ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Predictions #2

Good predictions, but you can't have both Treynor and Osage on the road in the first round. They are the two lowest RPI teams when it comes to district champs, but only one of them will be on the road. Also, I don't think West Branch gets to host, because if Bellevue wins which I'm assuming you do, WB would be runner-up in that district.

Good predictions, but you can't have both Treynor and Osage on the road in the first round. They are the two lowest RPI teams when it comes to district champs, but only one of them will be on the road. Also, I don't think West Branch gets to host, because if Bellevue wins which I'm assuming you do, WB would be runner-up in that district.

I guess you didn't put Osage as the district champ which they have locked up

This is guessing SCC, VM, Pella, Bellevue finish top 4 rpi and
Osage is lowest District Champ rpi

W Lyon @ SCC
S Hamilton @ W Sioux

I-35 @ Treynor
Underwood @ Van Meter

Osage @ Dike
Mt. Ayr @ Pella Christian

West Branch @ Wilton
Mediapolis @ Bellevue

This is guessing SCC, VM, Pella, Bellevue finish top 4 rpi and
Osage is lowest District Champ rpi

W Lyon @ SCC
S Hamilton @ W Sioux

I-35 @ Treynor
Underwood @ Van Meter

Osage @ Dike
Mt. Ayr @ Pella Christian

West Branch @ Wilton
Mediapolis @ Bellevue

Not bad. I was looking and what if Osage passes Treynor. That means out west there would be mt ayr, treynor, i35, west lyon, and underwood all on the road bc treynor would the lowest rpi district champ..it would be uneven on the western half because there would be 5 of them and only 3 district champs with west sioux, ssc, and van meter, i assume maybe mt ayr would go east then? but then you still have 4 "at-larges" and 3 district champs

Not bad. I was looking and what if Osage passes Treynor. That means out west there would be mt ayr, treynor, i35, west lyon, and underwood all on the road bc treynor would the lowest rpi district champ..it would be uneven on the western half because there would be 5 of them and only 3 district champs with west sioux, ssc, and van meter, i assume maybe mt ayr would go east then? but then you still have 4 "at-larges" and 3 district champs
My shot at the playoffs with Osage passing Treynor.

Bellevue Vs South Hamilton
Dike vs Mediapolis

Wilton Vs West Branch
PC vs Mount Ayr

West Sioux vs Treynor
Van Meter vs Underwood

SCC Vs I35
Osage Vs West Lyon

Would be crazy with Van Meter and West Sioux playing in the quarterfinals, but that’s how the RPI works out and it’s not bad geographically as well.

Reactions: Charles86
My shot at the playoffs with Osage passing Treynor.

Bellevue Vs South Hamilton
Dike vs Mediapolis

Wilton Vs West Branch
PC vs Mount Ayr

West Sioux vs Treynor
Van Meter vs Underwood

SCC Vs I35
Osage Vs West Lyon

Would be crazy with Van Meter and West Sioux playing in the quarterfinals, but that’s how the RPI works out and it’s not bad geographically as well.

Not bad. Osage and Inwood are about 4 hours apart. Would the state do that?

Not bad. Osage and Inwood are about 4 hours apart. Would the state do that?
Who knows. With how this field looks either a lot are going to have to travel more then normal or a few teams are going to travel along ways.

While a two-hour+ drive would be annoying, at least it's on a Friday night and no more of this Wednesday, Monday stuff from a few years ago.

Reactions: Iabeastmode
How does this all shape up if Cascade beats Bellevue at home Friday r Beckman knocks off West Branch in Dyersville? I'd put the Cascade chance at at least 50-50, if not better, and the Beckman game 75-25 in favor of WB, but both are still definitely in play.

West Branch ain't losing to Beckman on Friday Red87

SteadyScout, you are seriously gonna make I35 drive 190 miles to Wilton in round one and make the #5 RPI team play at the #4 or 6 RPI team? I thought you'd learn.

Wilton, WB, Bellevue, and Mepo are going to be one of the quadrants. Pretty strong one to be honest. RPI # 1, 5, 7, 11. That's 24 total. Gonna be tough to beat that total.

How does this all shape up if Cascade beats Bellevue at home Friday r Beckman knocks off West Branch in Dyersville? I'd put the Cascade chance at at least 50-50, if not better, and the Beckman game 75-25 in favor of WB, but both are still definitely in play.

If Cascade and WB win, there will be a 3-way tie for the district championship and all 3 teams will qualify as champions since they all beat each other. Bellevue and WB would most likely still be in the top 8 district champions by RPI, so they would host a 1st round game, and Cascade would be one of 3 district champions on the road for the 1st round due to this 3-way tie.

If Cascade and Beckman win, then Cascade will be the district champion because they would own the head-to-head tiebreaker over Bellevue. Bellevue would certainly qualify as an at-large and WB would most likely still get in as an at-large, but would just depend on how far their RPI drops. Cascade at home in 1st round as the champ and Bellevue and WB on the road as at-large.

If Bellevue and WB win, then Bellevue is the champ, WB will be an at-large qualifier and Cascade would be out.

If Bellevue and Beckman win, then Bellevue is the champ, WB would most likely still get in as an at-large (again depends on drop in RPI but they sit at #6 overall right now) and again Cascade is out.

So Cascade is in a MUST WIN situation to get in, Bellevue is in win or lose, and West Branch is certainly in with a win and most likely gets in even if they lose.

Reactions: Red87
If Cascade and WB win, there will be a 3-way tie for the district championship and all 3 teams will qualify as champions since they all beat each other. Bellevue and WB would most likely still be in the top 8 district champions by RPI, so they would host a 1st round game, and Cascade would be one of 3 district champions on the road for the 1st round due to this 3-way tie.

If Cascade and Beckman win, then Cascade will be the district champion because they would own the head-to-head tiebreaker over Bellevue. Bellevue would certainly qualify as an at-large and WB would most likely still get in as an at-large, but would just depend on how far their RPI drops. Cascade at home in 1st round as the champ and Bellevue and WB on the road as at-large.

If Bellevue and WB win, then Bellevue is the champ, WB will be an at-large qualifier and Cascade would be out.

If Bellevue and Beckman win, then Bellevue is the champ, WB would most likely still get in as an at-large (again depends on drop in RPI but they sit at #6 overall right now) and again Cascade is out.

So Cascade is in a MUST WIN situation to get in, Bellevue is in win or lose, and West Branch is certainly in with a win and most likely gets in even if they lose.
Yet, none of those teams look like true contenders for the Championship.
In my opinion the only way Bellevue or West Branch get to the Semi Finals is if they play each other to get there. They would both fall to PC or DNH.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I dunno, as much as I don't personally like to admit it, WB has been pretty consistently strong - they've had their traditional lapse game, so if they're healthy I don't see a reason they couldn't contend. Bellevue could, with Clasen, not without (in my opinion.)

I agree with everything you said except your first paragraph. The state will decide on one true district champion through their tie breaking rules. In this case whoever has the higher RPI will be made district champ the other two teams go into the at large pool and would not get to host a home game in the first round.

I agree with everything you said except your first paragraph. The state will decide on one true district champion through their tie breaking rules. In this case whoever has the higher RPI will be made district champ the other two teams go into the at large pool and would not get to host a home game in the first round.

Yep, missed that. Good catch. So probably West Branch gets to host a 1st round game and Cascade and Bellevue would be on the road.

I adjusted my pairings, as I was thinking RPI played more favor to host, so went to look more in depth of the rules.

I will be interested to see how the state uses the RPI and geography for the pairings throughout each class. I would think they want to respect the RPI but to an extent as I don't think they want teams traveling more than 2 1/2 hours if they don't have to but that is just my opinion. That could easily be determined by which teams make it and where they are located.

I will be interested to see how the state uses the RPI and geography for the pairings throughout each class. I would think they want to respect the RPI but to an extent as I don't think they want teams traveling more than 2 1/2 hours if they don't have to but that is just my opinion. That could easily be determined by which teams make it and where they are located.
Mepo will be making a pretty good drive, Bellevue, PC or DNH, all 2-2.5 hours by car. Unless somehow matched up with Regina or WB. Of course they have to win tomorrow night as well to qualify.

Reactions: Charles86
Mepo will be making a pretty good drive, Bellevue, PC or DNH, all 2-2.5 hours by car. Unless somehow matched up with Regina or WB. Of course they have to win tomorrow night as well to qualify.
You can hope for PC - You can make that in under 2 hours (depending on Combine traffic)Oh, and the win tomorrow...

West Branch @ DNH would be a great first round game! Would be a fun game to watch.
I would love that match up, we could hear the West Branch crew cry baby about how unfair things are. I’m not trolling West Branch, just have never seen a school that wants everything given to them. They don’t want to earn anything.

I would love that match up, we could hear the West Branch crew cry baby about how unfair things are. I’m not trolling West Branch, just have never seen a school that wants everything given to them. They don’t want to earn anything.

LMAO, West Branch has earned EVERYTHING. There’s a reason why they have top 10 field in the state of Iowa. Why they have a Top 10 tradition in the state. There’s a reason they have a 90% home winning %. There’s a reason since 1982 they are 304-80 record overall. Do you want me to continue? Don’t make outlandish statements like that, makes you look dumb. Anyone with any high school football knowledge recognizes West Branch. I’m assuming your some young kid or adult with only knowledge of football since 2000. Do some research before you say they want everything handed to them.

LMAO, West Branch has earned EVERYTHING. There’s a reason why they have top 10 field in the state of Iowa. Why they have a Top 10 tradition in the state. There’s a reason they have a 90% home winning %. There’s a reason since 1982 they are 304-80 record overall. Do you want me to continue? Don’t make outlandish statements like that, makes you look dumb. Anyone with any high school football knowledge recognizes West Branch. I’m assuming your some young kid or adult with only knowledge of football since 2000. Do some research before you say they want everything handed to them.

or possibly a disgruntled former player of one of their rivals or maybe even a former Bear. Tea leaves are falling.

according to Butch's record West Branch is actually 303-75 (304 after tomorrow) since the beginning of the 1983 season.

If WB is not a bunch of complainers and whiners, can you please tell me when the last time that they have been in the district with Regina? They whined because they were always in the district with Regina and could not win. 8 miles apart and they have been in different districts for quite a few years. So you tell me about the history.

If WB is not a bunch of complainers and whiners, can you please tell me when the last time that they have been in the district with Regina? They whined because they were always in the district with Regina and could not win. 8 miles apart and they have been in different districts for quite a few years. So you tell me about the history.

Do you think West Branch setsthe districts for 1A football every 2 years? WB has no control of this. Any other brain busters?

Do Regina and WB have bad blood? Absolutely. Is WB Afraid of Regina? No, remember there was football before Marv Cook at Regina. WB had their way with Regina for a long time. Now that Regina has risen to the 1A power that they are. The rivalry has become much more intense. It’s actually really good for high school football.

Do you think West Branch setsthe districts for 1A football every 2 years? WB has no control of this. Any other brain busters?

Do Regina and WB have bad blood? Absolutely. Is WB Afraid of Regina? No, remember there was football before Marv Cook at Regina. WB had their way with Regina for a long time. Now that Regina has risen to the 1A power that they are. The rivalry has become much more intense. It’s actually really good for high school football.

Does WB set the districts? No. Does Butch carry a lot of weight and lobby for things? My guess is yes. He is a legendary, hall of fame coach and his opinion has sway. To look at how districts have been set and say otherwise is intellectually disingenuous.
There was football long before Marv and guess what, there was football at WB before Butch. When Regina was getting 50 points down at half with all of the same advantages they have now people didn't care what district they were in and tried to get them as their homecoming opponent as often as they could. I respect the heck out of Butch, look at his record, it is amazing. Some of the vocal minority of WB supporters and the Regina people who woke up on 3rd base and thought they hit a triple create the bad blood. People are people, good and bad on all sides.
Support your team, respect your opponents and don't tear down others and it makes fridays more fun.

Reactions: ISUfan00
Sorry, I stepped over the line. Butch has been very successful. But to everyone who is not from West Branch you do look a little sketchy. Don’t/Won’t play a team that’s 9 miles away have some how forced the state into never putting you in the same district. This caused matchups like South Hardin Vs Regina (130 miles apart) So your tantrums have consequences.

Sorry, I stepped over the line. Butch has been very successful. But to everyone who is not from West Branch you do look a little sketchy. Don’t/Won’t play a team that’s 9 miles away have some how forced the state into never putting you in the same district. This caused matchups like South Hardin Vs Regina (130 miles apart) So your tantrums have consequences.
Trust me, WB would love to play Regina. No tantrum necessary.

No dog in the fight here. But wouldn’t Regina and WB being in different districts be a good thing if both are powerhouses? People want the best possible playoff matchups in later rounds. It’s tiring listening to people complain about both schools.

Reactions: ISUfan00 and rc1963
I'm not a fan of West Branch and there are certain things I struggle to try to respect, but I do recognize their status, their tradition and the quality of the product they put on the field year after year.

As for the district, I don't think it's as clandestine as some would have it seem. I think the state wants to try (Note, I said "try") to not put contenders in the same district, so they can end up meeting in the playoff, hopefully later in the playoffs (hence the separation of the last alignment when the districts were paired up.)

It's really a shame, that could be a great rivalry, but it won't be because people can't let it be just a game.

Sorry forgot how combustible a conversation about West Branch gets. Let’s move on. Should be some great matchups tonight! Will be keeping a close eye on score stream. I’m headed to Regina. Predicting a team or two currently in the playoffs might get bumped tonight.

Rivals? Rivals? I'm sorry, but "rivals" that are 9 miles apart don't play each other in the regular season twice in 12 years. Somehow I think that might change if Regina continues to look vulnerable like they do this year. Gotta keep that shiny record pristine any way you can.

And don't give me the "West Branch doesn't set it's schedule" argument. They do have a say in their non-district games and word on the street is they're not putting their "rival" number one on the list. All you need to do is look a little further down the road to Solon and Mt.Vernon to see a true rivalry. Different classes? Solon winning multiple titles? RPI affecting playoff participation? None of that matters to them, they play each other EVERY year and that date is circled on the calendar. That's a rivalry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT