ADVERTISEMENT

Private Schools

It is amazing how petty private school supporters are acting right now. I say that being one myself. Come on guys we should be better than this. As just about all the private schools in the state are Christian I will quote one of our favorite guys,"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - Luke 6:31. I know I don't like it when people act petty and gloat in my face so it is not something I tend to do towards others.

Who's gloating? In another thread i posted the actual stats on response to someone who said half the teams are private schools. In this thread I posted a good-natured, ok slightly sarcastic comment...but with a smiley face no less. How can we be "rubbing it in their face" when there are fewer private schools this year?

Who's gloating? In another thread i posted the actual stats on response to someone who said half the teams are private schools. In this thread I posted a good-natured, ok slightly sarcastic comment...but with a smiley face no less. How can we be "rubbing it in their face" when there are fewer private schools this year?
Check out the 3A thread. Combined with this I would say there is some gloating going on.

I would say that the only outrage is that half of the teams in the 1A field were parochial schools

Reactions: LAK26
Watch out guys. For the first time in 5 years, one of the 60 public schools in 3A will win instead of one of the 4 private schools. That totally disproves all evidence leading up to this season!

This is an amazingly good tournament this year, with more high caliber teams than usual. Fun to watch.

It has felt like it does in Missouri (where they have a multiplier for private schools, albeit a small one). All those tournaments from the field of 16 on (which would start at our substate games) seem to be pretty unpredictable. In Iowa, you can always guarantee that Xavier is going to be in the state title mix in about every sport where they play against the smaller schools. Same with Heelan. Same with Regina. At least as far as basketball is concerned, Missouri's state tournament is always more competitive.

I think I've said this enough, but this is a super rare year where the handful of private schools in the three smaller classes are all down after having such crazy success for so long. I expect those schools to be re-loaded with talent next year or at least the year after, and for the private schools to continue their dominance, but this year was a pretty fun year where everything seemed balanced.

Talent doesn't just happen. It comes from a culture of high expectations and hard work. That's why you see a pattern of success.
Apparently certain private school teams didn't have a current group that worked hard enough and had high enough expectations, otherwise they'd be at State and in the championship game.

Shame on those private schools and their coaches for not preparing them long before it got to this point.........................

Talent doesn't just happen. It comes from a culture of high expectations and hard work. That's why you see a pattern of success.

Mmm no. You see a pattern of success because the teams who are winning at such a high rate have a much higher population to pluck athletes from. There is obviously some truth to what you said, but the main reason private schools (in big cities especially) are so successful is because of the sheer number of kids to pick from. I don't see a lot of these teams necessarily being super well coached or running complicated offenses or anything like that. Most of the time, private schools just simply have bigger, faster kids, because the strength in numbers allowed them to have a better chance at ending up with bigger, faster kids. (Or in a lot of cases, their players were doing well at other schools around the city and eventually found their way to the smaller, private school, where they could face much less athletic teams in the postseason).

Mmm no. You see a pattern of success because the teams who are winning at such a high rate have a much higher population to pluck athletes from. There is obviously some truth to what you said, but the main reason private schools (in big cities especially) are so successful is because of the sheer number of kids to pick from. I don't see a lot of these teams necessarily being super well coached or running complicated offenses or anything like that. Most of the time, private schools just simply have bigger, faster kids, because the strength in numbers allowed them to have a better chance at ending up with bigger, faster kids. (Or in a lot of cases, their players were doing well at other schools around the city and eventually found their way to the smaller, private school, where they could face much less athletic teams in the postseason).
You both are right, you know......

Everything you said is the first half of the equation and what Pine is saying is what comes after as the second half.

And yes, that is the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT