ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs

Bosco's coaching is very good but it's all about the athletes that come into that program in Jr. high. Great athletes make coaches look like geniuses . If we are going to engage in honest conversation the first thing that has to take place is the acknowledgement that private schools have the advantage of no boarder restrictions. That is the single greatest difference.

i know Remsen is a private school and i still think all private school should be in a separate class. I don't think Remsen is the 2nd best team in 8 man. Like i said they got breaks in district play. They play in the hardest district hands down. Also you gotta look at location of the schools Bosco is just outside Cedar Falls so they have a larger talent pool to select from other than Remsen which is located in NW iowa. I don't know the numbers but i would say the ratio of kids is 2:1 at least in favor of Bosco. I cant hold that against them but if they have 30-45 kids out for 8-man football maybe they should go up a class????
Then how do you explain Waterloo Columbus who is 4-41 since 2011. If the Waterloo/CF area is such a hotbed for private school recruiting how does a private school not have success in the same area?

You made a claim that Bosco recruits. So the point were missing is Bosco picks and chooses who is accepted into the school and allowed to play football. Thats called recruiting. (Deeeerrp) So go ahead, like Moose_31 said, name one....no really its fine ill wait.

LOL go ahead a wait. If you believe that private schools don't have an advantage then you head is buried in the sand.

Then how do you explain Waterloo Columbus who is 4-41 since 2011. If the Waterloo/CF area is such a hotbed for private school recruiting how does a private school not have success in the same area?

LOL like you said coaching is a big part of it is it not????

LOL like you said coaching is a big part of it is it not????
I think Lenmaster put it better than I did obviously coaching isn't everything, but Dynamic athletes and less talented kids buying in and filling holes between gifted athletes are huge. That starts with culture that is brought with good coaching.

Reactions: Updike81
History wasn't kind to Bosco when they played "A" ball. I see them sticking with 8-man.

"8-Man" Ball - 73-4 record with 6 playoff appearances in 6 seasons - 3 state championships.
"A" Ball - 19-28 record with one playoff appearance in 5 seasons.

This post is totally ignorant. Of course they took a lot of loses in A early on. That first season in 2004 the entire group of starters hadn't played football for the previous 3-5 years since Bosco didn't have football before that. Then the next year and the following they were still a few years behind all the teams they were playing. The year they made the quarterfinals of A they had a young group lead by sophomore quarterback in Jake Hogan who would have led his team on a deep playoff run whether it was A or 8 man.

Your post was totally ignorant as I just proved.

This post is totally ignorant. Of course they took a lot of loses in A early on. That first season in 2004 the entire group of starters hadn't played football for the previous 3-5 years since Bosco didn't have football before that. Then the next year and the following they were still a few years behind all the teams they were playing. The year they made the quarterfinals of A they had a young group lead by sophomore quarterback in Jake Hogan who would have led his team on a deep playoff run whether it was A or 8 man.

Your post was totally ignorant as I just proved.
I do agree that establishing a program would be a valid reason for limited success in the early years, which I am fully aware of. I would say it is a bit of a coincidence that the tides did not turn until the class which occurred. It is hard to say the facts quoted are any form of ignorance - they are facts. That is one reason why I would personally like to see DB move up to class A - so they can prove themselves at that level (A) when clearly they are by far the best team in their current level (8-man). I always think it is in the kids best interest to play higher competition, especially when nobody else is challenging them.

This thread has gotten quite off topic. The point was that we need a better system to get the best teams to the dome. I thought the two best teams played today and Bosco showed everyone that it really didn't matter, because they would have crushed any team you put on that field today. Not at all a Bosco person, but how can you not respect what has been done there? As I said earlier, Bosco is not the problem, the playoff system is. Get that thing seeded.

Now, in regards to Bosco moving up to Class A - Why? Because they are good? That's a sad argument. Stay in 8 Player and everybody else get better.

Bosco recruiting - maybe, I don't know. None of us truly do. Regardless, you still have to play the game.

Best coaching staff - maybe. Hard to argue with the numbers. Obviously there are numerous staffs out there that deserve respect for the tradition they have built. Tough to say who is the best without taking in all the factors (enrollment, community support/attitude toward football, socioeconomic status, previous staffs, etc.)

Absolutely DB recruits students, every private school does, it's part of doing business. They've dropped from 110? to 85 beds in 4 years. They are probably willing to take every student who is willing to pay to go there, money has to be tight. I'd bet they'd love to 125 beds count and have to play A.

I doubt many 8-player (school admirations) care what class they play in they'd rather have more students for more $$$.

Reactions: Ted 5454 and K3814
I do agree that establishing a program would be a valid reason for limited success in the early years, which I am fully aware of. I would say it is a bit of a coincidence that the tides did not turn until the class which occurred. It is hard to say the facts quoted are any form of ignorance - they are facts. That is one reason why I would personally like to see DB move up to class A - so they can prove themselves at that level (A) when clearly they are by far the best team in their current level (8-man). I always think it is in the kids best interest to play higher competition, especially when nobody else is challenging them.

You are still cherry picking facts to fit your argument tho. If a team was up 50-0 and pulled their starters for the 4th and the game ended 50-25, the FACTS are that the team gave up 25, but anyone who can actually comprehend what they were watching would know the good team probably could have gotten a shut out if they wanted.

What actually happened when the switch came to 8 man was those that first class of kids that had been playing football their whole lives finally got to high school and it didn't hurt that they were led by an elite quarterback who was just starting to hit his stride as a sophomore. So again there are some more facts for you.

This thread has gotten quite off topic. The point was that we need a better system to get the best teams to the dome. I thought the two best teams played today and Bosco showed everyone that it really didn't matter, because they would have crushed any team you put on that field today. Not at all a Bosco person, but how can you not respect what has been done there? As I said earlier, Bosco is not the problem, the playoff system is. Get that thing seeded.

Now, in regards to Bosco moving up to Class A - Why? Because they are good? That's a sad argument. Stay in 8 Player and everybody else get better.

Bosco recruiting - maybe, I don't know. None of us truly do. Regardless, you still have to play the game.

Best coaching staff - maybe. Hard to argue with the numbers. Obviously there are numerous staffs out there that deserve respect for the tradition they have built. Tough to say who is the best without taking in all the factors (enrollment, community support/attitude toward football, socioeconomic status, previous staffs, etc.)

The argument of "everyone else get better" is so weak and so old.

I did hear some people talk that one of the exceptions to stay in 8 man was removed in regards to a certain school.........

How you gonna seed it if the West teams and East teams don't play during the year? You gonna seed better for the West just because you say the West is better? You can't judge it because Bosco is dominating the east. They are dominating everybody.

You are still cherry picking facts to fit your argument tho. If a team was up 50-0 and pulled their starters for the 4th and the game ended 50-25, the FACTS are that the team gave up 25, but anyone who can actually comprehend what they were watching would know the good team probably could have gotten a shut out if they wanted.

What actually happened when the switch came to 8 man was those that first class of kids that had been playing football their whole lives finally got to high school and it didn't hurt that they were led by an elite quarterback who was just starting to hit his stride as a sophomore. So again there are some more facts for you.
Again, aware of all the facts. The scores (margins) are completely irrelevant to the point made. The actual facts are easy to follow - DB didn't start to experience sustained success until they move to 8-man. Could that be because their program got "established" the exact same year as that change - yes, absolutely possible. Could that be because they just are more competitive at the lower class - yes, also absolutely possible. The fact is, we won't know until they move up a class (if they choose to do so). Until then, just a fun discussion to have on a message board. Take care!

Absolutely DB recruits students, every private school does, it's part of doing business. They've dropped from 110? to 85 beds in 4 years. They are probably willing to take every student who is willing to pay to go there, money has to be tight. I'd bet they'd love to 125 beds count and have to play A.

I doubt many 8-player (school admirations) care what class they play in they'd rather have more students for more $$$.
Haha...well I would maybe quit tooting my horn from Bosco if I had to sponsor the local Friday nite hero's football show every week on Friday nite TV to advertise for "student athletes" when I could do that during the regular news......haha......

I'm an old timer on Rivals who almost never logs in anymore but I really follow the IHSAA playoffs and went to the semis last Friday. And I am also a very devoted Brewers fan and have to ask if brewcrewman1 is too?
Oh yes...definitely a Brewers fan !!!

Again, I'm waiting to hear who was recruited. Svoboda? Sawvell? Rottinghaus? Are these athletes who magically appeared on the roster this year? No? I'm willing to bet these kids have are a part of families that were raised in the Bosco system.

Look on the other side of it. St. Mary's-Remsen suddenly has a kid show up his senior year, going D-1 for football, and transfers from his fathers coached team in North Carolina. Maybe there's more to the story there, so I'll leave it with how it looks.

Reactions: Ted 5454
Private schools absolutely have an advantage. Look a the facts:
The amount of private vs public schools. Obviously there are far far more public schools compared to private. Yet every year that ratio does not equal the teams that are in the playoffs year in and year out. Private schools are winning championships and are participating in the playoffs at an alarming rate.

Private schools absolutely have an advantage. Look a the facts:
The amount of private vs public schools. Obviously there are far far more public schools compared to private. Yet every year that ratio does not equal the teams that are in the playoffs year in and year out. Private schools are winning championships and are participating in the playoffs at an alarming rate.
This so true no matter how many times DB folks want to bring up Columbus. A public school has to take everyone. With that the percentage of engaged parents is greater. DB is very supportive which is to their credit. But they will never acknowledge the advantages they do have. There is a belief that if Yoder didn't stay at DB they would be not good at all. He almost left DB a few years ago.

This so true no matter how many times DB folks want to bring up Columbus. A public school has to take everyone. With that the percentage of engaged parents is greater. DB is very supportive which is to their credit. But they will never acknowledge the advantages they do have. There is a belief that if Yoder didn't stay at DB they would be not good at all. He almost left DB a few years ago.
The whole private vs public thing doesn't really bother me, I just don't like it when people just don't acknowledge it and see the facts. I also agree that it still takes great coaching to go along with great athletes to have success...no matter public or private.

Private schools typically have more success in athletics not because they recruit, but because of the type of people they attract. Private schools should not be punished nor held to a different standard because of that.

Private schools typically have more success in athletics not because they recruit, but because of the type of people they attract. Private schools should not be punished nor held to a different standard because of that.
Totally agree, I am not a parent yet but I assume when I become one a big factor going in to picking schooling, if given the choice would be the community the school is driven by and has created. That not only goes with sports but drama, band, ect. If a community can have a sense of pride in these things I think it goes a long way in building up young people who may have not had these outlets to use their talent in another school system. That goes for Private and Public schools alike.

History wasn't kind to Bosco when they played "A" ball. I see them sticking with 8-man.

"8-Man" Ball - 73-4 record with 6 playoff appearances in 6 seasons - 3 state championships.
"A" Ball - 19-28 record with one playoff appearance in 5 seasons.

Your facts are accurate although one major tidbit has been omitted. The 5 seasons you speak of were Bosco's first 5 seasons of playing football in their history as a school. The first several years they had a hard time getting a lot of the wrestlers to go out for football. Wrestlers have always been Bosco's source of pride and athleticism. Once that corner was turned, playoff appearances began in a big way. Add the factor of them dropping to 8 player and we see todays Don Bosco. I am confident they have had teams that could have competed for a class A tile and this years team would have been very competitive in class 1A perhaps competing for a title there as well.

Your facts are accurate although one major tidbit has been omitted. The 5 seasons you speak of were Bosco's first 5 seasons of playing football in their history as a school. The first several years they had a hard time getting a lot of the wrestlers to go out for football. Wrestlers have always been Bosco's source of pride and athleticism. Once that corner was turned, playoff appearances began in a big way. Add the factor of them dropping to 8 player and we see todays Don Bosco. I am confident they have had teams that could have competed for a class A tile and this years team would have been very competitive in class 1A perhaps competing for a title there as well.

Except this isn't true, the wrestlers were on the roster since day 1. Bosco was bad because the only group that had played organized football were the freshman. By the time that group was seniors, they were a decent 6-3 team.

Except this isn't true, the wrestlers were on the roster since day 1. Bosco was bad because the only group that had played organized football were the freshman. By the time that group was seniors, they were a decent 6-3 team.

Thank you for confirming some things. So what schools had the freshman gotten their organized football experience from if Bosco was not doing it? It sounds like they obviously came from other schools and why wouldn't the upperclassmen have any football experience at all yet suddenly the freshman do? This can't happen unless the word is going out that you are looking for a new generation of athletes that now fit that bill? Sounds pretty orchestrated to me.

You could use any students name. They are private schools. They therefore promote themselves (You can read recruit here also) they do not have a built in population base. So if they want to survive they get their name out into the public by talking to the parents and students about belonging to their student body.

Thank you for confirming some things. So what schools had the freshman gotten their organized football experience from if Bosco was not doing it? It sounds like they obviously came from other schools and why wouldn't the upperclassmen have any football experience at all yet suddenly the freshman do? This can't happen unless the word is going out that you are looking for a new generation of athletes that now fit that bill? Sounds pretty orchestrated to me.
Junior high catholic league....this isn't complicated. IC had its own team. (If you're not familiar - IC is the elementary/middle school for DB). Some of the upper classman played, but with very few options for high school ball, most focused on baseball and wrestling. (Also, if you didn't know, DB students used to have to go to Columbus to play HS, but only a handful ever took advantage of that).

The parents of those to-be freshman started DBs high school team after the conclusion of the middle school season after the passing of the middle school coach on the field at Columbus. They did so without funding from the school system as it was outside the budget. They found and paid for the field to rent, hired coaches (paid salaries), bought uniforms, donated concessions, etc.

So again - explain the recruiting because its quite entertaining to people who know the situation instead of speculating.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT