ADVERTISEMENT

Reporting Statistics

buquehawk

Gold Member
May 23, 2018
I believe that coaches self-report statistics for their games to the Iowa High School Athletic Association, correct me if I am wrong. The question that I have is if there is an audit for these statistics. What is to stop a coach from fudging a couple numbers to benefit their player? Some statistics are pretty concrete, rushes, completions, interceptions, however some are more subjective, like yards, and solo tackles. If you look at the Tackle Statistics, you can see that some coaches report the statistics more realistically than others. Last year the leading tackler in the state was listed as 119 Solo tackles 19.5 assists. This doesn't seem likely. Most linebackers would have more assisted tackles than solo, so a 3:1 ratio the other way seems off. I'm sure it doesn't make a real difference to many, but when these stats are the only way some coaches, colleges and media get to look at the kids for awards and possibly scholarships, it can certainly make a difference. Any thoughts, insights?

2 or 3 years ago quick stats had an update that made it harder for coaches to give a bunch of assisted tackles. Now does it still happen? Absolutely but I do think most coaches are pretty good about giving honest numbers.

I do also know when it comes to things like all district and all state most coaches know and don't vote for kids with inflated numbers. There was a coach a few years ago who had twin sons who played baseball for him and they never gave up any hits, they were all errors. When it came to the all conference meeting neither boy was even considered by the other 7 coaches in the room.

As for college coaches, they go off of film, not stats.

Reactions: buquehawk
That makes sense. I just know we had a kid in town who was near the top of the 4A leader board in tackles, 3rd overall I believe, but didn't make it on any All State lists. There were a couple kids with numbers that looked a little suspect. I think the bigger issue was most of the All State kids were either in playoffs or Des Moines Metro area kids , which is a topic for another day.

Well as far as total tackles, yards gained etc., there are many athletes who played only half a game or less due to their team being significantly ahead, so statistics alone don’t paint a complete picture, there’s an old saying about statistics.

Tackle statistics should always be taken with several boulders of salt, as coaches report things differently from team to team. I remember some years back Waterloo East reported some guy with something like 125 tackles ... and he only played in 4 or 5 games, I think.

Reactions: CF_93
There are guidelines to follow [LINK], but beyond that it's up to the honesty and/or accuracy of the teacher/parent/student/volunteer who draws the duty. I'd like to believe that most of the people who take stats at games have the best intentions but may just not know all of the rules/intricacies -- such as when the ball is considered to be at the 48 vs. the 47.

Unfortunately, there will be always be people who intentionally pad stats. Those people are the worst.

I knew of a coach who included offensive statistics on plays that were penalized. Also had crazy high tackle numbers. (Jump on the pile, get an assist.) His teams were turrible.

A recorded sack for example, is also a recorded tfl and solo tackle. So some plays will count in three categories.

I mean a 20-yard run called back due to holding at the LOS being recorded as a 20-yard run as if the play actually counted.

LOL no, that's terrible. Unless they also called it a 30-yard penalty (which would be equally as daft).

If the penalty is downfield, though, the RB gets credit for yards from the LOS to the spot of the foul.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT