup.
The really sad part is the state will do any thing for coach White.Just start by looking to see when the last time CCA played a road game in post season and I bet Solon never goes on the road now.

The post season softball set up was around long before Coach White, my sister dealt with it way back in the 70's.

So I have my facts straight.
2 out of the 3 top pitchers and maybe 3/3 don't live in Solon.(14-0)
2 out of the 3 of the top hitters do not live in Solon.(2 girls have 54 hits and 40 runs already)
If this is true I would have to say its a very sad for Iowa High School Softball.
I stop by and watch a little 10u tour. games today of towns trying to build teams for the future and if this is what these kids have to face in the future.at the 4a and below level its real to bad.IMO

It's all circumstances according to shadow. If it were a private school there would be calls to bump them up a class or have their own tournament. I can't blame them for wanting to go to a great school and play for a great coach, same thing for their football program. Just don't like the hypocritical nature of the whole thing.

A decent discussion here, but no one ever wants to speak to the elephant in the room.

Overzealous parents are at the root of all athletic based transfers. End of conversation.

Fans can piggy back on top of their arguments all-night long, but it all comes down to the decisions of parents.

Kids
will seldom disagree with the wishes of parents...afterall, they mostly
are seeking their parents approval...seeking their respect and their
love and their encouragement. Speculate all you want, but it is the
determined and demented parents that pull the strings at Eastern Iowa
place such as Solon and ICW and the former CCA.... It is almost getting
to comical status.

I have talked with college coaches in multiple
sports that are now paying attention to this practice. Although they
enjoy talented kids in their programs, they certainly pay attention to
kids that transfer as they realize when they take on a kid, they also
take on the parents....and the last thing they want to do is babysit the
whims and personalities of overzealous parents.

Quick Tip to
student athletes: Work hard and help your team during the season and
then seek off season camps and clinics and you will do just fine when it
comes to college recruitment. Good kids and GOOD PARENTS are what
college coaches are after....even at the D-I level!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT