ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Slices?

712 Knight Rider

Freshman
Dec 11, 2006
Do you high school soccer players eat orange slices after a game, or do you get a box of Hi-C?

Do you guys practice? How many times a week? Does soccer exist in high school in Iowa?

Iowa City West (the Perennial 2A Power) was ranked in the Top 20, nationally at the end of the spring last year.

Ankeny was ranked in their as well. I think Adidas or ESPN sponsor that ranking.

I just went to see my old high school Winston Churchill play Ronald Reagan here tonight in San Antonio, and I must say that Churchill, ranked 7th in San Antonio by the San Antonio Express-News, would probably win the state crown in Iowa. And I play for an Iowa high school.

Well, in San Antonio anways, 1.1 million. So that's half the size of Iowa, just a little shy. My thought was if a school ranked 7th in San Antonio would be able to take the Iowa crown, how legitimate is a national ranking for an Iowa high school? I'm not a Texas homer, but the level of soccer is almost incomparable to Iowa. It's probably the year-round weather.

You are comparing apples to oranges my friend. Thats like saying The Patriots would win the Mountain West conference in college football. Big deal. That being said, i still dont quite understand where you are going with this? The level of competition here is great for what it is and Iowa has produced some fine soccer players. Heck travel 2 hours to the east and you are in Chicago. And there are a number of VERY good soccer teams there. Both at the high school and club level respectively.

Not trying to start an Iowa vs Texas war-zone here...but if you would like to spout off about how good Texas soccer is, go find a Montana message board and see what you can stir up there. Im sure there are a few people on dial-up that would love to hear your concerns.

Whom do you play for by the way?

Well said 4_1A_2_Nv,

Having watched teams in Region 2 play, seen outstanding Iowa players, and been down to 3v3 Nationals a number of times... the Midwest has pretty decent teams. I would think U18 Iowa club team (e.g. last year's CRSA team) that won State Cup around 7 times would give a #7 SA TX team a good match. Basically that is an equal comparision due to population size. And yes, I have seen Texas soccer since living there for over 15 years.

Create an Iowa vs Texas war-zone? Intelligent. Born in Iowa, raised here, a proud Iowan, thanks. But back on the subject of soccer and not regional distastes. I'm talking varsity to varsity, high school teams. Club? Comparing a high school team to club is comparing apples to oranges. I'm saying I find it very difficult to take an Iowa high school's "national ranking" as 'legit', when a team thats not even state ranked in Texas would beat these premier Iowa high schools. After all it's a "national ranking", and should therefore be comparable to all high schools across the nation.

Nearly all of the good high school soccer teams here play for the upper end club teams in this area. WDM, Menace, CRSA, VSA, ankeny, urbandale premier.. the good club players play for the good high schools typically. not sure what else to say.

so whom do you play for again? and what is your name?

Unless HS teams play against each other, this discussion will never end.

Just to add above reply, Iowa City West HS team is mainly made up of mostly ISC club soccer kids and are coached a ISC club coach. Also, I know in some areas, including Iowa, club kids do not play for their HS teams and just focus on their club teams. That is another variable when discussing HS teams across state borders. This is not the case for Iowa City West where the club kids are playing for their HS team.

a source close to me at ICW tells me that orange slices are delicious before AND after the game. dont know about the Hi-C. i think coach stiles is a real hard ass about that.
p.s. ICW will dominate everyone next year with 3 all-staters

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT