ADVERTISEMENT

Which Rankings do you trust the most?

PNation

Varsity
Aug 15, 2010
I know it's early, but from what I have saw these different outlets have high school rankings this year. AP, Radio Iowa, CR Gazette, Des Moines Register, KMA, JTB 24.7, and I might be missing someone. There are some similarities but also some major differences. My question is which one do you guys think is the best or do you trust the most. I kind of think that the CR Gazette does the best job, but I don't think any are terrible.

Then you also have BC Moore, which maybe don't take full effect until after week 3.

brewsters-millions-none-of-the-above-3c3db00b40b2939d.jpg

KMA has probably been my go-to. Since they started doing state rankings they have been pretty solid. A lot of the others forget there is anything west of I-35.

Interested in a new one - IAFootball - The same outfit that has done IAWrestling online (Rokfin) has emerged on the scene. Don't know much about them other than they're making a pretty big splash on FB and YouTube. They're doing some online analysis, interviews and rankings. Apparently they are going to have a Friday night show live on YouTube. Since the papers have almost abandonned coverage, it's nice to see someone step up.

I know it's early, but from what I have saw these different outlets have high school rankings this year. AP, Radio Iowa, CR Gazette, Des Moines Register, KMA, JTB 24.7, and I might be missing someone. There are some similarities but also some major differences. My question is which one do you guys think is the best or do you trust the most. I kind of think that the CR Gazette does the best job, but I don't think any are terrible.

Then you also have BC Moore, which maybe don't take full effect until after week 3.
I don't know how much faith I'd put in Moore even after three weeks. What happens on the field too often still isn't reflected in his rankings.

Example. Lewis Central travels to Adel and gets a 7 point road win yet ADM remains ranked over LC according to the computer.

Because it takes until week 4 for the data to be 100% current season.
Computers don't play football and dont see reality. That has always been the fault with BCs rankings. I recall a year that Regina won the title and still finished the season ranked #3 by that dude's computer.

Reactions: stickman80
Maybe I'm the only one out of touch, but did you realize the state was going to do rankings after Week 5?

"Classes 2A, 1A, A, and Eight-Player will now each feature a rankings committee made up of six individuals: Two former head coaches and one media member, each representing different state regions, and three IHSAA staff members. Like the IHSAA’s 2022-23 basketball format, committees will create a consensus-based top 10 ranking with the intention of improving the IHSAA’s postseason assignment and seeding process.

Classes 5A, 4A, and 3A has used RPI since 2018 and the formula will continue to be used for postseason qualification and seeding. "

Because it takes until week 4 for the data to be 100% current season.
And often it still means very little even much much later in the season. I can remember a few years back when two years in a row South Central Calhoun beat Madrid in the championship game.....but Madrid was ranked above them in the final poll. Hopefully kids dont pay attention to what the computer says and leave it on the field.

And often it still means very little even much much later in the season. I can remember a few years back when two years in a row South Central Calhoun beat Madrid in the championship game.....but Madrid was ranked above them in the final poll. Hopefully kids dont pay attention to what the computer says and leave it on the field.
It was Not the championship game that was the semifinals each year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT