ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Season Basketball Rankings

CoachNel4

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2015
sites.google.com
Class 1A
1 Boyden-Hull- They may lose a great inside presence in Schmidt but they return a lot and will be battled tested in the tough northwest part of the state.
2 IKM-Manning- Bump down a class after already being very competitive in 2A. Also return Wagner and Vollstedt, a great 1-2 combo.
3 West Hancock- Paulus and Sonius are as good of combo as any in 1A. They look to continue the success from a great season last year.
4 Gladbrook-Reinbeck- Smoldt is as good of a guard as any in the state and will have to shoulder a huge load early. As new guys get experience, G-R will keep the success going.
5 Ar-We-Va- Schurke, Kraus, and Danner are a very nice trio. Have had tons of success, next goal: a trip to state.
6 Colo-Nesco- Top 5 scorers return including Reischauer who is one of the best in 1A.
7 Montezuma- 5 of the their top 6 players return to a team that had a great season and was just short of making state.
8 St. Edmond- Another team dropping down a class, that plays very good regular season competition. The Flatterys will lead the way.
9 Janesville- Amlie and company are looking to go even farther this year. Plenty of guys return to do just that.
10 South O'Brien- 3 of the top 4 players return including Struve who is a very good all-round player.
11 North Linn- Everyone returns and are led by Miller who is now in his sophomore year. This team could be very dangerous.
12 Jesup- Top 6 players return from a team that got hot the last 3rd of the season. That success should continue this whole season.
13 Highland, Riverside- A young team with the majority of their core back and looking to take another step forward this year.
14 IMS- Eli Gingerich leads the way for a team anxious to get back to their normal success.
15 GTRA- Geelan returns, who is one of the better 1A scorers and has some solid sidekicks as well.
16 Meskawki- Tahahwah and company look to build off of a successful season last year and take another step forward.

Class 2A
1 Western Christian- VanLingen, Miedema and everyone are back for a team hungry to make up for their early 1st round state exit. Watch out!
2 Pella Christian- Jungling and Kacmarynski return and look to take another step forward after a great run last year.
3 Treynor- Defending champs return Chapman and some other very sound guards. Will once again be quite tough.
4 Monticello- Top 3 scorers return for a team that came up short last year but had a very good season. Anxious to get back at it!
5 IC Regina- Lose Cook but return their next two scorers plus others looking to get back to state.
6 Aplington-Parkersburg- Waller and Ellis look to keep the success going this year. A very sound combo and will get some help in a tough conference.
7 I-35- White is one of the best guards in 2A and has a lot of running mates back to make a big run this year.
8 Earlham- Going up a class should not effect Earlham. They return a very good big man in Hopkins and some very good guard play.
9 Cascade- Green is one of the best big men in 2A and will need some help but should continue last season's success.
10 Dike-New Hartford- A very nice team that returns their top six players. Play in a very competitive conference, so they will be battle tested.
11 NE Goose Lake- Got hot at the end of the year and return a good core of players.
12 Central Decatur- Pedersen is one of the best wings in 2A and will look to help his team gain even more success.
13 Des Moines Christian- Van Soelen is a great centerpiece and Juhl is a good compliment. DMC looks to reign once again in the West Central Conference.
14 Kuemper- Dentlinger and his youthful running mates look to show how talented they are.
15 Pocahantas- Youngberg and Roetman are a very good 1-2 punch and have others to help make another run.
16 Hudson- Roth is one of the better scorers in 2A and he will get some good help in a tough confidence.
Class 3A
1 Wahlert- Pemsl is one of the best big men in the state and he will have some talent step up around him to try an repeat.
2 Waverly-SR- 4 of their top 5 return including Phyfe, who is one of the up and coming big men in the state.
3 Spirit Lake- Kriener and Brown are as good of an inside-outside combo in the state and will lead the way for Spirit Lake.
4 Pella- Lose their top player but Warner and company always seem to regroup and are always ultra competitive.
5 DC-G- Washington and Heritage are a great guard combo and look to get the Mustangs back to state.
6 Chariton- Hockenson and Laing are one of the best combos in the state and also return their next top four players. Could be a very scary team.
7 MOC-Floyd- Jansen and Korver are another very good combo and this will be a battle tested team come March.
8 Harlan- Juhl and company always find ways to win a lot of games and they will do the same again this year.
9 Perry- Ivory can flat out score but will also have plenty of help from Lansing and Nevitt.
10 Atlantic- Hawkins and Franken are a great inside combo and these guys will be tough in a tough Hawkeye 10 conference.
11 Spencer- Kluender, Funderberg, and Illg are a great trio and they look to help Spencer take a big step forward this year.
12 Webster City- The Fuhs brothers lead the Lynx and look to win the tough NCC.
13 Heelan- Burnside and Hazekamp look to get Heelan back to their winning ways
14 Bondurant-Farrar- Storey and company look to continue and build on the successes last year. Should be right in the mix for RRC title.
15 Sergeant Bluff-Luton- Kroll and the next 5 return for a team anxious to build on last year's success.
16 Solon- McIIravy, Coons, and Durr are all back and will look to continue to take steps forward.

Class 4A
1 IC West- Is any team more loaded than IC West? McCaffery, Lane, Lohaus, Parks, and company have lofty expectations and will have a great chance to achieve them.
2 Pleasant Valley- Carius and company are very talented and hungry to get back to the state championship game.
3 CB Abe Lincoln- Bonner is a premiere big man and the Lynx have plenty of talent to make a state run.
4 Cedar Falls- Fagan and his youthful running mates look to make a deep run this year.
5 Ames- Ames returns a lot of talent and look to improve on last season's state run.
6 Clinton- Ernst is now at ISU but Howard and company have plenty of talent to improve on last season's mark.
7 Valley- Scott and the Tigers look to continue their steady improvement and make a deep run.
8 Linn-Mar- Bohannon and new running mate Printy make a great combo and look to get Linn-Mar back into the state tournament.
9 SC East- Murrell and Rees lead the Black Raiders and look to get the high achieving program back to Des Moines.
10 Dowling- Brown, an upcoming big man in the state and Maroons look to improve on last year's season.
11 Ankeny- Late season run should have the Hawks confident to make a full season run this year.
12 Hoover- Lose a great player in King but have weapons returning and can play some great defense.
13 Norwalk- Move up a class but have talent and size that should compete in 4A.
14 Waukee- Lose big men Jacobsen and Nelson but always seem to reload with talent.
15 CR Kennedy- Lose some good players but have talented young players looking to keep Kennedy in contention.
16 Bettendorf- A down season last year with some close losses but talent and experience return to get back Bettendorf back on track.

Last edited:
Nicely done, Steady-Sport. Wow, that took a lot of research on your part. Everybody has a little different idea of who should be ranked ahead of whom, but you did a remarkable job. Better than I could do at this point, that's for sure. A couple of comments-- In 4A I think defending champ North Scott, with young Seales and their big transfer, will still be able to upset a team or two ahead of them in the rankings. I like Clinton, but I would have them ranked lower. Staying in the MAC, I'd have Bettendorf much higher. They came on strong at the end of last year. In 3A, your top three this year are probably every bit as good as the top teams in 4A (except for IC West, which is in a class by itself). I think the top three in 3A are about as strong as I've seen in years, with Chariton not far behind. I'd put Spirit Lake ahead of Waverly, because of their tough schedule. Wahlert would be in my top three if Pemsl didn't even play. CR Xavier is going to be very strong as the year goes on, but may have too many losses to be ranked highly. In 2A Western Christian is my odds-on favorite, but like 1A, the talent is so spread out among so many good teams that it won't be easy for anybody. In 1A, I'd also go with B-H, but it is such an even field at the top that anybody could catch fire. All-in-all, a great job, S-S.

Thanks! 4A for me is always a little tougher since they always seem to have good upperclassmen and I don't always know how good their JV teams and players are, who make the move up the next season. So I can always use insight on any of those big schools. Should be a fun basketball season!

I am not sure but I believe Highland will be back in 1A this winter at least it looked that way according to the BEDS.

Hinton? I think they should be pretty good this year again. Cant imagine how good they would have been the next couple years if they would not have had transfers...

Hinton is on the radar! Have some nice players returning but lost some good players. Will wait to see how they start the season. They were right on the edge of being in the pre-season rankings.

Hard to believe Janesville will do anything tournament time. They really get hurt by playing in such a weak conference all season and then play someone like Denver, or any other team that plays 2A and 3A teams in their conference, come tournament time. I'm sure they will have a nice record though again for the regular season so they always have that I guess.
If Dike has their top 6 scorers back it would be hard to have them 4 spots lower in the rankings than AP to start the year. AP lost Cooper and he was a HUGE part of their scoring and rebounding. Without teams focusing on him it's going to be tougher this year for Waller and Ellis to say the least. They had the benefit of not being the focal point of opposing defenses last year. This year they will need Hempen or someone else to help with the workload or they will be looking at 15-10 season I think. Last year WITH Cooper they were extremely lucky to escape past Dike in the district final game as it was. Dike had the ball and a chance to win it at the end and they looked to be pretty good with top 6 back from that group. I think AP will have a hard time matching up with them this year.

Hard to believe Janesville will do anything tournament time. They really get hurt by playing in such a weak conference all season and then play someone like Denver, or any other team that plays 2A and 3A teams in their conference, come tournament time. I'm sure they will have a nice record though again for the regular season so they always have that I guess.
If Dike has their top 6 scorers back it would be hard to have them 4 spots lower in the rankings than AP to start the year. AP lost Cooper and he was a HUGE part of their scoring and rebounding. Without teams focusing on him it's going to be tougher this year for Waller and Ellis to say the least. They had the benefit of not being the focal point of opposing defenses last year. This year they will need Hempen or someone else to help with the workload or they will be looking at 15-10 season I think. Last year WITH Cooper they were extremely lucky to escape past Dike in the district final game as it was. Dike had the ball and a chance to win it at the end and they looked to be pretty good with top 6 back from that group. I think AP will have a hard time matching up with them this year.
Jesup and Dike both should be better than A-P this year

Great work, sir. One comment on 4A is I think Valley is a top 5, if not top 3 team. Carlo Marble is back so they have one of the best trios in the state in Scott, Marble and Curry.

Not seeing the St Eds thing?? yes dropping down a class will help, but they were sub par last year and lost there best all around player (Peed) to graduation. Unless they have some young superstar that didn't play last year, I feel they are over rated..

SSGT-- Is Colo Carlo Marble? I had no idea that he is back in the Des Moines area. With him, totally agree that Valley could be the 2nd or 3rd best team in 4A with that trio of players, and that they could be one of the few teams that could possibly upset IC West in the tourney if they all get hot on the same night.

SSGT-- Is Colo Carlo Marble? I had no idea that he is back in the Des Moines area. With him, totally agree that Valley could be the 2nd or 3rd best team in 4A with that trio of players, and that they could be one of the few teams that could possibly upset IC West in the tourney if they all get hot on the same night.
No, sorry, Colo-NESCO. They played the game after my son's at the Jamboree in Roland-Story.

I'll admit, other than IC West, I know nothing about the 4A schools, and I know little about them

Not seeing the St Eds thing?? yes dropping down a class will help, but they were sub par last year and lost there best all around player (Peed) to graduation. Unless they have some young superstar that didn't play last year, I feel they are over rated..
No.

The Spirit Lake , MOC , SB-L , Spencer,and Heelan district is loaded. Hoping the state gets a clue ( I know a lot to ask ) and breaks it up some. SP-L park is grossly talented with two D-1 players. MOC is MOC with two really good players in Jansen and Korver , who are finally seniors. What careers they have had. Heelan's schedule is front loaded ( open vs Dowling and Wahlert ) so you will not get a good measure on them until late. Sounds like a big youth movement for the Crusaders this year with a good sophomore class and talented freshmen group.

I'm not sure, but wern't Algona and Lemars in that substate last year as well. I think Algona was a one seed and got knocked off in first round. Good players coming back. Lemars went to championship game and they always reload. I think 7 of those 8 May be ranked in top 10 during the year at some point. Scary substate.

I'm not sure, but wern't Algona and Lemars in that substate last year as well. I think Algona was a one seed and got knocked off in first round. Good players coming back. Lemars went to championship game and they always reload. I think 7 of those 8 May be ranked in top 10 during the year at some point. Scary substate.

SBL is going to be very good this year as well.

The Spirit Lake , MOC , SB-L , Spencer,and Heelan district is loaded. Hoping the state gets a clue ( I know a lot to ask ) and breaks it up some. SP-L park is grossly talented with two D-1 players. MOC is MOC with two really good players in Jansen and Korver , who are finally seniors. What careers they have had. Heelan's schedule is front loaded ( open vs Dowling and Wahlert ) so you will not get a good measure on them until late. Sounds like a big youth movement for the Crusaders this year with a good sophomore class and talented freshmen group.
A lot to ask of the Boys in Boone to think outside the box in trying to get the Best 8 or as close as possible the best 8 to Des Moines. If the Girl's Athletic Union can split good teams up to hopefully get the best to DSM...then it should really not be that difficult for the Boone Boys to do it also. Oh yeah...that would require them to actually think and work, something they traditionally do not do very well. However they have the last 2 years tried to think outside the box in regards to the football playoff match-ups...could there be HOPE that maybe it carries over to Basketball???

A lot to ask of the Boys in Boone to think outside the box in trying to get the Best 8 or as close as possible the best 8 to Des Moines. If the Girl's Athletic Union can split good teams up to hopefully get the best to DSM...then it should really not be that difficult for the Boone Boys to do it also. Oh yeah...that would require them to actually think and work, something they traditionally do not do very well. However they have the last 2 years tried to think outside the box in regards to the football playoff match-ups...could there be HOPE that maybe it carries over to Basketball???
The IHSAA has made it very clear over the past few years that they want a statewide tournament. They don't necessarily want the best 8 teams, they want representation from all part of the state. If 3 or 4 of the best teams are from the same substate they aren't going to change that. It is a joke, but you are dealing with the 'good ole boys' and they don't listen to anyone but each other.

The IHSAA has made it very clear over the past few years that they want a statewide tournament. They don't necessarily want the best 8 teams, they want representation from all part of the state. If 3 or 4 of the best teams are from the same substate they aren't going to change that. It is a joke, but you are dealing with the 'good ole boys' and they don't listen to anyone but each other.

I have never understood this argument. For me the goal of the state tournament is not to determine the best 8 teams in the state, but the best 1 team. That is why the state has regions. The best team from each region gets to move on. If you are not the best team from your region you don’t deserve to be at state, even if you might be better than a team that did make it.

The problem is you don’t for sure who the top 8 teams are until it all plays out. There is so little crossovers between different areas of the state so it is incredibly difficult to say for certain which teams are better then others when they never play and may not even have common opponents. A 7 loss team from one area may be better than an undefeated team from another, but how can you know for sure until they play.

I know it sucks seeing a team you played close beat another team at state by a lot but if you want to be there you should have won. You weren’t better than the team that beat you and that is all that matters.

Madrid
Won't be the case anymore. Madrid pulls a big upset against Earlham
Madrid has a new coach and they had really good game plan. They deserved to win. With Panorama beating DMC the other night, the conference could be more wide open than usual this year.

If DMC going to reign in the West Central, why is Earlham rated above them?
Earlham is not a better team than DMC. Not sure Lions are the 13th best 2A team, but they are better than Earlham. Earlham lost their twins guards and they are not a top 15 team without them..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT