ADVERTISEMENT

Postseason 2022

Wow,

And WL dives into the semis. Worst call ever
ok, I almost never comment on officiating, what happens happens and grousing about it doesn't change anything, but here is what lead up WL's winning PK.

Even worse than the call was blown, the interview afterward was just appauling. If that had been me, I would have sucked it up and been humble that you got a break, but to flex and tout how great you are....I know he's a kid, but….

Looks like he got him in the back with no chance to get the ball. Foul every time.
#3 clearly kicks the ball before any contact with #9. Even if he didn’t hit it first, #9 jumps in front of him to initate contact and at the slightest touch falls over. Clear dive and definitely not a “foul every time”.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Anyone have predictions for tomorrow? I’ve only personally seen WC play as they are in the same conference as my Knights, and the remaining teams are from the opposite side of the state as us.

#3 clearly kicks the ball before any contact with #9. Even if he didn’t hit it first, #9 jumps in front of him to initate contact and at the slightest touch falls over. Clear dive and definitely not a “foul every time”.
Not shoulder to shoulder (in fact a shoulder dip into the back-unfortunate for NV dude in that he might have been trying for the shoulder but Galvin outraced him). IA high school refs are going to call it from the back 90 percent of the time.

Dumb play by the defender in that it appears his CB was there to clean it up. Nevada watched WL film, they knew Galvin was going to take a dive every chance he had (there is a reason they had so many PKs). Be more disciplined. Don't put the ref in the position to make that call. [Disclaimer, I didn't watch the game and only saw that clip].

To call it the worst call ever is laughable. And I'm not a WL fan at all.

Anyone have predictions for tomorrow? I’ve only personally seen WC play as they are in the same conference as my Knights, and the remaining teams are from the opposite side of the state as us.
I think it's a crap shoot from here on out. WC is better than I imagined based on the highlights I saw. Hadn't seen them on film. I think they neutralize WL only offensive threat.

I'll take Assumption as well. I just haven't been that impressed with Beckman. Senior heavy team but no player that can change the game like a typical 1a champion has. The four games of theirs I've watched they got extremely gassed in the second half.

Yeah, that’s a dive. Galvin threw himself across the defender without even playing the ball. He knew what he was doing, and was trying for the call. He knew he had nothing from the sharp angle he was to goal.

Yeah, that’s a dive. Galvin threw himself across the defender without even playing the ball. He knew what he was doing, and was trying for the call. He knew he had nothing from the sharp angle he was to goal.
It was a dive... but the shoulder/forearm from the defender made it a very easy call. To deny this just means you don't like the WL smell from your house on the east side. 😋

I’ll take WC over West Liberty.
Assumption over Beckman.

Don’t enjoy Beckman’s style of just launch it and chase. Their fans were literally yelling ‘boot it!’ like it was 3rd grade soccer.

I’ll take WC over West Liberty.
Assumption over Beckman.

Don’t enjoy Beckman’s style of just launch it and chase. Their fans were literally yelling ‘boot it!’ like it was 3rd grade soccer.
Five years of not making state has made their fans insufferable. Have heard them a lot this season and are they not only loud, they are obnoxious, disrespectful, and most of them appear to have no clue about the game. They certainly weren't like that back in 16 and 17 (I think I have those years right) when they were good.

It was a dive... but the shoulder/forearm from the defender made it a very easy call. To deny this just means you don't like the WL smell from your house on the east side. 😋
Are you ignoring the fact that the defender wins the ball first before even touching him?

One last comment, I really like what appears to be increased parity across the state. I hope that the better schools from the west start to play a tougher schedule or that someone introduces a mid season 1A tournament to get more of these teams some competition before playoffs so we know what the records actually mean.

Also disappointed the RVC approved a mandatory soccer schedule. Who the hell wants to play cascade, WB, Anamosa, etc to get ready for post season play???

One last comment, I really like what appears to be increased parity across the state. I hope that the better schools from the west start to play a tougher schedule or that someone introduces a mid season 1A tournament to get more of these teams some competition before playoffs so we know what the records actually mean.

Also disappointed the RVC approved a mandatory soccer schedule. Who the hell wants to play cascade, WB, Anamosa, etc to get ready for post season play???
It’s tough in the west due to the lack of schools with soccer programs. I think there’s only 2 really districts worth of 1A teams on the west side of the state.

Are you ignoring the fact that the defender wins the ball first before even touching him?
Who was in front of the ball when the contact occurs? It's a play in the moment...I get it but you have to let up at that point knowing you have help in your center back.

Also he appears to be a D mid? Got totally beat by the run down the middle. He put himself in the position for the ref to make that call. I'll stand by my position all day. Sent it to refs and coaches and they said the same thing. Definitely not how you want to lose but that's soccer. I've seen much worse called at the state tournament.

It’s tough in the west due to the lack of schools with soccer programs. I think there’s only 2 really districts worth of 1A teams on the west side of the state.
Play up or get a tourney with WC, nevada, St Albert's, Carroll kuemper, West Central, dsm Christian, treynor, etc. The east side does that with their catholic schools tournament.

Reactions: rc1963
Play up or get a tourney with WC, nevada, St Albert's, Carroll kuemper, West Central, dsm Christian, treynor, etc. The east side does that with their catholic schools tournament.
I more meant that parity in a geographical sense at the state tournament will be hard due to there being only 2 schools that can really come from the west.

All those schools you listed are multiple hour drives for us and WC. Not saying it’s not doable but probably will never happen.

Our confrence is majority 2A so we do “play up” but if you mean 3A then that’s limited.

The RVC has Regina, West Liberty, former top ranked Mid Prairie, #2 seed West Branch.
Not sure of another 1A conference that deep at the top. Still be plenty of spots on the schedule for old rivalries and 3A schools.
But, if the rules change, you’ve got to adapt. Apparently your record now matters much more with the coaches no longer ranking teams.

I more meant that parity in a geographical sense at the state tournament will be hard due to there being only 2 schools that can really come from the west.

All those schools you listed are multiple hour drives for us and WC. Not saying it’s not doable but probably will never happen.

Our confrence is majority 2A so we do “play up” but if you mean 3A then that’s limited.
Yeah I get it. But a big tournament on one mid season weekend to travel two hours would be worth it. Just trying to figure out a way to help the seeding issues that are going on. You're not always going to get the best 8 teams to state but this year was a travesty.

The RVC has Regina, West Liberty, former top ranked Mid Prairie, #2 seed West Branch.
Not sure of another 1A conference that deep at the top. Still be plenty of spots on the schedule for old rivalries and 3A schools.
But, if the rules change, you’ve got to adapt. Apparently your record now matters much more with the coaches no longer ranking teams.
Not sure I follow. If regina for example fills the conference schedule (off the top of my head): WB, WL, MP, cascade, Anamosa, Monticello, Tipton.... that's basically half of their games that are largely uncompetitive at this point and serve no purpose other than padding the schedule. Is that really what you want? Playing your JV half the game?

So then if they play the catholic school and Nevada tournaments they only have a few games left to play up. I'd rather see and lose to a PV or Muscatine than Tipton or WB.

Tipton and Cascade are improving. Only a few of those would be uncompetitive.
Playing PV and CR Prairie didn’t help the team improve, it set them back. On the field, and in the rankings.
Mid Prairie rode a terrible schedule to the top ranking and a great seed. Only lost to West Liberty by 1 goal. Just like GR, Just like Nevada.
West Branch hand picked the worst opponents they could get, and it got them ranked and a #2 seed.
In the current set up, you’re playing for a #1 seed and to host the Substate Final, and then see what happens at State.

Playing PV and CR Prairie didn’t help the team improve, it set them back. On the field, and in the rankings.
Mid Prairie rode a terrible schedule to the top ranking and a great seed. Only lost to West Liberty by 1 goal. Just like GR, Just like Nevada.
West Branch hand picked the worst opponents they could get, and it got them ranked and a #2 seed.
In the current set up, you’re playing for a #1 seed and to host the Substate Final, and then see what happens at State.
So you are on the coaching staff? Bad take Pine. Playing Monticello, Anamosa, etc provides such little value. Hence why regina has only had one or two gimmes on the schedule. You are more about record. I'm more about improving. Seeing your son perform against bad competition does nothing for me. Just like I don't believe in playing favorites. It's all the same...sacrificing what you really are as a team to get better. Good to see some sports programs have integrity. I like that versus easy schedules, nepotism, etc.

Beckman in river valley. But then again we are insufferable.

Five years of not making state has made their fans insufferable. Have heard them a lot this season and are they not only loud, they are obnoxious, disrespectful, and most of them appear to have no clue about the game. They certainly weren't like that back in 16 and 17 (I think I have those years right) when they were good.
I cant fathom how you got disrespectful. The fans might of got a little intense at mariod but both sides did. I hope you arent affiliated with mt vernon as that kid punched my son requiring 21 stitches and a $950 bill. The MV fans (sitting on wrong side) berated and swore at him as blood gushed from his face. Just sounds like you are a little butt hurt.

I cant fathom how you got disrespectful. The fans might of got a little intense at mariod but both sides did. I hope you arent affiliated with mt vernon as that kid punched my son requiring 21 stitches and a $950 bill. The MV fans (sitting on wrong side) berated and swore at him as blood gushed from his face. Just sounds like you are a little butt hurt.
Not from Mt Vernon and no idea what that situation is about but it sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks your fans are over the top.

Sorry to hear about your son. Based on the description I'm guessing he's the keeper given the face mask. He's a quality player if so. Good luck today.

Wow,

And WL dives into the semis. Worst call ever
ok, I almost never comment on officiating, what happens happens and grousing about it doesn't change anything, but here is what lead up WL's winning PK.

Even worse than the call was blown, the interview afterward was just appauling. If that had been me, I would have sucked it up and been humble that you got a break, but to flex and tout how great you are....I know he's a kid, but ...

Yeah I get it. But a big tournament on one mid season weekend to travel two hours would be worth it. Just trying to figure out a way to help the seeding issues that are going on. You're not always going to get the best 8 teams to state but this year was a travesty.
Totally agree. 1A strength/development has largely come from schools taking the initiative to play up, find tougher competition to be challenged and play stronger.

I like the idea of a mid season tournament (or a few tournaments) that would shake up the competition, give exposure and drag the computer rankings kicking and screaming into more reality.

Related to the discussion about being forced to play a conference schedule, I guess the two thoughts there are Having this schedule MAY result in schools with a history of being weaker may be brought along. 1A MAY build their own strength. The opposite is that they may just give up. It seems like this is one of the few HS sports where that's an option. If you have a bad football program you either rebuild it or accept mediocrity (or worse). You don't start thinking, "maybe we should cut the program" or "who can we coop with."

Does Cooping give schools an opportunity to improve and eventually stand on their own, or does it create an environment of "we need to find a coop to remain viable?" I think the former is the intent of the process, but the latter is becoming the truth.

As for bracketting/seeding/ranking, I think the coaches association needs to re-take ownership ranking - it was stupid that it was subjegated to computer rankings that by everyone's admission were meanigless until at least week 6. Then the computer model needs to be re-vamped (and I think that's true across other sports.) I think the model was built on the NCAA model and the issues of parity aren't the same.

Reactions: JMSBFD
The computer rankings are worthless until week 6...but then they are utilized at week 8 to set the substate brackets....
So, they are very important for...about two weeks.
That does not seem like a good system.

Not from Mt Vernon and no idea what that situation is about but it sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks your fans are over the top.

Sorry to hear about your son. Based on the description I'm guessing he's the keeper given the face mask. He's a quality player if so. Good luck today.
Hes back midfielder. Short stocky wrestler

I don't agree about the computer vs coach's poll. For the most part the state was made of one or two seeds. The state games have been close, so I don't know what the complaint is. Who was wronged? I think the biggest beef you could have is what substate teams were put in.

I don't agree about the computer vs coach's poll. For the most part the state was made of one or two seeds. The state games have been close, so I don't know what the complaint is. Who was wronged? I think the biggest beef you could have is what substate teams were put in.
Prince of Peace

Saw a Tweet from a media guy talking about the bad behavior of fans at the state tournament this week. Any idea what has happened?

Saw a Tweet from a media guy talking about the bad behavior of fans at the state tournament this week. Any idea what has happened?
I heard that yesterday a WL parent ran onto the field during the game. I think it was a parent of an injured player. That might be what they are referring to?

WL fans are certainly passionate about their soccer, that's for sure. Also something on Twitter alluding to PV fans.

So dumb that the boys championship games aren't played on the main field. Overspill crowd close to the sidelines in the 1A game. Boone could f up a wet dream.

• Haha
Reactions: rc1963 and Hwkfn1
Non 1A related, I had the opportunity to watch PV play 4 times this season. I would say they are one of the top 5 iowa high school teams I've seen play in the last 15 years I've watched the game. Thought the final score would be decisive. Kudos to WNW for hanging.

No specifics in this article, but it references the treatment of the refs during the state soccer tournament.

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-h...-behavior-at-state-soccer-tournament/40211333
Embarrassing fans in my experience as a (very quiet) parent observing, and from a good friend who is a ref: Pella (and coach), CR Xavier, Cedar Falls, and Pleasant Valley (misnomer?), and Johnston.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT