AGWSR - Runner Up

District 3
Central, Elkader - District Champs
Don Bosco vs Tripoli - Winner is Runner Up

District 4
If Midland, Wyoming beats Lone Tree
Midland, Wyoming - District Champs
Iowa Valley - Runner Up

If Lone Tree beats Midland, Wyoming by 1-14 points & assuming Iowa Valley wins by 17+
Iowa Valley - District Champ
Midland, Wyoming - Runner Up

If Lone Tree beats Midland by 15+ points & assuming Iowa Valley wins by 17+
Iowa Valley - District Champ
Lone Tree - Runner Up

If Iowa Valley wins by less than 17 points, alot of different outcomes could happen

District 5
HLV vs Twin Cedars - Winner is District Champ and Loser is Runner Up

District 6
Assuming East Union, Afton wins
If Bedford beats Stanton
East Union, Afton - District Champs
Bedford - Runner Up

If Stanton beats Bedford
Stanton - District Champs
East Union, Afton - Runner Up

If Lenox wins and East Union, Afton loses there would be a 3 way tie for Runner Up

District 7
Fremont Mills - District Champs
Exira-EHK - Runner Up

District 8
If Audubon beats ArWeVa
Audubon - District Champs
Coon Rapids Bayard - Runner Up

If ArWeVa beats Audubon by 1-5 points
Audubon - District Champs
ArWeVa - Runner Up

If ArWeVa beats Audubon by 6+ points
ArWeVa - District Champs
Audubon - Runner Up

Last edited:
I don't think your calculations for District 4 are correct. I am a nut for this kind of stuff so I couldn't resist checking this one out.

First of all this is all assuming Iowa Valley picks up the full 17 points possible in their game against WACO which is likely.

If Lone Tree beats Midland there is a 3 way tie with head-to-head match ups canceling each other out. By my calculations the magic number is 12. for Lone Tree. They need to win by 12 or more to bring their point difference average up to 10.5 and Midlands average down to 10.25.

Anything less than a Lone Tree 12 point win will result in a greater point difference average for Midland. The kicker is if Midland loses by 9 or less they would tie or surpass Iowa Valley in points while owning the head-to-Head match up. Also a 9 point or less victory for Lone Tree will not be enough to counter the -17 hit to their average they took against Iowa valley. This would result in Midland being champs, Iowa Valley would be 2nd and Lone Tree would be out.

It would seem that the lesson to be learned here is that losing hurts you but getting blown out by 17 is almost always fatal.

This is definitely a game to watch.

I see I counted Midlands plus 17 for both Easton Valley wins. Only one of those was a district game. Will have to go run the numbers again. You are probly right. Thanks for catching that.

If Midland, Wyoming beats Lone Tree
Iowa Valley - Runner Up

If Lone Tree beats Midland, Wyoming by 1-10 points & assuming Iowa Valley wins by 17+
Iowa Valley - Runner Up

If Lone Tree beats Midland, Wyoming by 11 points & assuming Iowa Valley wins by 17+
Iowa Valley - District Champs
Midland, Wyoming - Runner Up

If Lone Tree beats Midland by 12+ points & assuming Iowa Valley wins by 17+
Iowa Valley - District Champs
Lone Tree - Runner Up

If Iowa Valley wins by less than 17 points, alot of different outcomes could happen

These are the outcomes after correcting the numbers from counting both the Midland vs Easton Valley games. Those look right to you Lenmaster?

I've been a part of crazier things happening, Midland needs to go in with a level head and ready to play hard-nosed football! Go eagles!!

So let me get this straight...Lone Tree is 8-0 going into their game against Iowa Valley and loses. Sounds like LT is pretty beat up right now. They now need to beat Midland by 12 points or more to get into the playoffs. They could go 9-1 and not make the playoffs? What a joke! The IHSSA is ridiculous on their knee-jerk reactions (Cutting the playoff teams in half). I am not a LT fan by the way. Just think if a team goes 9-1 or 8-2 they should be in the playoffs. I also do not have a problem with a 3-6 or 2-7 team getting in. I'd rather see that and making sure all teams with great records get to play in the playoffs.

I think the numbers look good. Has anyone looked at districts 6 or 8? I think they get a little crazy too.

So let me get this straight...Lone Tree is 8-0 going into their game against Iowa Valley and loses. Sounds like LT is pretty beat up right now. They now need to beat Midland by 12 points or more to get into the playoffs. They could go 9-1 and not make the playoffs? What a joke! The IHSSA is ridiculous on their knee-jerk reactions (Cutting the playoff teams in half). I am not a LT fan by the way. Just think if a team goes 9-1 or 8-2 they should be in the playoffs. I also do not have a problem with a 3-6 or 2-7 team getting in. I'd rather see that and making sure all teams with great records get to play in the playoffs.

First, let's get the facts straight. Lone Tree is 7-1 at this point. If they lose, they'll be 7-2, 4-2 in the district, and lost to the top two seeds in their district.

In my opinion, they wouldn't deserve the playoffs. They didn't take care of business when it mattered most. Why reward a team for losing the most important games of the season? I might be in the minority here, but I like the new playoff format. The regular season matters...if you don't take care of business in your district, you don't get a chance to be in the playoffs.

I also think 16 teams is plenty. I like 7 districts in A - 3A so 2 wild cards could be added in case of 3 way ties for 1st would be the only change that maybe be worth while to consider next redistricting.

Could even go to 6 district of 10-11 teams and get rid of non-district games altogether and have 4 wildcards. That would effectively get 3 teams out of the 4 districts.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think 7-2 (Forgot LT had a bye week) is a darn good record and the kids and coaches who work hard all year long should be rewarded. I would be in favor of 6 districts to allow for 4 wildcards to get in. However, travel would be brutal. I think 24 is a good number. Who cares if 8 teams get a bye. That is a reward for winning their district.

I'm glad the teams with losing records are out of the postseason. Save the time and energy from the thumping they would get from the district champions.

Obviously I am a Lone Tree fan, but what sucks about this format is that my Lions could beat Midland by 10 points (a greater margin than Midland beat Iowa Valley by,) finish in a 3-way district tie and 8-1 overall and still fail to qualify. To make matters worse, HLV (a team we beat by 47 on the road) is a lead pipe lock to qualify even if they lose for a third time on Friday.

As they say, it is what it is. They still have their fate in their own hands on Friday. I guess that's all you can hope for.

Yep, 5 rounds. The state can move the schedule around. They can move the start of the season up one week. They can schedule 8 games, then for those teams that don't make the playoffs schedule the ninth game. They can decide to not play the state championship games in the UNI Dome and play them else where if UNI doesn't want to allow the state to use the Dome the weekend of Thanksgiving. There are options, if the state wants to work at it.

And then you're right back to playing a 5-round postseason in 4 weeks.
Having an 8 game schedule isn't the end of the world really. It still allows team to have their week 0 scrimmage like many do now and play one non-district game on top of their district slate. With the non-district games really playing no factor in post season stuff, what advantage does playing an 8 vs 9 game schedule when you get all your district games in still?

Reactions: BTB138
D1 Ruthven GTRA with a win will finish the season 7-2, 3rd in district
D3 If Tripoli 6-2(4-1) wins vs Don Bosco 7-1(4-1), DB would be out of playoffs.
D4 discussed above will have a 7-2 not make it.
D6 Bedford 7-1(5-1) vs Stanton 6-2(5-1) decides a playoff spot, Stanton wins 7-2 Bedford tied for second.
D6 Afton East Union 7-1(5-1) win gets other spot, a loss part of 3 way tie for 2nd with Lenox and loser of Beford & Stanton.
D8 Westside Ar-We-Va 6-2(5-1) vs Audubon (8-0), West side wins, 3 way tie for first, points decide. Audubon is +10, Coon(7-1, 5-1) is -9, Westside -1, ( Westside needs to win by 6 to finish +5 and pull Audubon down to +4 to get 1st.) (Edit: didn't know the Overtime rule, thanks high90school)

I think it's possible a 8-1 team won't make it, up to 6 7-2 teams might not.

Last edited:
D1 Ruthven GTRA with a win will finish the season 7-2, 3rd in district
D3 If Tripoli 6-2(4-1) wins vs Don Bosco 7-1(4-1), DB would be out of playoffs.
D4 discussed above could have a 8-1 team not make the playoffs. For sure a 7-2 won't.
D6 Bedford 7-1(5-1) vs Stanton 6-2(5-1) decides a playoff spot, Stanton wins 7-2 Bedford tied for second.
D6 Afton East Union 7-1(5-1) win gets other spot, a loss part of 3 way tie for 2nd with Lenox and loser of Beford & Stanton.
D8 Westside Ar-We-Va 6-2(5-1) vs Audubon (8-0), West side wins, 3 way tie for first, points decide. Audubon is +10, Coon is -4, Westside -6, (Coon wins by 17 finished +13, Westside needs to win by 8 to finish +4 and pull Audubon down to +2.)

I think it's possible 2 8-1 teams won't make it, up to 6 7-2 teams might not.
Your math isn't right on D8. Overtime games only count for 1 point rather than the 6 that they beat ArWeVa by. If ArWeVa wins they are in as at least a 2 seed and Coon is out. If they win by 6 or more, Audubon is the 2 and ArWeVa is the 1. Audubon is in for sure regardless of a loss because they are too far ahead of Coon Rapids in points for them to be jumped and have ArWeVa be the 1 and Coon be the 2.

Reactions: roosterk
A lot of us predicted that some really good teams would be left out in loaded districts. I don't know why the State didn't prepare for this by having at least 4 wildcard teams. In my area, some very good teams from District 1 and District 8 are going to be left out. GTRA not making it when in all likelihood they will be 7-2 just doesn't seem fair. If the team left out in District 8 is AR-WE-VA, it won't be quite as bad because the likely 4th place team in Dist 1 beat them(RSM), but it was the first game of the season. Just point to Newell Fonda a few years ago when they lost the first two games of the year and i believe won the title. We likely won't see a story like that under the current format.

NF lost its first 3 games in 2014 but were still runner up in the district going 6-1. So it could happen again but highly unlikely.

I don't think there is a playoff format that is perfect. Always going to be good teams left out and/or bad teams that make it in. If you wanna make it in, win your games. Its that simple.

These are my predictions on 1st round of the playoffs

Harris-Lake Park vs Coon Rapids-Bayard
Audubon vs Newell-Fonda
Fremont Mills vs East Union, Afton
Stanton vs Exira-EHK
Turkey Valley, Jackson Junction vs Don Bosco
Central, Elkader vs Iowa Valley
Midland, Wyoming vs Twin Cedars
HLV, Victor vs AGWSR

I agree there is no perfect format, but there was nothing wrong with 4 teams making it in each district. The state earns more money by having more playoff games anyway so they're missing out. Plus it's not fair for the loaded district like D1 and D8. Coon Rapids or Ar-We may be possibly left out and GTRA. You can also note that RSM (seed 4 in D1) beat Ar-Weva who still has a shot in D8. I believe 4 teams was the number and they need to go back to that.

I agree there is no perfect format, but there was nothing wrong with 4 teams making it in each district. The state earns more money by having more playoff games anyway so they're missing out. Plus it's not fair for the loaded district like D1 and D8. Coon Rapids or Ar-We may be possibly left out and GTRA. You can also note that RSM (seed 4 in D1) beat Ar-Weva who still has a shot in D8. I believe 4 teams was the number and they need to go back to that.
I think the argument that is being made is that more often than not a 4 seed in a district cannot compete with 1's across the state AND many of the times the 4 seeds don't have winning records. In my opinion if you don't have at least a winning record how do you deserve to be in the post season? Here are the all the 4's across the state in each district along with their records according to the state standings. Only 3 have a winning record at this point in time.
1.) Remsen St Mary's (5-3)
2.) Riceville (5-3)
3.) Kee, Lansing (2-6)
4.) WACO (3-5)
5.) Moravia (4-4)
6.) Lenox (5-3)
7.) CAM (4-4)
8.) Charter Oak, Ute (3-5)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT